Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vent suggestions?

Posted by weimom (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 0:35

I have decided on the Wolf gas 36 inch cooktop and now need to decide on a hood for it. I really don't know much about vents, as I have had a downdraft in the past. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vent suggestions?

To make a long story short, the past posts have convinced me to buy a hood from ModernAire. Get one 6 inches wider than your stovetop; preferably 27 inches deep; total number of your stovetop's BTU divided by 100 to arrive at the CFM capacity; and avoid sharp turns in the ductwork.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and do a search on hood or vent and you will get more details explaining what you should buy than you can imagine!

o

Thanks Polie!

o

A remote blower can help lower the noise level, especially when it is variable sped and you are not using it at full power.

At full power almost any blower is going to make some noise.

o

Weimom,

Have the 36" Wolf DF.

Researched hoods to death, had tons of great help from GWers, and decided to go with Best by Broan 48" wide hood (the kind built into a custom wood cabinet hood), with in-line blower in the attic suspended in a "cage" type thing my cabinetmaker built. It's so quiet it's ridiculous. And it's gorgeous!!

Went with 48" b/c mine is a little higher above the cooktop than typical, so i wanted more capture. Turns out the more vents/fins result in quieter operation.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here