Return to the Appliances Forum

o
Bertazzoni Thread #3

Posted by judithn (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 8:06

The old thread has reached the limit, so here's a new one. The contractors hooked up my stove last night. I've only played around with it and boiled water for tea this morning (yay! after 7 weeks w/o a kitchen, I'm thrilled!).

First, I love the dual burner. It seems very powerful. I checked out the other burners, they work nicely too. I was aware of some people's discomfort with the way the knobs work, and I understand exactly what anyone who doesn't like the operation doesn't like. It does take some getting used to. You sort of have to press the knob in, turn it slowly until the gas gets going, then find the flame power you want and let the pressure off of the knob slowly. Okay? I hope that makes sense.

I'll have to see how I feel about this after I've really worked with the unit. I am not bothered though because it's exactly like my sister in law's stove in Amsterdam. It makes sense, since the Berta is a European product, that it works just like the Siemens or the Smeg stoves. I'm sure everyone in the house here will adapt to it too.

I don't know when I'll try the oven out since we don't have granite yet, which means no running water. The biggest pain with the kitchen remodel hasn't been the lack of a stove, it's been the lack of a clean up sink.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bertazzoni Thread #3

judithn--congratulations on getting your Berta up and running. Keep us posted. I know some have said Berta's oven isn't too large and when I saw it in person it did seem smaller than some others. So I looked at my old Magic Chef last night and its oven is 16"D x 22"W x 12"H--similar to Berta's I think. So that's not a problem for me. (It's been broken so long I didn't remember what size it was!) I love how the Berta has glass behind the oven door and the racks seem sturdier than on other models. And it looks like you could hang a potholder from those burner knobs if you wanted.

o

judithn - Congrats on the Berta up and running! Seems you have had some experience with the European ranges, so you were already aware of certain querks. I had never worked a European range until my Berta arrived, so it was a learning experience to be certain, but I LOVE my range. It really is a non-issue as far as starting up the burners. Really, it takes barely a couple seconds any more to light them, and I do as you say you do. The oven is the same way. Once you get used to it, it's no problem and not frustrating in the least. Also, I know people say you need a range hood, but space was an issue, so we installed the Advantium over it with no problems. I feel bad for plumorchard and the frustrations encountered with her Berta. I know if I had a lemon that apparently she had, I would have replaced it, as well. I'm sorry that representatives didn't contact her either - that's not good.

Overall, I am very happy with mine and cooking with it is a dream. And, clean up is a breeze! Simply love it! Hope you have similar experiences cooking on yours. Keep us posted!

joycenyc - thanks for the compliment on the photo!

o

judithn & ckshopper - Thanks for the information on your experiences with the Berta. I'm still hesitant, but good to know that others have had good experiences with it.

joycenyc- I've been to Krups a number of time, and have had good service. I went there yesterday and got a quote on my appliances. I got better quotes elsewhere, but is still considering them for bathroom fixtures. I've dealt primarily with Mark.

o

Did your installers get yours flush with your countertop by the way? Right now, they've set mine up high on the legs. About 37 " or so. The granite has not been installed yet, and they say that after the granite is installed they will lower the stove and it will be flush. Did your installers do that too? I can't figure out why...

o

ckshopper--Thanks for the info and you're welcome.

emmasouf--Stuart told me a Liebherr would not fit into my apt. Wanted to charge me $600 to remove the Sub-zero plus a lot of other charges. I remember being on cloud 9 that there was a solution and then searching the Web to find the truth about Northland's energy rating. What a let down! Maybe he thought since I'm older I'm not computer literate and wouldn't find out. Well, he'd be wrong because I've been using a computer since 1984. So my nephew sent me to RCI where he got his appliances and there's a Liebherr in my kitchen right now! You, of course, should do whatever's right for you.

judithn--I've been wondering the same thing about height. ckshopper's looks a little higher than the counter. Since I have a slide-in now, my counter is low so think I would take the very lowest setting of the Berta about 35.5"-36". Does anyone have their Berta this height? Did anyone use the toe kick plate?

o

joycenyc - my Berta is set at the lowest setting. Yes, it is about an inch taller than my counter. The counter is lower than at my old house, and it never occurred to me to check. I figured they were all about the same height. It hasn't been an issue, however, so no biggie to me. The range that was with this house was a slide-in Whirlpool, and it was the same height at the Berta. We didn't check to see if that range had a lower adjustment, because we wanted rid of it as soon as we could.

o

ckshopper--Thanks for the info. To the top of my counter from the tile floor is about 35 13/16" inches. But my current range feet actually sit on the cement subfloor (they cut the tile out) so I guess it's at least 36". Yours looks very nice sitting on the tile floor, but maybe that's why it's a little higher. My counters are 24 1/4" deep and 1 1/2" high. I would like the top of the range to be even with the counter top if possible. If the Berta's lowest setting is 35 1/2" that should make it. And I might need the toe kick plate to hide the cut tile. Currently I can't see it; I didn't even know this until I looked under the range with a flashlight. Is this some NYC thing? I don't think it was done to save money because previous owner left a whole box of extra tiles.

o

Since the last time I was here I wasn't very happy with my Berta, I thought I better drop by with an update.

For those who don't remember, I had my Berta up and running just before Xmas. I wasn't happy with the burner range and my oven would only heat to 500. After several very friendly and very helpful calls to Service Power, we figured out our contractor must not have completed all of the steps to convert to LP. A call to our contractor confirmed this, he didn't know about half the steps. Service Power sent out a repair man, who was also very friendly and helpful. He specializes in DCS and Bertazzoni repair, so he was very knowledgable. I commented that I would have preferred DCS but because of budget went with Berta. He stated that he prefers the Bertazzoni as far as performance and repairs. However, he has never personally owned either. After a few quick adjustments Berta works like a charm! I only have one complaint-it takes so long to preheat the oven. But, I hear that about almost all of the new ovens. Yes, it does take a few seconds to light the oven, but that really doesn't bother me. It's kind of relaxing watching the flame flicker, like watching a candle. And, I'm never in a big hurry to do anything anyways.

Also, I noticed a few people asking about Homeclick. I purchased my Berta from Homeclick. The order went very smoothly and was delivered sooner than quoted. I took advantage of their 12 mo no interest plan. They use Wells Fargo Credit. We have used them a few other times for varios store credit purchases. I have always had problems with them, but nothing that wasn't corrected after a few phone calls. This time was no different. Just as everytime before when we have opened a new acct with them, the first bill we receive includes a late charge. I was told that would be removed. I immidiatly sent payment. However, their creditors continued to call several times a day. Each time I would explain the whole situation, again. They even continued to call for several days after my check had cleared my bank.

But, back to Berta, I am very happy with her so far.

Plumorchard, I'm sorry your Berta is not working out for you. I hope things between you and your new range work out better:)

o

I ordered my Berta back in December, but house construction is still very far from completion, so Berta hasn't even been shipped here to OK yet. Anyway, the experiences here with lighting the Berta seem very similar to my experience with an O'Keefe Merrit range dating back to the 1940s that I absolutely adored at my house before last. I begged DH to let me take it with me to the next house, but he convinced me moving an appliance that old was too risky. Lighting the burners on the O'Keefe required holding the knobs in a certain position for a few seconds to ignite the flame; and turning on the oven required opening the oven door while turning the knob. The look of the Berta and its function remind me of the old beloved O'Keffe, so much so that I had the Berta painted white as was the O'Keefe. Thus, I await receipt of it and someday using it with great anticipation and not dread that the burner and stove ignition will frustrate me.

o

Does the front of the Berta get unpleasantly hot while baking?

I'm torn. They are so cute...

o

Everyone--Could you please tell me which dishwasher brand and model you selected to go with your Berta? I'm leaning toward the Berta but also need to replace my old Thermador DW. I prefer a SS tub. Thanks.

o

joycenyc, I bought an ASKO dishwasher. It's 3232XLFI. It will be fully integrated into the cabinetry and I'm using stainless bar pulls for the cabinet pulls. I'll just put a matching one on the dishwasher cabinet. My refrigerator is the Jenn Air French Door Cabinet Depth. It will also have panels. The handles on the JAFD are just like the handle on the Berta, and look excellent together. It is fairly easy these days to find other small appliances with the straight stainless rail type handle. I bought a Hamilton Beach Toaster Oven for the counter top with the same hardware. When I buy a microwave for the niche built into the cabinetry, I'll go for one that matches.

o

fori - the oven door has heat-resistant glass which keeps the front from getting hot. I never feel hot when the oven is on while I'm using the burners.

joycenyc - I have the Bosch integrated SS DW. All the handles in my kitchen, stainless steel appliances included, are curved, except for the Berta. I don't notice the difference. I didn't really care if all the handles matched. I just wanted the appliances to perform well, be nice looking but not grossly expensive in price, be stainless steel, and fit into the space I had to work with.

o

Another picture...still don't have my backsplash installed yet - another project for dear hubby..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The counter height is about 1-1/2 shorter than the cabinet height in my former home. Also, it could be because of the granite slab being not as thick as the granite in my former home.

o

ckshopper- Your kitchen looks great! The Berta is so gorgeous. Can you let me know the brand and model number of your OTR microwave. I love the way it looks with the Berta.

o

ckshopper - thanks for the photo. can you identify the color of the paint you used on the backsplash? It's really pretty and looks great with your other selections.

o

Thank you all for the nice compliments! It is still a work in progress - you know how that goes!

emmasouf - It is the GE Advantium 120 SCA1001KSS, purchased last year at Expo. Since it's the Advantium, we can use it as a microwave, an oven and a warming drawer. We have no spare space for double ovens, so this serves its purpose nicely. Venting has not been an issue since the Berta is not the true commercial, high BTU range. The OTR vents to the outside. We love it, thus far. I wanted to show in the picture, that even with different handles, it still looks great. The Berta is really the true focus in my kitchen.

judithn - thank you for the nice compliment! The paint color is "Shutter Brown 2007-9A" from Lowes American Tradition paint Kithen & Bath. It is a very dark chocolate brown. It looks lighter in the picture because the light in the room is quite bright. We are going to install a really cool copper/grey slate tile mosaic on the backsplash eventually, that is almost metallic looking.

Hope this helps! I really LOVE our Berta. Also, the burners are lighting quicker now and the oven is not taking as long to pre-heat. I guess the "burn-in" time is done! It is great to cook on and a dream to clean!

o

That does look nice! Thanks for the info on the oven. Now, has that setup actually been used in the picture? I'm not gonna take your comments on dream-to-clean seriously if you always keep everything so spotless; clearly you are on a different plane of clean than I! :)

o
RE: Bertazzoni Thread #3 - Griddle

I have another thread going asking for advice on selecting a gas Range. I do like everthing that I have been reading about the Bertazzoni's. My only complaint is that I do not see a griddle option. Is that true that they only come win 5 0r 6 burner configurations? There are some dishes I make I like to use a griddle without having to hold it down with one hand. Like country fried potatoes.... the best part is what is scraped off the griddle. Do if there is no option for a griddle then are there griddels that would stay put while I cook and scrape?

o

Is the Berta simmer burner the same as the higher BTU burner? Am I interpreting that correctly?

o

fori - yes, the Berta has been put to good use! And it was used prior to that photo! Literally, messes clean off with a damp paper towel and then a micro cloth to just shine up the stainless steel afterwards. I've used the stainless steel cleaner on it twice in 6 months. I do like to keep things clean up because our kitchen is entirely open to the living space - literally the kitchen is in the center of everything which is great for entertaining.

The simmer burner is the same burner as the high BTU, however there is an inner ring and outer ring on that burner - the inner ring is the simmer, and the outer ring is the high BTU and you can have them both going at the same time, if need be.

bobkeenan - As far as I know there is no griddle with the Bertas. Mine is the 30" range. I have a large Calphalon griddle which covers two burners and seems to stay put. It has a non-stick surface, however, so things don't burn on it requiring heavy scraping. It does a nice job of browning hash browns and french toast.

o

But you can't stir-fry while simmering rice? I'm going to have to think about that one...

o

Well, not on that burner. But the front right burner simmers low also - not quite as low as the left front. I simmer rice on it just fine. Left front for stir fry; right front for rice. I use my rice cooker quite a lot, especially for Korean rice.

o

Thanks. One more (for tonight anyway) question:

What's with the oven dial? It has about 3 numbers on it and you have to guess the rest. Does that work OK for you all? The spouse does not like that feature!

o

Yes you have to "estimate" if you are between the line settings on the oven dial.

o

I did not realize that you would have to estimate on the temp on some of the oven settings. This took some getting use to, but has not been a problem. I have done corn bread and a birhtday cake for my son and they both turned out lovley. I have had no problem.

o

Yes, you have to "guestimate" on temps, but it has not been an issue for us, either. Most things are 350, 450, etc. and going in between has worked out just fine for the rest. Nothing has burned, and, if fact, things come out of the oven better than any oven I have ever used. Including the digital readout versions.

o

Thanks. Maybe I could pencil in some numbers for him. :)

o

After reading many concerns and issues about the Bertazzoni's on this forum, I still couldn't resist and I broke down and made my purchase. I have to say I love this range. It looks beautiful and cooks like a dream. My old stove was a magic chef so I am so excited to finally have a new one. I received my range in about 1.5 weeks and it turns on immediately when I turn the knobs. The installer had a little trouble getting it to work, but then he simply adjusted my gas pressure and everything is fine. Thanks to everyone who posted info on this range. Your comments were very helpful. I will post pictures later.

o

chazeta - Congratulations on your new range! Glad to hear you love it and have no issues. It really is a dream to cook on it. Which size did you get and where did you order it from, if I may ask? Did you get stainless, or go for a color? Be sure to post pictures when you can - LOVE to see how it looks!

Happy cooking!
Chris

o

ckshopper, I have the 30'inch stainless. I wanted the 36inch but didn't want to go through the hassle of moving one of my cabinets and having to move my countertop. I purchased from AJD Appliances on EBAY. This guy is awesome. He has a full range of bertazzoni's and his shipping is excellent. His communication was great from start to finish. I knew exactly when I would get my range. The price wasn't so bad either. I researched for 2 months straight. I think I was becoming obssessed with this stove. I purchased my Bertazzoni for $2075.00 with free shipping. This was the lowest price I could find after searching. I went back to the appliance site where I purchased and unfortunately, he has now changed his price to $2295.00 This is a new store on EBAY and he said his Bertazzoni's have really started to sell. Hence, the price change. Though, his prices are still lower than everyone else. Today is Sunday and I plan on firing up my stove for a big Sunday dinner. I'll let you know how it turns out.

o

Trofywife said her oven would only heat to 500. How high is it supposed to go, and how often does anybody really need their oven above 500? (I was just looking at a Bertazzoni yesterday and I though 500 was the highest setting anyway, at least as marked on the knob.)

BTW how well does the Bertazzoni broil? (Although honestly, I can't remember the last time I broiled anything in my current range; I'd much rather fire up the grill outdoors.)

o
never mind

Oops, just re-read the previous Bertazzoni thread and it turns out I misunderstood Trofywife, she was saying her oven heated to 500, and only to 500, and not any lower! Definitely a problem!

o

Yes, that would be a problem, although I have not experienced any problem with heating my oven. I haven't gaged it other than to actually bake in it, however, recipes cook the same length as they did in my other oven and turn out better. I have used the broiler for garlic bread and brushetta and it performs wonderfully. We broil meats on the outdoor grill also, so I have no knowledge about that.

o

I don't know why, but the oven that only does 500 makes me laugh every time. I know I'd be mad as heck about it and not appreciate someone finding it humorous, so I'm sorry, but it's funny! Honestly, my sense of humor is normally more sophisticated.

I had hoped I'd like the Bluestar more in person, but my 10-year old barbecue looks more like it belongs indoors than those things. Hubby will not be seduced by power--not when the sheet metal doesn't line up.

The Berta gets cuter every time you see it, even with that big fat Mardi Gras dubloon stuck to it.

Has anyone looked into the Berta hoods? They only are the depth of the range (and let's be honest, that's all the space many of us are willing to dedicate) and don't look terribly special. I don't think they come in the colors.

o
Tiny oven?

