Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

Bertazzoni Thread #3

judithn
17 years ago

The old thread has reached the limit, so here's a new one. The contractors hooked up my stove last night. I've only played around with it and boiled water for tea this morning (yay! after 7 weeks w/o a kitchen, I'm thrilled!).

First, I love the dual burner. It seems very powerful. I checked out the other burners, they work nicely too. I was aware of some people's discomfort with the way the knobs work, and I understand exactly what anyone who doesn't like the operation doesn't like. It does take some getting used to. You sort of have to press the knob in, turn it slowly until the gas gets going, then find the flame power you want and let the pressure off of the knob slowly. Okay? I hope that makes sense.

I'll have to see how I feel about this after I've really worked with the unit. I am not bothered though because it's exactly like my sister in law's stove in Amsterdam. It makes sense, since the Berta is a European product, that it works just like the Siemens or the Smeg stoves. I'm sure everyone in the house here will adapt to it too.

I don't know when I'll try the oven out since we don't have granite yet, which means no running water. The biggest pain with the kitchen remodel hasn't been the lack of a stove, it's been the lack of a clean up sink.

Comments (152)

• plumorchard
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, the fan runs the entire time the oven is on.

• ttimegrl
    16 years ago

Does anyone have the berta in the cream color? It appears to be darker than what we know as appliance "bisque". I would love to see a picture if you have it.

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

To answer some of the questions, my Berta is absolutely flush in height with the countertops. There was no issue in that regard at all.

I understand that the paint is done by Ferarri and is actually car paint, so it should hold up well. I think Trevor at Eurostoves told me that. My Berta has been in constant use for two months now, and no nicks at all in the paint.

The fan does run the entire time the oven is on, but I have not found that I'm particularly annoyed by it. I usually have the exhaust fan on anyway when I'm using Berta, so the noises cancel each other out.

I don't know anything about any of the colors except the white that I have and the wine color that I was not brave enough to order sight unseen. It's now on the showroom floor here and it's gorgeous. I might have gone with it had I seen it before ordering, though I am pleased with the white.

• kairous1
    16 years ago

we finally moved into our remodeled home and have been using the bert 36" for about a couple of months. love it.

I have one question, i baked the turkey for thanksgiving and the oven is now splattered from the turkey.

any suggestion on best way to clean the oven? can i use an oven cleaner? please help.
    thanks

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

kairous - did you reference the manual? Also, try these below - see link - response to your previous thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning

• cyrus69
    16 years ago

Does anyone know what size of range hood is needed? The Bertazzoni one is 600cfm, I was wondering if a 300cfm hood would be sufficient?

• fly_girl
    16 years ago

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen. 4 weeks into it with about 4 to go. I purchased the 48" Bert with the backsplash and the stainless hood. (brother sells them so i got a killer deal!) Needless to say, I am excited. I also purchased a Bosch DW, Kennmore Elite fridge with the freezer on the bottom and we opted to put in a Rinnai Tankless hot water heater. I have converted my attached garage into a kitchen and opened the wall between the old kitchen and living room to make one huge room. We also removed the wall between the existing living room and kitchen and the garage. Basically we will end up with half of our home open with the kitchen, office and living room all together.

Anyway, since we don't have a Bert dealer anywhere near my home, I'm installing myself. Does anyone have experience with handling the installation?

• clyde10
    16 years ago

I just had my 30" Bertazzoni installed,. Once they carted away my old electric stove and installed the Berta, I realized the wall behind the electric stove (higher than the Berta) was not painted the same color as the rest of the kitchen! I'm considering putting a sheet of stainless up (30') to cover it, maybe quilted. (paint will never match as kitchen was painted 10 years ago and I'm not ready to repaint). However, I'm afraid the SS will not look good and make the stove look too vertical, like it's attached to my recirculator, also stainless. Any one have experience with this, or pictures?

• anzac
    16 years ago

I'm so excited to have found this thread. I'm FINALLY replacing a Garland commercial range I inherited when we bought this house -- a monster. Didn't want to spend $5000+ for Viking or Wolf.

I'm looking seriously at the Bertazzoni 36" model; am curious to know if those of you who were just getting started with it a few months ago are still happy. I had read that the oven couldnt be set below 275...a problem for some of my meringue recipes. Anyone had any experience with that?

