Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Did we screw up? Vent-A-Hood only 21" deep

Posted by new_2_nj (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 9:01

Hi all,

we got an amazing deal on a Vent-A-Hood (SLH9-236SS). It seemed perfect in every way - 36" for our 30" Blue Star RNB, 600 CFM's so no MUA issues, great looking, great brand. I thought non-custom hoods came in two depths - 24" and 27", but this one is 21"! It's this going to be a problem? It seems like yes from a performance standpoint, but why would they make this depth at all? No cooktop is that shallow. Should we try to build out the back wall, so it will protude further? From the picture it looks like there is some play because the top is not flush with the bottom of the cabinet. I'm mostly concerned because the 22k BTU burners are in the front and won't be covered by the hood. Ugh - I knew it was too good to be true.

http://www.ventahood.com/images/Design_Ideas/Under_Cabinet/SLH9-236.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Did we screw up? Vent-A-Hood only 21" deep

because you'd bump your head into it every time you used it.

o

I used a couple 2x4's as spacers and cover the gap at back with a piece of stainless steel I had cut for about $20. It looked factory and worked well with no issues EXCEPT... I am 6"3" and you learn real quick that those corners on the hood are there... It only took 10-15 good hits to sink in... ;-)

o

Are you sure the hood isn't over the burners? Is the edge of the burner much more than 21" from the wall?

My hood is 21", too, and only 19" if you subtract the part with the light in it. But the hobs in my induction cooktop only come out 19". When it's on, I can see the steam heading up and back into the baffles.

24" is better capture area, no doubt, but this may be just fine for you. If not, rentaltux's suggestion is good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here