Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeboo_gw

Kitchen Aid stove knob sensitivity

teeboo
10 years ago

Have purchased a KA slide in stove w knobs on the front of the stove

I have never had a stove with such sensitive knobs

If you lean on the knobs to clean or back up to stove to talk, the knobs turn on from the slightest pressure. I mean the eyes get hot fast

This is a rental, and I am very concerned for the safety of my guest

Talked with a friend that bought a samsung stove and she said her stove knobs were just as sensitive

Do you know of anything that I can do to prevent this from happening?

Do you know of any product that I can put on stove knobs to prevent them turning on so easily

I know I can purchase baby proof gadgets but would prefer something else if possible

Comments (61)

• metuka11
    3 years ago

im having the same issue with KA- my tshirt caught on fire and My hand literally burned touching the knobs while baking

• Judi Volle
    3 years ago

I have had problems with my KA gas slide in range with knobs being turned on. I am usually here to catch it, but other night came home to house smelling of gas, found my husband asleep and two knobs turned on. I tried calling kitchenaid, the store that they were purchased from and got no where. Also trying to find safety knobs. Does anyone know of a place to get them for model KSGG700ESSO. Any other options?

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Following..daughter has same problem, same range. Anyone?

• Lori
    3 years ago

I have the same problem with a Kitchenaid in a townhome we just purchased. I don’t want to replace as the range was part of a 3 appliance bundle just installed in the townhome about a year before we purchased and we love the fridge and dishwasher. Plus, from what I’ve found in researching the issue, the KA is not the only brand with the issue. In researching the issue, I found this site. I haven’t ordered yet, but plan on doing so after some remodeling that is underway is complete. https://www.rangesafe.com

• Karen D
    3 years ago

I found a suggestion on another forum (I wish I knew which) that suggested buying a specific size rubber washer/gasket and inserting it behind the knobs. I did this - cost around $2 - and it worked perfectly! You now have to press in harder to turn on the stove. The burners no longer are activated when I lean against the stove.

What was recommended and I ended up buying was pretty thick. For some if the burners I cut it in half, creating two thinner washers (scissors worked great).

• Glenn Robinson
    3 years ago

I too, have found my husband nearly gassed by the evil KA slide in I used to love. It’s really criminal how easily these knobs can be turned on. Seems a good stiff breeze would just about do it. It’s unconscionable that KA continues to sell ranges that have this problem. It would be ludicrous for them to deny they knew about it and one day it will bite them in the ass. They will be sitting in a courtroom with a grieving widow or mother as an angry jury hands down a $500M verdict and their stock enters a free-fall. With the right publicity, they could even be forced out of business. I hope I live that long.

GREAT suggestion about using rubber washers/gaskets. That‘s what they be kicking themselves over...”and to think, all we had to do was send a .50 washer to all registered users...” The problem with burying your head in the sand is that you can’t see what’s coming until it’s too late.

• mbmordecai
    3 years ago

We have the same problem. Have had the KA for just over a year and it didn't seem to happen at first but now happens more often. Could someone be more specific about the gaskets you used? Thanks

• Karen D
    3 years ago

I found the original post that had the exact size that worked for me!

I went to Home Depot and bought 9/32 inch neoprene grommets. Like I said above, some I inserted whole but some I needed to cut in half because they were too thick.

Super cheap and very easy solution to the problem of the knobs turning too easily.

• Tara Kelly
    3 years ago

We are having the same issue with our kitchen aid slide in gas range. Knobs turn on with a simple touch. I contacted kitchen aid I was told there was nothing they could do nor could they replace the stove.

It’s a safety issue I think they need to be more concerned about the safety of their product.

Does anyone know who we contact to reprint these issues?

maybe start a petition?

• Karen D
    3 years ago

Consumer product safety commission maybe?

• Karen D
    3 years ago

Here's a link to where we can make a complaint. Maybe if enough of us say something Kitchenaid and other manufacturers will be required to correct these safety issues. Apparently it's a problem with other stoves as well. https://www.saferproducts.gov//

• Lori
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Karen-would you please post a picture of your knobs with the grommets? This would obviously be a lot cheaper than the knobs I was going to order from RangeSafe, but I am curious how they look. I know I should be more concerned about safety, but I’m a little OCD that way. 😊

• J Burns
    3 years ago

You guys, I have a new kitchenaid slide in gas range that I complained about the same issue. Can’t believe I didn’t notice the start but says press and hold to lock. It worked. Problem solved. 👩‍🍳 This is for those with newer models who searched for a solution without reading instructions like me. 🤣

• Karen D
    3 years ago

Lori,

Sorry I didn't see your comment. Here's what my knobs look like with the grommets. You can't tell there's anything behind them. The 2nd pic is the grommets in place.

• Karen D
    3 years ago

• Karen D
    3 years ago

• vicki newton
    2 years ago

Thanks, Karen, for your photos! This suggestion really helped me. Going to buy some gaskets and hopefully solve the problem. Those knobs are awful.

• HU-435258487
    2 years ago

I just now held the start button down for and locked the controls. While it did keep me from operating the oven I can still use the burners. So, it doesn’t resolve my problem. I have accidentally left the gas on twice now.

• Lori
    2 years ago

So sad. Mine locks everything.

• J Burns
    2 years ago

The hold and lock button does allow you to still use the burners but you must first push in then turn to ignite. You do have to make sure all knobs are in off position but rubbing against them shouldn’t turn them on . You must be pressing them in somehow.

• afshooo
    2 years ago

Is this for the KA range only or does it work for the gas range too as well?

• jp54321
    2 years ago

I have had the same issue - I lean against the KA range to clean the microwave above it, and one of the knobs presses in and turns on the gas. This has happened many times (I have had the range for 2 years) and once the gas was on all night. I called KA last March, and they sent me new knobs. Problem is, they are the same knobs. I called again and finally got through to the correct department. They are sending a service company today to inspect the range and report on the problem. I am very unhappy about this safety hazard and want it fixed.

• Lori
    2 years ago

There must be something wrong with yours. While the lock does not lock my knobs, it does require that the knob be pushed in and turned while holding it in so I haven’t had anymore issues with accidentally turning the gas on.

• jp54321
    2 years ago

Lori, just leaning against the knob pushes it in, and as I'm moving the knob turns and the gas comes on. The service person was here and claims this is functioning normally. He recommends getting a childproof mechanism that prevents the knob from being easily pushed in.

• Lori
    2 years ago

Well that sucks.

• HU-101326441
    2 years ago

I am amazed/perplexed the problem with the the knobs has not been fixed. This is a SAFETY issue. Hubby leaned against my new KA gas range, woke up to find the gas smell. My knobs do not require pushing in to activate, which is a safety feature on gas grills. I will try the gasket/grommet method suggested by others. There should be something KA provides to prevent this from happening or FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

• Gerry
    2 years ago

I have a Frigidaire slide in range and I turn it on with my belly, every time I reach into the cabinet above the stove. I’ll try the gasket hint mentioned in earlier comments.

• HU-754994528
    last year

BEWARE SERIOUS FIRE HAZZARD! i have a Kitchen aid slide in range and over the last 10 years people have accidentally lightly grazed the element knobs and turned it on by mistake, literally HUNDREDS OF TIMES—family members, guests, contractors, maids and even the dog! we dont have small children but god forbid. i worry about this all the time as several people have been burned and dishes left on the stove top have heated up and exploded. these knobs are way too sensitive. such a careless design flaw. there needs to be a lock feature. im finally getting rid of this stove so i can sleep at night. called whirlpool/kitchen aid and they advised me to be careful. NEGLIGENT DESIGN FLAW.

• Karen D
    last year

I can attest to the grommet modification working to solve the knob problem. The cost is less than $2 (depending on the price for a single bag of grommets.

Here's a copy of my posts from above with the information...

I found a suggestion on another forum (I wish I knew which) that suggested buying a specific size rubber washer/gasket and inserting it behind the knobs. I did this - cost around $2 - and it worked perfectly! You now have to press in harder to turn on the stove. The burners no longer are activated when I lean against the stove.

What was recommended and I ended up buying was pretty thick. For some if the burners I cut it in half, creating two thinner washers (scissors worked great).