Also...I thought the oven interior looked small for the size of the range. 3.6 cu ft as opposed to almost 5 for the Viking. Has anyone cooked a 15lb turkey AND side dishes for Thanksgiving or Xmas? I'm too embarrassed to take all my roasting pans to the appliance store ;-)

Thanks for all your great posts ... really helpful. And yes, it sure does look beauuuutiful!

• jwnmkm
    16 years ago

Anzac, did you ever find out about the oven low setting? I too am very interested in the 36" but am hesitant if there is nothing below 275. the height of the oven is also a concern...24lb bird at our thanksgiving. any input would be most appreciated!

• anzac
    16 years ago

jwnmkm....I didn't receive any follow-up to my post. I think this thread is a little old! I saw your other post with some interesting feedback. Would love to hear about your final decision.

• jwnmkm
    16 years ago

Hi Anzac, I went back the store and the red is sooo beautiful but they called Bertazzoni for me and it really does not go down below 275. These are my thoughts if it is at all helpful. I use the oven to keep things warm while finishing sauces etc. I also make a german cookie which requires 200 setting, warming plates at 180 etc. While I would love a warming drawer as suggested in the other thread, there simply is no room in my 8'4" wide (wall to wall!) by 10ft. kitchen. So I would have to give up more cabinet space with the warming drawer and I would have to place the micro some where else as well due to need a vent hood. So it was a 3 strikes against the beauty and SIX burners. Finally I also measured from the bottom of the last setting for the racks to touching the broiler and it was about 11 1/2". So then I measured the height of my roasting pan with its insert in it and a very large 24lb bird. Not enough height for me. So it looks like the bertazzoni is just not suitable for how I use the oven. Now am looking at regular gas 30" Bosch hes7282U Pro-style. It has by far the tallest interior dimension I have seen on a 30" and an american range 30" which I can get on a deal--no more 6 burner dreams. Hope that helps!

• anzac
    16 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, jwnmkm. Seems like the Bertazzoni is not right for you. I agree that a low oven setting is really useful -- esp for heating plates (I hate hot food served on cold plates!) I have a different problem in that I need a 36" range to fill the space I have. So, good luck with your purchase. I hope it all works out for you.

• qhound
    15 years ago

Just checking in to see if all you Berta owners are still loving it?

The 30" SS model is in the top spot so far in my range choices.

• anzac
    15 years ago

I bought the 36" stainless steel Berta and am very happy with it. Apart from everything else, it looks gorgeous. :) There was a glitch when it was first installed -- it kept heating to 475 and wouldn't hold a lower temperature. It turns out that if you use liquid propane a special adjustment has to be made behind the oven knob. It requires a special long very narrow screw driver, so make sure that gets done if you're on LP.

My installer also recommended I get a mercury-style oven thermometer to check the temperature accurately -- he said the dial-type thermometers are hopelessly inaccurate. So I'm waiting for the Taylor thermometer I ordered from Amazon. In the meantime, the muffins and brownies I baked on the weekend came out just fine.

Under normal circumstances I would have been cooking up a storm by now, but we've spent just about every evening since my Berta arrived visiting my parents-in-law who've been hospitalized after a car accident. Sorry that's TMI -- just felt the need to justify why I haven't used my new pride and joy more!

Good luck with your purchase. I must say I found all the posts on GardenWeb enormously helpful in making my decision.

• qhound
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback anzac. I'll be on LP as well, so I'll make sure the installers know that. I already have the Taylor oven thermometer, so I'm good there.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the range! And best wishes for your in-laws.

Thanks....

• bobetpine
    15 years ago

Hi,

I posted a separate thread about simmering with a Bertazzoni but I thought that I could get extra feedback posting on a Berta thread
    The minimum the Bertazzoni is supposed to simmer at is 750 BTU/h.
    I would like to get a picture of what the simmering possibilities of such a gas range are.
    My main concern is duck confit : it has to simmer for an hour or two on very low heat (the duck fat shoudnÂt really boil but just « shiver ».

Would it be possible on a 30 inches 4 burner LP Bertazzoni, from what youÂve experienced with yours, so far?

Many thanks. IÂm not sure I would buy a 3800$ gas range (IÂd like the red one) if I not able to cook duck confit (one of my favorite dishes) on it.

• qhound
    15 years ago

I don't have a Berta yet(and if I do buy one, I won't get it until October or so)...but, I think you'd be able to simmer just fine on it. If you do find that it's too high, couldn't you use a diffuser of some sort?

The red is really, really, really great looking! Our dealer has one, and I just love it! My budget won't allow for a color though...and I wouldn't want to hide the sides of it either!

