Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mawolfson_gw

Wolf Vent Hood Duct Question

mawolfson
10 years ago

I have a 1200 CFM 48" Wide Wolf hood. It is attached to a 10" duct that vents out the window that is at a right angle to the Wolf 48" gas range.

We live in an apartment and had to drop ceilings to incorporate the duct work from the hood. Our contractor started with a 10" duct then moved to a shallow but wide rectangular duct before going back to a 10" duct that exits out the window.

The problem is the hood barely pulls any smoke/smell out of the kitchen. When I cook almost anything, the apartment quickly fills up with smoke and on several occasions, has set off the smoke alarms (at least I know those work). On top of the lack of exhaust the vent is very loud. Almost unbearable when on high, a setting I frequently have to use.

The contractor claims that the total square inches of the narrow but wide duct is greater than the 10" round duct and therefore works well and kept the ceiling higher along its path.

Has anyone heard of doing this sort of duct work?
Would installing a 10" duct the entire path and removing this "rectangle" solve the problem. I know having a 90 degree turn isn't ideal but we were very limited where we could place the range and the external exhaust due to the layout of the apartment.

Comments (5)