Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2golftoday

Wine Refrigerator

2golftoday
13 years ago

We are looking for an undercounter wine refrigerator to go in our Butler's Pantry. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Comments (15)

• summerbabies
    13 years ago

I bought the KitchenAid Architect KUWS24RSBS, based on visual inspection and online ratings. But it is still in the box in the living room, so I can't attest to whether it is really wonderful. It's attractive, though. I wanted the SSS, but since it will be built in, the black sides of the SBS don't really matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: KA Architect

• 2golftoday
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Summerbabies, thanks for the info. That one looks really nice.

• akrogirl
    13 years ago

We have been really pleased with our U-Line Wine Captain Drawer Model. It is quiet and has given us no problems in the three years we have had it.

• 2golftoday
    Original Author
    13 years ago

akrogirl, thanks I'll check these out too.

• 2golftoday
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jsceva- Thank you so much for all of the info. This will be our first wine refrigerator so we had no idea what to look for. This will mostly be for short term storage. We'll definitely look into the Wine Enthusiast line.

• jsceva
    13 years ago

No problem. You might also consider getting a very small residential built-in or even countertop unit for immediate use indoors, and placing a bigger more long-term unit in the garage, basement, etc. You might get more for your money that way (i.e., the bigger unit will be ugly and possibly noisy, but work really well, while the inside unit will not work as well but will be much more attractive and quieter).

Also, are you looking to store reds, whites, or a little of both? If all red, proper storage temperature and serving temperature are pretty close. Probably a little colder than most are used to in US (about 55 degrees), but actually better usually than the full room temp usually served here. Its also a good temp for keeping/aging beers that improve with cellaring, like some Belgians. If you are looking at storing all white or sparkling, you can store a few degrees lower, but you will probably want to chill even further for service... you can store it at service temperature, but that retards aging so it isn't ideal for the longer term. I keep all mine at red storage temperature, and when I pull out a white or sparkling I either (a) put it in the regular fridge for a while, if I have planned ahead, or (b) use an electric wine chiller (the kind that has cold packs and swirls chilled water around the bottle - pretty cheap at bed bath and beyond or similar.

In general, the exact temp isn't as important as avoiding rapid swings in temperature - it is the rapid changes back and forth that damage the wine most. Choosing a temp too cold will slow down aging, and too warm will speed it up, but swinging back and forth rapidly will quickly destroy your bottle. Humidity and vibration are also concerns, of course, but temp is the biggie.

What part of the country are you in? If you are in a wine-growing area, there is likely at least one brick and morter store specializing in wine storage. In northern california, for example, the Wine Hardware Store (which is associated with the Wine Appreciation Guild, and is also online) has four physical locations where you can go actually see/touch units...

• 2golftoday
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jsceva, we are in Northern Virginia. We will probably store a mix of red and white. We are just now starting to enjoy wine, so we're still learning. :)

• greencleaning
    13 years ago

Try the Vinotemp VT-50SBW wine cooler. I hope it can help you to decide.

• djg1
    13 years ago

The point about capacity above is just right. Or, at least, it's right for every one that I've seen. Our vinotemp is supposed to hold about 5 cases of wine ... good luck with that. Maybe 4 cases -- let's say, 40-something bottles.

OTOH, we've had the unit for a few years and it seems to be doing a good job. Temp seems to be stable, no noise issues (although, frankly, it's in a storage room and that's no a huge concern) -- no complaints at all.

• 2golftoday
    Original Author
    13 years ago

greencleaning, djg1, thanks we're going to take a look at the Vinotemps this weekend.

• Bryan
    12 years ago

Note that once you start enjoying your reds at celler temp, it is hard to go back! you'll be asking the waiter at the restaurant for an ice bucket for your syrah...

I have a big 400 bottle unit in the garage and a smaller unit in the house for mostly whites as jsceva recommends.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

i have been using one from GE Monogram for about 6 years, it is pretty quiet and problem free.

• aprince
    12 years ago

""www.secowinefridge.com gives a few tips on choosing.""

SECO, Where are this tips on your site? I just saw specs and product info. Tips would be like jsceva's post above.

• Chilled Wine
    7 years ago

We have multiple choices, but you should ask the good questions :

- What is the wine bottle capacity do you need in your wine cooler?

- What's width do you need : 15", 18", 24" or 30"

- What's finition do you want : stainless, panel ready, wood or other,

- What configuration do you need : free standing, built-in or undercounter

- Do you have a brand that's you prefer.

I bought the U-line Wine Captainâ last year on Goemans and I very happy with my choice. Like akrogirl said, it's very quiet and I never had problems with it too.

It's very quiet, a good capacity, a good finition and easy to install!