Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
learningguru

Smeg 36' dishwasher

Sherri Stein
13 years ago

Anyone have one? I can't find much in the way of reviews. I'm looking for a dishwasher that doesn't require bending over. I have severe arthritis in my back. So, some days I just can't bend. I was going to raise a regular dishwasher but it looks - yuck. I'm also looking 2 dish drawers on either side of my sink.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smeg 36 dishwasher

Comments (33)

• lee676
    13 years ago

> There is no room underneath the unit for anything

It sure looks to me like there's room for a 6" tall drawer underneath (36" wide, or perhaps two 18"w drawers), based on Smeg's own installation guide - see pages 66 and 78 from the document below (which is actually pages 12 & 24 of the installation guide, but that PDF combines the user's manual, installation guide, and some pictures into one document). The dishwasher is only 22 3/4" tall. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of that flip-out panel at the bottom in many of the pictures is, or if it's necessary in all installations.

Smeg 36"w Dishwasher Instruction and Installation Guide

I posted these in the Kitchens forum already but since they're more appropriate here:

{{gwi:1391394}}

{{gwi:1391395}}

{{gwi:1391396}}

Here's some reviews:

Homes and Garden Journal
    The Appliancist

It has alot of neat features- separate water pressure zones, interior illumination, built-in water softening, various anti-flood safety features, non-exposed water heating element, two orbital wash arms. Only 43db - should be quiet.

I'm considering one for the same reason. Holds about as much as a full-height 24"w dishwasher, or two 24"w dishdrawers, but you only need one. I may fall if I lean over too far to reach the lower rack.

Below is the user guide for the UK model, which is nearly identical except for electrical requirements (the British version is of course hotter and faster, U.S. is stuck with 120V/15A power which means more time at lower temperatures). But the rack shapes and such are the same, and it may have some views not in the U.S. manual, haven't compared them closely.

Smeg 36"w Dishwasher User Guide

• Sherri Stein
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ladies for the input. It sure is a beautiful machine! I'll go see it in person next week with my KD. I hope it fits the bill, because otherwise it's a dish drawer on either side of the sink.

• lee676
    13 years ago

> Thanks ladies for the input.

You're more than welcome, even though everyone who responded to your post is a dude....

Let us know what your impressions are. I'm considering one too, and no place near me has one on display.

• Sherri Stein
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gentlemen I truly apologize! I'll report back next week. The pictures are really amazing and this machine is a thing of beauty!

• Sherri Stein
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One of things that is so cool about the Smeg is it has it's own water softener! We have realllllly hard water - it'll be great not to have a white film and water spots all over my dishes and glassware. I can't wait to see this baby in action!

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Thanks Lee for linking this older thread! :)

I know this is over a year old, but I hope someone who actually installed and uses this Smeg dishwasher is still about.

I would greatly appreciate an update, a review, or any thoughts you have after having installed (any difficulties or special needs) and used (how does it really work, do you love, hate, or are indifferent about it). Have you had any problems with repairs, breaking, leaking, or any other concerns?

This dw seems perfect for creating my accessible/agng in place kitchen, so I'm hoping to hear from someone? anyone?

• lee676
    11 years ago

Results of a little sleuth work: since Smeg is far more popular in Europe than in the US, I thought I may have more luck looking for reviews from European sites (searching for "90cm dishwasher" rather than "36 inch dishwasher" helps too). So first I needed to find what the corresponding models, if there were any, are elsewhere in the world. It turns out the same basic dishwasher is sold in the UK as the DI697C, and in Australia as the STH903 and STH905. I found mostly positive reviews online, four of them between those two countries:

STH905 (Australia) - 2 reviews
    STH903 (Australia) - 1 review
    DI607C (UK) - 1 review

I also see that Choice magazine, an Australian counterpart to Consumer Reports, tested a STH903, but like CR only shows their test results online to paid subscribers, which you can become for 29 Australian dollars, or maybe you can find a friendly Australian who'll go to the library and send you a copy of their test results from their print magazine.

Also from Smeg's AU site, some more pictures of the rack:
    {{gwi:1391397}}
    {{gwi:1391398}}

{{gwi:1391399}}

....and of the double-jointed wash arm that allows the water to reach the left and right sides, which would be impossible with a standard rotating arm since the area it needs to reach is rectangular rather than square:

{{gwi:1391400}}

.... and this diagram which shows Smeg understands why it's much easier to use a dishwasher that doesn't need a bottom rack:
    {{gwi:1391402}}

• lee676
    11 years ago

So basically, two rows of glasses in front, with large plates on the right, smaller plates to the left (since the tines are more closely spaced), with the cutlery basket between them - although the cutlery basket can be placed at the far left or right as well. I can't tell whether the pegs/tines that hold the plates upright can be removed and relocated, so the more widely-spaced tines can be on the left rather than the right as this picture suggests. The folding cup racks at the sides of the rack look too high to allow most cups to fit, although this picture shows that is indeed what they're intended for.

Also, a link to the other thread in the Kitchens forum where we've been discussing this appliance:

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised DW thread in Kitchens forum

• eleena
    11 years ago

Thanks, Lee, for the info!

I am wondering if tall pots would fit in there. I have read the linked manual but it does not anything about it.

Does anyone know?

• eleena
    11 years ago

OK, the reviewers indicate that it can accommodate taller pots. IDK why I missed the links when I first read this thread. :-(

One thing I do not understand is that "skirt"/lower panel. What is the purpose of it? It seems to come open every time the DW is open. Does it support the door weight? Is it why another drawer cannot be installed under the DW even thought the DW is only 22" tall?

I think this is the DW I need. Please help!

• lee676
    11 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. I think it needs to drop and move out of the way to allow the door to open inwards a bit, so when the door is open it doesn't extend outward beyond the front edge of the rack when it's rolled out, so you can walk right up to it (or move a wheelchair alongside it). (look how far most open dishwasher doors stick out in front of the lower rack even when it's fully rolled out). Still it looks like they could have squeezed a 6" drawer underneath it had they designed it differently. The shorter-height F&P single-drawer DW has space for 2 drawers below it, or one deep drawer.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Should always check the manufacturer's documentation before posting..... you can indeed install a 7" tall drawer underneath the 36"w dishwasher and above the toekick. See diagram 02 and the side view diagram next to the Ergonomics heading on page 42 (labelled page 81 on the printed brochure, but it's p.42 of the PDF file.

36w dishwasher brochure

• lee676
    11 years ago

that's really clear, i know

• eleena
    11 years ago

None of the links to the SMEG site are working, though they did before. At least, those that I clicked on before.

It looks like they have removed the listing all together.

Lee, have you downloaded the brochure by any chance?

I wanted to clarify some details but I was not smart enough to save it and I cannot access it anymore.

TX!

• lee676
    11 years ago

GW seems to have corrupted my links - they're all still on Smeg's website. Try copying and pasting these links into your web browser:

Website page describing dishwasher:
    http://www.smegusa.com/product/sto905u/

US full line catalog, p.40-43 showing dishwasher and cutout dimensions, additional drawing on p.48 showing dimensions in metric (use these if possible for slightly more accurate cutouts)
    http://www.smegusa.com/smeg_us/docs/LineCatalogue.pdf

User guide (global) + Installation manual for STO905 US/Canadian model - at the very bottom of the installation manual there are several photos, including some with the lower panel partially open.
    http://www.smegtech.com/site/smeg/pdf_libretti/19590174201-GB.pdf

It looks like I was right about the lower panel lowering and jutting out some to make way for the bottom of the opened door to to cross inward beyond the plane of cabinet doors. Still, it seems there is room for a full-height drawer underneath it - the cutout is 33-7/8" wide x 22-13/16" tall, and the distance from the top of the usual 4" toekick to underneath the usually 1-1/2" thick counterop is about 30", making the top of the counterop 36" high. That leaves room for a full-height (roughly 6" tall) drawer beneath the 36"w dishwasher. The lower panel's movement when opened may also allow it to clear any handles or knobs on that drawer.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Interesting.

I used the Search box on their website for STO905U and it came up with nothing.

Thanks a lot!

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

Did anyone get the Smeg raised dish-washer in the end? It's such a sensible solution, can't think why any of the big names in mid-range N American appliance manufacturing have come up with something similar, given the aging baby boomers.

Oh, that's right, too many N American appliance manufacturers have their heads stuck in the sand, and their bahookies firmly stuck in the dark ages.....

• xedos
    11 years ago

WNM - domestic manuf. have had a solution like this for about 10 years now.

It's called a dishdrawer, single or double models are available. They are 24" wide and 24" deep which makes the physics of washing less complicated than that funky arm arrangement in the SMEG.

Also - that xtra 12" of width becomes an ergonomic liability as you are now reaching over the std. 24" to get to the xtra space.

It's a clever idea, and great that we have choices - but this WILL NOT CATCH ON because it doesn't make sense !

The 36" width is also a design liability in most kitchens too.

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

Sounds interesting, xedos: any chance you could add a link to the d/w you're talking about, pretty please?

• xedos
    11 years ago

WNM - google : single dishdrawer - and you'll have plenty of material.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Fisher & Paykel offers a 36"-wide single-drawer model, as well as 24"-wide single- and double-drawer units.

The 24" drawer units have been on the U.S. market since 1997, nearly 16 years.

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

xedos - ok, I admit, it is the dumbest user name: I just spent 2 minutes googling "wnm single dishdrawer" - to no avail. Doh, lol.

I thought WNM was a brand I hadn't heard of....

• xedos
    11 years ago

lol - gw'ers are a funny bunch.

Fisher Paykel is the brand name that started or rather solidified the category. They license a few other manuf. and there are some copies on the market too.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Drawer dishwasher history:

The only drawer dishwashers currently on the U.S. market are Fisher & Paykel ... either their name-brand or DCS which is owned by them.

The first-generation KitchenAid drawer units (KUDD01) were rebadged F&P.

2nd-generation KitchenAid drawers (KUDD03, there was no KUDD02 series) were *not* F&P. They were a different design developed by Maytag, which Whirlpool obtained when they bought the Maytag company. Fulgor manufactured them for Whirlpool.

Drawer units were also sold under the Kenmore Elite and Maytag brands, which were always the Maytag design. Never F&P.

KitchenAid drawer units on the *European* market were still sourced from F&P last I checked, don't know if that's still the case.

• Why_not_me
    11 years ago

dadoes - I take that all to mean that one should seek out, and stick to, drawer dishwashers with the Fisher & Paykel badge only, then?

Or were they made to the same specs no matter which label they had?

• dadoes
    11 years ago

As I said above, the only units on the U.S. market now are F&P or DCS, which are the same design so makes no difference which.

• lee676
    11 years ago

> Also - that xtra 12" of width becomes an ergonomic liability as you are now reaching over the std. 24" to get to the xtra space.

The intent is that you position yourself *in front* of the dishwasher whist unloading, not reach over 3 feet from the side. That's why it has that pivoting lower panel that allows the door to jut inward as it opens, so the rack can roll all the way out to the very edge of the open door. With most dishwashers, even a fully extended lower rack still stops about a foot short of the front.

At least based on how it appears in photos, the Smeg rack seems easier to load and unload for someone with physical disabilities or in a wheelchair than the F&P 36"w single drawer, although it's still a much easier reach than the lower rack in a conventional dishwasher. I didn't buy the Smeg - won't easily fit in my narrow kitchen, but I'm wouldn't mind picking up one from that new lot being auctioned off on eBay at low prices to keep as a spare for my next home. I know with my problem back I'll need it someday, and it will be hard to find if I wait until then.

• xedos
    11 years ago

so, let me get this straight - you're going to do your business with the plate or glass or cutlery piece standing in front of the sink like normal - then walk around the door to stand in front of the dishwasher to load said item , then walk back to the orig. position in front of the sink again ???

Uh, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !

Even worse for someone in a wheel chair.

Silly Italians. looks fab, works like a square wheel.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Looks like it's discontinued, too.

• ae2ga
    10 years ago

Fisher and Paykel offers a 36" single drawer dishwasher.

Here is a link that might be useful: 36

• xedos
    10 years ago

36" is simply a poor choice for a DW width in 99% of kitchens.

One cannot reach the xtra 12" of width standing beside it and in front of a sink. Want to replace it cause it breaks, you just don't like it, F&P treats you badly , or you want to sell your house ?

You'll have ZERO choice , but to get the same thing from FP as no one else is going to make this size. Dacor tried to introduce a 30" DW almost ten years ago and it was a flop. Granted , size was not it's only liability. But, all the big players decided to pass on this "new market".

• lee676
    10 years ago

> Looks like it's discontinued, too.

I think it has been (in the US anyway; it's still made for other markets), but a whole bunch of new Smeg 36"w dishwashers are being unloaded on the ebay at bargain prices, like 20-25% what they originally cost.

I almost bought one but there just wasn't the width in any kitchen I've worked on recently. Went with a Miele 3-rack instead, configured so the lower rack holds glasses and mugs (including some accessory Miele inserts) and the upper tray at it's lower position for dinner plates and larger/heavier items.

• xedos
    10 years ago

" but there just wasn't the width in any kitchen I've worked on recently. "

........see