Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestefar_gw

What dishwasher detergent to use in new Miele

bestefar
11 years ago

We just had a new Miele Futura Dimension dishwasher installed today. The Miele tech said to use powder or the Miele"pellets" which we received with the dishwasher. He said use 1/2 pellet per wash. He also said we could finish our Cascade gel, but after that, we should use powder. As little as possible. Just wondering what ACTUAL users do?

Comments (41)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Miele tabs or "pellets"

Usually 1/2 but use a whole one if heavy extra soiled pots or heavy soiled full load.

Miele tabs are made by Somat. They are very similar or exactly the same. I use Miele Rinse Aid and I use Miele Conditioning Agent about every six months.

You can find Miele products at Miele appliance retailers, Miele vacuum dealers, and on the net. Just Google.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I use a small amount of Cascade and no rinse aid in our Miele Diamond. We have soft water. My dishes come out fine. I have occasionally wondered whether it is really necessary to use the Miele stuff, so this thread is interesting to me. I know that there have been previous discussions around this.

• wilson853
    11 years ago

I have a Miele Optima which is almost four years old - G 2470 model. The control panel has the option to use gel or 2 in 1 tabs. I use Cascade Action Pacs. Everything always comes out spotless. I only scrape and don't pre-rinse the dishes. I don't use rinse aid. I love the pot and pan cycle on this DW. It really works.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I have soft water same as nycdevil.
    I use seventh generation gel(works fine) but plan picking up the miele tabs to try them. I also plan on trying a rinse aid. The tech told me to use less gel (2 tsp max as opposed to filling it up).

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I use Method Smarty tabs in my Miele DW. I think rinse-aid is essential, so I also use the inexpensive Jet Dry. My water is just slightly hard - the Miele technician said it's not quite hard enough to need to use the Miele built-in softener, but it is a bit hard.

I use the Method Smarty tabs unscented version. I don't want any scents in my DW detergent, and I really like that Method Smarty tabs do not have bleach--I do not want the smell of bleach that is found in other DW tabs. They also can be easily broken in half, and I find that a half-tab works great for a load of dishes. There have been posts that if you use too much detergent, you will have etching or a white residue on dishes and glasses. I buy Method Smarty tabs at Target or Whole Foods, but they can be bought cheaper on Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Method Smarty Tabs

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I want to add to my previous post - that Wilson853 had an excellent point, so I will second it - SCRAPE dishes, don't RINSE. If you rinse also, you will get etching on your dishes and glasses, since the detergent enzymes will have nothing to work on but the finish on your dishes. Plus, what is the point of having a DW if you are going to rinse; it's a waste of water, and a waste of the cost of an expensive DW.

• realism
    11 years ago

I am not an expert so feel free to disregard anything I say (and I know many of you will), but I very much doubt that enzymes are responsible for etching on rinsed plates. Anyone with a basic knowledge of biology knows that enzymes are very specific in the substrates they interact with. Enzymes do not just eat up anything in their path. Remember the old enzyme lock and key model from high school? I seriously doubt the same enzymes that work on organic material in food are also capable of ruining porcelain or ceramic.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

Realism, I too don't know for a fact whether it's the enzymes. What I do know is that if you rinse your dishes before putting them in the DW, rather than just scrape, you will over time have etching and the shine will be removed from your dishes. I am just trying to give a heads up to the OP.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

I've owned a Miele Diamante Plus for almost 3 years now, and have tried a few different brands. You can see the results with some pictures in the link below.

The older (original) Miele tabs did a great job, and I only used 1/2 tab per wash. Then Miele changed the formulation and I noticed I was getting a lot of suds, even with 1/2 tab (see pics in link). It actually made so much suds, that it activated the overflow protection in the bottom of the unit, and a Miele tech had to reset it. I told him what happened, and he agreed that the older Miele tab were better, and also didn't made suds like the new phosphate-free ones.

After that, I tried the Finish Quantum (with the red ball). They cleaned well and produced no suds, but the bleach in them started to discolor some plastic items.

Then I went to the Method Smarty tabs (as a lot of people in here recommended them). All I use is 1/2 of a Method tab, and get clean results, no suds, and no bleaching discoloration. I've been using them for about 2 years now. Amazon sell a 6 bag case (20 tabs per bag) for $27. That's 120 full tabs, but since I cut them all in-half with scissors, that gives me 240 half-tabs, or about 8 months worth. For the price, you can't beat it. They have a new one called "Method Smarty Plus", but the reviews aren't as good, so I might stay clear of them and get the standard Method Smarty.

