Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmertae_gw

Liebherr Fully Integrated Fridge v. Built-In

emmertae
13 years ago

We have finally decided to go with a Liebherr custom paneled refrigerator, but now are deliberating between their fully integrated refrigerators versus their built-ins. The built-ins have greater capacity, but don't fully blend into the cabinetry as far as I can tell. (The pictures aren't great, but it looks like maybe the top grill shows?) If there are other Liebherr owners out there, I'd love to hear whether the integrated models' capacity is sufficient. (We do have an overflow fridge in our mudroom off the kitchen which will help.) And/or, whether the built-in models look integrated enough. Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• jsceva
    13 years ago

I have been looking at Liebherr as well. On the built-in, there is both a top and bottom grill that shows. It doesn't look bad at all, but you can tell a fridge is there.

In contrast, the integrated models are *almost* completely hidden. I say "almost" because unlike Subzero or Thermador/Gaggenau/Miele there is a visible vent in the toekick area. Unlike the built-ins, however, you don't need a top grill. You do need top ventilation, mind, but it can be through the top rear of the cabinets as long as your cabinet isn't ceiling height. We are planning ceiling height cabinets with a crown molding, so even on integrated we will have to have ventilation to the front on top.

• emmertae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the information. Very helpful as we are having cabinetry up to the ceiling as well. So, perhaps, the decision has been made for us because of that issue.

• jsceva
    13 years ago

It's odd. I actually just revisited the design guides Liebherr publishes for the built-in and integrated options, and the language on top ventilation is almost identical Both state that "there must be a ventilation space at least 31 in. (200 cm) at the airï¬Âow inlet (1) and at the airï¬Âow outlet (2)," and that the top vetilation can be directed (a) directly over the appliance through a vent/grill, (b) above the cabinet and below the ceiling, or (c) through a vent in a soffit.
    The ONLY difference is that for some reason the built-in references only venting directly above the unit using the "optional factory air vent," while the integrated says you can use " an optional factory air vent or custom made one using the template supplied with the unit."

Realistically, it looks like the major difference in appearance between the two options is that built in has the vent at the base as part of the unit, fairly large and prominent, and integrated has a smaller grill or opening you can put in your own toekick. See page 4 of the design guide you can download at the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for downloading fully integrated design guide

• kitchenkat
    13 years ago

You can have someone build a cabinet matching bottom grill from 1/8" or 3/8" thick wood stock with horizontal slots for air flow. As long as there are the same number of square inches of air flow as on the factory built grill, it will work as well and be nearly invisible.

• emmertae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures, marthavilla. I am considering the fridge you have along with the 48" side by side. And, kitchenkat, I appreciate your advice about a wood "grill".

• emmertae
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, marthavilla -- I wanted to see if you felt that the 36" Liebherr french door was sufficient capacity for you. We have 3 young kids and currently have a 36" stand alone french door refrigerator. It's not usually full and I am sure we could be better organized with the space if we had to be. Thanks!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Well, yes, emmertae. I find the Liebherr 36" FD to be more than sufficient capacity-wise. But, then, I'm flying solo here! :-) What I have found, is that this unit is deceptively smaller in appearance than it is IRL. That said, I honestly can't say how it might serve the storage needs of family of 5. On the rare occasions when I've needed additional space(e.g., after a holiday dinner for a dozen or more), I've been able to take advantage of a second refrigerator that is in my "summer kitchen." Lastly, I note that, as a pretty short person, I am not impossibly challenged by the height of this refrigerator.

• sillybilly5
    13 years ago

I was also seriously considering the Liebherr fridge but in the end I just bought the panel-ready FI freezer. I'm putting it in the walk-in pantry but there won't be a door on the pantry so I want it to look seamless and integrated with the rest of the pantry's cabinetry. All of the cabinets will go to the ceiling with crown moulding so I had a venting issue. What I decided was to put a cabinet above the freezer with a rectangular hole in the back of the cabinet (that can't be seen) and then we're going to put an open hutch above it that will be crowned. The back of the hutch will be bead-boarded. So if you want your fridge/freezer to look like an armoire or pantry (so no venting revealed), this solution may work for you. Hopefully, I explained it so that you follow... if not, just ask and I'll post my design.

• babymakes3
    8 years ago

Hi Marthavila - this is an old thread, but I love your handle pulls in your kitchen. Can you tell me who makes them. Thanks!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH