Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgs7691

Best mid-range slide-in 30' gas (or dual fuel)?

jgs7691
13 years ago

We were set on the Bosch 30" gas freestanding range but DH feels strongly about going with a slide-in range for a more custom look. I agree with him, but the only slide-ins available from Bosch are all-electric or the (much pricier) dual fuel. I wasn't interested in paying the premium for dual fuel, as I am content with our gas oven (and actually use an electric convection Breville Smart Oven for much of the day-to-day baking/roasting.) However, I really like the look of Bosch, and have heard almost nothing but good things about Bosch's ranges.

We also considered GE Profile, but I really do not care for the stylized SS front and grate pattern. Further, we liked the style and features of the Kitchenaid, but, while I have good things from my appliance sales rep - who owns a KA range - I have been scared off by bad reviews elsewhere.

Any suggestions on the best 30" slide-in gas range (under $2000-ish), or should I just bite the bullet and get the Bosch Dual Fuel?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• weissman
    13 years ago

I think the GE cafe is actually a free-standing range - it's got finished sides and I think it's deeper than a slide-in but it has the controls on the front like a slide-in or a pro-style free-stanidng range without the backsplash.

I don't know how much the premium is for a the Bosch dual fuel slide-in but it may well put you in the same range as an all-gas pro-style range (Bluestar, DCS, Wolf, Capital, etc.)

• eandhl
    13 years ago

If you search AJ Madison - ranges - you can type in exactly what you are interested in and a list comes up. I just did it and there are a number of slide in all gas ranges.

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions -- I will definitely look into GE Cafe -- I think it's probably about the same $$ as the Bosch slide-in dual fuel.

• ellaf
    13 years ago

My two finalists were Electrolux and Kenmore Elite. We went with the Kenmore, and so far I love it!

• muffinqueen
    13 years ago

ellaf, did you get the double oven version, and if so how well does the second oven function? I am also waffling betwwen those two--and one or two others.

• muffinqueen
    12 years ago

I'm bumping this to see if ellaf will tell is more about her Kenmore Elite. I too am curious about whether you got the double oven version. I have been through the mill trying to find a double oven range, and the Elite's price and features have put it near the front of the pack. I am frustrated that the 30" Kenmore oven I'm looking at does not come in a dual fuel model, and I wish the controls were on a slant like the KA and Maytag double ovens. We are doing a complete remodel, so I am trying not to buy more oven than I really need. I thought I wanted dual fuel, but now I'm not sure. I really just want two dependable ovens with easy controls and oh, yeah, a tempature probe. I can get the Kemore with a black top, which I prefer over SS because of scratching issues. Any reviews from current Kenmore double oven range owner would be VERY helpful, because I need to make this decision SOON, So, ellaf, spill the beans. Tell me why I should buy a Kenmore Elite.

• IzGudea
    12 years ago

ellaf is more active in the kitchens forum. Perhaps you can catch the poster's attention there.

Here is a link that might be useful: recent ellaf postings

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

"Any suggestions on the best 30" slide-in gas range (under $2000-ish)"
    ==================================================

As far as I am concerned there is only one range that fits that description which is an NXR 30" gas range which you can find for as low as $1799.00 shipped.
    You can get their "island back" if you want it virtually flat in back like a slide in.

Please ignore the useless babble that will no doubt come soon from a certain individual that for some odd reason hates NXR's.

• muffinqueen
    12 years ago

nunyabiz, you should get paid for for all the advertising you do:-) I'm glad you love your NXR. But I've never even seen one in an ad, much less in person. I have to choose from what's available to me. I can't buy anything I can't see first. Is NXR only sold through mail order, or do they only sell it in the frozen North? I will probably end up choosing between the Kenmore Elite, the GE Cafe, and the Electrolux unless someone can convince me that a GE profile would be better.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

I come on here about 1to3 times a week and rarely post anything. When I do it is in response to what I know about which at this point is gas stoves because I spent a year researching them.
    I usually mention NXR's because very few people know about them, in fact less than a year ago I had never heard of one either but fortunately saw a few owners of NXR's on this website that got me interested in them.