I do use the Miele brand salt for the internal water softener, and the Miele Rinse Aid. The thing I like about the Miele Rinse Aid is that is doesn't leave a chemical smell like some other brands. I went up to the Miele Store in Boca FL last week, since I needed rinse aid and salt (the red light was on). While I was there, the lady gave me a couple of the Miele tabs, since I told her what happened with the suds, but since that was 2 years ago, I wasn't sure if the formula had changed since then. That night I tried a full tab, and got the same suds, and even the following night when I only used half a tab. So they are still using the same formulation from 2 years ago that produces too many suds. Since that Miele store had several working dishwashers there, I've seen them in action, fully loaded and using Miele tab, and they had the same amount of suds in them and I get at home.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0916400921569.html

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Did anyone ever confirm that the Miele tabs are made by Henkel (Somat)? In Germany, they used to be made by a Swiss company called Claro and now by Dalli - a company who usually supplies Lidl and Aldi with various cleaning products.

Alex

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I used to use Cascade and things came out pretty good - then Miele rep gave me a couple of Miele tabs and Zowie - the dishes were even cleaner!
    I was sold and figured and use them all of the time. I just used the Miele conditioner and the DW looks brand new (although I will save the little bottle and try the Appliance Doctor Tang trick next round!

The newer dishwashers need dirt to clean or they shut off too soon - I think the etching comes from not cleaning enough vs the enzymes but not a chemistry major....

In any case, if you have never seen this video - it is a hoot.
    I use this in some of my training classes if the class needs a pick up. - What not to do with an iPad.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIwXVKQjsQ
    Enjoy!!

• aamassther
    11 years ago

The old Miele tabs were made by Claro. The new ones by Dalli. Rinse aid and salt are still Claro made. I'm not that keen on the current Miele tabs either. Pots and pans come out with a white film where soil was.
    I've had the best luck with Somat powder. It should, there's 30% phosphorous in the formula, superlative results. Cascade complete powder is a second. I'm currently using the new cascade platinum pacs and Costco pacs with good results so far.
    This is in a La Perla II, softener engaged

• redoingit
    11 years ago

1/2 Miele tab for over 6 years. No etching that I notice. I also use the Miele Rinse Aid.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

I thought the Somat brand (powder, tabs) weren't available in the US. I know someone here said before they had a friend in Germany that would send them the Somat 5 or new Somat 9 tabs.

• aamassther
    11 years ago

I buy Somat powder from productswithstyle.com, not cheap, but neither are Miele tabs.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I will have to check out the Somat products. I saw both the powder and tabs listed - not sure if really available but will have to click to see.

• karenlee56
    11 years ago

Miele Futura Dimension (Whole house water softener
    DW water softener off- no salt used in it
    No Jet Dry or similar
    One Finish Quantum tab per load
    Perfect results EVERY time
    Is the only detergent so far in any of my dishwashers that takes the brown stains out of my mugs from tea staining

• ajinnh
    11 years ago

Miele recommended Finish detergents when I purchased our dishwasher last year. First I tried the tabs (with the red dot), but now we use the liquid. Both seem to clean about the same, I just like using the liquid better.

• xamsx
    11 years ago

I got a Miele Futura Dimension last year, and was also told to use powder. I was strongly discouraged from using action-tabs type of detergent, so I use powder Cascade.

I use jet dry or cascade as a rinse agent. This thing seems to eat rinse agent as I am forever getting the "refill rinse" warning on the panel (ok probably once a month, but it seems like it is constant).

• fauguy
    11 years ago

You then need to read your instruction book and adjust the rinse aid dispenser. On mine, there is a setting of 0-6, where 0 is off, 3 is the default amount of 3ml, and 6 is the max of 6ml. I had it set to the default of 3, then adjusted it to 2, and then to 1. I've been using the 1 (1ml) setting for 2 years, and only refill it every 3-4 months. A setting of 3-6 was too much rinse aid, and made some glasses feel sticky.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

OMG Fauguy, I cannot believe I have had my Miele DW all this time, and didn't know about the rinse-aid dispenser adjustment. I just checked mine, and yup, there it is! It was set to 3, and has been set to 3 for the several years I have had this DW. I always felt like Xamsx mentioned above, like I had to refill rinse-aid too often, which is one of the reasons I use the cheap Jetdry (Jetdry works fine in any case). Now I will experiment with the settings to 2 and to 1, and see how it goes. You made my day Fauguy!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

akchicago- too funny - yes it can drink a lot of rinse aid but since I have been using the Miele tabs (and I assume since they say Miele on them, they are OK) I turned off the rinse aid.
    Now what to do with all of the bottles I got on sale!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

a2gemini- send to me !

