Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardendi

Any benefits to sticking with one appliance brand?

gardendi
10 years ago

I have been trying to choose kitchen appliances for my upcoming remodel/expansion for months now. I choose and then read reviews and chicken out. First I wanted Jenn-air because I liked the induction cooktop. Then I wanted Thermador, then Monogram. Right now I think I want a Liebher CS2062 refrigerator, a Meile H4894 Bp2 double oven, a Bosch NIT8665Uc induction cooktop, and I haven't even started on an island hood. My question is, are there any benefits to having a one brand only kitchen? Any opinions on my choices? I feel like a deer in the headlights. 15 years of dreaming and what a nightmare of indecision. I cook, bake, and entertain often.

Comments (7)

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Prevailing view here & in kitchens is to get the best of each category for your purposes. You've got some great choices in your sights.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

The only benefit to having a one brand kitchen would be unity of style. Given how long (short, rather) appliances last these days, I would suggest putting that benefit at the bottom of the list or scratching it off all together. I don't believe that was ever much of a consideration in kitchens, unlike bathroom fixtures. There was a bit of that when colors were popular, but even there, Harvest Gold was Harvest Gold for most manufacturers. (White of different bathroom fixture brands don't even match these days.) It should be interesting to see what replaces stainless steel when it goes out of style (aren't we about due?) for the common appliance store brands. White, stainless steel and black don't encourage complete appliance replacements when one breaks since those finishes easily match new with existing.

Of course manufacturers want you to purchase a Brand 'X' kitchen, but different brands excel at different appliances.

• sprtphntc7a
    10 years ago

yes, general consensus is get the best appliance that works with your application and usage and fits in ur budget..
    no need to buy one brand.

one brand does not make the "best" of everything...

Good Luck!!!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone else's advice, but mainly wanted to say the Bosch induction cooktop is fabulous (we have the 500 series).

• joc6820
    10 years ago

I believe there are benefits:
    -you can get very attractive pricing with the promotions
    -you have one local and mfr. service contact which, if they're good (a key consideration in choosing a brand), can make life with the appliances much easier
    -a unified look
    -only one set of controls/ergonomics to learn
    I did the one brand thing two years ago when building. My reasoning; the appliances I cared most about (fridge, cook top) I would have bought the brand anyway. The ones i cared least about (hood, oven, microwave) were "good enough." I would do it again.

• schicksal
    10 years ago

IMO the benefits are greatest when the appliances will be next to each other, like a steam oven above a regular oven. But if they will not be you should be able to mix and match.

• kristianco
    10 years ago

I don't see a reason to do it except for cost. We did all Monogram last go-around because they had a fantastic deal (and my wife gets GE corporate pricing). We are going all Thermador this time because we love their induction and refrigerators (and the package cost makes the things we don't care as much about "free", which is a nice benefit).

The only two things that I think HAVE to go together are the oven and steam oven since they are stacked in our kitchen. Everything else could be mixed and matched without care in our case except for $$ is a "care" for us so we are going package. Good luck with your choices!