Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on Whirlpool Velos

Posted by jon_m (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 8, 06 at 9:23

Hello All,
I work for Whirlpool and just thought I would open up the line if anyone had any questions about the new Velos Microwave Convection Oven, model number GH7208XR?
Jon_M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on Whirlpool Velos

You can expect to be banned from the site from what I have seen no one that works for an appliance company is allowed on here,at least not as such, the moderators remove them, much to the detriment of us all sometimes.
good luck.

o

I don't see anything at all objectionable about that post. He's offerening insight on a new product. Not trying to sell it to you.

I think iVillage would have much more of an issue with the induction thread from yesterday, and that doesn't seem to have gone anywhere yet. Though I did put the link in favorites, just in case!

o

I also see nothing objectionable but they have consistently banned people who work for a appliance manufacturer who offer to answer questions about the product. Makes no sense to me since that is why we come to the board for info but that seems to be their policy.

o

Interesting....hadn't noticed off-hand but will take your word for it.

Ok, Jon, before you get banned, please give us as objective of a comparison to the other speedcookers out there as you can.

(How's that for a nice specific question?)

o

There's a fine line between advertising and being helpful sometimes.

I've gotten on a high horse for people in the business not disclosing it. But I'm fine if they remind folks (which means often, since new people come here all the time). Hearing a sales spiel at a store and hearing the same thing here is not what we are all about. But if someone wanted to know, for example, how this product compares to another brand, that's another story.

o

I don't see anything wrong with people from the manufacturers offering advice and help as long as they're upfront about it. A while ago there was an engineer from Bluestar who was quite helpful.

o

weissman,
Thats right Brian from Bluestar and he was banned by the forum moderators for being helpful, because he worked for Bluestar, he did not advertise or push them, just answered questions.
I suppose now that GE has bought ivillage it will be even more enforced.

o

Thank you all for your concern on my being here at web garden. I have read the polices. And understand the risks involved in being transparent. I am here for support of the appliance technology not just whirlpool products. Of course my intentions are noble here but weather or not GE or iVillage sees it that way, I have no control over. As to answer Fenworths question. The speed cooking technology has come a very long way. In the industry in the past the combo units the venting system was compromised by having the microwave. There are a couple units out now where the CFM on the vent is no longer compromised. Steam assist and the power of baking in one unit has changed the industry immensely.
The microwaves in the units are now more consistent actually they pulsate together to form a constant cooking experience which would blow Dr. Ed Petersons theory on ants surviving in a microwave out of the water and make him rethink his Hypothesis. I have not tried this mind you in the new units but you might find the below link on the subject very interesting. Thanks for the response.
Jon_M

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Peterson's Ants in a Microwave Theory!

o
If Jon M is banned

I just wanted to also point out that I am on DIY and HGTV just incase I do get banned from this site for being so transparent. Just so the moderators know in written form I am here not to advertise. I work in customer service and am here to help with what I can for the industry as a whole. For the most part all the appliances are very similar and all work virtually same. With this said I will be selective in how I respond to questions. Hope you all like the link above kind of an interesting tid bit. Thanks Jon

o

Personally I think as long as people like Jon are constantly reminding people up front with who they are and what their role is it should be another welcome source of information.

That said Jon, I have had a frustrating experience trying to buy your Velos product. Sears does not have the product in their system so as of yesterday they still could not order it for us. Only one other retailer actually had the product on display but did not have the unit hooked up so we could not see how the unit worked and without the power turned on you can't see how the elaborate menu system works which is pretty central to the product. That dealer did say that Whirlpool came in a few months ago and cooked a bunch of food for them to see how it worked - I would drive many miles for that opportunity! Please convince your marketing dept to offer cooking demonstrations at home shows, kitchen shows, home improvement/warehouse clubs, etc. so people can actually see how it works and taste the results.

Now on to the specific questions. Can you tell us which foods this thing excels at and which you should probably avoid. For example, someone with a GE Advantium told me that no matter how they do it cookies just don't come out well in theirs but that fish worked really well.

Also, with its relatively large capacity one of the roles we see us using this for is as a warming drawer when we have guest coming over who bring buffet items. GE has a mode on their advantium called warming. You have something called warm hold but it appears it uses the microwave functionality which is not what we are looking for. When I called the Whirlpool line the person said I could do the warming functionality by just setting the temp on the Velos bake mode to around 160-200. She assured me that it could be set down to 100. Is this correct and is warming drawer functionality a reasonable use for this appliance or something it really was not designed for. Finally, I have looked all over to see what improvements this model offers over the short lived G2 model ... i.e. what got fixed . Can you provide any info on that topic?

Thanks

o

OK, so is this product available in Canada? I cannot find it on the Whirlpool Canada website. Just how new is this product?

o

Jrog and Krustytopp, for some reason I am not being notified of the posting replys on web garden sorry it has taken a while to get back to you. I will reply to your questions just give me till tomorrow morning to reply, thanks. Jon

o
Whirlpool Velos

Jrog and Krustytopp,
Thanks for the inquiry! I know that there was or is a truck that is touring the USA giving demos to dealers on the Velos. I will try to find the schedule for you. I have also submitted your request for demos to the executive marketing team. I have used the Velos but do not have one as of yet. As for the performance I would say it is like nothing on the market today that I have seen. The Velos is a G2 technology with many additions such as 5 spd fan vs 4 spd fan which boosts the cfm to 300 which will suck up a piece of paper. That was a cool demo. If vented with duct work you could possibly add another 50+ cfm to that. The turntable in the GH7208XR Velos is 16 inches vs the 13 inches in the G2 and the Velos cooks 47 percent faster than regular oven as to the 30 percent faster than a oven for the G2. The G2 cubic ft is 1.7 and the Velos is a 2.0 cubic ft. Both units are equipped with the same computer interface with some changes on the Velos such as bake, roast and it also remembers most used cooking cycles. All in All the Velos Combines the G2 technology with an over whelming power for cooking. With that said the fan is located on the left-hand side. I would say if one is using a convection bake cycle and has a large pan in the unit the left side near the fan will bake faster and may brown or seer faster thus rotating the large cooking sheet is recommended. If using a pan that can easily rotate you will be assured an even heat. I have not come across anything this unit does not do well. The fact that both have steam assist, grilling and baking capability is pretty cool. I hope this helps. As for using the unit as a warmer I dont see any problem with that it should fit your needs well.
The technology has been so well received by the public that there is a limited supply of the units. I do know that orders can be made for the units though. As for Canada we do not have them in that market at this time. If you are interested in the unit from the states be sure the warranty in the back of the use and care guide states that the manufacturer in Canada covers the unit. I do show it is approved in Canada so that is a good singe. I hope this helps understand the newest in innovation. Great questions.
Jon_m

o

Jon_M,
Can you describe the steam assist capability?
The website only mentions a "sure mist steamer" which I thought was a Tupperware product? Also, what is the difference between Velos model GH7208XR and GH6208XR?

o

>>Also, what is the difference between Velos model >>GH7208XR and GH6208XR?

GH7208XR= Velos SpeedCook Oven with Convection Cooking

GH6208XR = Velos SpeedCook Oven (no convection)

Regards,

Rich

o

: Rich, as you wrote that is the only difference between those two models. They are both the same in every other aspect including the hood cfm and color availability.

GH7208XR= Velos SpeedCook Oven with Convection Cooking

GH6208XR = Velos SpeedCook Oven (no convection)

Thanks for the question,
Jon_m

o

Jon_m,
Care to describe the steam assist capability?

o

Sure mist technology is a three part steamer container have herd really good things about this and do not have one but have seen it in action. I would say I am an avid cook did try to steam mushrooms and artichoke hearts. I liked the fact that I could do multiple things at one time. I have had consumers state that they get very reliable results time after time which is very important to allot of us. The following is out of the use and care guide hope this helps. Our first product pod cast is now out for the Velos check it out on the tab with in this posting. You will have a greater understanding of this new technology.

Lid: Always use when cooking. Place directly over the insert and
base or just the base.
Insert: Use when steam cooking to keep foods such as fish and
vegetables out of water. Place insert with food directly over base.
Do not use when simmering.
Base: For steam cooking, place water in base. For simmering
foods such as rice, potatoes, pasta and vegetables, place food
and water/liquid in base.

Both G2 and Velos have this technology.
Thanks for the question. Jon_m

Here is a link that might be useful: Velos Pod Cast

o

I really love the features and capacity of the Velos and wanted to buy it to install over my range but unfortunately it was one inch too deep for the space and would interfere with my cabinet door. :(
Oh well. Maybe my next remodel. :)

Regards,

Rich

o

Would you compare this product as a combo of the Miele combi-steam oven and the advantium in one??

I am debating between advantium and/or a steam-type oven.

Can you discuss advantium versus Velos here please?

Thank you again for taking time to help us :-)

o

The "sure mist" container is also available with the regular OTR microwave. It seems to be just a microwave steamer which could be used in any microwave.

o

I agree with nancm, when we saw the steamer container that comes with Velos we thought it reminded us of those old microwave steamer gadgets people used to sell when microwaves first came out. The sales guys said that when Whirlpool came in they steamed vegetables in it and came out great but I am not overly optimistic since this really is a microwave steamer basket ... someday when steamer ovens are more reasonably priced I will most likely revisit getting one - if they really take off I could see them being as common as microwaves and as cheap!

