Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarcookiess

Painting the Dishwasher

SugarCookies
12 years ago

Does anyone here have experience with spray painting your appliances yourself? I really want a new SS DW to match the rest of my new kitchen, but can't afford it right now. I was thinking about attempting to spray my current white KA with appliance epoxy in SS color. I'm sure it won't actually look like SS, but it might be better than stark white. Besides, what's the worst that could happen. If it looks terrible, I can repaint it white. Right?

Anyone who has experience with this please enlighten me. Thx!

Comments (21)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Hi Sugar -- I'm sure I've seen threads about this - have you tried searching on site:ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl appliance paint or some-such?

I think it was often recommended to actually take the door to an auto body shop. I don't know whether it's a no-lose situation to just try it yourself first though.

• antsss
    12 years ago

Painting almost always boils down to the prep work and the painter's skill in applying the coating.

If you have a bit of experience - go for it.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, both of you.

I bought a can of Rustoleum appliance epoxy in SS. The DW has one coat on it right now (after prep). Need to wait a couple of hours and see if it needs any additional work. It looks about how I expected it to. Of course, the control panel is on the front and I can't paint that part, so it'll still have some white on it. Overall though, I think it will look better than all white until I can afford a new SS DW.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

When the bezel on an old GE range had the letters come off in cleaning it I tried to put some on with a stencil. It looked so bad I found some stainless steel tape and applied it over that part of the stove. I think you will get a more relistic finish if you can find a stainless steel surface adhesive paper. Just remove the panel and cut it carefully and then trim before putting it back. I'm sure it's out there.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I did find the SS look adhesive paper, but the problem with using that is the DW door is textured. I seriously doubt it would adhere correctly or look decent when done. I would have liked to have tried that because I'm sure it would look much better than the paint will.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the finished DW with the SS paint:

{{gwi:1392490}}
    And, for some actual SS perspective next to it:

{{gwi:1392491}}
    I think it looks better now than when it was all white:

{{gwi:1392492}}

• mnzinnia
    12 years ago

I painted an almost new dw when we did some pre sale prep. It changed from almond to black. I carefully removed the front (had to get a small star screwdriver for this). Then I gave it several coats of appliance spray paint over several days (allowing it to dry well between coats) in my improvised paint booth. The control panel was almond so I ordered a new one (about $100 bucks). For about $110 we had a dw that matched the new appliances. It worked out great.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mnzinnia - If I planned on keeping this DW, I might consider swapping out the electronic panel for black. This is just an interim measure to quell my desire to "fix" the white DW with money I don't have. lol This will suffice until I can afford a real SS DW. :)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Wow, that looks *great*!

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! It's much better than the all white version, that's for sure. I think I can live with it for a while.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

I like your sink.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, weedmeister. It's a 36" Kraus 60/40

• antsss
    12 years ago

Might inquire about the cost of a black plastic control cover from parts.

You should also check to see if that model is part of the group that has questionable control boards that are catching fire.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

antsss - The DW is eight years old, so not sure if it is part of the meltdown group you're referring to, but I will check it out. Thanks.

Incidentally, don't know if you saw my other thread in the Kitchens forum or here in the Viking owners thread, but I'm having a problem with my brand new Viking AG range right out of the box. If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to read them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens forum thread

• booger3914
    12 years ago

That really turned out great!

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks.

• antsss
    12 years ago

Re: Viking .

What's the issue? If it's operator error or buyer's remorse, not much to be done.

If it's a shoddy build, defective part, transit damage, you're going to have to pester Viking to come make it right. They can be a real pain sometimes on this which is why I've won't use them anymore. Is this place you bought it from helping out?

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The issue was resolved today. An idiot at the Viking factory reversed the polarity of the wiring in the range. It's working fine now. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts/opinions on Wolf ranges?

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I think your dw looks great! good job!

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, steph!

• antsss
    12 years ago

I'd still check with parts about the black trim piece, even if it is 8 years old.