According to the Bertazzoni website, their 30" range has an oven with a capacity of 83 liters, which if I'm doing my conversion right is about 2.9 cubic feet. My current range, and all the others I've looked at, have ovens with a capacity of about 4.5 cubic feet. Is this right, and if so, is it a problem??? I do like my big oven and would hate to have something smaller.

o

The oven, at slightly less than 13" high inside, was definitely shorter than most we looked at. Compared to our current oven, it's still huge! On the bright side, I figure it will take less energy to heat up. The only really big thing we cook is the T-giving bird, and DH likes to do it outside on the Weber anyway (turns out great, BTW).

o

HELP!!!! I am SO CONFUSED! I am between ordering a 36 inch 6 burner DCS or a 36inch 5 burner Bertazzoni. Can anyone help me decide based on experience?? I am driving my husband insane and need to make a decision asap. I really like the looks of ther berta. but not sure how it performs. Any advice or thoughts would be a huge help.
Thanks in advance!

o

So far, all I've done is use mine to boil water, but I'm impressed! Can't wait to REALLY cook. Hopefully, the kitchen will be done soon and I can put it to use.

o

We have been using our 36", 6 burner since Nov. 06 and we are very happy with the way it cooks. There are a few things to get used to like the way you have to light the oven and the lack of increments on the oven knob, but it is no big deal. We did have a small problem with the handle being loose on the oven door but the repair man will be here on Friday to fix it. Bottom line, We love it.

o

I, too, am interested in fori's question above re the Berta hood. Has anyone purchased it? What do you think? I plan to take my subway tile all the way to the ceiling above my Berta range and have the hood and its vent pipe exposed (in other words, no wall cabinets over the range). My DH likes the Berta emblem on the hood and the consistent look that would give and the price seems reasonable. But, I'd like to hear any specific reviews.

Also, there was a question above about colors of the hood. It does only come in Stainless. Although ny Berta will be painted white, the top of it is stainless, so the all stainless hood doesn't bother me.

o

Thanks judithn and ckshopper for answering my previous DW post. ckshopper your kitchen is beautiful! Still need DW advice and have started a new thread "Dishwasher Selection Help." Since it relates to Berta, I will post it here also.

"Need to replace 20+ year Thermador custom-panel DW. Cabinet depth is only 23.5" (counters are 24.5"). Think this depth limits me to Bosch, Miele, or Thermador. Have a CS1650 Liebherr fridge and thinking of getting a 30" Bertazzoni range.
I have seen for sale on the Web a Bertazzoni dishwasher handle kit so that you can match your dishwasher to your Bertazzoni range. No one seems to be able to tell me which dishwasher model I would get for this. I would just like to have a fully integrated stainless steel dishwasher with matching Bertazzoni handle. What do I do? Would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks."

o

Joyce - I cannot answer your dishwasher question, as I have not yet chosen the dishwasher for my new kitchen. The only reason I've already purchased Berta is because I thought there was going to be a price increase after the new year and needed to lock in the price (apparently, I was wrong). I am, though, leaning towards either Miele or Asko. I haven't liked two of the three Bosches that I've owned, so want to give another brand a try.

I am, however, very intersted to learn what you find out re which dishwashers fit the matching Berta handle, so please share your discovery.

o

this is a great thread.

I went to look at a Blue Star 30" at Bay Cities Appliances in LA and the salesperson turned me onto the Bertazzoni (he said it's a better priced unit and in his experience better). The only thing wife and I are concerned about is the fact that the four burners have different BTUs. I was wondering for those who have used the 30" if the different ranges for BTU are good for cooking various differing dishes, we were thinking it would be nice to have all four burners at 15K so we can adjust but is that reallly necessary. I would love to hear more experience cooking with the 30" Bert.

Also, for those in LA, is there any store that have a live unit? Bay Cities does not have a live unit.

Thanks

o

I have the 30". The different BTU's have not been an issue at all. I use the front right for rice, soups, chili, et. The left front for boiling water for pasta, stir frying, etc. Although, each burner has been fine for everything we cook, we just make adjustments for simmer, etc. The left front simmer is great for sauces and things you want to warm up and not burn. My previous GE 36" cooktop had different BTU burners also, so this was normal for me. I believe Pacific Sales carries the Berta, at least the store in Rancho Mirage did. It had a 36" on display.

o

No offense to Berta lovers, but I'd be skeptical of a dealer who said Bertas are better than Blue Stars. They just don't have the stats. But Blue Stars look like garbage next to a Bertazzoni.

As far as only having one high-power burner, I have had that setup on a different range and it worked well for me. What bothers me a little is that the high power is also the super-low powered burner, and while I've been assured there is simmerability on another burner, it makes me wonder...

o

Please help! Does the Berta 30" gas range come with 2 or 3 oven racks?

Went to purchase my Berta today and there were only 2 racks in the floor sample. I'm sure I saw 3 racks the few times I've seen it at other stores. I even called one of these stores and they said 3. My salesman called his distributor and he said 2. I did make my purchase as this is the place that did a great job with my Liebherr. But I told them if it's 3 then I want 3 also.

Re: the dishwasher, I ordered the Bosch SHU66CxUC as it's just too much trouble and expense to get a custom DW, find someone to fabricate a custom SS panel for it, and then add a Berta handle. But good luck to anyone who might try this. The design of the Bosch resembles my old Thermador so at least I'm used to it. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

o

My Berta is the 30" and it came with two racks. When we looked at the 36" floor model at Pacific Sales, it had two racks, as well. The drip pan has a little rack that sits in it.

I have the Bosch Integra integrated DW and the rounded handle looks fine. My Advantium has a rounded handle and it sits over my Berta - no one has noticed different handles. They just notice the sleek look of the Berta!

o

ckshopper--thanks, your kitchen looks so beautiful (hope you don't mind but I have your Berta as my desktop wallpaper). I was originally going to get the Bosch Integra also. But then I changed to the SHU66. It reminds me of my old one and I can see what's going on. My kitchen is only 7' x 7' and it was just too many handles in such a small space. But in a more spread out kitchen, I don't think you'd even notice as you said.

At Manhattan Kitchen & Bath (and elsewhere but I can't remember where) the Berta has 3 regular oven racks. I saw it in person last month and called them yesterday and they verified this on the phone.

I'll let you know how the Berta comes along.

o

joycenyc - Wow! I feel honored to be your "wallpaper!" Thank you so much for the kind compliments! I'm pleased with everything, thus far, but still have a killer backsplash to install. My DH has so many projects lined up, it's hard to keep them straight. I'll keep you posted on new developments!

Well, I wonder if I got all the racks I was supposed to. The instruction manual only shows two racks, which is what I received. Don't know if I really need three racks anyway, but may check on it with Eurostoves just to satisfy my curiosity.

I had looked at that Bosch, as well, but I didn't want to see anything other than the handle. Don't really mind not knowing what's going on. I usually start it before I go to bed anyhow.

Be sure to post pictures when you get yours installed! I'm sure you'll enjoy it - I know we do!

All the best!

o

I think I had 3 racks - couldn't swear to it but I am thinking it was 3.

Either way, you could probably order a 3rd if it was needed.

o
Racks

Sorry - I did have 2 - I just ran to look at some pictures. It had 4 positions/2 racks. Just wanted to clarify.

o

I thought I post a picture of my berta up and running. Love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: berta picture

o

Thanks for looking, plumorchard. That's a beautiful picture of your kitchen and Berta, washit3. That's a "big Berta." Did you have any trouble installing/igniting? I told my installers about "adjusting the gas pressure" that I read on this thread. They said they have already installed a few successfully. May get mine next week if all goes OK. Now I'm worried about the electrical socket as mine is high and to the right because I have a slide-in lift top range. Hope this won't be a problem for installing Berta.

o

joycenyc, We had no problems with install. My GC put mine in, as I purchased online. He ajusted to gas pressure with some little device, and then we were good to go. Mine lights right away. My power was low and to the left, so I'm not much help there. Good luck!

o

Joycenyc- I live in NYC too with small galley kitchen that I am about to remodel and looking at the Berta also. How do you like it? What other ranges were you looking at and what ultimately made you decide to go with the Berta. TIA.

o

Thanks, washit3.

uws250--I really like the Berta but haven't received it yet. Am replacing a slide-in range so I looked at all the gas slide-ins. Manhattan Kitchen & Bath has a really nice display of the top contenders side by side: Berta, Kitchen Aid, and Jenn Air Pro-Style. Gringer's also has a lot on display. Bosch Integra is also nice but dual fuel and high grates made it too high for me.

Problem I have is no ventilation so couldn't get a four 15 Btu burner range of any type (I liked the 30" Thermador counter-depth). Too powerful and best vented to outside I think; salesman said he couldn't even sell me one.

Berta is beautiful with one-piece seamless SS top and no electronics to break (I've been listening to a screwy clock/timer thing on my range for years!). And the burner power is OK for a NYC apt. I'm getting the low island riser (makes the back 2" lower--see on Berta at MK&B)so that it will almost look like a slide-in. But the beautiful photos posted on this site do, too. It's only 2".