That said, I can tell you why we chose the Velos over the GE Advantium microhood (a better comparison than to the Miele steam oven):

1) Larger capacity - while we typically don't microwave big items, we do plan to use the convection oven for bigger items since this will be our second oven - in my previous post I mentioned also wanting to use it for a warming drawer when guests/family come over with buffet items ... 2.0 cu ft for the Velos versus 1.4 for the largest Advantium microhood.

2) Consumer Reports (Feb 2006 page 37) said they really like the hood venting capabilities of the Velos. Since for us this needs to be both a microwave and a hood we wanted the best ventilation system we could find. The Velos also had a dual filtration system (grease, odor - charcoal) and when I called to find out how much the replacement filters were going to cost they were quite reasonable (something like less than $20 for the pair).

3) It has a numeric keypad. So what? Every microwave has that right? Well when grandmother comes over some night to watch the kids and wants to use the microwave to heat her coffee, the kids dinner, etc. with the Velos she can type in 30 seconds and use it like any other regular microwave. With the Advantium she has to dial through all the menus just to use microwave since it has no numeric keypad ... I guess you even have to dial up or down the time to tell it how much microwaving you want unless you use a pre-programmed setting. I don't want to get a call from her or any other babysitter saying they can't figure out how to use the fancy microwave. We have enough problems explaining to them how to use the satellite dish/tv/vcr .

4) Velos has less stainless steel on the face and more glass. We just don't want to spend all our time wiping the kids fingerprints off this thing. Plus with less "real" stainless it will better match the "easy clean" stainless on the Kenmore All Fridge/Freezer we selected. We also like the non stick interior coating the Velos has.

Now with all that said I have not been able to actually see this thing in action (my original complaint to Jon) and I have not been able to taste how the food comes out using all the various cook technologies in this thing. Consumer Reports (Feb 2006 page 39) said the cooking eveness and defrost was just "good" and ease of use "very good" but did not mention anything about the other cook methods, etc. I don't believe they even tested any of the GE Advantium units in that issue except the Kenmore re-badged one which did pretty well. Since its so new I also don't know anyone who has one to ask. So I am going into it somewhat blind but I am hoping it will be a decent microwave, vent, and second smaller oven. If it does that I will be happy. Unfortunately our kitchen isn't slated to be gutted until mid June so I can't report back till then.

While I mentioned some of my concerns with buying a Velos without a lot of real world feedback, the way I see it I'm out less than $800 for a microwave, hood, and small second oven/warming drawer. If it doesn't work we can sawp it out relatively easily out but if it does work as advertised than I have shaved a ton of money off my appliance budget (velos costs less than a typical warming drawer or second oven) and given my new kitchen a lot of functionality in one device.

o

Hey guys,
Been very busy here. I would agree to most of the above said. I also would agree with you guys that steam cooking would appear to be the same as any of the other accessories that we have had in the past when microwaves first came out. In going over to the tech center I found that the g2 and Velos have special programs in them that allow for better steaming than a traditional microwave. The tecnology found in these two units like nothing we have ever had in the market prior to last year. I encourage you to listen to the pod cast above. It would be great to hear of your feed back on that as well. I would have to say I was very impressed with the way it steamed. I am going to take one of these steamer trays home this weekend and try it out in my conventional counter top unit. We will let you know.
Jon_M

o

Jon, first let me say thank you for the follow up answers you provided to my original questions above - I tried to send you a thank you email directly (to spare the rest of this forum from having to read it) but your profile did not allow it.

I tried last week to listen to the podcast after your post but the file had become corrupt and would only play the first few seconds. When I tried today they must have fixed the link b/c it now plays correctly. One hint for people who want to listen to it - right mouse click on the podcast link and download the 14MB MP3 file to your desktop before playing it - if you do you will be able to use the "program" slider in media player to fast forward or go backwards within the podcast to listen to certain segments, re-hear a section you missed what they were saying, etc. If you just click the link and listen directly from the site, it streams it and you have no way of skipping around - you can pause it but not go back and hear something you missed without restarting from the beginning.

Overall, the podcast was pretty good. Aside from all the marketing stuff, some things I hadn't really seen anywhere else:

1) The convection oven functionality is True Convection (where there is an actual heat element within the fan unit, not just a fan blowing around the heat in the oven)

2) That they bowed the front and went with the high tech control panel to gain about 50% extra capacity - when she said it would fit a 9"x13" lasagna pan and allow it to rotate inside the oven I was impressed - I don't know of too many microwaves that you can fit something like that never mind rotate it.

3) That the maximum temp of the convection oven functionality is 450 degrees. That may be a factor for some people who cook things at really high temps. For a second oven it should not be an issue for most people.

4) That the voice mail box of the Velos PR person must be filled up because she actually gave out her direct number at the end of the podcast for people to call her - that's brave!

o

Jrog,
Thanks for the reply. I checked my account and unless I have been blocked from receiving emails everything should be fine. At any rate I am very happy to be here to help with any questions anyone has. Your Feed back is appreciated. I am sure the PR person is very swamped with calls. I will be gone for the weekend but back next week. I appreciate your feedback and comments. I am looking forward to hearing from consumers that get a chance to use the Velos and give us first hand opinions. (Maybe wallycat will let us know).
Jon_M

o

We were looking at the Velos, as well as the Monogram Advantium, as a microwave-replacement in our new home, but, unfortunately, it seems the Velos is only available as a microhood. Is that correct? (I wrote Whirlpool last week, but got no response.)

We're building a high-end kitchen with professional venthood and would want to use something like the Velos, or the Velos itself, as a standalone item (built-in, but not over a range). Is that possible and/or reccomended?

o

Susan and Mark, Unfortunaley we do not offer the speed cook technology in a counter top yet but there is the benifit of the oven and speed cook technology in a built in the model is GSC308PR. It is a whirlpool and has the G2 technology. Hope this helps best of luck on you remodel.

o

I'm getting a Kenmore Elite slide in range. This range has a conventional oven and a convection oven. It also has a warming draw. I was going to put a wall oven under the counter for a second oven (We do most of the entertaining in the family). I really don't want to take up so much cabinet space. I wonder if the Velos would be the solution. I would like to put above the range microwave,but I need a second oven. Would the velos be good to cook a lasagne using the convection mode. Maybe this could be my second oven .I also need it for venting purposes. Thanks

o

Jeanne50, We looked at that same slide in Kenmore range (it looked like it was made for them by Frigidaire.) We ended up going with the Frigidaire PLES399E - we thought the easy clean stainless finish on the Frigidaire looked more rugged (the floor model at our Sears of the Kenmore Elite looked like it was tarnished/rusted...) and we liked the bridge element /layout on the Frigidaire ... bought it at Sears though for about same price as the Kenmore Elite. Not saying it was a good move one way or another but definitely take a look at it before you decide 100%. As long as you haven't taken delivery Sears is good about swapping one model for another ...

As for the Velos ... we decided because of its size that it would be an OK alternative to a second wall oven b/c of its large capacity compared to other OTR's. We also thought it could function as a second warming drawer in addition to the one on the bottom of the range since like you we have a big family who always wants to use/trash our house for family gatherings. The venting on the Velos is supposed to be one of the best out there for a Microhood so that was also a factor ... plus like you, we wanted to maximize cabinet/seating space on our island versus using that space for appliances. My other comment about the Velos (see posts above) having less stainless on its front face will mean it will match up better with the clean stainless finish on either the Kenmore or Frigidaire slide in ranges. Unfortunately since it will be summer before our kitchen is done I can't give you any advice as to whether our choices were any good (grin)

o

Thanks jrog, I appreciate the quick reply. I'm also going to take a look at the frigidaire slide in.

o

Jon,
I'm torn between getting the Velos and the Kenmore brand of the G2 Microven. We're getting the Kenmore elite (made by Frigidaire) slide in with the all-digital controls & convection oven, warming drawer. From what I've read, the Velos will protrude more from my wall than the G2 but the fan capability is much better. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

o

Jonm,

On my post from Mar 11th I mentioned that the person on the Whirlpool Cust Service line told me that the Velos convection bake temp could be set down to 100 degrees .... today I went to a local appliance store who finally had a Velos hooked up to power... I tried to set the temp below 225 and it appears that it will ONLY allow you to bring the temp to a static setting of 170 and anything you want between 225 and 450. Am I missing something - is there no way to type in any other temperature below 225 other than 170?

Also, your profile is still not enabled to allow people to send you mail directly (not that I blame you ..)

Thanks

o

Posted by: jeanne50 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 15:20
Would the Velos be good to cook a lasagna using the convection mode. Maybe this could be my second oven .I also need it for venting purposes......................

