Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_m_gw

Questions on Whirlpool Velos

jon_m
18 years ago

Hello All,

I work for Whirlpool and just thought I would open up the line if anyone had any questions about the new Velos Microwave Convection Oven, model number GH7208XR?

Jon_M

Comments (145)

• chasatkins
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We are considering buying a Whirlpool Gold Velos GH7208XR. It needs to vent a cooktop comprised of a Gaggenau gas 2-burner module (no problem) and an electric barbecue grill (problematical). The vent will run up to the ceiling and then from there to the outside. Our appliance guy says we need a vent hood with at least 650cfm, but we are limited in space and cannot install both a vent hood and an oven. Consumer Report says the Whirlpool Gold Velos does the best of an OTR for venting, but not as good as a real vent hood (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/ranges/range-hoods-8-06/overview/0608_range-hoods_ov.htm). I understand that so the question is how well do you think the Whirlpool Gold Velos will handle the smoke from the BBQ grill? I called Whirlpool and was told 'unofficially' the vent used to be rated at 300cfm (until Whirlpool removed that information from its material). We tried a Dacor POR30 which was advertised at 300cfm (http://ww1.dacor.com/products/product_page.asp?ID=pcor30) and it did not do the job (it hardly sucked a paper towel up to the filter so I doubt it really was 300cfm); Dacor took it back when I challenged them that it did not vent as advertised. Thank you for your assistance.

• jon_m
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chasatkins,
    Thanks for the inquiry.
    The CFM is rated at 300 and is very efficient. I recently had the opportunity to see extreme steam in a pot being sucked up in to the vent. I would have to say I have not seen any other products that do this as effectively. As for your BBQ I dont know. There are a lot of variables there. Yes the regular vents will have more venting power. Maybe some of the other owners of the Velos here can give you some feedback on its true power or maybe one of your local dealers may have a demo model you can experience. I wish you the best on your decision.
    Thanks
    Jon_M

• jon_m
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a Bump.

{{gwi:1392621}}

• gsenthil
    17 years ago

Jon I dont see the Monochromatic SS model on the website. Is it still available? Is there aconversion kit from the SS model to the monochromatic one?

• gsenthil
    17 years ago

How come the equivalent Kitchenaid model is cheaper?

• effiemyrtle
    17 years ago

gsenthil: From the link you gave, it appears that the KA only has the microwave and halogen/quartz light technologies. The Whirlpool Velos has these two technologies plus it functions as a true convection oven. The convection feature is a great addition, particularly when you can combine it with microwaving, as you can in the Velos.

• gsenthil
    17 years ago

How does the KitchenAid KHMS2050S compare with the Velos 6208 and 7208?

• effiemyrtle
    17 years ago

It looks like the KA is similar to the Velos 6208 in function, but the KA has a removable shelf which the Velos does not have (a waste in my opinion). The Velos appears to have a different type of touch pad. Both Velos' have a smooth glass touch pad (you can read about the technology if you google far enough). It doesn't look like the KA has the same type of touchpad - it looks like the old pressure sensitive kind, but the details on the KA website don't say much. The difference between the Velos 6208 and the Velos 7208 appears to be the convection which gives you an extra oven that you can use with up to (I think) 30 or 40 percent microwaves to help hurry things along.

I didn't even look at the KA's (long standing prejudice) but had trouble finding a Velos on display. I had the 7208 installed about a month ago and am really enjoying it.

• effiemyrtle
    17 years ago

jon m, When grilling, does placing the sizzle pan under the grill grid serve a purpose other than catching juices, etc.?

• jon_m
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All,
    I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday weekend. I checked with the order desk and the GH7208XRY monochromatic SS can be ordered by your local dealer and has a 2 wk ship time. As for the comparisons on the WP Velos and the KA model. Effiemyrtle has it down. The KA model is more of a normal microwave and cooks at 50 percent a hundred percent of the time using Optimawave technology.. This feature disperses the microwaves into the unit in many directions. Very powerful unit and microwaves wonderfully, just not as versatile as the WP Velos.

As for grilling and the sizzle pan.

Yes it actually helps the grill process. The quarts and halogen heaters heat the sizzle pan and this steps up the browning. It is a form of conduction. While it doubles as a catch all it really is necessary for cooking effectively.

