Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Best vacuum for pet hair

joaniepoanie
12 years ago

I am looking for the best vacuum for pet hair (dog)...lightweight, uses bags, wood and carpet, either cannister or upright. Thanks for any recommendations!

Comments (15)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Joaniepoanie,

I'm looking for the same thing and will be interested in
    the recommendations you get on GW.

I've been looking at the Miele S7260 Cat and Dog vacuum
    and wondering if it is just a gimmick, or if it is really any better
    for cat and dog hair than other vacuums.
    I also wonder if the charcoal filter helps with the inevitable pet smells.

I have an old Miele canister that I've loved.
    But it is getting up in years and no longer help with the cat hair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Cat and Dog

• lannie59
    12 years ago

We have the Miele Capricorn vacuum and it was also recommendedfor pet hair. Our 11 month old lab has put this vacuum to the test. When looking to replace our old electolux we chose this one and we have no regrets. It has lots of suction, but bags are not cheap. So far the quality seems to match the price. We have had a Miele dishwasher for 17 years and never had any problems so this helped us choose this vacuum even though the price seems very high. When you think of how long you keep a good vacuum then the price per year is justifiable.

• furnitureshopper
    12 years ago

I absolutely love my Miele S7 Jazz upright. It does a great job picking up pet hair from carpet and hard floors. It runs quiet so my dog is no longer bothered by the vacuum cleaner. The filter on this model is HEPA so I can't comment on the charcoal filter. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased the Dog & Cat model due to the included pet hair attachment. I have leather furniture, and no stairs, but now see the utility of having a small vacuum head for tight spaces, mattresses, etc. You may want to check out the Cleaning forum for more discussion on vacuums.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi furnitureshopper and lannie59,

Great to know that you are enjoying
    your Miele Jazz upright and the deluxe Capricorn.

• pkguy
    12 years ago

Well for one thing the Miele upright is definitely not lightweight, that might be a negative.
    Also be aware that varios Miele canisters come with various floor nozzles.. some don't have a power nozzle, some have an air driven turbo nozzle and some have an electric power nozzle. There are even various electric power nozzles,, the lower priced one is not as good as the more expensive one. The air driven turbo nozzles are not good picking up dog hair on carpet.
    Do you homework before you buy a Miele,, they're good vacs, they're very quiet, but the bags are very expensive and if you have dogs, they'll fill up quite quickly. Ask me how I know LOL

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

For about 1/3rd the price you could get a Shark Lift Away, only problem is that it doesn't use bags.

It is both a canister and an upright, lightweight, great for wood and carpet, comes with a pet hair turbo brush attachment.

The canister empties very easy and no cost for bags.

Bought mine at BB&B for $160.00, works great.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi joaniepoanie,

I just wanted to check back in to let you know that I ended up buying a Miele upright (S7 series Salsa model with Hepa filter) with a hand turbo mini brush attachment thrown in to sweeten the deal by my local vacuum store.

I love it so far. It is a great supplement to my old Miele canister and works great on thick shag carpets as well as bare floors.

It is not lightweight! So it may not be the vacuum for you.

• Dando
    12 years ago

Is there such a thing?
    A vac with a large enough opening to suck up a whole cat. Yeah, that'd about do it.

• tarheel72
    12 years ago

About ten or eleven years ago we bought one on the Oreck uprights, their top of the line, that comes with a 21 year warranty. Each year we take it in for service (free) and they replace anything that is worn. They give us a loaner while it is there, which is about a week. Of course, if there is a problem at any other time they fix it for free. It is light weight and picks up pet hair fine. We have a Jack Russell.

We also use the iRobot pet hair model once a day in the main living area and to be honest it really picks up a lot of pet hair on both carpet and wood floors. It saves us lots of time so I would consider that as a viable alternative.

• catlover5
    12 years ago

The Shark Navigator works great for us. We have a dog that sheds once per year but for 365 days at a time :-) plus the pussycats. A vacuum with bags would cost us a fortune. We vacuum almost every day and it's great on both the HW floors and area rugs and it's so easy to empty! Ours is not the liftaway like Nunya but we also purchased at BB&B and with the 20% coupon it was very reasonably priced.

• mamacotti
    12 years ago

I have the Shark Navigator, too. It works great for us and our SIX dogs. Two Labs, Eng.Springer Spaniel, Beagle, Jack Russell Terrorist, and an Australian Shep.

I always have a vacuum going!

Suzie

• catlover5
    12 years ago

OMG, mamacotti, what happens when the doorbell rings? :-)

• beintruth
    12 years ago

My son and girlfriend said they love their dyson pet vac. The one with the heppa filter.

• bbmd
    12 years ago

I love the Dyson Animal. I have a german shepherd that sheds and sheds. It's powerful, easy to use, and takes corners and edges easily. The actual width of the unit is probably smaller than most, but it doesn't seem like I am working any harder. The attachments are super easy to use for hard to reach places or upholstery. I put the hose right in to my dog kennel and get all the loose hair in there easily.

• bigwali
    11 years ago

We have 2 vacuums and each is pretty decent for pet hair. We have 2 dachshunds and a cat. The upright is the Dyson Animal and the canister is the Eureka Pet Lover Mighty Mite. The Eureka has a turbo tool which does a really nice job of removing cat hair from chairs and clothes. We use the canister for the porcelin tiles also. I think you will be happy with either. There are some more discussed in the link below. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Vacuum Comparisons