Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbirnholz

Help us choose -- Lacanche (Sully) or Wolf Rangetop/Double Ovens

rbirnholz
15 years ago

This is a very useful forum - thank you all contributors. We are picking new appliances. I had little doubt that I would pick a Wolf 48" rangetop and the 30" double wall ovens. I have long been a Wolf fan, I like the look, the fact that all burners go from very very low to very high, and the wall ovens are large and flexible between modes of operation.

Now I have stumbled across the Lacanche ranges. They are stunning. After reading, I think the right fit would be the Sully. I like the larger ovens. I'd probably pick two electric ovens. (I find that I am not using our current convection settings all that much.)

The unvarnished "facts" seem to favor Wolf in terms of features. given the features above. But the Lacanche is the hands down winner in aesthetics in my view; and it seems to have earned the praise of many professionals.

Is this a "head" vs. "heart" decision? Do Lacanche owners have any reservations with their purchases (oven size, lack of simmer capability on all burners, any other problems?)? Or is this "take the leap" and "don't look back"?

Comments and feedback are very much appreciated!

Comments (49)

• betsy_anne
    15 years ago

Hi -

Can't speak to Lacanche (though I did look at the LaCornue with admiration), but we do have the Wolf 48" rangetop and double ovens. They are now about 2 years in use and are wonderful applicances. While I loved the look of the range, I liked the wall oven height/ease of use compared to the range.

Both rangetop and ovens have exceeded expectations. The only think I don't like about the ovens is the display panel, and I believe that the display panel is now easier to read.

Good luck with either choice.

• plllog
    15 years ago

How much do you cook? How fancy or complicated? If the answer is "lots" then your best bet would be to try out the different appliances with your pots or ones that are the same size and weight, and at least play at the oven part, and for sure see how the stovetop handles.

You're talking about great appliances. The big difference is really between range and components, and between the different gas tops. Check the ovens for size and utility for your style of cooking/baking. Check the feeling of starting something on the top and putting it in the oven. Etc., etc.

If you mostly make pasta, a roast chicken, and occasional cookies, go with the prettiest. :-)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I loved the look of the Sully, too, but could not at all consider its price. We have a 48" Wolf rangetop and an F&P dbl oven. We paid a total of $6500 for those 2 things, so over $3000 less than a Cluny, and I don't know how much less than a Sully.

Looking at the Sully's specs, I notice it's 57" wide, so space used is something to consider, as well as hood size needed.

I see that the ovens are each approx 3 1/2" narrower and about 4" shorter than mine inside. That seems like a lot of difference if you ever want to bake or roast using more than one rack at a time, and depending on the width of the baking sheets you use. Like Betsy_anne, I really like having the controls and one oven at eye height, and the other oven is higher than a range would offer, too, so easier checking, basting, and putting things in and out.

I like having the burners all with equally high power and low simmer, so that I can situate my pans according to what fits and works best for me at the time, not by how the burners are powered. Obviously, you'd give that up with the Lacanche, but whether that's a sacrifice to you depends on what and how you like to cook. It may be one of those things, that even if it is a sacrifice, it may be small enough to deal with the gain the appearance.

Super performance and good look, or good performance and amazing looks. It's a tough call, but it's an enviable dilemma! After all I said, if price was no object, and even though I'm usually terminally practical, I might have to have the Lacanche...They take my breath away.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

rhome makes good points. The observations are in general on target in my opinion, based on my experience with our Cluny 1400.

Issues: cost, no doubt, it's a premium priced range, not in the (real) CornuFe stratosphere, but well above other high end units.

Size is metric, so be aware of the special needs here, and the future difficulties it may create if you ever wanted to swap it out (though most LC owners can't imagine why you would ever do that). Ours is 55 and a fraction inches wide.

Ovens are definitely smaller, such that a half sheet pan does not fit easily. I knew going in that the electric non convection and gas ovens on our Cluny might not meet my needs and we have an additional Miele 30'' wall unit, which is my primary oven. It's lovely to have three, when company comes.