I went to Home Depot and bought 9/32 inch neoprene grommets. Like I said above, some I inserted whole but some I needed to cut in half because they were too thick.

Super cheap and very easy solution to the problem of the knobs turning too easily.

• HU-754994528
    last year

I did see several suggestions in this thread about the grommet modifcation thank you. unfortunately that will not work for me because 2 of my knobs snappped off over the years and i had to glue them on with apoxy. the knobs can no longer be removed so it would be difficult to put grommets on.

• Help Me
    last year

I have the same problem. Tech told me to remove the knobs when I have company. This is silly. I was offered a buy back and I have 30 days to decide...it took longer to find this stove. Told Safety Dept that the knobs work the way they were designed to work and the design is dangerous. I also asked if I was the only person to complain about this issue and was told that no other calls stand out. Really?!?!?! I am off to buy grommets next. All of you ...BE SAFE!!!

• dadoes
    last year

@HU754994528,

Gluing the knobs on was a bad move. It'll be impossible to change those control switches if that becomes necessary due to a failure unless the knobs are cut or broken off at the shafts, and then the knobs will be unusable on the replacement control.

• Help Me
    last year

Thanks for the grommet idea...I think they are working

• Karen D
    last year

So glad it's working for you!

• HU-609465673
    last year

If anyone else is looking for a child proof solution (cover + locking mechanism) I had these custom made for mine :

I can provide contact details if there is interest. My range top model numer is kcgc506jss.

• Nan Thomas
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've had my KitchenAid gas range for about 18 months and have suffered the same hair-trigger dials for turning on the burners. I read on this page about getting a washer to put behind the knobs. I went to Home Depot and bought a washer with a 1/4 inch opening. This size washer seemed to get twisted behind the knob, so I went back today about bought ones with a 5/16 inch opening. These seem to work better and definitely holds the knob in place.

$.65 * 5 washers = $3.25 fix.

• Melissa H
    8 months ago

does anyone know what child safety knob works with the KA knobs

• Marie
    6 months ago

I have the same problem, its many years since the first post but issue still not solved kA told me it was user error and they have never heard of this

• Lori
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I would like to update my comment. While locking it does lock the oven and somewhat makes it a little harder to accidentally turn on the burners, it is still prone to turning on when cleaning or if you push against it when reaching to the cabinet above the range. There have been several times when we have walked into the kitchen to be met with the smell of gas to find a knob that was turned just a little bit--never enough for a flame but definitely emitting gas. Unbelievable that KA is denying ever hearing about this problem.

• tdotto
    4 months ago

Just purchased an expensive KA range top (commercial style) and within 1 month, the knob has accidentally turned on 5 to 6 times. Sometimes, its just gas and no flame and sometimes full on flame. Either way, this is quite disturbing and obviously dangerous situation. I will head over to Home Depot to buy 5/16 or 9/32 grommet or washer as suggested by Karen and many others. However, its December 2023 and this issue still persists. Can we get some petition and send to KA?

• Jen Wade
    3 months ago

We have had this problem for the past year and a half that we have been in our new house. My dog has turned the burner on counter surfing, a friend brushed by it and caught a cutting board on fire once. It's happened countless times. We always catch it and turn it back off. Last night it somehow got turned on, and no one was aware. Either by the dog or my husband or myself cleaning up after dinner. Woke up this morning to the back left burner (the one that is never used) being on HIGH under a cast iron dutch oven full of oil from frying fish the night before. Thank God, the lid was on the dutch oven because we went to bed and didn't realize this until 9 hours later. As soon as my husband took the lid off, the entire house filled with smoke. This was by far the scariest incident, and we are still shook up thinking what could have happened. I called KitchenAid to complain and see if there was an aftermarket fix for this after I found this thread with complaints going back 9 years. The first lady seemed like she had heard this complaint and transferred me to parts/sales. Parts/sales didn't know what I was talking about and transferred me to repairs. After 45 minutes of being on hold, I had to hang up because I was at work. I will be calling back. This is definitely a safety issue. I thought we could live with it, but not now. Too close of a call. I will sign a petition if there is one!

• tlv md
    2 months ago

I bought the KitchenAid slide-in gas stove (Model: KSGG700ESS) back in 12/21, and we have had the same issue at least 7 to 8 times now where we didn’t realize we slightly touched the knobs causing the gas to turn on (no flame so no clicking or warning sound that the knob moved). We had two terrifying incidents where it was on all night, and woke up to the smell of gas. And when the dogs were home by themselves for a few hours. It happened again last week, and I should have searched Google a long time ago to see if others were having the same problem. Looks like many people are experiencing the same issue.

I don’t think I can paste in a link, but search “Whirlpool Fined $11.5M for Failing to Notify of Faulty Cooktops” (August 29, 2023 article) and “Multiple lawsuits claim certain stove knobs turn on too easily” (October 24, 2022 TV news coverage-warning their site is full of ads). It is a known problem where gas knobs are faulty and turn on too easily. I will 1) file an official complaint with KitchenAid, 2) send the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) this thread to make them aware the ongoing problem, and 3) start posting reviews everywhere I can with these links so l that another family isn’t put in harms way. Hope others will do the same and any new person that comes across this thread or product review.

This is a serious safety issue AND IS NOT user error. A gas stove should not leak gas when you slightly brush against the knobs without ever pushing down on them. It’s extremely unfortunate that we have to go buy rubber grommet washers or lock our stoves to make it safe to use; especially for an $1800+ gas range.

• HU-609465673
    2 months ago

I had custom locking covers created for my rangetop to address this serious problem. I worked with a contractor to create these safety covers using a 3D printer to fit my rangetop model as I did not find anything online that would address this properly. They work the same way as a medicine bottle is designed to align the unlock position to remove the cap.

Hopefully this will help someone be able to create one for themselves.

• Dorothy Junio
    2 months ago

Can you tell me who you got these from? Thank you

• Christina C
    2 months ago

HU-609465673 can you save the print info for these someplace and provide a link or post thrthe info here?

• HU-609465673
    2 months ago

I had the knob covers custom made for my rangetop at a local 3D printing company so they may not fit your appliance depending on the model that you have. I would suggest looking at 3D printing services in your area to also come up with a custom solution for your appliance to ensure it will fit and work properly. @Christina C I will ask my contractor if they can provide these files.

• Christina C
    2 months ago

Thanks @HU-609465673. For what it's worth, this is the one I have KSDG950ESS.

• Sue Wilterink
    2 months ago

I am absolutely mortified that so many people have had this same issue! Just lightly brushing those knobs has turned them enough to let the natural gas leak out without warning. I just submitted a request for a recall or fix… now I’m thinking they won’t be so helpful. Perhaps our attorney general Dayna Nessel will add some pressure?

• PRO
    Richard Kennemer
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Edited to add, I have no experience with Kitchen Aid products specifically, and I'm not referring to KA products in particular with my information below. When I say "this is an intentional design feature" I am applying that statement to a wide number of manufacturers and not just Kitchen Aid.

I found this discussion because I'm specifically looking for information about stove knobs that can be adjusted for tension, or are extremely easy to manipulate. While this discussion mostly complains about how easy these knobs are to turn on, and even criminally so, what I didn't see anyone mention is that this is an intentional design that is made that way to be in accordance with ADA regulations. Per those regulations:

In the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design, it states:

309.4 Operation. Operable parts shall be operable with one hand and shall not require tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist. The force required to activate operable parts shall be 5 pounds (22.2 N) maximum.

They literally want the knobs to be so easy to manipulate (under 5lbs of force required) so that people with disabilities can use these stoves easily even if they might be missing their hands and only have nubs to grasp the control knob with.

My advice to people in this thread, or future people that might find this thread when doing research looking for the right stove for themselves, is to check the specifications on the product webpage and see if it is labeled as "ADA compliant". If it is, and if it has knobs like this, then it's very likely that those knobs are going to be super easy to turn on and manipulate. If you don't want that feature, then you might opt for a non-ADA compliant stove that isn't designed the same.

I might use some of the stoves that are mentioned in this thread as examples of stoves that may be suitable for our disabled clients! Thanks for the resources!