Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BS color ? (another)

Posted by yebo (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 7:34

I know that (for a price) you can have color panels put on your stainless BS (or I spose, change to another color). Is it the same going the other way - color panels on a stainless range?

In the throes of - which is worse, wanting the color I was too cautious to get or having color that just isn't right for me? I have the metal swatch and am trying to listen to myself :).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BS color ? (another)

Not quite sure what you are saying. Do you already have the stainless range? Or is it that you already have a color and want to change...or is this pre-purchase?

If I were doing this over again I would seriously look into the possibility of only having the door and the lower kick plate/vent done in color. That is, essentially a stainless range but with a colored door skin and matching kick plate. That makes a possible future color change a simple job. I don't know if Bluestar would do this but I don't see why not. I say this because I have been thinking lately I would rather have done black than the blue I have, but I am not prepared to go through the work and expense of switching out the sides.

Good luck!

o

If your question is should I go color or stainless, get the color.
And get the color you want.

o

It's pre-purchase. I really like how the color (yellow grey)metal swatch looks with the rest of the swatches for the design. So "having an out" is sort of trying to see which feels worse, color wrong or stainless - not wrong but disappointing. Like mental experiments: If I don't like it and can save the money, I can change it?"

o

The answer to your question is "probably," but I wouldn't expect it to be cheap or the same price as the normal color uplift. You'd be asking for a custom job that is not associated with any range if you went from stainless to color.
PLUS you would have to pay for new metal and that would definitely not be cheap.

Even if you went from color to stainless you'd have to pay for new doors, sides, kickplate, etc.

Get the color ;)

-Stooxie

o

Interesting...could one have the doors and kick plate powder coated locally after purchase if you felt you got the wrong color? The sides are concealed by the cabinets, right?

o

I muchprefer to have it (whatever the powder painting) done by BS. I feel, whether I'm right or not, more confident of the quality -- and finding someone who does good quality range painting seems a hassle at best.

o

I think having a color makes the range really special. You don't have to get a really bright color -- there are so many nice subtle colors.

When our range was delivered (it was color) it had a small ding in the side. The dealer offered to get us new side panels, vent and door. When they arrived Blue Star talked us through re-skinning the range. I will not say this was a walk in the park but it was doable. Lots of screws - you have to take off the bevel and virtually take the whole range apart to get the side panels off and on.

Encourage you to get a color. Go to the Blue Star web site and look at the pictures of different colors. I think the Blue Star really looks great in color.

o

Agree that I would have BS do the color but my question was....what if in 10 years I hate the color (we are doing a jet black BS for the primary kitchen) - can I simply take the door and kick plate off and have it recoated to a new color? Lots of places here do powder coating.

Now I am even more curious so I am going to request a few quotes just to see what they would charge. I want a red induction range for my prep kitchen and my only option is Viking. Maybe I can buy any induction range and have it powder coated. Hummmmm....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here