Good luck on your range search and I'll post more when I get mine.

o

washit3 - Absolutely stunning! Beautiful kitchen! Keep us posted on how you enjoy it!

joycenyc - My electrical socket was up high on the wall, also, so the Berta couldn't slide all the way back. Another socket box was added at the bottom part of the wall so that the Berta could slide all the way back. Any good electrician can do this easily, so not to worry, too much!

o

Thanks joycenyc. I was at Gringer & Sons and Krups yesterday so was able to see it. MCKB is closed on Saturdays! Very weird so didn't get to go in there. I also will have ventless and didn't realize the 4 15k BTUs could be an issue. Very good to know. Love the Bosch integra too but like you the dual-fuel made it not an option. Definitely let me know how things go with your Berta. We will start our renovation in June.

Where did you end up buying yours and how much was it?

BTW- Gringer & Sons doesn't have the Berta on the floor right now b/c they are getting a red 30" in next week which they are putting on the floor for display.

o

Thanks for the info, ckshopper.

uws250--I got my Berta at RCI uptown and paid $2,150. At MK&B I was quoted either $2,250 or $2,295 (sorry, lost the quote). RCI now has one on display; they didn't back in Dec. when I bought my CS1650 Liebherr.

When I "saw" it at Gringer & Sons it was piled with so many boxes that I didn't really get to see the top. Didn't know the 30" was now available in colors. Maybe you'll want a color. Let us know if you see it with 2 or 3 regular oven racks. Thanks and good luck.

o

Joycenyc- I'll check out RCI this week. I was there a couple of weeks ago but didn't notice it. I'm also doing a 30" Liebherr like you and think the two would look great together. When are you installing yours?

Ckshopper- How is the Berta oven? I'm concerned that it is only 13" in height. If I can get passed that I'll buy it. Thanks for any info on the oven as well as your experience cooking with it so far.

o

uws250--I already have my CS1650 Liebherr installed in the space of my old Sub-zero 211. It looks built in except I still need something to cover the exposed edging left by the SZ. I'm getting my Berta this Thursday, but I'm worried that my electrical receptacle is in the wrong place.

Re: oven size, I measured and the Berta oven is the same size as my old Magic Chef slide-in so it's not a problem for me. I also think the Liebherr and Berta go well together and do not overwhelm a small NYC kitchen. In fact, my Liebherr actually sticks out less than the Sub-zero did. Think Berta will be the same when I solve the receptacle problem. The Berta is right by the door at RCI.

o

uws250 - The oven is fantastic! This is my first time with an all gas range, so I wasn't sure if I would like a gas oven, but it is great! The size of the oven is about the size of my GE Profile built in at my old house. I have no problem with size of anything. I haven't made a turkey in it, however, but everything else is just fine.

The oven bakes so evenly and without burning. I don't burn the bottom of a pizza anymore! Lasagna is perfect. Cookies have turned out great; flatten out nicely and are chewy (of course if you leave them in too long they'll be crispy!) A meatloaf in the GE would burn to a crisp on the top, but not be done in the middle. In the Berta it cooks evenly without burning and is not dried out; it is very moist, juicy and delicious. It maintains heat perfectly. The more you use it, it seems the less time it takes to preheat. Not having a digital readout for temperatures is not an issue, either.

I love my Berta! Anything else I can help with, I will be happy to do so. Maybe take your favorite pans with you to try out in the floor model if you're concerned with size. It never hurts to try.

Happy cooking!

o

Joycenyc- Post pics of your kitchen once the Berta is installed. Will head to RCI this week.

CKshopper- thanks for the reassurance on oven size and your experience with cooking with it. Sounds great!

o

Not technologically able to post a pic at this time but my Berta was installed without a hitch and there is no trouble at all lighting the burners or oven. It lights after a couple clicks just like my old Magic Chef. And I always opened the oven door to make sure it was lit so nothing is different except that I am rid of the squeaky old clock/timer thing and my kitchen is quiet for the first time in years.

I haven't been able to find in the instructions where I am supposed to "burn off" the oven at a high temp. Can anyone help me with this? And on another thread I read where you are supposed to "season" the cast-iron grates like you do a cast-iron skillet. So I haven't used the range yet.

o

joycenyc - The instruction manual we received has the info on page 15 right about middle of the page:

"NOTICE: when using the oven for the first time it should be operated for 15-30 minutes at a temperature of about 500F/260C without cooking anything inside in order to eliminate any moisture and odours from the internal insulation."

We really didn't have much odor, but we did open the windows just in case.

Didn't read anything about seasoning the grates, so we didn't with no problems. They are easy to clean, also.

Good luck! Happy cooking!

o

Thanks, ckshopper. I do see that now. My range sticks out from the cabinets the same as yours; the top is even with the counter; the feet rest on the tile floor. Had problem with the DW as tile had to be chopped up to get the old one out. So much for putting in the tile floor after the fact, but I didn't do it.

Really like the Bosch SHU66 in person; saw the cheaper model at the store and the control panel was a lighter color SS so thought that's what I'd be getting. But this one is all the same color SS and the Berta, Bosch, and Liebherr match perfectly. Would appreciate knowing which DW soap, etc. you use.

The "season grates" idea was on the thread "Wolf Grate Discoloration (pics)" but now there's some disagreement so I don't know what to do. I do know it helps cast-iron skillets.

o

Plumorchard and how88; My wife and I recently purchased the Bertazzoni 36" stainless steel oven based on the recommendations, reviews and opinions posted particularly by the two of you. The photos posted were also a factor in the purchase of the unit as well. We purchased the Broan 36" professional stainless steel hood and now have to vent the unit through an internal wall behind the oven, make a 90 degree right turn and travel approximately 10 feet to an outside wall to install the exhaust fan. Our question is, based on the photo posted by How88, showing his Broan hood with the filers on each side, how did you run your vent and exhaust fan. The photo appears to suggest that you ran a duct behind or into your cabinet above and into the wall. Additionally, I read that you were encouraged to purchase a deeper cabinet to accomodate the duct work. Can the duct work be run from the rear puch out on the hood in stead of the top opening? Can you describe in more detail the installation process to finalize the hood and vent install? Or, do you have other suggestions on an alternative to connecting the duct work from the top of the hood. My desire is to preserve the cabinet space above the hood if possible. In case you would like to communicate with me via email, my email address is nwasr@msn.com and my name is Nate, Sr. I am located in Pittsburgh, PA, otherwise simply post here. i will keep checking for you response or the response from others reading this post. Thanks, Nate, Sr.

o

Hi all,
I haven't been been to Gardenweb for a long while now and was surprised to see a Bertazzoni Thread #3. I've been enjoying my 36" Berta since last Nov, around the same time Plumorchard installed hers. I am sorry to hear of Plumorchard's problems. I hope she finds a new range to fit her space and cooking needs.

I have no problem igniting my burners or stove. It only takes about 3 seconds. I have no issues with the oven door open while turning it on. I've had to learn how to use a gas range though, having only used an electric cooktop and a separate 28" electric oven for 27 years. I love my double burner for my daily Chinese stir-frying. I get lots of "wok flavour" ("wok hay" for you Cantonese speakers out there) which was difficult to get with electric burners. The little 300 BTU burner (at the lowest setting), on the right front is perfect for my rice steaming since I no longer use my aluminum rice cooker. I only use all 6 burners if I have a party. I've had great success with meat roasting, pizzas, and searing steak with the broiler. The same with baking loaves (I don't do cookies). The temperature seems fine though I have not measured it with a thermometer. I have no problem with the racks, nor the oven size. The oven door and handle stay cool. I've been wiping down the inside of the oven and the door to lessen the need to do a big oven cleanup.

nate_sr, you asked: "We purchased the Broan 36" professional stainless steel hood and now have to vent the unit through an internal wall behind the oven, make a 90 degree right turn and travel approximately 10 feet to an outside wall to install the exhaust fan. Our question is, based on the photo posted by How88, showing his Broan hood with the filers on each side, how did you run your vent and exhaust fan. The photo appears to suggest that you ran a duct behind or into your cabinet above and into the wall. Additionally, I read that you were encouraged to purchase a deeper cabinet to accomodate the duct work. Can the duct work be run from the rear puch out on the hood in stead of the top opening? Can you describe in more detail the installation process to finalize the hood and vent install?"

Yes, we had the kitchen people make a deeper cabinet to accommodate the 10" duct. The side benefit of that decision was we got a varied depth to the design of our cabinets in addition to the varied height that we had originally wanted. We love that look.

