Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation for a high power hood with heat lamp

Posted by boxta (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 1:10

hi all,

just planning my remodel, and planning to get an open burner 36 range (CC or bluestar).

also planning to get a high shelf on the range, and get a hood with heatlamp to keep the food warm while i am cooking

i am looking for a nice looking (modern) hood (probably 42) that has good cfm (probably 900 or 1200?)... relatively quiet (maybe external??) .. and has a heat lamp built in..

i did some research.. and seems like viking / wolf chimney could fit the bill.. but i can't tell how the noise level is or reliability

can anyone please share experience??

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation for a high power hood with heat lamp

Capital makes a pro canopy style hood with heat lamps.

Capital Performance Series PSVH

36" -60" wide 25" deep 600 or 1200cfm with infinite fan speed control.

18 guage 304 SS with seamless construction

o

i have a relatively high ceiling open kitchen where nothing is above the range.. so imo the canopy style or other pro looking hood doesn't really look that great (with a long duct extending out the canopy to the ceiling)

chimney style probably would look better

o

I have a Viking with heat lamp. I'd give a lot of thought to the idea of putting a 42" hood over a 36" range. While that may have some popularity in this forum it's a fairly unusual configuration and one you likely may not need with a range unless you are mounting a hood higher than normal. Cabinet placement could impact that as well.
Before you select an appropriate CFM consider having a qualified installer come look at your home.
The length of your exhaust run as well as the diameter of the exhaust and how many turns in the exhaust venting can have a dramatic impact on the CFM you need. Every 90 degree turn in your exhaust vent results in a substantial loss of CFM.
If you want quiet get the external blower. FWIW my Viking hood is now 12 years old and never a single problem. (knocks on wood)
Width is not nearly as important as depth (IMO) in your hood. Unfortunately you may have to go wide to get deep. :(
Enjoy the new kitchen!

o

Have you looked at Modern Aire? They have heat lamps, pot rails, contemporary hoods, inline, remote, silencers and can customize or build your dream hood.

From all of my research and in talking to Trevor and the local Bluestar rep, I plan to extend 3" on each side and go 27" deep for our range. I want the largest capture area possible and extended width helps with that.

Good luck with your decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Aire Accessories

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here