Jeanne50 the Velos is a unit that will give top CFM performance in the market place and the baking option is like I have never seen before. Just keep in mind as discussed before there is a fan on the left you will want to either have a pan that can rotate on the dish or turn the pan periodically when cooking. The left side may cook a little faster with things like cookies casseroles etc. that will not be turning. The turntable is quite large 16 inches and the door is concave as to allow for the 2.0 Cubic foot capacity. Thinking outside the box making round lasagna in a deep-dish pizza pan could be a delightful addition to the dinner table. All joking aside I would encourage you to go to a local dealer to look at this unit. Good Luck, Jon_M

Jrog,
Congrats on your purchases sounds like this is going to be a great kitchen are you going dark wood or light on the cabinets? On the Velos temps! I looked back at the previous posting and did investigate on your question at the time. I apologize I did not address your question at that time. (Thanks for bringing it up again.) The Velos minimum temperature is 170 and then jumps to 225 and then goes up in increments of 5 to 450 for the convection bake option. We did have a prototype here at the call center that did go down to 100 degrees but that is not the unit that is on the market today. That unit has now been replaced by market equivalent. I hope this helps. Thanks Jon_M

I dont know why I cant get it enabled to accept emails. :)

o

Jon, please see my question above ... thanks! Velos or g2 Microven.

o

Gumtree,
Sorry I left you out. I can now receive emails. :) I would recommend the Velos due to the main fact of the CFM on the unit itself. Also the fact that the capacity is larger and has the true convection unlike the G2 the below link is a comparison page. Although if your looking at the Kenmore G2 there may be some styling differences as well as a few feature differences. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks Jon_M

Here is a link that might be useful: G2 versus the Velos

o

I just saw the new Velos at a very large local appliance store. They had had the appliance for approx. a week and had used it several times. THe gentleman told me that they had done a demo this weekend it performed nicely baking and cooking. It was, however, currently out of commission. The genltleman told me that they had three different parts on order to repair things that already had malfunctioned on it. One of them was the front control panel. He stated that it was going to be MIA for approx 2 weeks until repaired. I asked him why they just did not replace it with another Velos and he stated that it was the second one with the control panel requiring service, so they were just going to wait and fix them both instead of getting another one and needing to repair this one too.
It is a little discouraging to hear this as I was counting on a Velos for my OTR. Now I am a little leary of investing so much money in appliance that will require reapir so often.
Jon, have you hear about any control panel problems?
Thanks, Gayle

o

Gumtree wrote me an email and asked. What is the (unvented) cfm of the Velos vs g2? I thought I would share with everyone the information and differences in technology since this is a Velos thread.

GH6177XP G2 (speed cook technology) 13 inch plate
Recalculation CFM Out @ each speed at 130
Exhaust CFM Out @each Speed at 175
Depth 15 7/16 in. Width 29 7/8 in. Height 17 3/16 in.Cubic foot is 1.7

GH6208XR Velos without convection, G2 (speed cook technology) 16 inch plate
Recalculation CFM Out @ each speed at 200
Exhaust CFM Out @each Speed at 300
Depth 18 Width 29 Height 18 1/8 Cubic foot is 2.0

GH7208XR Velos with convection cooking, G2 (speed cook technology) 16 inch plate
Recalculation CFM Out @ each speed at 200
Exhaust CFM Out @each Speed at 300
Depth 18 Width 29 Height 18 1/8 Cubic foot is 2.0

The differences between these models are apparent above but the main things that I could see is that for the extra buck and a quarter between the three the Velos 7208 really is superior. Because this unit has true convection you can actually use it as an oven and even warm things down to 170 degrees as discussed before. Another neat feature is that it also has a most used button memory, which is a very useful tool. The only other product on the market with the CFM that compares is the Advantium by GE when comparing this model to the Whirlpool brand I have found that the cubic feet is smaller and size is smaller while the features in my opinion dont measure up to the Velos. The price tag on those units is also a little higher. I would encourage anyone to compare the units and see what will best fit their needs. I hope this helps. Thanks for inquiry Gumtree
Jon_M

ellischestnutgirl
To answer your question I do not show any problems with the control boards. I would have to say my database is quite competent here at the corporate center and while WP in known to have fewer failures in the industry. I am the first to say we do have failures. I would agree it is odd that the dealer would have two units having problems. Gayle for what it is worth, I hope my insight on the situation helps you make a sound decision for an OTR in your home.
Thanks Jon_M

Note: For those newcommers I had posted a link earlier for the Speedcook podcast. There is alot of good info there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comaprison and pics of the Speed cook.

o

Gayle, thanks for passing on the info. I too have one on order so this gives me some concern as well although nice to hear that it cooked well when it was working.

Hopefully by the time I take delivery they will have worked out some of the newness issues .... if not I'm glad I bought the warranty at Sears that says if the unit fails four times they have to replace it (grin).

Anyone else out there who actually has a Velos and can comment one way or another about how it's going so far ?

o

I'm getting mine delivered next Wednesday! Chose the one w/convection in stainless/black; it's going over the Frigidaire PLES399EC slide-in w/convection. Dishwasher is the Kitchenaid Superba KUDS02FRSS & Samsung side/side (fridge was purchased @ Lowe's-delivered 2 weeks ago-love it!) I have to say, I was set to purchase all from Sears but after 'losing' my delivery date, accidentally cancelling my dishwasher & unable to get another, and misrepresenting a warranty, I cancelled and went with an independent appliance store. Plus, they were unable to order the Velos.
Kraftmaid cabs (maple chestnut) are going in Mon & Tue. Granite template will be Thursday (Key West).

If anyone is in the Tampa/St Pete area, I highly recommend Apsco Appliances-Largo & Ramos granite-Tampa (Melissa).

o

Jrog and Gayle,
Congrats on your choices I hope the Velos is all you are expecting and more. If you have any questions or problems(wink)(I dont feel you will) just send me a note. Happy to help. Gayle your kitchen sounds like a dream. I particularly like the Maple aspect. I have always wanted birds eye maple cabinets.$$$$$ dont know if that will ever happen.
Jon_M

o

Jon,
I am a little disheartened by the probs with the Velos, but may just pull the trigger anyway. I would like to know what the sones rating is on the vent though. I have not been able to find that out. It is important to those of us who will have an open kitchen to have a reasonibly quiet vent.
Thanks,
Gayle

o

Elli,
The sones on the velos GH7208XR are 67dba at the highest setting. I am glad to help. Thanks, Jon_M

o

I'm trying to figure out what is the need for an oven and a VELOS?

o

A few more questions:

1) What is the power (wattage) of the microwave, halogen or quartz units (above/below), and convection heat source? Do all of these run at once, or does the system split time between them as in the Advantium 120?

2) What is the process for cooking a frozen chicken (a la jcthorne's post regarding the comparison beween the Ultima and the Advantium)?

3) How many pre-programmed recipes are available? What kinds of functions? (Chicken, by weight? Frozen Corn Dogs? Pizza?) How are the recipes accessed?

Thanks,
-- Amanda

o

I just saw the Velos at an appliance store. One point to be aware of: it's about 2.5" deeper, and maybe 1" taller, than most other microwaves. To me it looked startlingly large, but of course that's a matter of preference.

o

I cant see this in any of the local stores. Does anyone haev a picture of it with their cabinetry- I am really interested in seeing what it looks like with Cherry cabinetry. We are goign with Cherry Bordeaux shaker style cabinets. I have seen the pictures from the website and trying to decide between the KA KHMS155LSS and justify the extra $250

o

Gsenthil,
If you would email me I would be more than happy to send you the info I have on the velos and it has some pictures that may help as well.
Jon_M

o

I have a couple of questions about the Velos:
1) Why are all the Velos ovens over the counter vents as well?
2)Are there plans to bring out a standard wall mount or counter mount oven?
3)Could the Velos be mounted in a cabinet and the OTR vent feature not utilized?
4) where would the following three ovens rank in terms of speed for tasks such as reheating cooked leftovers: Velos, Advantium, and regular 1000 watt Mwave
Many thanks

o

Dridr,
The Velos is currently in a micro oven combo and a stand alone OTR. The OTR can not be installed into a cabinet. I believe there are plans for a countertop unit but not in the near future. Velos was rated the best in performance for both CFM and cooking ability. I have sent out product sheet to a couple consumers and would be more than happy to shoot that to you as well. I hope this helps answer some questions. Kitchen Aid is also carrying a form of the Velos.
Jon_M

o

dridr- I want to do the same thing too- mount the Velos (6208) as a builtin in a pantry. I want to move it from ovet the range to the pantry so I can have a dedicated chimney. With a non convection 6208 oven I dont see any reason why I cant block all 5 sides of the Velos. I am planning to do this around Oct when my house gets ready. If you are doing it before let me know and we can exchange notes.

The similar KA model costs about $1500 and may use a 240V supply if you need 27/30" wide model

o

thanks to jon_m and gsenthil for your responses.

I would only need a single standalone unit as I already own a double oven, and a micro-oven combo would be overkill. Since I don't need a vent, the CFM wouldn't matter to me.

I am primarily interested in which technology (Velos or Advantium) will reheat leftovers or coffee faster, since that is what I would use the unit for. (Jon_m: Let me know what I have to do to get a copy of that product data sheet.)

I also went onto the KA site. Which is the oven with the Velos technology, and are there any differences in power and speed bwtn Velos and KA models.

Thanks again

o

bump

o

Dridr,
Thanks for the bump if you send me an email I will send you the data sheet if you have still not received it. I dont really have the data on the KA units but as far as I know they have the same stats just upgraded features for the home enthusiast. Thanks, Jon_M

o

Like dridr, I am trying to figure out which of the KA models has the VELOS technology. Does anyone know?
Thanks!

o

I did some digging for you guys and the KA model that will have the Velos technology is KHMS2050S
This unit will not be available until 3rd quarter of 2006. I hope this helps. There again this will be an OTR not a counter top.

o

Thanks all, for the responses.

My most fundamental (and, for me, crucial) question is the following: can anyone tell me the difference in speed for reheating items between the Velos and 240vt Advantium?

Many thanks

o

Jon - thanks for digging for the info ;^ ) !

o

Is there a cookbook or recipes for the Velos. WOuld love to get one.
Ron

o

Hello all,
Many have emailed me for information on a cook book for the Velos. We do have a convection cookbook the part number is LIT8204711 It can be ordered through our parts department at 1-888-442-9991 or at the Customer Experience Center at 1-800-253-1301. Happy cooking all.
Jon_M

o
What's the third bulb for?

I just recently purchased a Velos (GH7208XRB0). When it arrived, everything worked except for the halogen bulb, so I requested warranty repair service. The service was a profoundly awful story in its own right, but skipping those details... I noticed when they removed the grilling unit to replace the damaged bulbs, that there was a third bulb on the back-side of the unit which did not have a direct path to radiate upon the food. I believe this quartz bulb was 600W rather than 500W like the quartz bulb that faces the food. This bulb is not documented in the manual. Furthermore, the only way I see for it to do anything is by making the metal plate of the grilling unit very hot so it reradiates into the food compartment. Essentially, I see an extra 600W being burned mainly to help trigger the heat sensor and shut the unit down. :) What is the design reasoning behind having this third hidden bulb, and why is it not documented?

o

Magnetron,
Thanks for your inquiry. I am sorry that you have had problems from the get go. I am glad you posted here. There is one Halogen part number 8184837 and one Quartz, Heater part number 8184839 and also the third that you cant see being the Quartz tube, Softstart part number 8184838. This soft start Quartz tube assists with starting the Quartz Heater. It is not brought up in the liturature becouse it does not actually heat. The quickstart is reflected on the parts list. I hope this helps give you a better understanding of your new microwave.
Jon_M

o

Jon,

Hoping that you can help me .. I've had the Velos 2 mos & sometimes the touch pad freezes - for example, cooking chicken nuggets - I get to the point where it asks serving size but when I touch the pad nothing happens - I try it several times and have to actually get out of the menu and go back in once or twice before I can get the pad to finish the 'menu'. Also happened to me the other night when I went to convection roast a turkey breast .. got all of the way to the turkey breast option but could not get any further - had to cancel and re-do (twice) before it would take. Service is supposed to be out on Monday.

Also - what am I missing? Can the Velos not cook a chicken in 20 minutes like the Advantium or KA?

Thanks! Laura

o
What's the third bulb for?

Jon_M,

Thanks. It is helpful to know that the bulb doesn't actually provide heat. Given that it is 600W, does it run for only a short amount of time, or does it continue to run along with the other elements?

More importantly, could you explain exactly how it "helps start" the other quartz bulb? Flourescent tubes need a capacitor and ballast to start, but I don't see how a incandescent bulb needs a starter at all.

o

My previous microwave ovens have been Sharp Micro-Convection. They made the best turkeys! Can I use microwave and convection to cook a turkey in the GH7208XR?

Also, how about reheating frozen french fries? What settings?

A brochure with sample recipes would be very helpful.

Thanks.

o

Shoil,
Thank you for your inquiry. I do not have a quick reference to recipe guides. I do however have a cookbook that can be purchased the lit number is 8204711. I have used the sizzle pan to make fries and it worked incredibly well. The convection mixed with halogen technology is simply amazing. The following link will take you to the use and care guide for the Velos. On page 26 there are a lot of quick references for food types and the suggested settings to use. I hope that this helps. Thanks for the inquiry.
Jon_M

Here is a link that might be useful: Velos Use and Care Guide

o

Jon -- please see my question above, regarding touch pad not responding. Thanks.

o

I plan to order the cookbook but I still have the question about using the Velos for cooking a whole turkey. Have you ever tried that?

o

Gumtree,
My recommendation for the keypad being sporadic like that is to have service. How did your service go on that Monday?

Shoil,
I have not personally cooked a whole Turkey in the Velos. I have herd of it being done though with good results. The cookbook does not have a Whole turkey recipe but has allot of other meat recipes that I have tried like the Beer Marinated Sirloin Steak. I would like to share with you that the cookbook that I suggested for the convection cooking is actually for the G2 Microwave and you will have to make adjustments, as the keys are different on the Velos. I would really recommend you take a look at the use and care guide for the Velos It has everything you need for determining how to cook with the product. It does not address a full turkey but rather Whole Chicken and suggests to use the Convection Roast setting. I would probably keep in line with the pound per time ratio they say for the chicken. Most convection recipes will work in the Velos you may just need to adjust the cooking time since the Velos is more efficient than Range, Convection ovens. I am unaware of anyone that has actually put out a special cookbook for the Velos to date. Hope this helps.
Jon_M

Here is a link that might be useful: Velos Liturature

o

Thank you.

I'll try the turkey one day and let you know how it turns out!

o

Shoil,
Your very welcome. Yes please do let me know how it comes out and would love to have the recipe and if you brine the bird first or not. The last two years I have been brining in 7up and sea salts and aminos and herbs with great results.
Look forward to hearing about your meal.
Jon_M

o

Installation

Wall oven cabinet will have wall oven. and at the back it does have space for ventilation piping to outside. and i'd like to put the velos into it. put a space between the two ovens and a metal plate across the front like many built in microwaves require.

SO basically velos would be able to draw any air but only from a 2inch space between ovens. and vent it out to the outside of the home.

Do you guys figure this will work???

o

Jon - repair guy, who had never seen a Velos prior to my service call, ordered a 'part'. We'll see if that helps .. keypad freezing has been a more frequent occurance. Have you heard of any problems such as mine?

o

Now that I have the Velos for more than a week I am beginning to understand it better! It would be helpful if there was a printout showing all the touchpad menu and submenu combinations. Instead of searching for the cooking/food combinations, it would be helpful to see them in print. Any chance of that being done?

o

Gumtree,
I have rarely taken a call from a consumer on the Velos. The only calls that I can remember are on the use of the Velos. Let us know how it turns out.

Shoil, Is page 10-14 of the use and care guide what your looking for or something different. I can always forward suggestions up the line just want to understand your request. Looking forward to hearing your ideas.
Thanks,
Jon_M

o

Shylok,
I cannot recommend from the manufacture anything other than what has been proven and tested. The following is a link from WP for the installation requirements and variances. I know we have a wish list from consumers for the counter top Velos but dont know if that will come about or not. Alot of consumers build in the countertop units. I hope this helps.
Jon_M

Here is a link that might be useful: Velos Instalation Instructions

o

The information on Pages 10-11 is an example of what I'm looking for. I think a chart (not with the actual touchpad pictures) showing what pressing each button leads to would be a big help. For example, I didn't know I could find a "frozen french fry" setting. I accidentally found it. I'm sure there are lots of settings I would like to use but I don't know that they are there. Even a list of foods and then the buttons that have to be pressed to cook that food would do it.

Am I clearer this time????

o

By the way. . . Your blog is a wonderful service to Velos owners. Keep up the good work!

o

I am debating between an Advantium and a Velos, and this site has me leaning to the Velos. But nowhere am I finding a speed comparison table between the Velos, Advantium, and conventional cooking.

The higher powered Advantium boasts 8x faster - how does the Velos speedcook compare?

Does Velos combine convection and speedcook? Or just convection and microwave (I already have a countertop micro/convection oven and highly recommend them - great for hot weather baking.)

I've read thru the Velos instruction manual - still no idea of how long it takes to cook things such as a chicken breast, brownies, etc. Any one with experience to give me some guidance?

jon m has been a big help.

o

I realized how to "phrase" what is missing from the instruction manual. What is needed is a flow chart showing all the options for each button that can be pressed. This would answer my questions and the questions posed by effiemyrtle.

o

effiemyrtle,
You should have recieved my email with the information you requested. If not let me know.

Shoil,
I have been trying to find a flow chart for you. It has to be an aproved document. I will try to have that for you but it may take a week or so.

It is nice to hear that my presence here is apprieciated. Thanks for the compliments. I am posting a great recipie for the G2 technology, hope you like it.
Thanks,
Jon_M

Home Made Biscuits Recipe in G2 Microwave Use the "Muffin" program under Baked Goods but preheat the pan first for 3:00 at 100%.
Cut them into 2.5 inch diameter and place 8 on the preheated pan.Selected 8 muffins.
The attached picture shows the results of biscuits made using this method.
Recipe:
. 2 cups Hudson Cream Self-Rising Flour
. 1/3 cup shortening
. 3/4 cup milk
. Blend shortening into flour; add milk and form dough into a ball.
. Place dough on to lightly floured board and knead 4 or 5 times.
. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut.

o

Jon, thanks for working on getting the flow chart. Again, you are doing a great service to Velos owners.

o

I finally got my Velos installed today! I got the white model since my other appliances are white - it looks great in my kitchen. The inside is huge. I haven't had much time to play with it, but did note that 100 degrees is available to proof bread. Everything seems to be in fine working order. The fan is pretty quiet. I had read a complaint about the convection fan being loud, but mine isn't at all. I'm looking forward to doing some experimenting! I'd love to see any other recipes that people have had good luck with. Thanks for the biscuit recipe Jon M!

o

Effiemyrtle, Congratulations on your purchase. We all look forward to your experimentation. I found another recipe to share with you all. Let me know how they taste. Shoil I still have a request in for the flow chart thanks for your patience.

Whirlpool Velos Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Baking cookies is a cinch with the g2microven's Sizzle Pan a non-stick, Teflon-coated baking surface that quickly and evenly reaches temperatures as high as several hundred degrees, ridding active balancers of the need to preheat the oven before baking.

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. white sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/4 cup quick rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

PREPARATION:

If using your Whirlpool g2microven Speedcook Appliance, there is no need to preheat the oven - just have your g2 Sizzle Pan ready. In KitchenAid Stand Mixer bowl, cream butter and shortening with sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Stir in Bisquick, oats, nuts and chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonful onto Sizzle Pan. Using the g2microven's touch screen menu, select "Bake" function and then "Cookies." Indicate the number of cookies you wish to bake, followed by level of doneness. No need to set heat settings or timers the g2microven Speedcook Appliance will take care of the rest! Cookies will usually be done within 8-10 minutes. Remove Sizzle Pan using detachable safety handle. Cool on a rack for 3 minutes; remove to rack or plate to cool completely. Recipe yield: about 36 cookies.

o

Hey guys, I just thought I would share with you an event Whirlpool has pulled together. The submitter of the recipe garnering the most overall points (the Grand Prize winner) will personally receive a Whirlpool Gold suite of kitchen appliances. Plus, that parishioner's church will win an exciting, mid-week live performance by CeCe Winans. The Grand Prize winner will be based upon total overall points regardless of the entry category.
Free to participate so never hurts to submit. I am thinking of submitting a Brisket recipe.
Definatly a must to share with other forums.
Thanks Jon_M

Spirit of Cooking Contest Whirlpool
Entries must be received by 09/25/2006.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Contest Details Click Here

o

So far almost everything I've prepared in my Velos has been great. Last night we had sweet potatoes and grilled pork chops. The pork chops were juicy and flavorful and done just right. Sweet potatoes were great. The Pillsbury doughboy has made my husband happy with fresh cookies cooked crispy, just the way he likes them. My only disappointment has been popcorn - it leaves probably 50 old maids in the sack of a normal size popcorn bag. I checked the date and the popcorn is well within the freshness date. I'm also confused on the timer and wonder if I have a problem. For example, last night I set the timer for 10 minutes while I was grilling the chops (programmed 19 minutes) to remind me to put BBQ sauce on them. The timer shut off the oven at the 10 minute mark. I then restarted the grill feature (19 minutes) and set the timer for 5 minutes and this time the buzzer rang at 5 minutes, but the grill continued to cook. I did the timer again for 4 minutes because now I am at 19 minutes (10+5+4), and the grill continued to cook. This has happened before. I am doing something wrong?

o
RE: Questions on Whirlpool Velos--turkeys

Hi Jon,

I finally made a bone-in turkey breast using a combination of microwave and convection. I touched the "Convection Time/Temp" button and set the Temperature for 375 degrees and the Power to 30% (I also could have chosen Cook Method, More Choices, Convection Roast, More Choices, Manual Roast and then entered the temperature and power). It took about 10 minutes per pound to cook it. I use an instant read meat thermometer to check for doneness. It came out great! I first marinate the breast overnight with chopped onions and white wine in a sealed plastic bag. After marinating I dry off the turkey breast and sprinkle it with paprika and put it in a roasting pan with a rack below it (the rack is in the pan). I put the onions in the bottom of the pan. It probably would have cooked faster if I kept taking the turkey breast out and draining the oil that accummulated at the bottom of the pan with a turkey baster.

Another trick is to put a strip of aluminum foil down the center of the breastbone for 1/2 the time so the meat on top doesn't dry out.

This was the method I used on a whole turkey in my previous (different brand) micro/convection oven and it was always delicious. The time ranged from 7-10 minutes per pound.

Shirl

o

effiemyrtle,
As far as I know when using the timer on the Velos it runs separate from the unit itself and should not turn the unit off. I would be cognitive of whether your using the timer or the cooking time. If problem persists call our call center for trouble shooting at 800-253-1301. Effiemyrtle it is common for some of the old maids to not pop. You may want to try a couple different brands of popcorn. The moisture level in the kernels will make a big difference. Your chops sound wonderful. I am glad that your having so much fun with the whole experience.

Shirl,
Wow my mouth was watering like a river. How many pounds was the bird? Was the wine dry? You didnt say how things turned out. Was the family happy with your Culinary skills or did this go down as a so experience? Thanks for the tip on the tin foil. A friend of mine that works as a culinary cook in Chicago gave me a great tip a number of years ago. I tried this tip and the outcome was unbelievable. Brine your bird in sprite for 24 hours in a fridge. I am sure other pops will work but the carbonation made the meat just nice and moist. I used to do allot of smoking of meets. Brining and then in a smoker putting a beer can with a few holes in the top in the bird. This is also another wonderful experience. Well I went off on a tangent. Probably another thread all together. Again thanks for the foil idea I will try that.
Jon_M

o

Hi,

The turkey breast came out great. I use any dry white wine; the wine tenderizes the bird as well as flavors it. The bone-in breast was only 5 pounds. That was my "experiment" before I try a whole turkey. The Sprite idea sounds good. I'll have to try that, too.

How is the flow chart coming along?

o

Shoil,
Thanks for the tips.
I have been doing allot with rubs and briskets. I am currently trying to find an herb exotic or not that is sweet. I dont want to use honey because it caramelizes but rather an herb. If you have any suggestions let me know.

I checked on the flow chart and at this time the information is no available due to the competitive nature of the programming. Thanks for your understanding.
Jon_M

I love the sweet with the spicyness of a Habenaro pepper.

Has anyone tried the Steam cooking of vegetables, shrimp or rice with the steam cooking setting, combined with the SureMist steamer. I have done in the past Broccoli with garlic and olive oil. I especially like to steam whole cloves of garlic after cutting the tips top of the head off. Love garlic. Anyway have a wonderfull day.

o

Thanks for trying to get the flow chart. I still say more instructions are needed on what can be found by touching the different options.

o

Shirl & Jon,

Shirl - your turkey breast sounds delicious!

Jon - How come when I go thru the pre-programmed menu for roasting a turkey breast, it gives a time of 1 hr 23 min for a 3.3 # breast, when Shirl's 'manual' program took only 10 minutes per pound.

Shirl, how did you know to cook it at 375 w/30% power?

I think my slight disappointment with the Velos is not understanding the menu.

Thanks, Laura

o

Hi Laura,

My previous Micro/Convection oven (Sharp) had an automatic cook option that combined microwave and convection. The instructions for turkey said 7-10 minutes per pound. I found with a fresh turkey it cooked faster. Anyway, I translated the automatic "high roast/375 degree" setting and tried it with the Velos and it worked! If you try it, let me know your results.

Shirl

o
RE: Questions on Whirlpool Velos, continued

Hi Jon,

I agree with Laura. The instruction manual is lacking.

Shirl

o

Laura,
I would agree with Shoil on the instructions she provided. The Velos has a very versatile interface. While the quick keys work well for those that are on the go. The manual settings you should think of as you would a regular oven and follow recipes accordingly. For those that really enjoy the aspects of culinary ingenuity, the manual settings would be recommended. I hope this helps. Unfortunately I have no control what information is put into the use and care guide. Hope you guys have a great weekend.
Jon_M

Here are some guidelines I found at the following link.
http://www.cadco-ltd.com/convectioncook.html

CONVECTION OVEN RECIPE CONVERSION GUIDELINES
Cooking is not an exact science, due to many variables such as size and
quantity of food, temperature of food when first put in the oven, etc.
Convection cooking takes place due to the forced flow of hot air, thus saving energy
by cooking approximately 25-30% more quickly than conventional ovens.
Foods lose less moisture and retain nutrients.
The internal temperature in the convection oven is easily regulated since the
fan keeps the hot air constantly circulating so the food cooks uniformly.

The following are general guidelines for converting conventional recipes
for use in a convection oven. *

Option one: Bake at the same temperature that the
conventional recipe recommends, but for less time.
Option two: Bake for the amount of time that the conventional recipe calls for,
but reduce the temperature of the oven by about 25 degrees F.
Option three: (Best) Bake for a little less time than the conventional recipe
calls for, and also reduce the temperature of the oven.

TIPS:

1. ALWAYS PREHEAT OVEN BEFORE PUTTING FOOD IN OVEN!!!
(unless your recipe directs otherwise)

2. If your original conventional recipe baking time is less than 15 minutes,
keep the original baking time but reduce the temperature by 25-30 degrees F.

3. As with any recipe, check the food about 5-10 minutes before the expected
finish time, due to variables such as the temperature of the food when first placed
in the oven, quantity of food in the oven, your preferred level of "doneness", etc.

4. The more food in the oven at one time, the longer the cooking time.

5. Some folks recommend preheating any oven at 50 degrees F above the desired temperature, then turning the temperature control down to the desired temperature
once you put the food in and close the door. This is because an oven can lose one degree per second that the door is open. The average loss is about 50 seconds.

6. The choice of when to use a convection oven and when to use a conventional
oven with radiant heat often depends on the cooking container rather than the food.
The whole point of convection cooking is to have
the fan circulating the heat around the food.
Casserole lids and high-sided cooking pans block the heat from circulating
around the food and prevent the oven from cooking efficiently.