KA Prebuy Team 1-800-422-1230
    WP Prebuy Team 1-800-253-1301

Neither prebuy team can sell you a product directly but can definitely shine a light on questions you may have on the products.

I have also added a new video link for the Velos. Enjoy.
    After pics load then click on demo. Must see for those who have never seen the Velos.

Thanks,
    Jon_M

• glass_beads
    17 years ago

Jon_M, I posted this in another thread before I found this thread. I'm trying to figure out if the speed cook (non-Velos model) will be sufficient for me. Here's my post from the other thread:

I'm trying to stick to a tight budget on my appliances and had planned to order the Whirlpool G2max Speed Cook mw(GH6177XP) -- it seems like I can do just as much with this model as I'd be able to do with the next model up, the Velos (GH6208XR). Am I way off base here?

Anyone have any good comments and reviews of the less expensive model or should I bite the bullet and go with the next one up. I *really* can't afford to go with the velos convection (GH7208XR) which is a step above the velos model listed above.

Do you find you're using these advanced microwaves INSTEAD of your oven a lot? If so, perhaps I should go with a less expensive range and set the difference to towards a pricier microwave. It's all so confusing, that's for sure!

• epjenk
    17 years ago

Can the Velos be mounted undercounter w/in warranty? We were going to get an advantium and found out if can't go undercounter, so right now we are getting the KA. Velos looks a little more versatile if it can go undercounter.

• effiemyrtle
    17 years ago

glass beads: best thing to do might be to examine how you use your conventional oven. If you bake a lot of really large items or a number of different foods at once, you might want to keep your budget for your range. I have had a micro/convection oven for over 10 years and use it for everything except baking batches of cookies, or anything else that I need two racks for. I have made my turkeys in either the microwave or micro/conv for 30 years.

I am not someone who plans my meals ahead, so I have always used my microwave a lot. The Velos (and probably the KA) thaws things beautifully - the first microwave I've had that didn't partially cook edges of the food while it is thawing.

I haven't used the halogen light enough to really pass judgment on it, but so far it has reheated pizza and breaded meat, keeping it pretty crisp, baked a few cookies or rolls very well, and grilled some great pork chops.

I figure it is much quicker and cheaper to use the micro/conv feature instead of my regular oven. I use it for things such as banana bread, meatloaf, brownies, etc. It is one of the features that sold me on the 7208. It also provides you with a second oven which does come in handy for company. I can't remember ever just convectioning without adding a touch of microwave to it.

I initially started out looking for a new range with a convection oven, but my DH talked me into looking at an advantium. That was before we heard about the Velos. So far, I'm happy with my decision. The Velos just seemed to have so many advantages over the advantium.

I didn't understand jon m's statement, "The KA model is more of a normal microwave and cooks at 50 percent a hundred percent of the time using Optimawave technology." Did you leave something out, jon m?

Take advantage of the prebuy toll free numbers. The Whirlpool people answered several of my questions. One lady even put me on hold while she walked down to the engineering department to get an answer.

Good luck on your decision.

• jon_m
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All,
    I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all for you questions and I have really enjoyed getting to know allot of you. I am taking another assignment within WP. I am sure there will be someone else along very shortly to help answer your questions. Best wishes to you all.
    Jon_M

• glass_beads
    17 years ago

Thank you Effiemyrtle. It was such a difficult choice and I hope I don't regret it, I decided to skip the Velos and go with the (6177) G2 speed cook which is a step below the Velos line. I think (hope) it will be sufficient for our needs. I ordered yesterday and the unit will be in next Thursday. I'm so eager to try it out. Many nights I find myself turning on the oven just for a small piece of salmon so I'm hoping that this mw will work well for small meals like that. This thread is great -- I hope I made the right decision in going with the lesser model.

• effiemyrtle
    17 years ago

Glass beads, Sometimes it is a relief to just have the decision made! I know I agonized for a couple weeks between an Advantium and the Velos. Haven't tried salmon yet, but the speed cook did a great job on a couple pork chops w/some bbq sauce basted on towards the end. I've also cooked a couple boneless chicken breasts. Meat turns out really moist. The only thing I've tried speedcooking that was a disappointment was some frozen shoestring potatoes. Just wish there were more recipes available. I ordered the cookbook for the G2 mentioned above, and was disappointed in the number of recipes available for speedcooking - it was mostly microwave recipes. I'm going to try some of the advantium (110) recipes on GE's website and see how they work in my oven. I've been on vacation the past week, so back to the kitchen this week.

I hate to see jon m leave - hope his replacement is as informative.

• shoil
    17 years ago

Hi Jon,

Best of luck in your new position at Whirlpool and thank you for all your help and informtion.

• jrog
    17 years ago

If you are looking at purchasing the Velos, one important thing to at least be aware of, the interior of the Velos is coated with a PTFE based non stick coating (they can't use the term Teflon since that is a Dupont trademark but PTFE is also the primary ingredient in Teflon). If you look at the early posts in this thread we had ordered a Velos for our new kitchen but as soon as we started reading info on the suspected dangers associated with overheating non stick surfaces we decided to cancel our order for the Velos. We really agonized over this decision since we really liked the features of the Velos. I can't say one way or another whether non stick coatings are indeed dangerous but we have two small kids and for us it just wasn't worth taking any chances/risk just because we liked the features of the Velos better than some other units out there. It's one of those things you probably have to decide for yourself. But I will say this ... everything I have read says that once non stick surfaces are heated above about 450 degrees they start to "off" toxic gases. Now I know the maximum baking temp of the Velos is 450 but I am not sure how hot the surface of those halogen bulbs get. I also know that when you microwave things like popcorn (whose bags are lined with non stick coatings - google teflon) the steam in the bag gets hotter than that as well. I also called/emailed Whirlpool/Dupont/jon_m and asked if any safety testing had been done to see what exactly happens to non stick surfaces when they are exposed to microwave radiation (which tends to also affect the molecular structure of the item being cooked). I never received ANY concrete information - positive or negative. It was as if nobody had done the testing of non stick coatings in a microwave since most people associate non stick with metal fry pans.

What also concerns me is that other companies are now starting to incorporate chemical (99% of the time PTFE) based non stick coatings (as opposed to enamel baked coatings like ovens used to have) in their conventional/convection ovens, steam ovens, toaster ovens, and microwaves. I suggested to Jon that perhaps Whirlpool should offer a version of the Velos that does not have a chemical based non stick interior. I guess until enough people start voting with their pocketbooks the appliance companies will continue to use non stick coatings.

Like I said, you all need to decide for yourself whether non stick coatings pose a health threat but you should at least be aware of what the coating in your appliances is made of. It's really too bad since I also saw that one of the most popular steam ovens discussed on this forum also seems to have a non stick coating applied as does one of the highest rated toaster ovens on Amazon.

• Stevia_
    17 years ago

Teflon or other non stick coating is an issue that influences my purchasing decisions.

• mommajean
    17 years ago

Jrog, Thank you for the informative information. If you dont mind me inquiring...which one did you eventually go with to purchase then??? thank you.

• jrog
    17 years ago

mommajean,

When we found out about the PTFE based non stick coating we literally had a day to decide on an alternative OTR. Because the Velos was considerably taller than most everything else on the market (most of which are pretty standard), it was going to affect our custom cabinet design/order. So we ended up choosing the Kenmore Elite OTR #80823. I probably would have gone with an Advantium if they offered one without that crazy knob control (I wanted a numeric keypad as mentioned in an earlier post). While I thought I really did want the speed cook functionality, most people we talked to had just OK things to say about it (either it wasn't significantly faster or they didn't like the cooking results). The nice thing about the Kenmore is that you can just use the convection oven functionality without any microwaves (I believe some of the advantiums do not let you do that) and you can do combo cook which combines the two but you are not forced to use both. I am quite pleased with the Convection cooking performance - it does offer that 100 degree warming setting that Jon_m said they dropped from the Velos. Another benefit is that the Easy Clean stainless finish and handles exactly matches our Kenmore All Frig/Freezer pair (ie twins) and Frigidaire Pro slide in range with warming drawer since I believe all three are made by Frigidaire. On the downside I do not think the venting (we have it hooked up to an outside vent) is as good as the Velos although about on par with other 300CFM OTR's. You also do not have the capacity that the Velos had but if someone comes out with a combo speed cook/REAL STEAM OVEN/microwave/convection OTR oven that does not have Teflon all over it (boy would that be nice ) I can at least swap out to it b/c now my cabinet height/opening is a fairly standard size unlike the one that the Velos required.

• chasatkins
    17 years ago

Purchased a monochromatic GH7208XRY1 (it sure looks nice) and no sooner had we installed it when it stopped working! All that was running at the time was the fan (on Med). The electrical outlet it is plugged into works fine (as is the circuit breaker), but the Velos does nothing (as if it is not getting power). I called the warranty number in the Use & Care Guide (1-800-253-1301) and they told me they only provide warranty service for Maytag not Whirpool! Is there anyone out there who has experienced this (either the Velos stopping completely or being told no warranty service)?

• pili_2006
    17 years ago

We just bought a Whirlpool Velo GH7208XRY1 and used it to steam frozen vegetables and cook four pieces of fish. After the food was done, the oven went through a 10 minute cool down, which is normal. However, after a few minutes we heard a beeping sound and an error message appeared in the control panel (Error F2.Q1 Touch FMEA) We cannot clear the error and the microwave does not work. We tried to call assistance but they were closed for the night - we'll try in the morning. Has anyone out there experience this type of problem and what is the cause?

• effiemyrtle
    17 years ago

chasatkins, Make sure it isn't in learning mode. I was gone a couple nights ago and DH tried to microwave something and it wasn't working. Found out it was in learning mode. Took it out of learning mode and it was working fine.

• chasatkins
    17 years ago

Nope, not in Learning Mode nor anything else. Dead. Nothing on the display. Nothing works (no fan, no lights, no display). Did get ahold of Whirpool Warranty repair so we shall see.

• chasatkins
    17 years ago

Dealer switched out OTR with a new one. Very dissapointed. New one works except that there is something wrong with the fan; while it does a very good job evacuating the smoke from the grill, the fan is very noisy on low and medium, but not when on high! I think the quality control on this unit is pretty bad. Will try it for a few weeks to see if this one keeps working; I cannot say I would recommend it so far.

• cork2win
    17 years ago

I've searched and searched and unless I'm totally missing it, Whirlpool is only making the Velos in an OTR style, correct? I need a wall oven type. Does anyone know if Whirlpool is planning on making the Velos in a wall oven version?

• enenon
    17 years ago

Hi - I also have a Whirlpool Velos microwave and just noticed the same error message in the control panel (Error F2.Q1 Touch FMEA). What's the resolution? Of course, this would happen on a Saturday and Whirlpool customer service doesn't open until Monday morning.

Thanks much!

• footballmom
    16 years ago

Just wanteed to know if the Velos owners are happy. you have all had them for a while now.......

• effiemyrtle
    16 years ago

I've had mine for a year and LOVE it. I cook almost everything in it and am always delighted with the results. I have two complaints: the popcorn sensor does not do well with a full size bag of popcorn, and mine seems to lose the programming if you open the door to stir or rearrange, etc., for more than just a few seconds. Does anyone else have this problem?

• glass_beads
    16 years ago

Effie, I went with the model just below the velos (the speedcook). I find I tend to use mostly preprogrammed settings so I haven;t noticed losing programming when I have the door open...but as far as popcorn is concerned, I love the popcorn sensor in my unit. I'm finding it very reliable.

I'm honestly not using the mw to its fullest, yet find I use it a heck of a lot more than I've ever used a mw before. I'm fine with the fact that I went with the model below the Velos since this one still has features that are useful to us.

• sholt576
    16 years ago

I've had my Velos for over a year now. I love it and wish I loved all of my appliances as much.

One problem we have with it: when preparing a meal, its always in use for something when we want to use it for something else. We laugh and think about getting a counter top microwave so that we can have another available since the Velos is always doing something.

A second problem: the buzzer for the timer is too quiet, and only beeps a couple of times. So, if I hear it (which is unlikely if I'm in the other room), I'm free to ignore it and it quickly stops beeping and I quickly forget that it ever happened. I always use a secondary buzzer if timing is important.

We don't use it to its fullest. I don't tend to speedcook things because for the items I would be speedcooking, I already know how to cook them just fine in the traditional method.

I don't bake cookies in it because I love my cookies already. Why mess with perfection, you know? Plus, its extra noise in the kitchen and with small children running about, more noise is something I don't really need. Also, after baking something, the fan stays on for awhile to cool the oven, so that means there's not only extra noise while doing meal prep, but also during meal consumption.

But, for the things we do use it for, we adore it. We grill steaks in it during the winter. We grilled brats in it today. We bake potatoes, cook rice, poach or fry eggs. I love that you stick the rice in and fix the rest of the meal, and you never have to give the rice a second thought until you're ready to serve it.

I love my Velos.

• sor_sordogg_net
    16 years ago

Just wanted to clarify on the 'teflon poisoning'. From the studying I've done on the subject, it's true that when teflon burns it releases toxic gases, but just to put it into perspective, when the FDA was approving teflon as a non-stick coating, they found that the toxicity of burning teflon was lower than that of burning your average cooking oils.

• mlso
    16 years ago

By the way, I just got my Velos installed and it works great. I like that it can reduce actual microwave power rather than pulsing between full and off like the vast majority of ovens do. So far I've done thin sliced boneless pork chops, cinnamon rolls, and pizza and they all turned out good.

My advice to anyone new to this oven is twofold. First, if you want to use the quick menu, just trust it. It will ask you how you want to cook something and tell you what to do. Second, don't get so caught up in the quick menu that you forget that you can manually enter settings and use it like a normal microwave or convection oven!

• bethv
    16 years ago

If you're looking for a built-in micorwave that compares to this, the only one is the KitchenAid KBHS109 - it's a true built in. It has all the same features but is only 1.5 cubic feet and it's $1400. So we're going to mount ours over a counter top. We'll trim out the bottom and sides to give it a built in look.

The bottom back of the microwave is 18" tall and the front is only 15", so you need a side panel to hide that. Also it's 15" deep not 12". But that's where the extra space comes from : ) Here's a view of what it will look like.

(or you could see it if I knew how to attach the pictures!!)

• okayfine
    16 years ago

What is he difference between the velos and the kitchen aid KHHC2090S ? They have almost identical specs. Thanks.

• gozalyn
    16 years ago

bump - I'm curious to what's the difference with the Kitchenaid version as well.

• bethv
    15 years ago

Ok, this is a late follow up, but from what I found the difference are that the high-end KitchenAid is a true built in but is 1.5 cubic feet instead of 2.0. The Velos is OTR. The KitchenAid is more expensive. I'm not sure if these are the KA model numbers you're referring to.

• darlindeb4
    15 years ago

Jon,
    I've tried to post this several times, so if you have gotten multiple copies, my apologies. Thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge. I am having a Velos delivered at the end of the week. In preparation I printed out its manual from on-line. I am not clear on one thing regarding the convection cooking feature: When trying to put my own cook times and temps in for cooking do I put in the oven temp that the recipe actually calls for (this is assuming that the Velos automatically makes the adjustment) or do I decrease the temperation about 25 degrees as I've been reading elsewhere that I should do?

• jim_bo
    15 years ago

We just moved in to our new home. We bought the upgraded Whirlpool package and the GH7208xrs Microwave (Velos) was the microwave we picked out. We seem to be having a problem with the touch screen. We were sitting in our family room when we heard multiple beeping sounds coming from the microwave. When I went to investigate I observed the touch screen menu was advancing on its own. I tried to cancel the action but the screen is inoperable when it is working on its own. Has anyone had this problem? I have contacted the appliance company and requested service. I haven't heard back from them yet.

• formerbuckeye
    15 years ago

I am seriously considering buying the GH7208xrs but am somewhat concerned by the problems reported on this site. To those of you who experienced problems, please let me know if they were resolved. Also, is there anyone else who can give me a review on this oven before I buy it? Thanks.

• jondoe888
    15 years ago

We just got our Velos today. It is replacing our Kenmore Elite, which was plagued with problems. After 18 service calls in 4 years, Sears finally agreed to replace it, thanks to our pricey 10 year appliance warranty.
    (We somehow got an expired sales price and a double rebate, plus a small dent, covered by the cabinets, got another $80 off. So we paid less than half price. We got a credit of $660 for a new one, and paid $140 for the Velos! Hope it is reliable. If it wasn't for the warranty, the Elite would have been in the trash long ago... which is right where it is at this moment)
    Thank you, Jon, and all others, who post information on these new cooking options. This seems like uncharted territory, and it is nice to be able to share our experiences.

• jondoe888
    15 years ago

This is pretty low tech (esp. for a $$$ machine), but if you are letting bread rise, the perfect place to do it is in the microwave. Bring 2 cups of water to boil, insert dough pan, and the MW will hold the ideal temp for a couple of hours.
    I hope everyone has tried the no-knead bread recipe in Cooks Illustrated.

Also, I was thinking about the speed cook light, and realized this was likely similar to that (as advertised on TV!) pizza cooker that had a heat source above and a turntable below. It should cook as well in the MW - or better.

I see jon m hasn't posted since 9-06. What a shame! Has anyone taken his place?

• tuba_paul
    15 years ago

Anyone who went with a Velos care to share feedback on how they like it now that they've had it awhile?

• rjoe
    15 years ago

Why I would love to comment on our Whirlpool Velos! We bought ours in May of 2007 and when it works...it works great. When it doesn't it takes A LONG time to get fixed.

As a matter of a fact I just got off the phone with Sears a few minutes ago scheduling a new repair on it. This is now the third failure of the microwave! And technically it would have been the fourth because the vent fan actually broke (again) not long after the previous repair but we could live without that because it was not worth the hassle of dealing with the Sears repair service.

They have now on the two previous repair trips replaced nearly everything (I am not exaggerating!) inside the microwave on both occasions. This has on each case taken up to 6 visits.

Here is how the most recent "repair" process went.
    First visit - "yep, its broke. But this Microwave is so big I can't get it down myself and check everything and they did not schedule another tech so we will have to come back"

Second visit (a week or two later) - "yep, it is still broke! We think the problem is this board, can we leave the microwave sitting on your counter?"

Days go by, the part arrives, I call to schedule

Third visit (a week or two later) a different tech arrives "Wow thats a big microwave! I have never worked on one of these before"..... long discussion with support people over the phone after installing the part...."well that did not do it. We are going to try this now"

Days go by, the part arrives, I call to schedule

Fourth visit (a week or two later) - I get an automated call the night before "your tech is scheduled to arrive between 8 & 8:30 AM". 11 o'clock rolls around and the tech finally calls "our computers were down" at this point I need to be brining my wife to the airport so we have to reschedule.

Fifth visit (a week later) - The tech never calls to say they are coming, shows up when I am gone for 15 minutes.

Sixth visit, on a Friday - Tech arrives 4 hours late, and alone. Fixes microwave and manages to get it up with my assistance. I am shown the repair bill, right around $600. Thank goodness I paid through the nose for the extended warranty for this piece of junk.

Friday night - the vent fan quits working.

Monday - The microwave quits half way through browning some meat.

Tuesday - I call to reschedule...they are due here on Thursday between 8-12....stay tuned!

For a $1,000 microwave you would expect *maybe* a bit better quality of the components????

• beckyandcats
    15 years ago

Wow, it's really depressing to see how problems with the Velos are piling up. We bought one a little more than a year ago, and it failed with the same error message that I have seen mentioned elsewhere: "F2.Q1 Touch FMEA." I assume that this means that the touch pad is dead, a supposition supported by the fact that for a few months before it died completely, the touch pad started acting as if ghosts were touching it--we'd suddenly hear beeping and look up to see that the machine was going through a series of menu pages (though it never actually started the microwave).

This is extremely disheartening, as is the fact that we emailed Whirlpool about it 3 days ago and have heard nothing back. We are thinking of just buying a new one--it certainly would be easier than waiting through 6 (!) technician visits--though it seems insane to throw good money after bad. But we have a sort of custom space for this machine and don't have a lot of options for replacement OTR microwaves.

I'd be most grateful to hear from anyone who had this error message and how simple (or not) it was to get it fixed.

thanks,

Becky

• cynthreab
    14 years ago

We installed our Velos finally sometime in August 2007. We have loved it for its versatility and we use it as a microwave (usually) (including its steam capacity and sizzle cook - which can also use the "grill" function) a convection oven (putting in a whole chicken in it is a delight), and the "grill" function. There is probably not one day when it isn't used for one thing or another.

However, we, too, have had problems, albeit (knock on glass) nothing as bad as described above. Other than sometimes questionable design, the problem is that the technicians are simply not trained how to repair the Velos.

The first problem we had was that the convection oven wouldn't ever stop preheating - and if I forgot about it preheating, it would just stop! At least the technician tried hard and installed and uninstalled the beast twice to get the various parts in it. It never solved the problem, but the thing does heat, it just doesn't know that it's at the right temperature (something I could easily check if I could at least remember to get an oven thermometer).

The second problem we've had is that when we open the door, the Velos resets itself (clock included). When we had the guy come repair it, he claimed that it was because it wasn't plugged all the way (which it appeared not to be) and he plugged it in and it appeared to have fixed the problem. He also tested it and said it was heating fairly well (although probably not to 400 degrees). What was interesting is that he said straight out that he'd never worked on a Velos, that he wasn't trained to work on a Velos, and that whatever the problem was, he wouldn't really need to fix it anyway because there probably was some workaround. He then went on to tell me that the charge to come plug in the Velos cost more than our howmany ever year warranty we'd purchased!

Of course, it's still a problem - and the Velos is still plugged in. My consolation is that I look at some of the other posters who couldn't even use the thing - and I just don't bother setting the clock - and I oftentimes have to reset automatic functions because when I open the door (sometimes as instructed), it "reboots". To go along with that, we purchased the thing in a scratch and dent - even though it probably cost as much or more than our Whirlpool range.

I, too, am waiting for someone to develop a cookbook. Although the automatic settings are usually great, there are sometimes when I would like to convention bake something - and there's no automatic program for it.

One other note: it tends to overcook frozen veggies and asparagus. So check them every now and again (although it does tend to disrupt the sensor - although it's not a huge deal).

With regard to the Velos, I find it very interesting that there seems to be no upgrades to it and not a lot of information on it. The whole thing tends to be very low key.

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

cynthreab,

I am by no means knowledgeable about the Whirlpool Velos ovens. However, I do have a great deal of knowledge on power systems, and the problems you've seen on the Velos definitely suggest a problem with the power supplied to the oven.

It may be the wiring within the oven itself, the power cord (perhaps a poorly molded plug) or wiring within your house (including the 120V receptacle).

The power plug can be somewhat tested just by wiggling it a lot. When the plug is inserted into the receptacle does the power go off in the oven for a moment as the plug is moved around? This test might also reveal a problem with the receptacle wiring.

You might also check the receptacle for a proper ground. Visit a home center store and pick up a plug-in circuit tester for about $10 (some of these tester will also allow you to check a GFI receptacle). The Velos may be operating on an improperly installed circuit. Wiggle the tester to check for tight wiring within the receptacle.

If the power problem is within the Velos, you personally won't be able to fix it. Nor would a serviceman, as it would likely be a wiring harness problem or a defective power system within the oven. In such cases, you'd need to convince Whirlpool to rebuild the oven or replace it.

Best of luck!

• effiemyrtle
    14 years ago

I've had my Velos for almost 3 years and love it. We had a problem a couple months ago - one of the lights (halogen or quartz) was not working, and it took 3 service calls to fix it because the repairmen were not familiar with Velos. (of course, Sears took about 10 calls to fix the glass in my Kenmore range oven door) They ended up replacing the Velos' motherboard and now it is working fine. Fortunately, we had taken out a service contract. I would not have been happy with the bill otherwise!

• WTROWE6
    11 years ago

I have had my Whirlpool Velos for several years now and it is a great machine until you have to change a bulb. The bulbs used have 2 small prongs and since you can't see which way the prongs should go, it is virtually impossible to change the bulb without dismantling the entire underside. Any ideas? The You Tube videos show replacing bulbs with a larger bulb. And, the manual says just do it.