Our duct vents up to the roof where we installed an external fan. Your Broan hood should allow either roof or back wall venting. We have one bend in our installation. The rest is a straight but a 4 foot diagonal route to the roof. You can see the elblow in the picture in the link below. The way you have described the 90 degree turn and 10 foot to the outside wall should work just fine. You may have read in the hood venting threads on the forum, the straighter and shorter the duct the more efficiency. You are doing what you can possibly do with the situation you have. As for using the cabinet where the duct is, you may not find much room. The 10" duct takes a lot of room. My cabinet is very low and I can only store rarely-used, small items up there. In addition, that cabinet is too high and I have to use a step ladder to get to it.

Good luck with your new Berta and Broan hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duct in cabinet above range hood

o

How88;
Thanks for your reply. We have spoken to our HVAC person that installed our furnace and he will come by Monday after Easter to take a look at our situation. He feels confident that we can make the install sucessfully as I have described. We plan to insall the exhaust on the side wall of the house outside a small window which we boarded up when we purchased our home 11 years ago. We plan to reframe the opening to accomodate the fan. In regards to the cabinet, is it possible to post a copy of it for visual perspective. I will take a photo of our current configuration which shows where we removed a 30" gas oven and installed the 36" Berta. We had to remove a 12" end cabinet and special order a 9" end cabinet, as we have run out of wall space after purchasing also a 36" wall cabinet to mount the Hood to. We also have the floor tile issue, as the floor tile was installed prior to the purchase of the 36" Berta. We have a friend coming over to fininsh the floor tile under the oven too. Once I take the photos, I'll post here.

Thanks again,

Nate, Sr.

o

Nate, Sr - I won't be much help w/your question. We had a recirculating/non vented hood.

How88 - thanks for the kind words!

Best wishes to all!

o

Hi everyone, I have reading this thread and #2 and I am really excited-I was going to order the Bosch dual fuel range (despite the black ceramic top that most hate cleaning) but now after seeing and reading about the Berta-I'm hooked-it is a beautiful range! I haven't heard anything about this range before reading this thread. Tell me again about the cleaning process-is that much easier than black ceramic? I can't wait to see it in person. My appliance store has a 36" on display-from the pictures on the web they look similar with the exception of the number of burners-true? This thread has really made my day!

o

super1018 - Welcome!

To me, cleaning is much easier on the Berta than on black ceramic. I had a GE profile black cooktop before and it was a nightmare. Streaks and dust would be present at all times, even after cleaning. Would never have another black top again. I'm sure some people feel the same about stainless, however. I clean my Berta cooktop with a little Dawn Direct Foam on a cloth or paper towel, clean off the grease, sauces, whatever, then go over it with a barely damp clean cloth to buff the stainless dry. That's it. I clean the top after I cook - I don't leave the top dirty overnight. I have never had anything I can't get off with this process. Never had to use a scrubbie on any mess. Once in a while I will use a stainless steel cleaning cloth to polish it up. The oven is not self cleaning, but it hasn't been hard to clean either. I clean any messes with Dawn and a damp cloth - this mess comes right up. I use a little multi-purpose spray cleaner (very little on a paper towel), to clean the glass on the oven door.

We really love our range and have had no problems. I'm sure you would like it better than a black ceramic top - I know I do!

Good luck!

o

Thank you for the welcome and great cleaning advice-I know that ceramic top would have driven me crazy. I finally told my husband this morning over coffee about the range change-I only wish I could share the eye roll -he really thinks I'm nuts. The only thing I need to resolve is the venting. I presently have a OTR microwave vented to outside. The MW is back vented, not through the cabinet above. I need to find a back vented hood that will work under the cabinet. I think if I ask my husband to cut out the wall, extend the duct work and cut through the cabinet, it will definitely put him over the edge! Does anyone know of a back vented, under cabinet hood that will work with the Berta? I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help-you have put the excitement and fun back into this whole project! Thanks again, Susan

o

Susan - I have an Advantium OTR micro/convection/oven over my Berta. I don't know if you noticed the picture I posted on this thread showing it. We didn't have space for a microwave in a cabinet, so we chose to keep an OTR microwave for our purposes. It is vented to the outside, behind the wall and up to the roof. That might work for you until you can bribe hubby to install ductwork for a range hood! :-)

o

Could you please tell me how the broiler is on the Berta? Does it evenly broil? Also, has anyone tried cleaning the interior and what is that like?? I love the look of the Berta, but I can't think of anything worse than cleaning a stove down on the floor. Thanks

o

Thanks Plumorchard; though you may not believe it, you have been much help with your previous posts with our decision to purchase the Berta. Thanks again.

Super1018; My wife and I purchased the Broan 36" professional stainless steel hood elite which has the option to vent from the rear or from the top. We appreciated this feature, as it also allowed us to not have to be concerned with losing the cabinet space above the hood. Goto Broan.com and check out their hood options. Also check out the instruction or spec manuals of the different models they offer (posted on their site in .pdf format to download and you will need Adobe Acrobat reader installed in order to view) to get the features you are looking for (if you don't have the software, goto Adobe.com and download the free reader). My friend and I installed mine this weekend and the unit looks great under the cabinet. We are finalizing the ductwork run to a side wall which is vented with an external blower. Once completed, I will post photos here. My Install process has been ongoing as I am doing it myself and I work in the evenings, so my time is short everyday.

Softfurn; The broiler on the 36" Berta works great. It does broil evenly. I would only caution you to use the lower rack instead of the upper, as the oven is smaller than a normal household oven you would purchase from a regular store like Sears, Circuit City, Best Buy, Costco, Sams, etc. Since the oven is smaller, it cooks faster under the broiler. However, its advantage for me is that the steaks and other items broiled (garlic toast, Au Grautin Potatoes, Shrimp Alfredo, etc.)taste better because the broiling process takes less time to complete, thus making the meal taste even fresher.

I hope that I have been atleast somewhat helpful to any of you or any other reader of my post, as I have really been inspired by many of the posts made by others. This is my way of making a small contribution in return.

Nate, Sr.

o

Here's a link to thread #2 - I think #1 fell off...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bertazzoni #2

o

hi everyone:
this is a great thread. Well we purchased the 36" bert this weekend and waiting for it to arrive. I'm excited.
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
A couple of questions, since I do a lot of stir frying, do I need to buy a 42" hood? What hoods do people recommend out there? We are trying to keep our cost on the hood to a minimum cuz we have lots of other things to purchase. I thought about Kobe and heard about Venta Hood and Broan. We are not planning to put any cabinets above the range so most likely we will have a chimney hood. any advise? What should I look for in a hood?
Thank you

o

Nate, thank you so much, I am going right to the Broan site.-I would love to see the photo when you finish.

o

OK. How flush do y'all put your Bertas? It looks like washit's might be at or even below counter level, but ckshopper's is a little above. Does it matter? (I think it's the Bluestar that has the installation instruction of having it above counter level, but I don't know if it's typical.)

I'm thinking of getting a cooktop instead of a Berta just because I can't figure out how to make the counter look good next to the stainless range top--we want stainless counters and it seems like you have to either match the front profile exactly, or do something completely differeent. If I get something as potentially obnoxious as a yellow stove, it darn well better look like I meant to do it!

Any design tips on how to deal with that?

o

It's been a while since I've checked this thread. We're in the middle of our kitchen renovation. I have been using the Berta for the past couple weeks for stove top cooking and am very happy with how it does. I will use the oven as soon as the kitchen is done. I don't have proper washing up facilities at the moment -- just a sink and the disposal isn't working yet -- so I've limited myself to simple stove top cooking. Kairous, I bought a Zephyr Venezia hood. It's not hooked up so I can't report anything. It's a 24" deep hood and it's a 36" width. My Berta is the 6-burner 36" one. From everything I read, either the 36 or 42" hood is okay. Especially since the Venezia is 24" deep, the capture area extends all the way to the front. Maybe if I got a hood that was shallower, like the Savona, I would have gotten the wider size because you'd lose that front burner capture area. With regard to the fit between the Berta and the countertops...well, mine is very very snug and precisely flush with the height of the countertops adjoining. The legs are adjustable so you can make them the same level. Mine is really a perfect fit. There isn't any gap for food or liquids to seep into. It's flawless. I don't know what you mean exactly about the profiles of the countertop not matching the front edge of the Berta being a problem. People usually do what ever edge profile they want then insert the range. Of course, if you do a cooktop it is a drop in and you have no interuption to the edge. But if you do a range top, you still have the interuption of the line. I personally would not get a cooktop. The only cook top I found with 6-burners in the 26" size was the Viking. The other cooktops I found in the 36" size had 5 burners and I really wanted 6. In the range tops you can get the six burner configuration, but then again that messes up the profile of the countertop which seems important to you.

By the way, I have granite and I went with an eased edge which really looks clean and modern against the Berta.

o

Thanks judith--glad you're enjoying your Berta. I guess I'm only worrying about the edge profile because we'd be using the same material on the counter as the front edge of the stove. Still, it's just a clean, simple profile it should be matchable.

If we went with a cooktop, I think we'd be tempted to go with the Caldera. But a cooktop contributes nothing to a kitchen, except, you know, the ability to cook. The Berta is just so attractive. It contributes much much more. I'd hate to put it in and somehow make it look bad.

Do you know yet how high you'll be mounting your hood? I like the idea of the 24" deep one, but don't like the idea of baby learning new swear words when daddy bumps his head...

o

To all Berta bakers and meat roasters--How do you adjust the oven temperature controls? I thought I saw that the oven settings were not in even increments-do you just guess at settings needed between 350 and 425 degrees? Any tips on cleaning the oven after roasting? The appliance store rep kept talking about how great this range was but didn't want to "push "it. I need all the help I can get to decide on appliances-thanks.

o

tobokat - You do have to guestimate on temperature increments for the oven, but it has not been an issue. The oven bakes well and evenly from what I have found. I bake more than I roast. We like meats done on the grill - good for me for the clean up! :-) Meatlof is moist and juicy, pizzas bake evenly without burning, cookies brown evenly without burning. Casseroles, pot pies, crusty breads all bake nice without burning. I used to burn stuff constantly in the GE Profile oven (electric), no matter what I tried!

The clean up for the oven has been very easy - just a sponge with Dawn for the greasy spots. I haven't had any kind of big mess, but I would assume spot cleaning with an oven cleaner would do the trick for baked-on spills. Cleaning the top of the range has been just as easy - damp rag with Dawn and buff with clean cloth. Once in a while I use the stainless cleaner to sparkle it up.

The Berta is a great range. The quirks of lighting the oven (oven door must be open) and burners is not a big deal. The burners light up almost instantly now. We are very happy with the purchase, especially with its good looks and price point.

Good luck!

o

Our Berta is on its way to us, but our contractor needs a piece of info that we can't find. Does anyone know the total BTU output of the five-burner range? I'd actually like to know the output of each of the burners too, if that's available. Thanks!

o

Hi there,Angie here.We've ordered a 30" Bertazzoni and it'll be delivered in 3-4 wks.The gas fitter came and wanted to know the total output too!! Salesman faxed us an 8 page (Installation,service and user instructions)---it shows 34700 BTU for the 4 burner range top and 26500BTU for the oven.He told me he got it from the service dept. Hope this helps!

o

QUESTION....

We want to put a 36" range in an island and we were wondering if the raised piece on the "back of the cooktop" can be removed to get a flush to countertop look?

o

terry--No, you need that piece to vent the oven heat. It's the one part of the range that does get hot when the oven is on; the front doesn't which I find amazing. You can order a 2" island back piece as an option at additional cost (around $150) to use instead of the standard 4" back piece that comes with the range. (Sorry, you can't trade it in.)

o

We are getting ready to order a 36" 5 burner and would like feedback on color. We want to order the burgandy or black color, is the finish glossy or matte. We also want to know if any others have ordered in color, how the finish has held up and pictures if possible. Finally would like to know if the Berta has options for brass bezels for the knobs.

Thanks,

Terry

o

Terry,

We ordered the 36" 5-burner in vino, which is in a box awaiting installation. The finish is definitely glossy, not metallic, and it's beautiful. If you haven't seen it in person, I would describe the color as a little more red/less dark than it looks on Bertazzoni's website.

o

jillalmeda,

Thanks, is it tomato red or pinot noir?

o

Pinot. The red version is sports-car red, but the vino is more subtle (if the word subtle can be used to describe red at all).

o

The Berta is up and running! We haven't used the oven too much yet, but the range works just great. The simmer burner in front was perfect for making peanut sauce (which requires low heat), the mega-burner in the middle boiled pasta really quickly, and the workhorse burners in the back work for most things. The only problem I've noticed so far is that I can only get a very low simmer on two burners, the simmer burner and the middle burner that has two rings.

One thing I've noticed is that things don't seem to spatter as much, which is very nice because it's definitely more of a pain to clean than my old '50s enamel electric range. The reduced spattering might be due to the new cookware I got rather than the range, though.

Initially the center burner wasn't lighting right. One quarter of the outer burner remained unlit, and I couldn't light the inner burner unless the outer burner was lit first. But my DH got it to work for him, so either I need to learn his lighting technique or it has worked itself out.

The oven cooked a meatloaf much more quickly than our old oven, but the old oven was so bad that I don't have a good comparison. The meatloaf was a bit dry, but I think that was from overcooking and we just have to adjust to the decent baking speed.

o

I have been reading this blog and we decided to Buy the Berta 30'. We are very happy with it with one condition. When we use the oven it blows a good amount of hot air into the kitchen right above the door. This happens with or without the convection on. It makes the kitchen about 15 degrees hotter. It is really anoying. Anybod else experiece this, can something be done?? Please help..

o

The fan continues to run to cool the controls. It shuts off when the oven is off.

o

My Berta is finally up and running. I am extremely pleased with it. It took a number of tries to get the oven to light consistently, but I have it down now. Ligthing the burners is no problem to me. It's fun to cook on and I'm certainly enjoying it.

This is her first meal:

o

It looks great! Congrats...enjoy.

o

soonermagic--just love your Berta and your kitchen is beautiful! I have the 30" Berta and I like it so much that sometimes I feel like hugging it. I'm so glad I looked at all the ranges and didn't listen to the naysayers. It's just what I wanted--no bells and whistles to break down. Continue to enjoy yours!

o

Thanks for your pics Washit and Soonermagic! I'm so glad to find this thread. I abandoned the idea of remodeling my shore kitchen last year when I couldn't find a range/cooktop option that I was happy with. The common ranges are so ugly and the "high end" models are too bulky for a smaller kitchen. The Berta will be just right. I read that the 30" will be available in cream by June 2007. Can someone let me know how the painted finish holds up?

Some of the earlier posts people expressed that they couldn't get the range adjusted low enough to be flush with the countertop. Is this a common problem? In two of the pictures posted there seemed to be a flush finish.

All of the postings are very helpful. Thank you.

o

I meant to say that I read more colors will be available in the 30" range by June 2008.

o

Does the fan run on the oven the entire time it is on? The Monogram built in oven I have makes a fan noise even when I'm not using the convection feature.

o

Yes, the fan runs the entire time the oven is on.

o

Does anyone have the berta in the cream color? It appears to be darker than what we know as appliance "bisque". I would love to see a picture if you have it.

o

To answer some of the questions, my Berta is absolutely flush in height with the countertops. There was no issue in that regard at all.

I understand that the paint is done by Ferarri and is actually car paint, so it should hold up well. I think Trevor at Eurostoves told me that. My Berta has been in constant use for two months now, and no nicks at all in the paint.

The fan does run the entire time the oven is on, but I have not found that I'm particularly annoyed by it. I usually have the exhaust fan on anyway when I'm using Berta, so the noises cancel each other out.

I don't know anything about any of the colors except the white that I have and the wine color that I was not brave enough to order sight unseen. It's now on the showroom floor here and it's gorgeous. I might have gone with it had I seen it before ordering, though I am pleased with the white.

o

we finally moved into our remodeled home and have been using the bert 36" for about a couple of months. love it.

I have one question, i baked the turkey for thanksgiving and the oven is now splattered from the turkey.

any suggestion on best way to clean the oven? can i use an oven cleaner? please help.
thanks

o

kairous - did you reference the manual? Also, try these below - see link - response to your previous thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning

o

Does anyone know what size of range hood is needed? The Bertazzoni one is 600cfm, I was wondering if a 300cfm hood would be sufficient?

o

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen. 4 weeks into it with about 4 to go. I purchased the 48" Bert with the backsplash and the stainless hood. (brother sells them so i got a killer deal!) Needless to say, I am excited. I also purchased a Bosch DW, Kennmore Elite fridge with the freezer on the bottom and we opted to put in a Rinnai Tankless hot water heater. I have converted my attached garage into a kitchen and opened the wall between the old kitchen and living room to make one huge room. We also removed the wall between the existing living room and kitchen and the garage. Basically we will end up with half of our home open with the kitchen, office and living room all together.