• dmzuniga
    15 years ago

"fly_girl",

I take it you got your 48" Bertazzoni installed all those months ago? I bought one for our new home and am getting close to installing it (wood floor still needs to go in ahead of it) but I have a quandary.

The 600-plus pound baby is sitting on a wooden pallet that covers the leg-mounting holes (the legs are in a box, shipped loose with all the other gadgets and geegaws). How did your installer mount the legs, and move this Gargantua into its place between the cabinets?

I can get an appliance dolly, but the particular configuration of the bottom of the Berta 48" does not appear to give me the 'hard points' I need to rest all that weight on while repositioning the unit.

Care to send me your installer's name and number so I can pick his brain?

Thanks.

David

• small_sparrow
    15 years ago

My 30 in is quite a bit smaller than your 48", but putting on the legs was very easy on mine. I'm 5'5" 109 pounds, the installer was small side of average male. We tilted it toward me, I held it while he put on two legs, lowered it and changed places and repeated. It slides easily on it's legs (on my granite floor). I hope your installation is as easy as mine was...might need two men as opposed to the one male, one small female we had.

• clarkebar
    15 years ago

small sparrow

I am considering the berta but have never had a gas oven and have been made nervous about them here on gw. Any baking problems?

Would also love to see pics of installed ranges!

Jay

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

I'm bumping this to see if there's anyone else who can chime in about how their Berta cooks . . . because I love how it looks!

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Evilbunnie:
    I've only been cooking on and in my Berta for a couple of weeks. I like it very much. I made a pear tart and I was pleasantly surprised by how evenly the tart baked. There is really no problem lighting the burners, the oven, or the broiler. As for the burners--I've never had a stove with burners of such different BTUs, so I don't yet have an intuitive feel for what pot should go on which burner. No doubt that will come with time. I also was surprised at an incredibly low simmer that I was able to get the other day cooking a pot of chickpeas. All in all, I would recommend the Berta. I smile every time I look at it. It is one of my favorite parts of my new kitchen.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Thank you so much Anne! So glad to hear about the evenness of the oven and the low simmer. I look forward to having the Berta be one of my favorite things, too!

• bearbot
    15 years ago

Hi all.
    I'm looking to install a 36" Berta in my island. It's important to me, if possible, for the top of the range to line up with the countertop on all sides, including the rear. I know Bertazzoni's island riser is 2". Does this mean the back of the range will be 2" higher than my countertop?
    Does anyone have any experience with a Berta freestanding in an island?
    Also, since 36" slide-ins aren't available, does anyone know of an overlap trim that goes around the top of the range, essentially eliminating the gap?
    Thanks for your time in advance.

BEARBOT!

• ditte
    15 years ago

I'm so happy to have found this forum...Maybe instead of disappointment I have a bad installation job. I've been cooking on my 36" stainless steel gas Berta and I find that the burners are almost always to high. Even low is most often not low enough and I have to turn the burners almost off to get to low. When I turn on my oven ..It takes about a mental count of 20 before I can let go of the dial and if i close the door to soon (less then 3-4 min.) it very likely will turn off. Also the heat coming out the front is almost unbearable and my oven doesn't go on in the summer and it's very hot and uncomfortable to cook at the burner at the same time. The oven seem to run about 75-100 degrees higher and i have already had it serviced twice. At this point I'm considering e-bay or the highest bidder.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to keep this really great looking range.
    PS: Any tips on cleaning the oven...? Thanks!

• dabnyc
    15 years ago

I just joined GardenWeb so I could add my 2¢ to this thread. I got a 24" Berta for Christmas last year (I have a typical tiny NYC apartment; my dishwasher is only 18" wide, for example) and absolutely love it. Especially the cooktop. I could probably cook everything with just those two front burners (on mine that's the double-burner on the left and the medium BTU on the right) alone. And I don't have any problems with lighting the oven, though I worry that holding the starter for what seems like a longer time than other ovens it might wear out sooner? I suppose not, if it's made to operate like that.

My one question seems to be with calibration. I've finally ordered a good Taylor Connoisseur oven thermometer, since my faith in the cheapo "TruTemp" wasn't too high. But even based on that cheapo thermometer and my own cooking times, it seems like it takes my oven too long to preheat and even then, it seems to run 50° cooler than the (albeit approximate) dial setting shows it should be. (Example: I can wait 30 minutes to preheat to 350° and even then it won't reach that unless I crank the dial up to 425° and then lower it a bit when it goes up past my desired 350°.)

I'll know better once I get the better thermometer, but is this a normal problem? Does it likely need to be calibrated and, if so (and yes, I'll call someone to do that), is that an onerous process? Do they have to pull the oven out to get to the back of it? And, for that matter, how long do you usually find it takes to preheat your Berta to, say, 350°?

For now, it's not too big a problem -- I figure I can generate the equivalent of another 25° or so by turning on the convection feature, and if I don't, I just cook things a bit longer and/or turn the heat up. But I'd still like to be able to preheat the oven to a temperature, put something in, and then take it out when the recipe tells me to!

(Option C, as I mentioned, is to preheat the oven PAST the desired temperature, then lower it back down once it's reached or exceeded the temperature I want, but again, preheating the oven seems to take longer than I think it should. Maybe I'm just impatient?)

Bottom line: I've yet to overcook anything in the oven! Now, on that high-heat double-burner, that's a different story...

• jen_hotmop_com
    15 years ago

We are just starting to look at appliances for a new kitchen and I've fallen for the 36" Berta in Red. I've read about "lighting" the oven in the posts above. Is this something other than just turning the dial? I understand you have to keep the door open to get the oven to function but is there something else involved? Also, has anyone paired this with the Jenn-Air floating glass series of appliances? The Berta I saw was across from the JA floating glass fridge in black and they might look very sharp together.

Thank you!

• vierka
    15 years ago

It has been a while since the last postings on Bertazzoni
    Is everyone happy with the purchase and performance of this range?

• channah
    13 years ago

I am renovating my kitchen and like many others have fallen in love with the Bertazzoni. I haven't decided between the 30" or the 36", but so many of the comments I find online are from people who commented just after installing the range. Many of these comments are from 2007, and I am wondering how Berta holds up in the long run and whether the service in the years after installation continues to be good. So I would love to hear from Berta owners who have had these babies for several years and whether they are still happy. Clearly, the range is gorgeous and at the price, difficult to resist, but I am looking for a range that does not require frequent repairs and continues to work well over the years. So if your Bertas are still making you happy several years later, please, please let me know.

• elaineycabaney
    13 years ago

Also looking for responses from long time owners.

• bltkmt
    13 years ago

I am also interested in hearing from long-term Berta users as we just ordered a 36" dual-fuel (6 burner) model.

• sgs823_sympatico_ca
    13 years ago

I'm new to using my 4 burner Berta. I love all the burners but am struggling with the oven. My food is burning on the bottom but not done on the top. ie. frozen pizza. I've lowered the temperature and lessened the time. Any suggestions with this and other frozen appetizers?

• cookinmama
    12 years ago

My new Heritage Berta has been up and running in my newly remodeled kitchen for about 6 weeks. It is so pretty, and I just love it! I never was too bothered by the burners, but I can see how someone might think they are a little high maintenance. The oven heated up without any problems. It does sit a little higher than the counters but it doesn't bother me. Since I had the room, I also purchased a single electric wall oven (GE Monogram, which I am also very happy with thus far). I love having both gas and electric in my kitchen. I want to post some pictures, but can't figure it out. Can anyone briefly explain.

• segesta
    12 years ago

Cookinmama: check out the Gardenweb "test" forum, which I used to figure out how to post photos. Also look at the FAQ.

First thing, you have to post your photos to a site like Photobucket.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/test/

• izreen_mac_com
    12 years ago

I just saw the black Bertazonni 120cm range and fell in love with it too! The one I saw was a duel fuel from the Masters Series with 5 burners & two ovens. Sadly, the Professional Range has to be specially imported and will take waaay too long to arrive.

I've not heard much of this brand as it's new in Malaysia. From the info I've gathered online, there are quite a few positive comments about the brand but I suspect most of them are referring to the Professional Series which is double the price of the Masters here. Apart from the knobs, does anyone know what the difference is? Oven performance, stove, quality perhaps?

ps - i've searched high & low here for Rococogrl's comments (as advised on other threads) on Bertazzoni but links to Thread #1 & #2 are missing :( so would really appreciate it if someone could share more on Bertazonni. It's my first kitchen and am going mad trying to decide on which stove/oven to get!

• izreen
    12 years ago

*correction - 90cm !

• Diplodicus
    12 years ago

Hi All

I saw a Bertazzoni last week and it is lovely. Please advise me on whether it is good to cook on. I dont have time to read all the posts. All 50 pages or so. Gees. I just want marks out of 10 with a short pros and cons comment.

