Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarinad

Bosch Response to my DWs greasy filter problem

sarinad
10 years ago

I emailed Bosch to tell them about a problem that my filter is full of grease after EACH use and I prerinse, I use Finish Quantum tabs and I wash my DW with Finish Quantum once a month at least.

This was there response.

this can happen if the dishes are rinsed before putting them in the dishwasher. Please use � of vegetable oil and pour it at the bottom of the tub, without any dishes or soap. Select a long cycle( regular wash or auto and this will absorb all the excess soap. Does this happen on all cycles, or one in particular? Should this continue after trying this out, we will send a Bosch technician to see why this is happening

WHAT???? Where is the logic in this???

Comments (8)

• rentaltux
    10 years ago

It sounds to me that they didn't read your email or misunderstood?? You have grease problems and not soap as suggested in their response. I do find it odd with the fact you have so much grease in the filter after each use. I also have a Bosch dishwasher and in the 1.5 years I have had it I have only pulled the filter out once to check it and it was clean other than a couple little pieces of food. It should also be noted that I very rarely rinse unless there are very large bits of leftover food. I also use Quantum Tabs.

It sounds like you need someone to look at it. I hope you figure it out. Appliances were made to serve us and not the other way around... Life is way to short to be having to deal with this sort of thing. Good luck!

• jakvis
    10 years ago

Hi Serinad,
    Have you tried a different detergent? Not all detergents work best in all water types. This is not the dishwasher manufacturers fault but it is easy to blame them.
    Have you tried contacting Finish? Their phone number is on your box of detergent. They may have some suggestions for you. It's a detergents responsibility to hold fats and oils in suspension in the water not the dishwasher. The d/w is designed to circulate and heat the water.
    As an appliance tech I find Quantum works great for most of my customers. (read most but not all). Sometimes I recommend switching detergents and this will take care of complaints such as yours.
    I've found that customers who complain about greasy residude have better luck using Cascade Complete with Dawn packs than with some of the other detergents.

However I've also found that customers using Cascade that had washing complaints were much happier with Quantum.

It all has to do with water conditions for your home.

At this point I would recommend you switch to Cascade if you have already contacted Finish and they couldn't solve your issue.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

It's the detergent, not the DW. Read this thread, which is on the front page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch DW ISSUE CURED BY DIFFERENT DETERGENT

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I just cleaned out my filter of the orange gunk today. Here is my thought..... while it looks like grease I don't think it is. It rinses off so easy with no soap. Grease would not do that. I never rinse my dishes, as I barely even scrape them. I think it is some residue from the finish tabs or the finish rinse aid that I use. I do plan on trying cascade.

Perhaps the finish red ball tabs are a little overkill for averages loads. There is a new finish out that doesn't have such harsh chemicals. Anyone try it?

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

There's one interesting thing the service manual lists for poor wash results in relation to prerinsing:

Poor Wash Results

Cause - Utensils precleaned too intensely; sensors therefore decide on weak programme sequence. Stubborn soiling cannot be completely removed.

Remedial action - Do not prerinse utensils; remove only large food remnants.

Alex

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I know that in my case the water is very hot.

• HU-98885188959
    2 years ago

Because the vegetable oil is a fat, which will displace the greasy fat buildup. i tried a little vegetable oil on my grease-covered filter to see how it worked and it was instant displacement. but i couldnt read the amount Bosch had advised to use in the first text on this string.