Anyway, since we don't have a Bert dealer anywhere near my home, I'm installing myself. Does anyone have experience with handling the installation?

o

I just had my 30" Bertazzoni installed,. Once they carted away my old electric stove and installed the Berta, I realized the wall behind the electric stove (higher than the Berta) was not painted the same color as the rest of the kitchen! I'm considering putting a sheet of stainless up (30') to cover it, maybe quilted. (paint will never match as kitchen was painted 10 years ago and I'm not ready to repaint). However, I'm afraid the SS will not look good and make the stove look too vertical, like it's attached to my recirculator, also stainless. Any one have experience with this, or pictures?

o

I'm so excited to have found this thread. I'm FINALLY replacing a Garland commercial range I inherited when we bought this house -- a monster. Didn't want to spend $5000+ for Viking or Wolf.

I'm looking seriously at the Bertazzoni 36" model; am curious to know if those of you who were just getting started with it a few months ago are still happy. I had read that the oven couldnt be set below 275...a problem for some of my meringue recipes. Anyone had any experience with that?

Also...I thought the oven interior looked small for the size of the range. 3.6 cu ft as opposed to almost 5 for the Viking. Has anyone cooked a 15lb turkey AND side dishes for Thanksgiving or Xmas? I'm too embarrassed to take all my roasting pans to the appliance store ;-)

Thanks for all your great posts ... really helpful. And yes, it sure does look beauuuutiful!

o

Anzac, did you ever find out about the oven low setting? I too am very interested in the 36" but am hesitant if there is nothing below 275. the height of the oven is also a concern...24lb bird at our thanksgiving. any input would be most appreciated!

o

jwnmkm....I didn't receive any follow-up to my post. I think this thread is a little old! I saw your other post with some interesting feedback. Would love to hear about your final decision.

o

Hi Anzac, I went back the store and the red is sooo beautiful but they called Bertazzoni for me and it really does not go down below 275. These are my thoughts if it is at all helpful. I use the oven to keep things warm while finishing sauces etc. I also make a german cookie which requires 200 setting, warming plates at 180 etc. While I would love a warming drawer as suggested in the other thread, there simply is no room in my 8'4" wide (wall to wall!) by 10ft. kitchen. So I would have to give up more cabinet space with the warming drawer and I would have to place the micro some where else as well due to need a vent hood. So it was a 3 strikes against the beauty and SIX burners. Finally I also measured from the bottom of the last setting for the racks to touching the broiler and it was about 11 1/2". So then I measured the height of my roasting pan with its insert in it and a very large 24lb bird. Not enough height for me. So it looks like the bertazzoni is just not suitable for how I use the oven. Now am looking at regular gas 30" Bosch hes7282U Pro-style. It has by far the tallest interior dimension I have seen on a 30" and an american range 30" which I can get on a deal--no more 6 burner dreams. Hope that helps!

o

Thanks for your feedback, jwnmkm. Seems like the Bertazzoni is not right for you. I agree that a low oven setting is really useful -- esp for heating plates (I hate hot food served on cold plates!) I have a different problem in that I need a 36" range to fill the space I have. So, good luck with your purchase. I hope it all works out for you.

o

Just checking in to see if all you Berta owners are still loving it?

The 30" SS model is in the top spot so far in my range choices.

o

I bought the 36" stainless steel Berta and am very happy with it. Apart from everything else, it looks gorgeous. :) There was a glitch when it was first installed -- it kept heating to 475 and wouldn't hold a lower temperature. It turns out that if you use liquid propane a special adjustment has to be made behind the oven knob. It requires a special long very narrow screw driver, so make sure that gets done if you're on LP.

My installer also recommended I get a mercury-style oven thermometer to check the temperature accurately -- he said the dial-type thermometers are hopelessly inaccurate. So I'm waiting for the Taylor thermometer I ordered from Amazon. In the meantime, the muffins and brownies I baked on the weekend came out just fine.

Under normal circumstances I would have been cooking up a storm by now, but we've spent just about every evening since my Berta arrived visiting my parents-in-law who've been hospitalized after a car accident. Sorry that's TMI -- just felt the need to justify why I haven't used my new pride and joy more!

Good luck with your purchase. I must say I found all the posts on GardenWeb enormously helpful in making my decision.

o

Thanks for the feedback anzac. I'll be on LP as well, so I'll make sure the installers know that. I already have the Taylor oven thermometer, so I'm good there.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the range! And best wishes for your in-laws.

Thanks....

o

Hi,

I posted a separate thread about simmering with a Bertazzoni but I thought that I could get extra feedback posting on a Berta thread
The minimum the Bertazzoni is supposed to simmer at is 750 BTU/h.
I would like to get a picture of what the simmering possibilities of such a gas range are.
My main concern is duck confit : it has to simmer for an hour or two on very low heat (the duck fat shoudnt really boil but just shiver .

Would it be possible on a 30 inches 4 burner LP Bertazzoni, from what youve experienced with yours, so far?

Many thanks. Im not sure I would buy a 3800$ gas range (Id like the red one) if I not able to cook duck confit (one of my favorite dishes) on it.

o

I don't have a Berta yet(and if I do buy one, I won't get it until October or so)...but, I think you'd be able to simmer just fine on it. If you do find that it's too high, couldn't you use a diffuser of some sort?

The red is really, really, really great looking! Our dealer has one, and I just love it! My budget won't allow for a color though...and I wouldn't want to hide the sides of it either!

o
Installing a 48' Berta?

"fly_girl",

I take it you got your 48" Bertazzoni installed all those months ago? I bought one for our new home and am getting close to installing it (wood floor still needs to go in ahead of it) but I have a quandary.

The 600-plus pound baby is sitting on a wooden pallet that covers the leg-mounting holes (the legs are in a box, shipped loose with all the other gadgets and geegaws). How did your installer mount the legs, and move this Gargantua into its place between the cabinets?

I can get an appliance dolly, but the particular configuration of the bottom of the Berta 48" does not appear to give me the 'hard points' I need to rest all that weight on while repositioning the unit.

Care to send me your installer's name and number so I can pick his brain?

Thanks.

David

o

My 30 in is quite a bit smaller than your 48", but putting on the legs was very easy on mine. I'm 5'5" 109 pounds, the installer was small side of average male. We tilted it toward me, I held it while he put on two legs, lowered it and changed places and repeated. It slides easily on it's legs (on my granite floor). I hope your installation is as easy as mine was...might need two men as opposed to the one male, one small female we had.

o

small sparrow

I am considering the berta but have never had a gas oven and have been made nervous about them here on gw. Any baking problems?

Would also love to see pics of installed ranges!

Jay

o

I'm bumping this to see if there's anyone else who can chime in about how their Berta cooks . . . because I love how it looks!

o

Evilbunnie:
I've only been cooking on and in my Berta for a couple of weeks. I like it very much. I made a pear tart and I was pleasantly surprised by how evenly the tart baked. There is really no problem lighting the burners, the oven, or the broiler. As for the burners--I've never had a stove with burners of such different BTUs, so I don't yet have an intuitive feel for what pot should go on which burner. No doubt that will come with time. I also was surprised at an incredibly low simmer that I was able to get the other day cooking a pot of chickpeas. All in all, I would recommend the Berta. I smile every time I look at it. It is one of my favorite parts of my new kitchen.

o

Thank you so much Anne! So glad to hear about the evenness of the oven and the low simmer. I look forward to having the Berta be one of my favorite things, too!

o

Hi all.
I'm looking to install a 36" Berta in my island. It's important to me, if possible, for the top of the range to line up with the countertop on all sides, including the rear. I know Bertazzoni's island riser is 2". Does this mean the back of the range will be 2" higher than my countertop?
Does anyone have any experience with a Berta freestanding in an island?
Also, since 36" slide-ins aren't available, does anyone know of an overlap trim that goes around the top of the range, essentially eliminating the gap?
Thanks for your time in advance.

BEARBOT!

o

I'm so happy to have found this forum...Maybe instead of disappointment I have a bad installation job. I've been cooking on my 36" stainless steel gas Berta and I find that the burners are almost always to high. Even low is most often not low enough and I have to turn the burners almost off to get to low. When I turn on my oven ..It takes about a mental count of 20 before I can let go of the dial and if i close the door to soon (less then 3-4 min.) it very likely will turn off. Also the heat coming out the front is almost unbearable and my oven doesn't go on in the summer and it's very hot and uncomfortable to cook at the burner at the same time. The oven seem to run about 75-100 degrees higher and i have already had it serviced twice. At this point I'm considering e-bay or the highest bidder.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to keep this really great looking range.
PS: Any tips on cleaning the oven...? Thanks!

o

I just joined GardenWeb so I could add my 2 to this thread. I got a 24" Berta for Christmas last year (I have a typical tiny NYC apartment; my dishwasher is only 18" wide, for example) and absolutely love it. Especially the cooktop. I could probably cook everything with just those two front burners (on mine that's the double-burner on the left and the medium BTU on the right) alone. And I don't have any problems with lighting the oven, though I worry that holding the starter for what seems like a longer time than other ovens it might wear out sooner? I suppose not, if it's made to operate like that.

