Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undercounter refrigerator

Posted by nietza (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 2:15

I am building a small wet bar in my basement. The area I am using is about the size of a closet with a depth of 22 inches. My original intent was to place a beverage cooler under the counter that had a depth of 20 inches. However, when I went to buy the cooler I realized it wasn't built to be placed under the counter.

So, I have been researching alternatives. As I started researching, I have decided a refrigerator would be a better choice. However, as I started looking at the options I noticed two things about units that are created for under the counter. One is that they tend to be much more expensive. The second issue is that they have a much greater depth. The best I could find was a Summit refrigerator that has a depth of 22.75 inches for $800.

Do I really need a refrigerator that is specifically designed to be placed under the counter? Can I use a free standing one instead? Today I was in an appliance store were the salesman suggested a GE model that was less than a 22 inch depth and less than $300 that he insisted could go under the counter even though it didn't have a front vent. Will this cause issues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undercounter refrigerator

Do I really need a refrigerator that is specifically designed to be placed under the counter? Can I use a free standing one instead?

If you place a refrigerator designed to be installed freestanding enclosed undercounter it will not get proper ventilation.

It will work harder, use more electricity, operate louder than designed and kill the compressor in about 2-3 years.

o

Perlick makes an undercounter fridge (as well as a beverage cooler and wine cooler) that's 24" wide but only 18" deep (link below). They're well reputed. And yes, use only proper built-in undercounter refrigeration, not cheap "compact" refrigerators (I don't know why true built-ins are so much more expensive either, but that's true of full-size units as well). The specifications on non-built-ins will always state you must have a few inches of clearance on either side and on top, and not to built them in undercounter as that will quickly fry the condenser from overheating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shallow Depth Undercounter Fridge

o

this is a more informative link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Perlick 18'' deep undercounter fridge

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here