"...and didn't know about the rinse-aid dispenser adjustment"
    me neither, thanks for the info.

• colin3
    11 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up on the rinse-aid adjustment.

I use half Method Smarty tabs most of the time; Finish Powerball tabs when the wash looks dirtier than usual.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

EatRealFood - where are you located? LOL

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

the center of the universe-ny :)

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

EATREALFOOD: "the center of the universe-ny :)"

It is always difficult to break the news to a NyuuYawker, but the Center of the Known Universe is Very Close to: longitude -122.678803, latitude 45.519038.

• bustergordon
    11 years ago

I had been using Finish tabs in my Optima successfully for 2 years. I recently tried switching to Ecover powder because we're on septic and wanted something more eco-friendly, and while the dishes came out clean, it appears to have killed my machine. I think we must have had a sudsing problem or something.

I had very poor luck experimenting with the Method tabs - everything came out covered in white film.

• cj47
    11 years ago

I use powdered Cascade complete, from Sam's Club. A big box lasts me about 6-8 months. I need to see about adjusting the rinse aid, mine seems to drink it, too. On the other hand, that machine runs a minimum of twice a day, frequently more, so maybe it's just getting legitimately used up. :-)

I use a tablespoon of Cascade, but I see above where others use one Teaspoon. Does anyone else use just a teaspoon and get decent results? I'm sure that all the dirt will get knocked off the dishes, but are they really clean if you're not using enough detergent? If I could get by with less, that would be just fine, but how does one know? I'm already using less than the instructions say.

Cj

• xamsx
    11 years ago

fauguy even the default with all that rinse aid doesn't leave the glasses perfectly clear, so I will have to continue with the rinse-aid-feast (and no, we do not have hard water) as lowering the amount of rinse aid will result in even foggier glasses. Maybe I will try raising it. Thanks for the tip.

This post was edited by xamsx on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:23

• Denitza Kotov
    10 years ago

I like Green Grab tablets - check Amazon

• mariarampinelli
    7 years ago

We use have the new Miele Futura Crystal dishwasher. The tech told us to use 1/2 a Miele tablet and it did not clean properly. We now use a full tab and it is excellent.

• aquinski
    7 years ago
    We use Finish which is what was recommended by Miele when we purchased it. We've occasionally tried other products, but Finish has worked the best.
  • lapsangtea
    7 years ago

half a Method smarty tab

• PRO
    Natalain Schwartz Landscape Design Build
    5 years ago

I am guilty of rinsing our dishes and service ware lightly prior setting them in the rack. Often our glassware comes out smelling like wet dog oddly not every wash . We use 1/2 tab Melie tabs cycle, salt and Finish . I make sure the water is hot from the faucet before I begin the cycle..

I understood that the instructions for the our dishwasher require no cleaners futurea dimension,

Has this happened to anyone else?

• PRO
    Shirley Haberfeld
    5 years ago

Are the Miele dishwashing products environmentally ok?

• fauguy
    5 years ago

Yes, the Miele packs are phosphate free and made in Europe. All you need to do is cut them in half, as that's all it takes even on a large load.

Also there is the Method Smarty tabs. Use half of those.

• greentara0
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I was using Finish Quantum power ball and salts from SOMAT as i have hard water. I began using finishing rinse aid as well as a no name brand but I don't notice the difference. But one thing that has happened is that the lower basket on RHS has rusted and now a prong has broken off. The rust showed up before and Miele replaced basket in first five years (of ten year warranty) but said no more. When this happened again four years later, I called Miele and while I was told when I purchased the machine to use FINISH, Miele is saying it has been reformatted and is causing the problem. That or the rinse aid. OR combo. I will be buying Miele Ultra Tabs from now on and being in Canada in a rural setting, I will have to get them from the co directly. (Note I have an 18 inch d/w). I do hope there is a way to cut the tabs in two as I really don't need that much detergent given size of loads.

• dotsandstripes 123
    3 years ago

Yes, you can cut the tabs in 2 with kitchen shears or use a large, sharp knife and a cutting board. A Miele tech recommended this to me. I ran out of Miele tabs and used up some Finish tabs I had previously bought, but they do not clean as well as the Miele tabs. I am finding dishes that are not 100% clean and that never happened when I used the Miele tabs so I will be going back to them.

• Kaybee
    2 years ago

I can smell/taste the Miele tabs on plastic items, but the Finish tabs didn’t clean well enough in my 2020 Futura classic. My second dishwasher is an older Miele (2014?) and it does fine with the Finish tabs. Not sure about other options for tabs.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz