Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nod702

Commercial Range

nod702
12 years ago

Anyone wanting to impress the neighbors "with iv'e got more BTU'S than you", check out Craigslist in Knoxville, Tn. "Commercial gas range, 8 castiron burners, with two ovens. Being used in a residential kitchen. $2500 USD. Pictures posted in the ad.

Comments (9)

• mojavean
    12 years ago

Commercial ranges typically require clearance around all combustible surfaces, meaning if you intend to install it next to cabinetry as pictured in the sales ad on craigslist, that cabinetry has to be non-combustible, i.e., metal. The cabinets pictured do not qualify.

That range should likely be separated from the nearest combustible cabinet by around 12" or so. If the back wall is combustible, it should probably be pulled 4" inches away from it. One would need to look up the manufacturer of the range, find the model, and get the exact specifications.

On another subject, the price of that range seems high. WAY high. Commercial ranges are not that expensive when compared to their high-end residential equivalents. You can buy a 60" 800lb Garland for around 2500 bucks brand new. There is simply no need to spend $2500 on a used residential range.

So I would caution anyone considering the install of a restaurant range in their home to first know that doing so can be very problematic, even dangerous. If you decide to do it (it's a free country, after all) then make sure you put the range on non-combustible flooring and give it the clearance around the sides and back that the engineers who built it recommend. ALSO, if you are going to put in a commercial range, you should probably also be thinking commercial venting to go along with it.

As a rule, commercial ranges do not have electronic ignition, the ovens have pilots, they need bigger gas pipes to feed them. On and on.

As far as I am concerned, unless you are parenting a Duggar-size brood and have to run a 24hr kitchen to keep them all from starving, I would just skip the commercial range in the home idea. The drawbacks simply don't overcome the performance advantages.

• llaatt22
    12 years ago

Well said.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Residential Fire insurance stipulations,local building codes,etc etc.

If commericial ranges in the home where a small adjustment then there would be a large contingent of Garland owners on GW.

• dan1888
    12 years ago

And by "commercial" do you mean the restaurant down the street or the Fat Duck in the UK or Per Se in NYC or El Bulli in Spain... because the later group does not use that type but induction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction at El Bulli

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

There are plenty of Michelin Three Star restaurants that use gas ranges.

• dan1888
    12 years ago

Noma in Denmark is the best restaurant in the world 2011. They use induction hobs in their kitchen.

El Celler de Can Roca in Spain is #2. They use TekTherm low temp ovens developed as an alternative to sous vide immersion cooking.

Mugaritz in Spain #3 uses all induction surfaces.

Osteria Francescana in Modena Italy #4 received top pick from chefs as the best in the world. I haven't found info on their kitchen.

The Fat Duck UK #5 uses induction.

Alinea in Chicago #6 uses Cooktek induction cooktops.

Learning from the best pros in the commercial world is good planning info for residential chefs.

Here is a link that might be useful: The World's 50 Best Restaurant Awards 1-50

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

That's all fine and good for someone who's looking for restaurant quality performance. The OP isn't. She's just looking for almost restaurant capacity.

I second the thought of two side by side consumer grade ranges. I don't know what your budget is, but if you're willing to forgo convection, you can get two 30" 5 burner double oven ranges for less than $3500.

$1754 @ ABT and maybe less elsewhere

If you want something sleeker looking that will look better paired, and have a higher budget, the GE Cafe has the 5 burners with a griddle, a 20K tri ring burner, the stainless top, convection cooking, and double ovens--with self clean.

CGS990SETSS
    Roughly 3K but you might talk a local place into giving you a deal if you buy two.

Here is a link that might be useful: JGB870SETSS

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Sorry, the above was meant for the lady looking for a range for her Hebrew school. Ignore please. :)

• dan1888
    12 years ago

Near restaurant grade in the US is wall ovens and induction cooktops all from IKEA for the best price. Quite a bit safer for a school than open flames.