Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
QUIET hood for 48" Wolf gas stove?

Posted by kath0000 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 2:30

Hello all,

Looking at a custom kitchen and Wolf appliances including a 48" gas stove. I have trouble with the crazy noise of the hoods though so don't use them often enough, in our current home. For our new home, can someone recommend an appropriate hood that is actually QUIET and doesn't sound like a 747 taking off when on even a low setting?

Thanks! Kath

This post was edited by kath0000 on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 2:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: QUIET hood for 48" Wolf gas stove?

You might start with searching for "clinresga" using Google and targeting this site: ths.gardenweb.com. He has a ventilation system that is probably as quiet as residential hood parts will achieve. I don't recall that it was for 48-inches though.

My largest Wolf Pro-Island hood is large enough and is used with a Wolf/Broan 1500 cfm roof fan and in-line silencer [muffler] by Fantech. It is quiet enough to talk under at full speed while wok cooking, but I wouldn't call it quiet. I'm not sure the usual meaning of quiet is possible using a normal hood (perforated ceiling system perhaps). I suspect that a similar flow rate commercial up-blast fan might be a bit quieter, albeit more obvious on the roof. Most noise from my setup is air turbulence at the baffles, but some motor rumble and lower duct and hood transition turbulence is perceptible.

In any case, it is apparent that you are just starting the glorious journey into the complexities of kitchen ventilation, and should perhaps review the references at my Clippings, reached via My Page on this site.

Also, search on MUA on this forum. What goes out has to be replaced. You cannot put in a hood suitable for serious cooking on a 48-inch range without providing make-up air from somewhere; this somewhere cannot be from back-drafting combustion appliances; and unless you live in a climate like San Diego but without any dust, this air will have to filtered and probably heated and have its own blower.

Think of this as your next hobby for a while. Or find a HVAC firm that can spell MUA.

kas

o
RE: QUIET hood for 48" Wolf gas stove?

Thanks for your comments. WOW, I had no idea this was so complex. Now DH and I are discussing the stovetop being on the island (so he can see the TV in the FR while cooking). I guess that adds another level of complexity into the whole vent issue. SIGH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here