A few rules of thumb for best results:

Cookie sheets use convection oven
Shallow pans (inch sides or so) use convection oven
Anything covered (including roasting bags) use conventional oven
Deep roasting pans use conventional oven
* For the mathematically inclined:
Use either of 2 versions of the "25-30" Rule.
Either option is OK, and neither is better than the other
(exception: recipes with conventional baking times of less than 15 minutes,
see first Tip above.) For example, if a recipe calls for you to bake a cake
at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes in a conventional oven:,

Option one: Bake at the same temperature that the conventional recipe recommends, but for about 25-30% less time. So the cake will bake at 350 degrees for about 21-23 minutes. (100% - 30% = 70%; 30 minutes x .70 = 21 minutes;
100% - 25% = 75%; 30 minutes x .75 = 22.5 minutes.)
Option two: Bake for the amount of time that the conventional recipe calls for, but reduce the temperature of the oven by 25-30 degrees F.
So in the cake example, bake at 320-325 degrees (350 30 = 320 degrees;
350 25 = 325 degrees) for 30 minutes.

o

I also think that Whirlpool needs better directions and better yet - a cookbook. I've ordered the one for the G2 that jon m mentioned in one of the earlier posts, and am anxious for it to appear. I convection-microwaved turkey tenderloins last night and used the directions for minutes/pound out of my old Sharp cookbook. Before I bought my Velos, I had talked to someone at Whirlpool who told me that they deliberately did not send out a cookbook since people would get better results with the pre-programmed features. Well, guess what - there is no pre-programmed feature for turkey tenderloins! BTW, they were great, but every time I removed the dish to check the meat with a meat thermometer, the oven would shut off after about 10 seconds and I would have to re-program it. I found that if I leave the door open, that didn't happen, but I hated to have the heat escape.

o
OTR venting function

We are considering buying a Whirlpool Gold Velos GH7208XR. It needs to vent a cooktop comprised of a Gaggenau gas 2-burner module (no problem) and an electric barbecue grill (problematical). The vent will run up to the ceiling and then from there to the outside. Our appliance guy says we need a vent hood with at least 650cfm, but we are limited in space and cannot install both a vent hood and an oven. Consumer Report says the Whirlpool Gold Velos does the best of an OTR for venting, but not as good as a real vent hood (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/ranges/range-hoods-8-06/overview/0608_range-hoods_ov.htm). I understand that so the question is how well do you think the Whirlpool Gold Velos will handle the smoke from the BBQ grill? I called Whirlpool and was told 'unofficially' the vent used to be rated at 300cfm (until Whirlpool removed that information from its material). We tried a Dacor POR30 which was advertised at 300cfm (http://ww1.dacor.com/products/product_page.asp?ID=pcor30) and it did not do the job (it hardly sucked a paper towel up to the filter so I doubt it really was 300cfm); Dacor took it back when I challenged them that it did not vent as advertised. Thank you for your assistance.

o

Chasatkins,
Thanks for the inquiry.
The CFM is rated at 300 and is very efficient. I recently had the opportunity to see extreme steam in a pot being sucked up in to the vent. I would have to say I have not seen any other products that do this as effectively. As for your BBQ I dont know. There are a lot of variables there. Yes the regular vents will have more venting power. Maybe some of the other owners of the Velos here can give you some feedback on its true power or maybe one of your local dealers may have a demo model you can experience. I wish you the best on your decision.
Thanks
Jon_M

Here is a link that might be useful: WP Dealer locator

o

Just a Bump.

o

Jon I dont see the Monochromatic SS model on the website. Is it still available? Is there aconversion kit from the SS model to the monochromatic one?

o

How come the equivalent Kitchenaid model is cheaper?

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid KHMS2050SSS

o

gsenthil: From the link you gave, it appears that the KA only has the microwave and halogen/quartz light technologies. The Whirlpool Velos has these two technologies plus it functions as a true convection oven. The convection feature is a great addition, particularly when you can combine it with microwaving, as you can in the Velos.

o

How does the KitchenAid KHMS2050S compare with the Velos 6208 and 7208?

o

It looks like the KA is similar to the Velos 6208 in function, but the KA has a removable shelf which the Velos does not have (a waste in my opinion). The Velos appears to have a different type of touch pad. Both Velos' have a smooth glass touch pad (you can read about the technology if you google far enough). It doesn't look like the KA has the same type of touchpad - it looks like the old pressure sensitive kind, but the details on the KA website don't say much. The difference between the Velos 6208 and the Velos 7208 appears to be the convection which gives you an extra oven that you can use with up to (I think) 30 or 40 percent microwaves to help hurry things along.

I didn't even look at the KA's (long standing prejudice) but had trouble finding a Velos on display. I had the 7208 installed about a month ago and am really enjoying it.

o

jon m, When grilling, does placing the sizzle pan under the grill grid serve a purpose other than catching juices, etc.?

o

Hello All,
I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday weekend. I checked with the order desk and the GH7208XRY monochromatic SS can be ordered by your local dealer and has a 2 wk ship time. As for the comparisons on the WP Velos and the KA model. Effiemyrtle has it down. The KA model is more of a normal microwave and cooks at 50 percent a hundred percent of the time using Optimawave technology.. This feature disperses the microwaves into the unit in many directions. Very powerful unit and microwaves wonderfully, just not as versatile as the WP Velos.

As for grilling and the sizzle pan.

Yes it actually helps the grill process. The quarts and halogen heaters heat the sizzle pan and this steps up the browning. It is a form of conduction. While it doubles as a catch all it really is necessary for cooking effectively.

KA Prebuy Team 1-800-422-1230
WP Prebuy Team 1-800-253-1301

Neither prebuy team can sell you a product directly but can definitely shine a light on questions you may have on the products.

I have also added a new video link for the Velos. Enjoy.
After pics load then click on demo. Must see for those who have never seen the Velos.

Thanks,
Jon_M

Here is a link that might be useful: New Velos Video

o

Jon_M, I posted this in another thread before I found this thread. I'm trying to figure out if the speed cook (non-Velos model) will be sufficient for me. Here's my post from the other thread:

I'm trying to stick to a tight budget on my appliances and had planned to order the Whirlpool G2max Speed Cook mw(GH6177XP) -- it seems like I can do just as much with this model as I'd be able to do with the next model up, the Velos (GH6208XR). Am I way off base here?

Anyone have any good comments and reviews of the less expensive model or should I bite the bullet and go with the next one up. I *really* can't afford to go with the velos convection (GH7208XR) which is a step above the velos model listed above.

Do you find you're using these advanced microwaves INSTEAD of your oven a lot? If so, perhaps I should go with a less expensive range and set the difference to towards a pricier microwave. It's all so confusing, that's for sure!

o

Can the Velos be mounted undercounter w/in warranty? We were going to get an advantium and found out if can't go undercounter, so right now we are getting the KA. Velos looks a little more versatile if it can go undercounter.

o

glass beads: best thing to do might be to examine how you use your conventional oven. If you bake a lot of really large items or a number of different foods at once, you might want to keep your budget for your range. I have had a micro/convection oven for over 10 years and use it for everything except baking batches of cookies, or anything else that I need two racks for. I have made my turkeys in either the microwave or micro/conv for 30 years.

I am not someone who plans my meals ahead, so I have always used my microwave a lot. The Velos (and probably the KA) thaws things beautifully - the first microwave I've had that didn't partially cook edges of the food while it is thawing.

I haven't used the halogen light enough to really pass judgment on it, but so far it has reheated pizza and breaded meat, keeping it pretty crisp, baked a few cookies or rolls very well, and grilled some great pork chops.

I figure it is much quicker and cheaper to use the micro/conv feature instead of my regular oven. I use it for things such as banana bread, meatloaf, brownies, etc. It is one of the features that sold me on the 7208. It also provides you with a second oven which does come in handy for company. I can't remember ever just convectioning without adding a touch of microwave to it.

I initially started out looking for a new range with a convection oven, but my DH talked me into looking at an advantium. That was before we heard about the Velos. So far, I'm happy with my decision. The Velos just seemed to have so many advantages over the advantium.

I didn't understand jon m's statement, "The KA model is more of a normal microwave and cooks at 50 percent a hundred percent of the time using Optimawave technology." Did you leave something out, jon m?

Take advantage of the prebuy toll free numbers. The Whirlpool people answered several of my questions. One lady even put me on hold while she walked down to the engineering department to get an answer.

Good luck on your decision.

o

Hello All,
I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all for you questions and I have really enjoyed getting to know allot of you. I am taking another assignment within WP. I am sure there will be someone else along very shortly to help answer your questions. Best wishes to you all.
Jon_M

o

Thank you Effiemyrtle. It was such a difficult choice and I hope I don't regret it, I decided to skip the Velos and go with the (6177) G2 speed cook which is a step below the Velos line. I think (hope) it will be sufficient for our needs. I ordered yesterday and the unit will be in next Thursday. I'm so eager to try it out. Many nights I find myself turning on the oven just for a small piece of salmon so I'm hoping that this mw will work well for small meals like that. This thread is great -- I hope I made the right decision in going with the lesser model.

o

Glass beads, Sometimes it is a relief to just have the decision made! I know I agonized for a couple weeks between an Advantium and the Velos. Haven't tried salmon yet, but the speed cook did a great job on a couple pork chops w/some bbq sauce basted on towards the end. I've also cooked a couple boneless chicken breasts. Meat turns out really moist. The only thing I've tried speedcooking that was a disappointment was some frozen shoestring potatoes. Just wish there were more recipes available. I ordered the cookbook for the G2 mentioned above, and was disappointed in the number of recipes available for speedcooking - it was mostly microwave recipes. I'm going to try some of the advantium (110) recipes on GE's website and see how they work in my oven. I've been on vacation the past week, so back to the kitchen this week.

