Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Star rangetop 36"

Posted by joei75 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 7:50

My wife and I decided to upgrade our 30" cooktop that came with the new home we purchased, to a 36" blue star rangetop. It has not been delivered yet, but I have been trying to prepare the granite countertop for its arrival. The installation instructions on the Blue star web site are seriously lacking. What i need help with is
1. How is the range to supposed to be supported? Does a shelf need to be built under the rangetop to hold its weight? I would appreciate some photos from someone who has done this before.
2. The granite countertop obviously needs to be cut, in order to accomodate the unit, but does Bluestar come with some sort of trim kit that can be used to cover the small gap between the granite countertop and the rangetop? Having this would probably prevent food or liquids from collecting in the gaps and might also save me the expense of rounding the granite edges and polishing it.
Never done this before, so any other things to watch out for on this project?
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Star rangetop 36"

Yes, you need a shelf 7" down from the top of your countertop material. Your counter opening should be cut at a minimum of 36" wide. The range top sits about 5/8" above the counter with no lip, so you should ease the top edge of the counter cuts but the edge need not be polished.

o

Our 36" Bluestar rangetop is sitting directly on the base cabinet frame, and has been for 10+ years with no problem. As ctycdm said above, the rangetop cooking surface sits about 1/2" above the granite. Our granite stops dead into the side of the rangetop with a plain square corner. There's a tiny gap (1/32?), but no trim kit provided (or available, I think). I'd think an eased edge would give more opportunities for stuff to collect, actually. Never had a problem keeping ours clean.

o

...to clarify, by "eased edge", I just meant sanded smooth, not a rough cut, since it is not hidden by a lip.
Definitely not a radius or ogee...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here