Thanking you in advance.

Dippy

• aliris19
    12 years ago

This might be one of the threads referred to as Rococo's Berta thread ... I've wondered about those too. Probabaly they're not called 'Bertazzoni Thread #2/1' Dunno.

• MAT1234
    12 years ago

Seeshell : Did you figure out anything with the oven ? We are having the same problem of food burning on the bottom but not being done on the top. Noticed especially when baking cheesecake, bread etc.

Anyone else seen this and found a solution ?

• ash2011
    12 years ago

Mat1234: try adjusting the brass screw that is located just above the gas valve regulator. Screw it in to reduce the gas pressure. Too much pressure is causing the flames to shoot out from below the oven floor. When you make the adjustment you will need to remove the bottom of the oven to see the size of the flame as you make the turns. You will notice that all of the flames on the burner tube will change in size. They need to extend from the burner tube up to a nice gold flame. When you goo too far the flame will not touch the burner tube. Some call that a lifting flame.

Best of luck.

• MAT1234
    12 years ago

ash2011 : thanks for the tip. Will reducing the pressure with that brass screw also change the pressure on the top burners ? I am reluctant to take out the bottom of the oven as I'm one of those people that seems to make easy tasks turn out difficult !! If I can adjust it using the top burners that would be my preference. Running the oven on high last night the flame was coming out of the hole/slot on the left side of the oven floor. The top burners are a nice blue color but they all make a strong 'roaring' noise on high, especially the dual burner with both large & small burners turned on. Does this seem normal ? How do I know when the gas pressure / flame strength is as it should be ?

Thanks again....

• suemp53
    12 years ago

I have recently purchased the 5 burner dual fuel 36" Bertazonni and have read many threads about the amount of CFM for hoods and still have a question. Salesperson stated the Vent A Hood Magic Lung that is 21" deep and 36" width with 300 CFM (equivalent 450 CFM) is enough. This vent would require a 6" duct; distance to outside is 7 feet. Is this vent the right size? I certainly don't want to spend more money if it isn't needed.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

suemp53: I have a 36 berta and have a 42 inch hood above it which has a great range of capture. I wouldn't have thought about going bigger but my contractor suggested that the extra capture would be good for smoke/high heat cooking. I have 650 CFM and find it to be more than ample in pulling smoke and what not out of the room. It really depends on the cooking you're doing but 300 would probably be near the bottom of CFM I would suggest.

• suemp53
    12 years ago

Thanks Jgopp. I wondered why the salesperson didn't push/recommend a vent with a higher CFM. I even questioned the number of CFMs but the response was you will be fine with the 300 CFM. I just don't want to be sorry after it's installed.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Suemp53,
    I've got a 6-burner 36" Berta with the 300(450)CFM Vent-a Hood. Most of my cooking tends to be stovetop and this setup has handled if just fine.

As has been suggested, (maybe owner's manual maybe GW?) I fire it up a few minutes before I really need it to get the air flowing. It has nice bright halogen lights so you can see all of the steam and fine oil vapors being sucked up out of the room. I had a worthless hood for 5 years, and this one is wonderful!!

I do stirfry, but not the super high-heat flaming WHOOSH kind. This hood is perfectly fine for an average home cooking enthusiast like me.

• suemp53
    12 years ago

Shanghaimom: Thanks for the feedback and I will follow the suggestion to turn it on before cooking. I feel like I can finally relax and look forward to the delivery.

• Jan419
    10 years ago

4/04/2014
    I've never posted here and I'm not sure if these are appropriate questions for this thread, but here goes:
    Does anyone know if the 30" gas Master Series is currently available in white?
    Also, this will be my first all stainless steel range and I have been warned about how hard it is to keep clean. Is this true and what do experienced owners use to make this job easiest. Thanks

• chelseanyc
    8 years ago

Does anyone know which refrigerators match best with the Berta range? (In terms of stainless steel color? I noticed the Jenn air refrigerator has the same handles as the Berta master, but does the stainless steel match? My appliances will be next to each other in a gallery kitchen, so I would prefer not to have different stainless steel colors if possible. Help please.

• daisychain Zn3b
    8 years ago

Hmmm, how did I miss this thread? I'm considering a Berta induction, but there is still lots of good info here.

Sorry I can't help you chelseaseagull, but thanks for reviving the thread.