Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Profile Gas on Glass Range Opinions Needed

Posted by NYC-Guy (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 23:54

Hello everyone, first post ever!

I'm shopping for our first kitchen reno and drowning a little in the sheer number of options, but I think we've decided on the GE Profile line (except for the D/W).

Does anyone have any experience with the GE Profile Gas on Glass range PGS968SEPSS?
I like the look and how easy it will be to clean, but the salesperson I am dealing with is steering me away from it as he claims it is not difficult to break the glass top. Is he being paranoid or is this a legitimate concern? The stainless top will be so much hard to keep clean and it looks like I would have to switch to the black model (which I don't want to do) to get the black enamel top.

Thanks Everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Profile Gas on Glass Range Opinions Needed

I don't have your unit. I have a KA with gas on glass in white. I have a couple of thoughts. It is generally easy to clean. However since you are comparing it with stainless, I assume you mean a similar flat top burner layout that should also be easy to clean. It has held up ok for 5 years. I have used a heavy canner on the large burner. The reflected high heat from this burner has caused some discoloration. I can imagine that this might not happen with stainless, but I have never had stainless.

Since it looks so clean, the small ring of crud that forms at the burner/surface interface is obvious enough to require occasional removal of burner heads. This requires a torex head screwdriver for the KA. And speaking of KA/Whirlpool, the morons didn't use stainless screws and I am going to have to drill one pair out because they are rusted on.

I can imagine a breakage scenario. I store cast iron griddles above my double wall ovens and I managed to drop one 3 feet onto my open oven door. Fortunately it only put a nice dent into the inner door frame rather than smashing through the glass window. My burners are on an island so I shouldn't be able to duplicate that screw up over the cook top. A range with a hood would probably be similarly protected from that maneuver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here