Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kafka99

Sub-Zero All Fridge + Freezer Drawers

kafka99
11 years ago

My wife wants lots of refrigerator space but we don't have room for large separate upright units so I've convinced her to look at the 36" Sub-Zero and freezer drawers. We have a small chest freezer in an enclosed porch off the kitchen so the capacity of the drawers is not an issue.

Based on my search on this site and others it looks like the only viable freezer drawers are the SZ 700BFI or something by Perlick. There's little information to be found about the SZ and even less on the Perlick.

Does anyone here have experience they're willing to share about these undercounter freezer drawers? Noise, reliability, performance of the ice maker, etc?

Comments (18)

• xedos
    11 years ago

With re: to the SZ

No more or less noisy than any other fridge or freezer. They are not silent.

Very reliable if installed correctly, you have to follow the venting instructions. Not a problem with 4" toekick.

Ice maker is a standard unit, made by whirlpool if I recall correctly and is just like their other units and pretty much everyone else's . It makes crescent shaped ice. Takes up about half of the bottom drawer.

• smiling
    11 years ago

You might be able to order the SZ freezer drawers without the ice maker. I know that if you order the combi unit that has one fridge and one freezer drawer you can get it without the icemaker if you wish. The SZ and the Perlicks are both expensive, but (as you said) your options are limited.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I have the SZ freezer drawer and the ice maker is optional. My planks to buy ice and only install ice maker if that plan does it work. We are not big ice users. My fridge is a 30all fridge by Miele. Install is later this week.

• kafka99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We'll need an in-drawer ice maker, would it be better to get the freezer without one and add an aftermarket unit? My wife really hates the crescent shaped ice cubes and we'd consider almost anything else.

We spoke to our local dealer yesterday who's been servicing SZ for 40 years and selling them for about 10 and based on his comments I think this is the route we'll take.

Thanks for the comments.

• xedos
    11 years ago

Kafak - you will not be able to add an aftermarket ice maker to the sz700.

You can add a factory unit to it after the fact , but it presents some problems and you're better off getting it equipped from the factory in the first place as it's cheaper and safer.

You can always turn off the ice maker, shut off the water and remove the bin if you don't want ice and want more storage.

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

Are you my husband? We are considering a SZ all fridge and having freezer drawers too. Also have a chest freezer in the garage.

Why are the SZ drawers your only option? I've heard good things about KA and Electrolux.

• xedos
    11 years ago

Mostly because they are larger.

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

I know the SZ are the widest (27in) but it's my understanding that the Elux has more cf overall.

• kafka99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SZ mainly because there is someone local to install and service it. We're 60 miles from the city.

I haven't seen the Electrolux. Will have to look into it.

• kafka99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Based on a quick look at the Electrolux website it appears that their drawers are refrigerator only. Does anyone have a link for freezer drawers?

• xedos
    11 years ago

Kafka , they don't make an all freezer version (2 drw) .

Your choices are SubZero 700 or a model or two from Perlick and the SZ is bigger.

Kitten - not sure where you got that info ? Elux marketing propaganda has capacity at 4.74 cu. ft and Sz's at 5.3 cu. ft.

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

I'm just spouting off something I read here but didn't bother to verify. ;) I'll see if I can find the link.

• xedos
    11 years ago

My favorite :

" i read it on the internet"

• michbone6
    10 years ago

What about Fisher & Paykel Cooldrawers? Does anyone know anything about those? You can set them to be refrigerators or freezers.

• xedos
    10 years ago

Cool Drawer is a an albatross.
    On paper all the flexibility looks great, but how often are you going to empty everything to change from cheese, butter and lettuce storage to ice cream and frozen pizzas ???

It doesn't have an ice maker if you choose to use it as a freezer.

The biggest drawback is it's width. At 33 11/16 " or 855 mm wide it is too wide to make for efficient access and that is also a non standard cabinet width. Makes planning difficult too.

So, you are looking at a MANDATORY custom built cabinet and more $$$. Some factory brands simply won't produce a panel that wide for an integrated look.

At approx $2500 ea. It's not cheap either.

• carolml
    10 years ago

We bought two sets of True drawers from their residential line. They look a lot like the Perlick drawers, stainless interiors and can be stainless or panel ready for integrated look. I love them. They are very quiet, soft closing doors, dividers inside can be moved around to create separate spaces. True have been making commercial fridges for years. Check them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: True Professional Series

• carolml
    10 years ago

We bought two sets of True drawers from their residential line. They look a lot like the Perlick drawers, stainless interiors and can be stainless or panel ready for integrated look. I love them. They are very quiet, soft closing doors, dividers inside can be moved around to create separate spaces. True have been making commercial fridges for years. Check them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: True Professional Series

• karenlk10
    10 years ago

I know it's way too late to be helpful here, but
    1. true only offers fridge not freezer drawers per the weblink.
    But
    2. summit makes a 5cu 3-drawer freezer that had good reviews on the AJ website and cost a lot less than the SZ.
    Downside is no auto defrost and doesnt accept panels (stainless)
    3. If you just need something undercounter, I just noticed a Uline undercounter freezer built for RVs. No custom panels just black or white. Has 5.7 cu of storage but is not drawers.