Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Profile Oven Button Problem

Posted by nerdyshopper (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 7:39

We have a repeated problem with the touch pad controls on our GE Profile wall oven. Yesterday, a day after I boiled some salmon filets with the door propped open, most of the touch pads were dead. They come back to life when I press all the active pads and dead ones and pound on the panel with my fist and open and close the door a few times. I believe it is the same problem many experience with self-cleaning ovens because we often have had it happen then. I wish the oven controls were the old pressure tube type that never had this problem. If it gets to the point we need to service this oven I would like to know if there is a mid-priced 27 inch that we can purchase to replace it. It is a 1990's vintage combo oven with a matching microwave on top.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Profile Oven Button Problem

I believe it is the same problem many experience with self-cleaning ovens because we often have had it happen then.
Failure after self-cleaning is caused to a thermal fuse blowing because the appliance overheats due to insufficient internal ventilation/cooling of the electronic controls, in which case the blown fuse must be replaced ... they do not auto-reset upon cooling. (One brand apparently has a thermal breaker instead of a fuse, which can be reset by pressing a button on the breaker but that still does not happen automatically.)

Your problem likely is the control panel or main board behind it is breaking down upon exposure to thermal stress and/or humidity, then it "recovers" upon cooling/drying. Could be an erratic component on the board or bad solder joint.

o

It is also likely to be exacerbated by your broiling with the door open letting the heat broil the control pad. Broiling is supposed to be a closed door operation in all modern ovens.

o

I have ge profile double ovens about 5yo, I self clean regularly and they work flawlessly. I broil with the door closed though.

o

Thanks for the info on why the problem, but I really wanted to know if there is a brand/model that doesn't have it. I want to use self cleaning in the existing cabinet. And I will follow instructions about how to broil. I am looking for a viable replacement for the existing oven if it finally conks out for good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here