My one question seems to be with calibration. I've finally ordered a good Taylor Connoisseur oven thermometer, since my faith in the cheapo "TruTemp" wasn't too high. But even based on that cheapo thermometer and my own cooking times, it seems like it takes my oven too long to preheat and even then, it seems to run 50 cooler than the (albeit approximate) dial setting shows it should be. (Example: I can wait 30 minutes to preheat to 350 and even then it won't reach that unless I crank the dial up to 425 and then lower it a bit when it goes up past my desired 350.)

I'll know better once I get the better thermometer, but is this a normal problem? Does it likely need to be calibrated and, if so (and yes, I'll call someone to do that), is that an onerous process? Do they have to pull the oven out to get to the back of it? And, for that matter, how long do you usually find it takes to preheat your Berta to, say, 350?

For now, it's not too big a problem -- I figure I can generate the equivalent of another 25 or so by turning on the convection feature, and if I don't, I just cook things a bit longer and/or turn the heat up. But I'd still like to be able to preheat the oven to a temperature, put something in, and then take it out when the recipe tells me to!

(Option C, as I mentioned, is to preheat the oven PAST the desired temperature, then lower it back down once it's reached or exceeded the temperature I want, but again, preheating the oven seems to take longer than I think it should. Maybe I'm just impatient?)

Bottom line: I've yet to overcook anything in the oven! Now, on that high-heat double-burner, that's a different story...

o

We are just starting to look at appliances for a new kitchen and I've fallen for the 36" Berta in Red. I've read about "lighting" the oven in the posts above. Is this something other than just turning the dial? I understand you have to keep the door open to get the oven to function but is there something else involved? Also, has anyone paired this with the Jenn-Air floating glass series of appliances? The Berta I saw was across from the JA floating glass fridge in black and they might look very sharp together.

Thank you!

o

It has been a while since the last postings on Bertazzoni
Is everyone happy with the purchase and performance of this range?

o

I am renovating my kitchen and like many others have fallen in love with the Bertazzoni. I haven't decided between the 30" or the 36", but so many of the comments I find online are from people who commented just after installing the range. Many of these comments are from 2007, and I am wondering how Berta holds up in the long run and whether the service in the years after installation continues to be good. So I would love to hear from Berta owners who have had these babies for several years and whether they are still happy. Clearly, the range is gorgeous and at the price, difficult to resist, but I am looking for a range that does not require frequent repairs and continues to work well over the years. So if your Bertas are still making you happy several years later, please, please let me know.

o

Also looking for responses from long time owners.

o

I am also interested in hearing from long-term Berta users as we just ordered a 36" dual-fuel (6 burner) model.

o

I'm new to using my 4 burner Berta. I love all the burners but am struggling with the oven. My food is burning on the bottom but not done on the top. ie. frozen pizza. I've lowered the temperature and lessened the time. Any suggestions with this and other frozen appetizers?

o
I love my Berta

My new Heritage Berta has been up and running in my newly remodeled kitchen for about 6 weeks. It is so pretty, and I just love it! I never was too bothered by the burners, but I can see how someone might think they are a little high maintenance. The oven heated up without any problems. It does sit a little higher than the counters but it doesn't bother me. Since I had the room, I also purchased a single electric wall oven (GE Monogram, which I am also very happy with thus far). I love having both gas and electric in my kitchen. I want to post some pictures, but can't figure it out. Can anyone briefly explain.

o

Cookinmama: check out the Gardenweb "test" forum, which I used to figure out how to post photos. Also look at the FAQ.

First thing, you have to post your photos to a site like Photobucket.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/test/

o

I just saw the black Bertazonni 120cm range and fell in love with it too! The one I saw was a duel fuel from the Masters Series with 5 burners & two ovens. Sadly, the Professional Range has to be specially imported and will take waaay too long to arrive.

I've not heard much of this brand as it's new in Malaysia. From the info I've gathered online, there are quite a few positive comments about the brand but I suspect most of them are referring to the Professional Series which is double the price of the Masters here. Apart from the knobs, does anyone know what the difference is? Oven performance, stove, quality perhaps?

ps - i've searched high & low here for Rococogrl's comments (as advised on other threads) on Bertazzoni but links to Thread #1 & #2 are missing :( so would really appreciate it if someone could share more on Bertazonni. It's my first kitchen and am going mad trying to decide on which stove/oven to get!

o

*correction - 90cm !

o

Hi All

I saw a Bertazzoni last week and it is lovely. Please advise me on whether it is good to cook on. I dont have time to read all the posts. All 50 pages or so. Gees. I just want marks out of 10 with a short pros and cons comment.

Thanking you in advance.

Dippy

o

This might be one of the threads referred to as Rococo's Berta thread ... I've wondered about those too. Probabaly they're not called 'Bertazzoni Thread #2/1' Dunno.

o

Seeshell : Did you figure out anything with the oven ? We are having the same problem of food burning on the bottom but not being done on the top. Noticed especially when baking cheesecake, bread etc.

Anyone else seen this and found a solution ?

o

Mat1234: try adjusting the brass screw that is located just above the gas valve regulator. Screw it in to reduce the gas pressure. Too much pressure is causing the flames to shoot out from below the oven floor. When you make the adjustment you will need to remove the bottom of the oven to see the size of the flame as you make the turns. You will notice that all of the flames on the burner tube will change in size. They need to extend from the burner tube up to a nice gold flame. When you goo too far the flame will not touch the burner tube. Some call that a lifting flame.

Best of luck.

o

ash2011 : thanks for the tip. Will reducing the pressure with that brass screw also change the pressure on the top burners ? I am reluctant to take out the bottom of the oven as I'm one of those people that seems to make easy tasks turn out difficult !! If I can adjust it using the top burners that would be my preference. Running the oven on high last night the flame was coming out of the hole/slot on the left side of the oven floor. The top burners are a nice blue color but they all make a strong 'roaring' noise on high, especially the dual burner with both large & small burners turned on. Does this seem normal ? How do I know when the gas pressure / flame strength is as it should be ?

Thanks again....

o

I have recently purchased the 5 burner dual fuel 36" Bertazonni and have read many threads about the amount of CFM for hoods and still have a question. Salesperson stated the Vent A Hood Magic Lung that is 21" deep and 36" width with 300 CFM (equivalent 450 CFM) is enough. This vent would require a 6" duct; distance to outside is 7 feet. Is this vent the right size? I certainly don't want to spend more money if it isn't needed.

o

suemp53: I have a 36 berta and have a 42 inch hood above it which has a great range of capture. I wouldn't have thought about going bigger but my contractor suggested that the extra capture would be good for smoke/high heat cooking. I have 650 CFM and find it to be more than ample in pulling smoke and what not out of the room. It really depends on the cooking you're doing but 300 would probably be near the bottom of CFM I would suggest.

o

Thanks Jgopp. I wondered why the salesperson didn't push/recommend a vent with a higher CFM. I even questioned the number of CFMs but the response was you will be fine with the 300 CFM. I just don't want to be sorry after it's installed.

o

Suemp53,
I've got a 6-burner 36" Berta with the 300(450)CFM Vent-a Hood. Most of my cooking tends to be stovetop and this setup has handled if just fine.

As has been suggested, (maybe owner's manual maybe GW?) I fire it up a few minutes before I really need it to get the air flowing. It has nice bright halogen lights so you can see all of the steam and fine oil vapors being sucked up out of the room. I had a worthless hood for 5 years, and this one is wonderful!!

I do stirfry, but not the super high-heat flaming WHOOSH kind. This hood is perfectly fine for an average home cooking enthusiast like me.

o

Shanghaimom: Thanks for the feedback and I will follow the suggestion to turn it on before cooking. I feel like I can finally relax and look forward to the delivery.

o

4/04/2014
I've never posted here and I'm not sure if these are appropriate questions for this thread, but here goes:
Does anyone know if the 30" gas Master Series is currently available in white?
Also, this will be my first all stainless steel range and I have been warned about how hard it is to keep clean. Is this true and what do experienced owners use to make this job easiest. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here