There are no NXR showrooms near me either, there are several along the East Coast and several on the West coast.
    My wife & I were going to Florida to visit friends and I thought I would check to see if there was a place to see, touch, feel, slam and bang an NXR stove along the way.

We found a place in Tampa Florida, was about a 2 hour detour for us but decided to stop by and check it out, glad we did because we were sold as soon as we saw it.
    The place we bought it from said they have sold quite a few over the years and have never had one come back.
    He then opened the oven door and stood on it with his full weight, probably about 190-200# just show how well built the stove was.
    We bought one from them because they had as good a price as any we had found anywhere ($1799.00).
    I can basically guarantee the NXR is better than the 3 you listed but I fully understand not wanting to buy something sight unseen, we didn't.

• dlm99
    12 years ago

Jim T- I am looking to replace my appliances (gas slide in, DW & fridge) with stainless steel. I was originally thinking I wanted a Viking or Wolf oven but don't want to install a big oven hood as it will block view to other rooms. I have open floor plan. I saw the GE Cafe slide in gas range and it looks really nice. I especially love the idea of the center burner. How is the GE Cafe line working out for you?

• applianceauthority
    12 years ago

AJ Madison actually has a selection of 27 different gas slide in 30 inch ranges. I just checked. Ill post the link below. Here is my concern about the double oven range. The secibd oven being very low down is kind of hard to work with. No window, No watching the progress. Make sure you take note of that.

If you want 2 ovens i would take GE Profile slide in or GE Cafe all gas & then get the GE over the range microwave + convection. Both GE Cafe & GE Profile bow come with 2 racks which makes it a perfect operable convection oven. It will bake cakes just like a regular oven.

One more thing. i would look for a slide in that has a warming drawer on the bottom. The only way to keep food warm, crispy & fresh without heating up your kitchen in the summer is a warming drawer. I love the ranges that have warming drawers on the bottom.

If you listened to me you would take the GE Profile. If you want the 5th burner you take the GE Cafe (then you can use the lower for either warming or oven up to 450 degress).

If you need links for the Microwaves or GE Cafe ranges let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slide In Gas Ranges

• cflaherty
    12 years ago

@ Nunyabiz ..how r you liking the NXR? Any concerns so far?

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

@ Nunyabiz ..how r you liking the NXR? Any concerns so far?
    =====================================

Love it so far, had it little over 5 months and have no concerns at all.
    Still looks like brand new, cleans up very easily, burners are great.
    "For the price" I think it is very hard to beat.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

I'm with Nunyabiz1 in your price range the NXR is the best value, it's almost identical to an AG Wolf for 1/2 the price. I have a CC myself, but if my budget was around $2000 I would definately go with the NXR.

• flybiz
    10 years ago

I have researched so much I'm not sure I even want to buy a new range except we are doing a kitchen makeover and my work horse Caloric is 37 yrs old. We have been to Pacific Sales and he could have tried to sell me a $5,000 range, but he didn't, he recommended G.E. Cafe series duel fuel slide in range. I was sold till I started researching it and people are saying the fan in the oven is loud and runs continuously when baking. The plastic under the steel knobs melt. The touch screen is hard to read at night. The burners are to close to the edge of the stove for stock pots. If anyone has this stove and can help me I would appreciate it.

• dn92
    10 years ago

Would love to hear more about the GE Cafe dual fuel or electric range. I have never had a gas range. My friends that have one love it though. I am not yet convinced that I want to make the switch. My builder told me to check out the GE Cafe but I am also not sold flybiz and would like to hear from someone who has one. Any other mid-range dual fuels that you just love?

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

For the Cafe, a search will turn up numbers of posts on the dual-fuel and gas models (including those with twin ovens.)

Can't recall seeing any reviews of the Cafe radiant smoothtop, but if you are thinking about that model, why not have a look at the GE Profile Induction slide-in (PHS920) instead? It is about the same price, gives you the adjustability of gas, has the electric oven you are looking for, and --- If you have not already researched magnetic induction yet --- there are a ton of threads dicsussing it here. The info on the PHS920 is still a little scant but there are a couple of vary long threads on its predecessor, the PHS925. These, btw, are true slide-ins meaning that the sides of the cooktop overhang the countertops, covering the gap between counter and stove. That may or may not matter to you.