I love the quirkiness of the burner layout on our LC. We have an 18K burner, an 18K french top that we bought an extra grate for to give us two 18K burners when needed, plus the 15K, two 11K, and the 5K simmer. You lose flexibility, but you gain burners exactly tailored to their proper use. That's particularly true from the standpoint of the diameter of the flame circle. Using a large burner, even with ultralow simmer capability, can result in an overly large sized flame when cooking with small pots.

As for rhome's comment "super performance" (the Wolf) versus "good performance" (the LC), I'd put up an argument. If rhome has the closed burners, and if my failing memory serves me correctly, those burners max out at 15K BTU. Now, there have been debates on GW as to whether that 3K difference is significant. Suffice it to say that our 18K LC burners are significantly hotter than the 15K burner on our Dacor cooktop at the lake. So it's not a slam dunk on performance.

Still, it's the look of the LC that cinches the deal for most of us. Just a whole different world versus the Wolf industrial SS look. Many prefer that Wolf look, but for what we were doing the LC was a perfect match. I've always said that if seeing the LC the first time doesn't take your breath away, then it's probably not for you.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Sorry, didn't mean to insult the Lacanche performance...and I have Wolf open burners, 8 @ 16,000 BTUs.

• Susied3
    15 years ago

Hi, we are (were) going through the EXACT same dilemna! I wanted a WOLF before they were ever made for Residential use! (26 years!)
    But, after doing a lot of research, I find that there is even an issue with the WOLF in simmering if the pan size is not large enough. (Or so, that is how it appears.) I have gone through excruciating pain trying to make this same decision, I thought the Sully would HAVE to be the Lacanche model if I bought one.

THEN...Husband comes in and informs me that if I could get the Cluny 1400, there would be the same burner configuration I wanted on the Sully, plus, with the price difference, I could still get the modern 30" convection oven for the price difference.

THEN... I called Art Culinaire and talked to Chelsea. After talking to her, I feel comfortable with the Cluny ovens...

Now, I've got to decide on an island oven, but that is for another post.....(Maybe the Wolf!)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

rhome: no insult taken. I was just trying to point out strengths and weaknesses of the LC's. And, FWIW, my other choice would have been a Wolf, so I'm in your camp on that.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

yes, rhome410 is on the money. the LC is gorgeous no doubt and from what i hear it is a great performer. but my fleeting affair with it soon ended after i realized the ovens were just too small for us. plus i wanted a rotisserie and an infrared grill...
    maybe i didn't research the LC seriously enough, but it just seemed as though the capital i selected would serve us better.

it's a completely personal decision though. you should think about what you cook, how you cook it and what you cook it IN. good luck and i can't wait to hear about your selects!

• rbirnholz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the responses, and I look forward to hearing from others.

Susied3-- That is a very interesting, thoughtful idea. I still favor the Sully, but then again, whenever I buy a serving piece for vegetables (just for the family, not a gathering), its always too big.

Having not seen either model in person yet, this is all conjecture.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Glad I didn't offend, because it was only my intent to compliment both choices.

I think you have to find a Lacanche owner in order to look at one? Unless you're in or near Western Washington where Art Culinaire, the only US distributor, is... We're only about an hour and a half away, but I gave up on them as an option because of price before I made the trip to their showroom, so don't know what they have to see in person. But they have quite a packet they're happy to send you, and like Susie said, seem very willing to answer questions. If I remember right, they're also willing to help you find someone that will allow you to come visit theirs in their home.

If I'd known I was going to bring in an LP tank, I might have tried harder to fit the cost into the budget. By the time I knew we'd be using gas, it was too late for many reasons, to change my mind. I now console myself that it wouldn't suit the style of the kitchen I ended up with. --It would grab too much of the attention! :-)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Yes, LC's are off the beaten path, compared to the "big guys" like Wolf. So there is no "Lacanche store" to visit. If you peruse the ongoing LC thread, you'll see that there are many owners like us, who bought sight unseen, based mainly on info from Art Culinaire and the discussions here on GW.

However, AC does maintain a program of "ambassadors" who are happy to show their LC's off in their own homes. Many are delighted to let you cook on them. If you are in an area where Chelsea doesn't have a contact, it's worth posting on the LC thread to see if someone there would be willing to show the range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacanche thread, Part 39

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I didn't seriously look at a large range. While I love the look, I am tall, have a bad neck and shoulders and bake a lot. I could not deal with ovens down so close to the floor, so double wall ovens were a must for me. The deal would have also been cinched with the larger ovens. I have the Wolf Rangetop and Wolf double ovens and I find the Wolf to be a bit tight with some large pizzas.

• momto4kids
    15 years ago

rbirnholz,
    I popped in for the first time in months and saw your thread.

I have the Sully +2, (two warming cupboards, one gas and one electric convection oven). From left-to-right, I have one 18K, two 15K (front/back), one French top, one 11K/one 5K (front/back), two 15K (front/back), and stainless steel work surface.

I absolutely love my range. I'm an avid cook and baker. I think the largest turkey I've roasted was 22-24 lbs. I've never had an issue with pans not fitting in the ovens. The convection (all-time convection) is a shallower oven, but it hasn't posed a problem.

If I were to purchase another one, I would get the regular electric oven vs the convection. If I felt I needed convection again, I would have a separate wall oven that could go back and forth between convection/nonconvection and with 6 racks vs 4 in the Lacanche.

As to the burners, I think I would replace two of the 15k burners with another 11k/5k combo. One 5k isn't enough lower heat level. I love, LOVE my FT, no matter what the naysayers say. The warming cupboards are a must.

My journey started as I was waiting for the Wolf 60" dual fuel to come out. Then I found GW, then Lacanche and never looked back. I purchased the range sight unseen and don't regret any of it for one minute. Having all cooking sources fired up at once is a thing of beauty!

Good luck!!

• clinresga
    15 years ago

momto4:
    decision to get grates was not an indictment of the french top, more an admission of ignorance. I'd love to know how you use the FT: is the burner always at high, how long do you preheat, does moving in or out on the FT really control heat, what are some of your favorite things to cook on the FT.

Agree, if I had more burners, first priority would be another 5K simmer.

• originalvermonter
    15 years ago

Have you considered the wolf induction cooktops. They are beautiful and I believe they are the only induction cooktop that has a pattern. It doesn't bother me at all anymore if stuff boils over because the cooktop is able to sense the liquid and turns itself off. What little that does touch the cooktop is a snap to clean up. It also is as responsive and powerful as gas, but is more energy efficient then gas or electric! It can go so low as to barely melt chocolate. Another advantage is that it greatly lowers the risk of kitchen fires because it heats magnetically. We have put kitchen towels between the pot and cooktop and the water comes to a boil, but the towel doesn't burn. I think Wolf shows this on their website and we were also given a demonstration in a store that was the same. I like this feature because when I was a girl we had a neighbor that badly burnt her body when the sleeve of her bathrobe caught on fire while she was cooking. We were ready to go with gas until my husband found this cooktop. I love it.

• momto4kids
    15 years ago

***Sorry, sorry, clinresga!!***

Oh geez...clinresga...I didn't even know you said anything about the FT! That wasn't a snark aimed at you!! So sorry! No, I've read a lot of comments by chefs who say it's nonsense to have a French top in a residential kitchen.

We're a family of six, plus we entertain a lot. I use my FT to hold a lot of pots. It's a very efficient tool if you can get the hang of it. It's a long lead time to get it heated up, but from there I can juggle a wide variety of heat needs all at the same time. I find it easier to scoot-n-slide pans around than constantly bend over and look at a flame.

I don't always have the burner up on high. Usually I'll have a sauce along with whatever I'm doing and I'll want to hold it on the outer edge. I use it just like any other burner, but I can cram more pots on if I need to.

I like to have a lot of variety of side dishes, so the FT comes in handy. I run out of burners. When we have a bunch of kids over all weekend long, it gets quite a work out. Since I tend to operate more like a short-order kitchen, I find the FT to be a good place to have pots "hang out" while I'm focusing on other pots/pans that need direct attention. The FT, being large and flat, can hold more pots/pans in a smaller place. I use it far more than my open 18K burner! Plus, I can put big odd-sized pots on it with even heating. I have a number of oval pots.

I probably turn it on a good 20-30 minutes before I need it. I like to know it's ready when I am. I can't say it throws off a lot of heat. I'm sure it does, but my kitchen is large and open...so the heat doesn't seem overwhelming. Summer. Winter. It doesn't matter.

It took a little while to get used to it and build it into my cooking routine. Now I wouldn't be without it. I used to say if I only had 6 burners, I'd eliminate it. But not now. I'd definitely get one again. 4 burners and the FT. I probably wouldn't do 2 burners and the FT, but definitely 4.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Induction is fantastic, originalvermonter, but rbirnholz is considering a 48" rangetop or 55" range, which a 5 burner induction unit really can't compare with in cooking space and flexibility of cooking types. I had wanted induction, but needed more large burners...The induction just can't handle my 15 1/2" skillet, 2 burner griddle/grill, or cooking in 4 large pots and pans at once. :-)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

momto4: OMG, that was not a complaint!!! Your description was great--just what I was hoping to hear!!!

I am loving your description of how you use the FT. I was always intrigued by the idea, but had not yet gotten into the comfort zone with it. The idea of a flexible cooking surface, with the ability of using multiple pots at once, is great. Sounds like I just need to start playing with it more. Just another reason I love playing with our Lacanche.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

momto4, so glad you checked in and shared about the FT. Like clinresga, I haven't gotten the hang of it yet and hearing your description has me motivated to learn how to use it. You were the one who so kindly spoke to me on the phone and helped me in my decision for getting the warming cupboard on my Cluny and it is one of my favorite parts of my kitchen.

I remember you sharing about your kids getting used to eating on warm plates (like they serve you in restaurants) and I have to say, my kids are now warm plate spoiled as well. I've never been one to time our meals perfectly and now with the warming cupboard, everything is served piping hot and at the same time!

If I had the room and the money, I would have gotten the Sully with the warming cupboard as there are times I would like a bigger oven. Mostly for baking lots of cookies. I find the smaller ovens do cook the food beautifully though.

I agree with you that I could use another 5K burner and would change that as well if I was ordering. But now that you have explained the FT so well, I think I will use the outeredge of the FT and that will help a lot. And since I live in New Hampshire where it is cold, if it warms up the kitchen it will be another plus.

Since I have never owned a Wolf, I cannot really comment on it's capabilities (I know it has a great reputation), but I can heartily recommend the Lacanche as a great cooker and looker!

• rbirnholz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for everyone who posted. I will keep you updated when we make a final decision! I originally had not been set on a warming cabinet, but many here have spoken pretty strongly about how often they are used. Another idea is to do a Cluny 1400 and add a single 30" wall oven, rather than a Sully with 2 larger ovens....

• clinresga
    15 years ago

That's exactly what we have--Cluny 1400 plus Miele 30'' wall oven and I love it. Best of all worlds if you have the space and budget to do it.

• momto4kids
    15 years ago

Hi pluckymama!! More hot plate snobs! Love it!

rbirnholz...love your idea. I love my range, would definitely buy it again....but if I needed to be flexible as to how cabs/appliances were configured...I'd definitely go the route you're considering (and clinresga did!)!! Good luck. Yes, I'd work hard to get that warming cupboard now that I know how it functions so much more practically than a warming drawer!!

• lamermaid
    15 years ago

Ooh, ahh, just reading this thread is changing my mind from an AG Wolf or Bluestar. My only problem is that I have room for a 30" range. Is it absolutely ridiculous to contemplate getting a french range in this small size? I have not found anyone on GW who has such a petite (lol) size. Thanks in advance for any input and/or advice.

• rbirnholz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The lacanche that would fit your space is the Cormatin. Its a little over 27 inches. It seems quite expensive for that size unit ($6K plus shipping and extras for other colors), but if your heart aligns with your wallet go for it. Otherwise, the Wolf would be terrific. Here's a link to the model:

http://www.frenchranges.com/col_cormatin.shtml

• sggirl
    14 years ago

SOOOO, what did you decide?
    I have same problem. Sounds like many choices are made based on the heart (lol) not necessarily the function. Being a designer, I am always inclined to select the best looking anything but the practical cook in me must know that this range will funtion as I need it. Previously owned a Viking 36" range and an electric convection wall oven. I found that I only used two ovens for holidays. I tended to use the wall oven on a daily basis. However, I do cook on the cooktop a great deal. I have narrowed my choice to the VOLNAY and would love to hear from anyone that has advice. I will also be purchasing an Electrolux 30" electric wall oven (I think...maybe the miele?).

• MayioKonidaris
    10 years ago

Dear Sggirl,
    How did you go with your Volnay, Lacanche purchase?
    I am currently trying to choose the stove that will best suit our needs and am keen on the Lacanche range, but a limited budget will also determine the choice. I like the idea of a wall oven, possibly with a separate grill and perhaps the Volnay? Our local Lacanche importer in Melbourne is closed until the 20th January so I have no idea of costs.
    If our budget will allow it, the Fontenay is also appealing because of the width and the additional cooking options this offers. Not sure though whether I'd make good use of two FT's? Any thoughts anyone??
    Mayio

• bakerboy63
    10 years ago

Mayio,

In the US, the Volnay starts at around $8500. The Fontenay at $11,500 (all in USD). I think each country has their own pricing depending on import duties etc, so you may be more or less than these, but this will give you a relative idea between these two ranges. Lacanche has many options with their ranges which is nice. Than once that is done, the choice of color becomes the hot topic. Good luck.

This post was edited by bakerboy63 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 17:17

• MayioKonidaris
    10 years ago

Thank you bakerboy63,
    Your input was very much appreciated. Some further questions for Lacanche users: how do people find the grill function being inside the oven in most models, as opposed to the 'Chagny' which has a separate grill? Does anyone have the 'multi-purpose cooker' option and if so how useful is it? What do people think are the priority options or 'must haves' based on your use over time? Some feedback around this would be helpful in terms of my decision making.
    Thank you.
    Mayio

• Arborhouse
    10 years ago

New addition with new kitchen on the horizon and am researching ranges. I have the Elmira (it's adorable) and my mother has the LaCornue. Looked at Legacy by Aga (ovens too small), my husband likes the duel fuel Wolf Range but just found the Lancanche -and love the looks of the Sully. Appreciate suggestions, pros, cons, etc Thx

• bakerboy63
    10 years ago

Wolf is a super range, and found in many a high end home. It has a more "professional" look to it. No one would blame you for getting one (you can't go wrong). The Sully on the other hand, is a looker, performs well enough (some minor quirks), good size ovens and people will NOTICE this range. You buy the Sully because you LOVE the LOOK of it. Using a car analogy, Wolf = Mercedes; Lacanche = Ferrari. Which would you notice more? In the hands of a competent cook, both will perform equally. Good luck.

• Erin Ness
    8 years ago

I know this chain is a bit older, but I am asking the same questions and thought i would see if anyone could chime in with suggestions. I am looking at the LC Saulieu. It has one large oven (same size as the Sully's ovens), but then the smaller oven on the side that could be either a warming cabinet or another oven. Does anyone have experience with this? Do you actually use the smaller oven? I also have the choice of Gas vs Electric with either. Gas no longer come with the broiler option so i am conflicted. I cook meat dishes more often than I bake. Also considering getting another 30" wall steam convection oven to fill in my other cooking needs. Im so confused as to what makes sense, and it's too big of purchase to get it wrong. HELP!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

Hi enormous, I don't have the Saulieu. But, I do own a Cluny 1400 and I love the warming oven! I use it all the time. I was shocked at how much it can hold. During the holidays I was able to keep all my side dishes warm while we waited for my husbands Yorkshire pudding to cook and the turkey to rest. It was the first year, everything has been nice and hot when we started eating!

It is also great for slow cooking, which I do often. The only challenge I have found is that I can't put all of my cookware in it, like my very large cast iron skillet. But, it does hold my big Dutch oven. So, I have to give that some thought before I decided to use it.

I have one of each oven, gas and electric, but if I had to chose only one I would chose electric. It's easier to use since you just turn the dial. The gas isn't difficult, but it does require more steps. I use the electric oven much more often than the gas, and I'm not a baker either. My teenagers haven't even attempted to use the gas oven, so I am glad we have the electric one for them to use.

I absolutely love my Lacanche, it cooks like nothing else I've ever used and it is so beautiful!

• Erin Ness
    8 years ago

Thank you Corie! That is a very helpful response.

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@Ernormous,

First of all, thank you for considering Lacanche! I just met again with a Lacanche owner on Monday, who has a Saulieu. She is an avid baker for a family of 6, and told me that she uses the smaller oven ("vertical oven") a lot more often than the main gas oven. In her own words, "it is much bigger than it looks at first".

Just to clarify, Saulieu only comes with the vertical oven, Chassagne comes with the warming cupboard. If you do need 2 ovens in your range, Saulieu is the best option. If you are planning on a separate wall oven anyway, Chassagne and its warming cupboard would be a great option as well. As Corie pointed out, it's much more than "just a warming cupboard".

We just posted some photos of the Saulieu I mentioned above on our website, feel free to take a look! Lacanche Saulieu

Cheers!

Patrick

• Erin Ness
    8 years ago

Thanks Patrick! That is also helpful. Im wondering what your thoughts are on using the smaller rage on the Saulieu as a warming cupboard when needed. Do you think the temperature gets low enough. Im apprehensive to fully commit a whole oven to only be used for warming. Plus if I make it another oven then I can do gas and electric combo. What are your thoughts?

• PRO
    8 years ago

You're welcome! The vertical oven on Saulieu is an "actual" electric convection oven, with the same performance and temperature range as the larger ovens. It may look like our warming cupboard from the outside, but they are two different things.

The lowest temperature for our ovens is about 150F. Just like you can use a regular oven for warming up your plates / keep food warm on occasion, you could also do this with the vertical oven, but you wouldn't have as much control on the low end of the temperature range.

For reference, the temperature on the warming cupboard is fully adjustable from 80F to 230F.

If you think you would use the 2 ovens more often, the vertical oven is great! If you only need a warming cupboard a handful of times a year, I'm sure you can "make it work". The vertical oven would also give you a broiler to complement the large gas oven.

On the other hand, if you see yourself using the main oven (and potentially a wall oven) AND have the need for a warming cupboard on a daily basis, I would go with Chassagne.

I hope this helps, you can't really go wrong either way :)

Patrick

• Erin Ness
    8 years ago

Thank you Patrick! Such a hard decision. Good thing these are not "real" problems.

• Erin Ness
    8 years ago

Patrick- one more question for you. What would you say is the biggest difference between the gas or electric for the main oven? I cook a more meat (and roast veggies) than anything else. If I am planning on a steam convection wall oven, what do you think is the best compliment to that? Keeping in mind that I am now leaning towards making the smaller oven a warming cupboard. That means I would have 2 "cooking" oven in the kitchen and trying to work out the best combination. Thank you for your wonderful help. You are a huge help.

• PRO
    8 years ago

You're welcome!

We get the gas vs electric question a lot! There is an endless debate about which one is best for each type of cooking, but I always say it's mostly a matter of personal preference, and what you are used to. We have had great feedback about our gas ovens for cooking meats (including the must-have Thanksgiving turkey), but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't come out great in an electric oven. I have also seen great cakes / pastries come out of the gas oven, so again, I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other.

2 things to keep in mind: only the electric ovens include a broiling function, and you could say that the electric oven is a little easier to use (just turn the knob). Using the gas oven is not complicated by any means, but the steps to turn it on do require a little bit of getting used to. One more thing: the gas oven as well as all the burners can be used in case of a power outage, if that's a concern where you live.

I know this doesn't give you a definite answer, but I hope it will help in your decision!

Cheers,

• wekick
    8 years ago

"What would you say is the biggest difference between the gas or electric for the main oven"

There are some very specific differences.

Most people like their food to be browned because it adds flavor to what you are cooking. In order for food to be brown, the Maillard reaction must take place. In order for this to happen, need to evaporate water.

I would look at what happens in either oven. In a gas oven, there is moisture released in the combustion of gas but because there is much more ventilation in a gas oven, it and the moisture from what you are cooking are ventilated out so you have superficial drying of your food which promotes browning. This will also add more heat to your kitchen. An electric oven is more of a closed system so will hold on to the humidity more. You can increase the superficial evaporation in an electric oven by increasing the heat or using the fan.

In reading some marketing materials, Wolf and Capital, come to mind, they will state that gas is "moist heat". In the past that was the belief. That would be true of the flame but does not take into consideration the oven as a whole and the effect it has on what you are cooking. They also seem to think that the external moisture from the "moist heat" produces moist meat when it would have nothing to do with it. It is a function of the internal temperature. There are certain irreversible physiological changes to meat as the temperature rises which dictate the amount of moisture in meat fibers. Some also attribute crispiness to the moistness but again is is drying that produces that.

On on the other hand, an electric oven can hold on to moisture which can be a benefit in baking because it promotes starch gelatinization. It can affect the amount of rise, browning and crust formation. This is why bread bakers add moisture at the beginning of baking and/ or use a cloche in a gas oven. The cloche is then removed or moisture allowed to escape and the drier environment promotes browning.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

I'm not sure of your maximum range size or other requirements are, but have you consider a larger Lacanche? It would allow you to get both a gas and an electric plus the warming cabinet. Or, you could go to an 1800 model and get two ovens, a warming cabinet and a steam oven. I'm not sure which thread I read it on, but I read that Lacanche is now doing a steam oven in place of the vertical oven. It might be worth checking to see if that would be an option.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Hi Corie,

I think you're referring to the multi-cooker that we introduced last year in North America. It is a top option that sits over a side cupboard (not warming), and can indeed replace the warming cupboard for many uses. It's also great for boiling, steaming, bain-marie...

In this case, it could be installed over the cupboard on Chassagne, or any of our larger models indeed!

Cheers,

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

Thank you for clarifying, Patrick!

• Kristi Woodcock
    6 years ago

I know this thread is old but I'm considering the Citeaux. Are the Lacanche owners out there still happy? Thanks!

• plllog
    6 years ago

Kristi,

In the Gardenweb/Houzz forums you can have your very own thread. You'll get more responses that way, and can include things like how you like to cook, what burner arrangements you're interested in, and any questions you have about the ranges. Also, do a bigger search and you'll find several dozens Lacanche Owners threads going back many years. If you want to just find out what the owners feel about their ranges, look there. I am not one (I flirted with the idea, briefly), but I can assure you most Lacanche owners who have posted here are very happy with their ranges.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    6 years ago

Kristi, To quickly answer your question, YES!!! I love my Lacanche Cluny 1400! I've been using it for just about two years and I would definitely buy it again. If you start your own thread and you have specific questions I will certainly try to answer them for you!

plllog is correct, a search will pull up a lot of information on Lacanche going back years and years.

• 4rodonogo
    3 years ago

Hello Lacanche owners of Sully with Plancha. How do you like cooking on it? What have you cooked? I’m very close to ordering my range and need reassurance. Thank you!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    3 years ago

Hi 4rodonogo, You will probably get more responses if you start a new thread with your question! I've got a Cluny 1400, without a Plancha, so I won't be able to answer your question. For the record, I've had my Lacanche for just over 5 years and I love it!