I hate to see jon m leave - hope his replacement is as informative.

o
Best of luck to you Jon

Hi Jon,

Best of luck in your new position at Whirlpool and thank you for all your help and informtion.

o

If you are looking at purchasing the Velos, one important thing to at least be aware of, the interior of the Velos is coated with a PTFE based non stick coating (they can't use the term Teflon since that is a Dupont trademark but PTFE is also the primary ingredient in Teflon). If you look at the early posts in this thread we had ordered a Velos for our new kitchen but as soon as we started reading info on the suspected dangers associated with overheating non stick surfaces we decided to cancel our order for the Velos. We really agonized over this decision since we really liked the features of the Velos. I can't say one way or another whether non stick coatings are indeed dangerous but we have two small kids and for us it just wasn't worth taking any chances/risk just because we liked the features of the Velos better than some other units out there. It's one of those things you probably have to decide for yourself. But I will say this ... everything I have read says that once non stick surfaces are heated above about 450 degrees they start to "off" toxic gases. Now I know the maximum baking temp of the Velos is 450 but I am not sure how hot the surface of those halogen bulbs get. I also know that when you microwave things like popcorn (whose bags are lined with non stick coatings - google teflon) the steam in the bag gets hotter than that as well. I also called/emailed Whirlpool/Dupont/jon_m and asked if any safety testing had been done to see what exactly happens to non stick surfaces when they are exposed to microwave radiation (which tends to also affect the molecular structure of the item being cooked). I never received ANY concrete information - positive or negative. It was as if nobody had done the testing of non stick coatings in a microwave since most people associate non stick with metal fry pans.

What also concerns me is that other companies are now starting to incorporate chemical (99% of the time PTFE) based non stick coatings (as opposed to enamel baked coatings like ovens used to have) in their conventional/convection ovens, steam ovens, toaster ovens, and microwaves. I suggested to Jon that perhaps Whirlpool should offer a version of the Velos that does not have a chemical based non stick interior. I guess until enough people start voting with their pocketbooks the appliance companies will continue to use non stick coatings.

Like I said, you all need to decide for yourself whether non stick coatings pose a health threat but you should at least be aware of what the coating in your appliances is made of. It's really too bad since I also saw that one of the most popular steam ovens discussed on this forum also seems to have a non stick coating applied as does one of the highest rated toaster ovens on Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dangers of Non Stick surfaces Info

o

Teflon or other non stick coating is an issue that influences my purchasing decisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Is Teflon Chemical Toxic? EPA Seeks Answers

o

Jrog, Thank you for the informative information. If you dont mind me inquiring...which one did you eventually go with to purchase then??? thank you.

o

mommajean,

When we found out about the PTFE based non stick coating we literally had a day to decide on an alternative OTR. Because the Velos was considerably taller than most everything else on the market (most of which are pretty standard), it was going to affect our custom cabinet design/order. So we ended up choosing the Kenmore Elite OTR #80823. I probably would have gone with an Advantium if they offered one without that crazy knob control (I wanted a numeric keypad as mentioned in an earlier post). While I thought I really did want the speed cook functionality, most people we talked to had just OK things to say about it (either it wasn't significantly faster or they didn't like the cooking results). The nice thing about the Kenmore is that you can just use the convection oven functionality without any microwaves (I believe some of the advantiums do not let you do that) and you can do combo cook which combines the two but you are not forced to use both. I am quite pleased with the Convection cooking performance - it does offer that 100 degree warming setting that Jon_m said they dropped from the Velos. Another benefit is that the Easy Clean stainless finish and handles exactly matches our Kenmore All Frig/Freezer pair (ie twins) and Frigidaire Pro slide in range with warming drawer since I believe all three are made by Frigidaire. On the downside I do not think the venting (we have it hooked up to an outside vent) is as good as the Velos although about on par with other 300CFM OTR's. You also do not have the capacity that the Velos had but if someone comes out with a combo speed cook/REAL STEAM OVEN/microwave/convection OTR oven that does not have Teflon all over it (boy would that be nice ) I can at least swap out to it b/c now my cabinet height/opening is a fairly standard size unlike the one that the Velos required.

o
Whirlpool Velos -- it just stopped working!

Purchased a monochromatic GH7208XRY1 (it sure looks nice) and no sooner had we installed it when it stopped working! All that was running at the time was the fan (on Med). The electrical outlet it is plugged into works fine (as is the circuit breaker), but the Velos does nothing (as if it is not getting power). I called the warranty number in the Use & Care Guide (1-800-253-1301) and they told me they only provide warranty service for Maytag not Whirpool! Is there anyone out there who has experienced this (either the Velos stopping completely or being told no warranty service)?

o
RE: Whirlpool Velos - stopped working/displaying error message!

We just bought a Whirlpool Velo GH7208XRY1 and used it to steam frozen vegetables and cook four pieces of fish. After the food was done, the oven went through a 10 minute cool down, which is normal. However, after a few minutes we heard a beeping sound and an error message appeared in the control panel (Error F2.Q1 Touch FMEA) We cannot clear the error and the microwave does not work. We tried to call assistance but they were closed for the night - we'll try in the morning. Has anyone out there experience this type of problem and what is the cause?

o

chasatkins, Make sure it isn't in learning mode. I was gone a couple nights ago and DH tried to microwave something and it wasn't working. Found out it was in learning mode. Took it out of learning mode and it was working fine.

o

Nope, not in Learning Mode nor anything else. Dead. Nothing on the display. Nothing works (no fan, no lights, no display). Did get ahold of Whirpool Warranty repair so we shall see.

o

Dealer switched out OTR with a new one. Very dissapointed. New one works except that there is something wrong with the fan; while it does a very good job evacuating the smoke from the grill, the fan is very noisy on low and medium, but not when on high! I think the quality control on this unit is pretty bad. Will try it for a few weeks to see if this one keeps working; I cannot say I would recommend it so far.

o
Built in (not OTR) anytime soon?

I've searched and searched and unless I'm totally missing it, Whirlpool is only making the Velos in an OTR style, correct? I need a wall oven type. Does anyone know if Whirlpool is planning on making the Velos in a wall oven version?

o

Hi - I also have a Whirlpool Velos microwave and just noticed the same error message in the control panel (Error F2.Q1 Touch FMEA). What's the resolution? Of course, this would happen on a Saturday and Whirlpool customer service doesn't open until Monday morning.

Thanks much!

o

Just wanteed to know if the Velos owners are happy. you have all had them for a while now.......

o

I've had mine for a year and LOVE it. I cook almost everything in it and am always delighted with the results. I have two complaints: the popcorn sensor does not do well with a full size bag of popcorn, and mine seems to lose the programming if you open the door to stir or rearrange, etc., for more than just a few seconds. Does anyone else have this problem?

o

Effie, I went with the model just below the velos (the speedcook). I find I tend to use mostly preprogrammed settings so I haven;t noticed losing programming when I have the door open...but as far as popcorn is concerned, I love the popcorn sensor in my unit. I'm finding it very reliable.

I'm honestly not using the mw to its fullest, yet find I use it a heck of a lot more than I've ever used a mw before. I'm fine with the fact that I went with the model below the Velos since this one still has features that are useful to us.

o

I've had my Velos for over a year now. I love it and wish I loved all of my appliances as much.

One problem we have with it: when preparing a meal, its always in use for something when we want to use it for something else. We laugh and think about getting a counter top microwave so that we can have another available since the Velos is always doing something.

A second problem: the buzzer for the timer is too quiet, and only beeps a couple of times. So, if I hear it (which is unlikely if I'm in the other room), I'm free to ignore it and it quickly stops beeping and I quickly forget that it ever happened. I always use a secondary buzzer if timing is important.

We don't use it to its fullest. I don't tend to speedcook things because for the items I would be speedcooking, I already know how to cook them just fine in the traditional method.

I don't bake cookies in it because I love my cookies already. Why mess with perfection, you know? Plus, its extra noise in the kitchen and with small children running about, more noise is something I don't really need. Also, after baking something, the fan stays on for awhile to cool the oven, so that means there's not only extra noise while doing meal prep, but also during meal consumption.

But, for the things we do use it for, we adore it. We grill steaks in it during the winter. We grilled brats in it today. We bake potatoes, cook rice, poach or fry eggs. I love that you stick the rice in and fix the rest of the meal, and you never have to give the rice a second thought until you're ready to serve it.

I love my Velos.

o

Just wanted to clarify on the 'teflon poisoning'. From the studying I've done on the subject, it's true that when teflon burns it releases toxic gases, but just to put it into perspective, when the FDA was approving teflon as a non-stick coating, they found that the toxicity of burning teflon was lower than that of burning your average cooking oils.

o

By the way, I just got my Velos installed and it works great. I like that it can reduce actual microwave power rather than pulsing between full and off like the vast majority of ovens do. So far I've done thin sliced boneless pork chops, cinnamon rolls, and pizza and they all turned out good.

My advice to anyone new to this oven is twofold. First, if you want to use the quick menu, just trust it. It will ask you how you want to cook something and tell you what to do. Second, don't get so caught up in the quick menu that you forget that you can manually enter settings and use it like a normal microwave or convection oven!

o

If you're looking for a built-in micorwave that compares to this, the only one is the KitchenAid KBHS109 - it's a true built in. It has all the same features but is only 1.5 cubic feet and it's $1400. So we're going to mount ours over a counter top. We'll trim out the bottom and sides to give it a built in look.

The bottom back of the microwave is 18" tall and the front is only 15", so you need a side panel to hide that. Also it's 15" deep not 12". But that's where the extra space comes from : ) Here's a view of what it will look like.

(or you could see it if I knew how to attach the pictures!!)

o

What is he difference between the velos and the kitchen aid KHHC2090S ? They have almost identical specs. Thanks.

o

bump - I'm curious to what's the difference with the Kitchenaid version as well.

o

Ok, this is a late follow up, but from what I found the difference are that the high-end KitchenAid is a true built in but is 1.5 cubic feet instead of 2.0. The Velos is OTR. The KitchenAid is more expensive. I'm not sure if these are the KA model numbers you're referring to.

o

Jon,
I've tried to post this several times, so if you have gotten multiple copies, my apologies. Thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge. I am having a Velos delivered at the end of the week. In preparation I printed out its manual from on-line. I am not clear on one thing regarding the convection cooking feature: When trying to put my own cook times and temps in for cooking do I put in the oven temp that the recipe actually calls for (this is assuming that the Velos automatically makes the adjustment) or do I decrease the temperation about 25 degrees as I've been reading elsewhere that I should do?

o

We just moved in to our new home. We bought the upgraded Whirlpool package and the GH7208xrs Microwave (Velos) was the microwave we picked out. We seem to be having a problem with the touch screen. We were sitting in our family room when we heard multiple beeping sounds coming from the microwave. When I went to investigate I observed the touch screen menu was advancing on its own. I tried to cancel the action but the screen is inoperable when it is working on its own. Has anyone had this problem? I have contacted the appliance company and requested service. I haven't heard back from them yet.

o

I am seriously considering buying the GH7208xrs but am somewhat concerned by the problems reported on this site. To those of you who experienced problems, please let me know if they were resolved. Also, is there anyone else who can give me a review on this oven before I buy it? Thanks.

o

We just got our Velos today. It is replacing our Kenmore Elite, which was plagued with problems. After 18 service calls in 4 years, Sears finally agreed to replace it, thanks to our pricey 10 year appliance warranty.
(We somehow got an expired sales price and a double rebate, plus a small dent, covered by the cabinets, got another $80 off. So we paid less than half price. We got a credit of $660 for a new one, and paid $140 for the Velos! Hope it is reliable. If it wasn't for the warranty, the Elite would have been in the trash long ago... which is right where it is at this moment)
Thank you, Jon, and all others, who post information on these new cooking options. This seems like uncharted territory, and it is nice to be able to share our experiences.

o
Bread rise...

This is pretty low tech (esp. for a $$$ machine), but if you are letting bread rise, the perfect place to do it is in the microwave. Bring 2 cups of water to boil, insert dough pan, and the MW will hold the ideal temp for a couple of hours.
I hope everyone has tried the no-knead bread recipe in Cooks Illustrated.

Also, I was thinking about the speed cook light, and realized this was likely similar to that (as advertised on TV!) pizza cooker that had a heat source above and a turntable below. It should cook as well in the MW - or better.

I see jon m hasn't posted since 9-06. What a shame! Has anyone taken his place?

o

Anyone who went with a Velos care to share feedback on how they like it now that they've had it awhile?

o

Why I would love to comment on our Whirlpool Velos! We bought ours in May of 2007 and when it works...it works great. When it doesn't it takes A LONG time to get fixed.

As a matter of a fact I just got off the phone with Sears a few minutes ago scheduling a new repair on it. This is now the third failure of the microwave! And technically it would have been the fourth because the vent fan actually broke (again) not long after the previous repair but we could live without that because it was not worth the hassle of dealing with the Sears repair service.

They have now on the two previous repair trips replaced nearly everything (I am not exaggerating!) inside the microwave on both occasions. This has on each case taken up to 6 visits.

Here is how the most recent "repair" process went.
First visit - "yep, its broke. But this Microwave is so big I can't get it down myself and check everything and they did not schedule another tech so we will have to come back"

Second visit (a week or two later) - "yep, it is still broke! We think the problem is this board, can we leave the microwave sitting on your counter?"

Days go by, the part arrives, I call to schedule

Third visit (a week or two later) a different tech arrives "Wow thats a big microwave! I have never worked on one of these before"..... long discussion with support people over the phone after installing the part...."well that did not do it. We are going to try this now"

Days go by, the part arrives, I call to schedule

Fourth visit (a week or two later) - I get an automated call the night before "your tech is scheduled to arrive between 8 & 8:30 AM". 11 o'clock rolls around and the tech finally calls "our computers were down" at this point I need to be brining my wife to the airport so we have to reschedule.

Fifth visit (a week later) - The tech never calls to say they are coming, shows up when I am gone for 15 minutes.

Sixth visit, on a Friday - Tech arrives 4 hours late, and alone. Fixes microwave and manages to get it up with my assistance. I am shown the repair bill, right around $600. Thank goodness I paid through the nose for the extended warranty for this piece of junk.

Friday night - the vent fan quits working.

Monday - The microwave quits half way through browning some meat.

Tuesday - I call to reschedule...they are due here on Thursday between 8-12....stay tuned!

For a $1,000 microwave you would expect *maybe* a bit better quality of the components????

o

Wow, it's really depressing to see how problems with the Velos are piling up. We bought one a little more than a year ago, and it failed with the same error message that I have seen mentioned elsewhere: "F2.Q1 Touch FMEA." I assume that this means that the touch pad is dead, a supposition supported by the fact that for a few months before it died completely, the touch pad started acting as if ghosts were touching it--we'd suddenly hear beeping and look up to see that the machine was going through a series of menu pages (though it never actually started the microwave).

This is extremely disheartening, as is the fact that we emailed Whirlpool about it 3 days ago and have heard nothing back. We are thinking of just buying a new one--it certainly would be easier than waiting through 6 (!) technician visits--though it seems insane to throw good money after bad. But we have a sort of custom space for this machine and don't have a lot of options for replacement OTR microwaves.

I'd be most grateful to hear from anyone who had this error message and how simple (or not) it was to get it fixed.

thanks,

Becky

o

We installed our Velos finally sometime in August 2007. We have loved it for its versatility and we use it as a microwave (usually) (including its steam capacity and sizzle cook - which can also use the "grill" function) a convection oven (putting in a whole chicken in it is a delight), and the "grill" function. There is probably not one day when it isn't used for one thing or another.

However, we, too, have had problems, albeit (knock on glass) nothing as bad as described above. Other than sometimes questionable design, the problem is that the technicians are simply not trained how to repair the Velos.

The first problem we had was that the convection oven wouldn't ever stop preheating - and if I forgot about it preheating, it would just stop! At least the technician tried hard and installed and uninstalled the beast twice to get the various parts in it. It never solved the problem, but the thing does heat, it just doesn't know that it's at the right temperature (something I could easily check if I could at least remember to get an oven thermometer).

The second problem we've had is that when we open the door, the Velos resets itself (clock included). When we had the guy come repair it, he claimed that it was because it wasn't plugged all the way (which it appeared not to be) and he plugged it in and it appeared to have fixed the problem. He also tested it and said it was heating fairly well (although probably not to 400 degrees). What was interesting is that he said straight out that he'd never worked on a Velos, that he wasn't trained to work on a Velos, and that whatever the problem was, he wouldn't really need to fix it anyway because there probably was some workaround. He then went on to tell me that the charge to come plug in the Velos cost more than our howmany ever year warranty we'd purchased!

Of course, it's still a problem - and the Velos is still plugged in. My consolation is that I look at some of the other posters who couldn't even use the thing - and I just don't bother setting the clock - and I oftentimes have to reset automatic functions because when I open the door (sometimes as instructed), it "reboots". To go along with that, we purchased the thing in a scratch and dent - even though it probably cost as much or more than our Whirlpool range.

I, too, am waiting for someone to develop a cookbook. Although the automatic settings are usually great, there are sometimes when I would like to convention bake something - and there's no automatic program for it.

One other note: it tends to overcook frozen veggies and asparagus. So check them every now and again (although it does tend to disrupt the sensor - although it's not a huge deal).

With regard to the Velos, I find it very interesting that there seems to be no upgrades to it and not a lot of information on it. The whole thing tends to be very low key.

o
Whirlpool Velos erratic power

cynthreab,

I am by no means knowledgeable about the Whirlpool Velos ovens. However, I do have a great deal of knowledge on power systems, and the problems you've seen on the Velos definitely suggest a problem with the power supplied to the oven.

It may be the wiring within the oven itself, the power cord (perhaps a poorly molded plug) or wiring within your house (including the 120V receptacle).

The power plug can be somewhat tested just by wiggling it a lot. When the plug is inserted into the receptacle does the power go off in the oven for a moment as the plug is moved around? This test might also reveal a problem with the receptacle wiring.

You might also check the receptacle for a proper ground. Visit a home center store and pick up a plug-in circuit tester for about $10 (some of these tester will also allow you to check a GFI receptacle). The Velos may be operating on an improperly installed circuit. Wiggle the tester to check for tight wiring within the receptacle.

If the power problem is within the Velos, you personally won't be able to fix it. Nor would a serviceman, as it would likely be a wiring harness problem or a defective power system within the oven. In such cases, you'd need to convince Whirlpool to rebuild the oven or replace it.

Best of luck!

o

I've had my Velos for almost 3 years and love it. We had a problem a couple months ago - one of the lights (halogen or quartz) was not working, and it took 3 service calls to fix it because the repairmen were not familiar with Velos. (of course, Sears took about 10 calls to fix the glass in my Kenmore range oven door) They ended up replacing the Velos' motherboard and now it is working fine. Fortunately, we had taken out a service contract. I would not have been happy with the bill otherwise!

o

I have had my Whirlpool Velos for several years now and it is a great machine until you have to change a bulb. The bulbs used have 2 small prongs and since you can't see which way the prongs should go, it is virtually impossible to change the bulb without dismantling the entire underside. Any ideas? The You Tube videos show replacing bulbs with a larger bulb. And, the manual says just do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here