Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chefaddict

Wolf RT36 Griddle Plate?

ChefAddict
12 years ago

So does anyone know can you buy a griddle plate (any brand, maybe someone can recommend one). I went for the 6 burners over the griddle or broiler option, as i felt i could just put a griddle plate on it, and clean easily.

i called my local wolf dealer, they were clueless (as always) and said they don't recommend use, and threatened it would void the warranty(?)

Comments (16)

• acw6455
    12 years ago

Are you talking about one that you can just rest on a couple of burners?

• ChefAddict
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yea I'm talking about a normal griddle plate or pan, that u put on top of 2 burners..

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

CA

We have the Viking Portable griddle over 2 burners on our 36" range - Love it! Very functional I leave it there - when not in use it acts a plate warmer - excellent for pancakes, veggies, quesadillas, eggs, chicken -

6 yrs now & still looks new

Here is a link that might be useful: Viking portable griddle

• ChefAddict
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So do you put it over the grates? or do u take the grates off and put the griddle on top?

I think I'm being forced into the Wolf Sealed range top, will it work with that?

• breadandsuch
    12 years ago

I actually have a12 inch griddle on my Wolf, but often it is not enough space for me. I bought a 14x23 Chef King griddle that sits on top of 2 of my Wolf burners and I love it.The chef king is large, and when heated properly, it cooks evenly. It is quite heavy, and you also need to consider where you would store it, but if you have no problem with either, I highly recommend it!

• ChefAddict
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jejv - Do u have the viking portable griddle on a Wolf rangetop?

• alexrander
    11 years ago

That Viking non-stick griddle looks pretty nice. I just bought a Dacor AG 14x24 non-stick aluminum griddle because it's the largest I could find. But like the Viking it is expensive. The nicest not too expensive aluminum griddle I've seen is called 'maxi griddle' by Wisconsin Forge. It's usually about $75. and thick aluminum- but I didn't read the link from Cook's Illustrated.

• ex007
    11 years ago

We've used a Caphalon griddle for years w/o any problems. One of the reason why we went with the Wold 6 burner rangetop. It allows for far more flexibility.

• treg87
    11 years ago

My question is for breadsandsuch. Since you have both the Wolf built-in griddle and a stove-top griddle can you tell me if you notice any difference in the way they cook? I know that your Chef King griddle plate is larger, but aside from size, do you find that cooking on it is just as good as cooking on the Wolf griddle? From what I have read, a griddle on the stove is supposed to be superior, but you actually have experience with both so I value your opinion. Please also comment on clean up of each. I am asking because I am thinking of purchasing a 48" rangetop with 4 burners and the 24" griddle as I don't think that a 12" griddle would be large enough for the things that I think I would be using it for and therefore would get less use, but I hate to "waste" that space if a stovetop griddle is just as good. I do think I would use it a lot in place of a wok which I use quite often, and I love the idea of having a larger heated surface than my wok can offer. Also, do you ever use your griddle (on the Wolf) for simmering in a pot? If I only have 4 burners, I think that there would be occasions that I would need to do this. I currently only have 4 burners which is suffient most of the time, but occasionally I wish I had more burners, although I really only need a couple of extra place (burners or possibly the griddle surface if you think it will work) to simmer food as I am not efficient enough to have more than 4 things on a high flame at one time without burning something anyway :). I know your posting is several months old so I'm not even sure you will see this, but if you do your opinion and any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Payal
    3 years ago

@treg87 I’m in the same dilemma. Debating between getting a built in griddle and getting a stove top griddle. We’re considering the 36” with 6 burners or 4 burners and a griddle. What did you go with? How did your experience work out?

• wekick
    3 years ago

@Payal

I don’t think Treg is here but maybe this will help. I have add ins for the following reasons.

It gives you flexibility with your burners. Not only can you use 6 burners when you need them but you can place the griddle anywhere on the burners. I have picked up the whole griddle and put it in the oven.

You can have your choice of metals. I have these by Royal Industries.

http://royalindustriesinc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_22_48

They are heavy aluminum which conducts heat more quickly than steel. This makes it heat more evenly and they respond quickly when you turn them up or down. They make them in bare metal which will season eventually or nonstick. They are inexpensive so you can have both. Some people want steel and Chef King makes that. They are heavier to move. One characteristic of steel whether it is an add on or built in is that it has warmer and cooler areas. Some people like this for cooking and holding.

https://www.dvorsons.com/ChefKing/Griddles.htm

The 2 burner add on has much more cooking area. on my range it was about 50% more. I have the 15”x23”. The add on isn’t confined to the width of the burner grates.

You have the potential for a lot more heat with an add on. The heat for built ins is around 15K BTUs over the two burners. Depending on the burners you have, 15K on each burner gives you 30K, something like BlueStar would be even more. You can adjust the heat for each end separately.

You can pick up the griddle and wash it in the sink with an add on.

If you need to replace, it is easy and inexpensive. For some built in griddles like the steel ones it isn’t likely that you would ever need to do that but it depends on the brand of range you buy and what the griddle is made of and what sort of finish it has.

The advantages to built in-

easily reproducible temperatures. You turn it to 350°F you get that same temperature. For the add on it is more like using a pan. You have to eyeball it.

Some people might like the stability of the griddle being built in. Some people just want the look of the built in.

You didn’t say what brand you were looking at but there might be some additional considerations depending on the brand.

• Payal
    3 years ago

@ wekick, thanks so much for the detailed response! We’re going for the wolf rangetop and I’m trying to decide between the 36” with 6 burners, 36” with 4 burners and a griddle or the 48” with 6 burners and a griddle.
    We’re a family of 5 and I end up doing a decent amount of batch cooking easily using 4 burners at a time. I also end up using cast iron/non stick griddles and sometimes feel like it takes a very long time to make pancakes etc unless I use multiple skillets. I use my skillets every day and do think I’ll end up making good use of the griddle. Trying to figure out if a built in griddle is better for even cooking and making multiple burgers, pancakes, quesadillas etc at once.
    I’m open to the 36” with 4 burners and a griddle but a sales person mentioned it may not be good for batch cooking/larger pots and pans as the griddle is in the middle and it’s not a continuous surface of 2 burners on the sides. Not sure if anyone has felt that.

• wekick
    3 years ago

@Payal

”Trying to figure out if a built in griddle is better for even cooking and making multiple burgers, pancakes, quesadillas etc at once.”

I have 36”, 6 burner Wolf range.

The Wolf griddle is 1/2 steel. This means it takes longer to heat up and change temperatures. It takes longer to even out. Wolf has tried to address this using an infrared burner to heat it but they say right in the manual it isn’t that even. It is just due to the heat transfer properties of the steel.

Aluminum add ons like the Royal Industries griddle being aluminum heat more evenly. That‘s why if you buy good clad cookware like all clad, they use aluminum and/or copper in the pan. Thermador uses aluminum in their built in griddle.

If you need to make a lot of something, the bigger area you have, the more you can produce at one time.

For a 2 burner griddle these are the areas in sq inches.

Add on Royal Ind griddle

15”x23”=345 sq inches

Wolf built in

10”x19”=190 sq inches. Many people have been disappointed by this.

If you want built in, to get more usable griddle space go with a 48” with a 4 burner griddle. The cost for 48” is a lot more for ventilation.

• Payal
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for your detailed response and links. This is really helpful!

• soniasunshine
    3 years ago

@payal
    What did you decide on? And how's it going? Is the griddle easy to clean-up so it looks clean? We're still deciding between Wolf and Thermador 36" range tops with either 4 burners and a griddle, or 6 burners. A griddle would be handy without buying a separate unit for that..