Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklahomarose

Help me date my vintage stove? (cross-post)

oklahomarose
11 years ago

Hi, folks. I posted this on the Kitchens forum but thought I would post it here, too. Maybe revive an ode to vintage stoves.....original post below.

Hi, everyone. I was reading an old thread on people's (gorgeous) vintage stoves and decided to ask for help with mine. I bought a totally trashed duplex three months ago (great bones, great neighborhood). We have renovated it beautifully, but the one thing we did not touch was the old Frigidaire stove we found on one side. I hope to move it home to my house one day, but for now I am letting tenants enjoy it. Does anyone have a stove like this? Know how old it is? It's electric. The left rear burner is a storage space for pots (the pots are still in it!) The right door is the oven. The left door is storage. The clock is loud and charming (I hope the tenants think so!), and keeps great time. If the picture did not load then I goofed up. Any and all thoughts--welcome.

Comments (9)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Whoa. Gorgeous. Looks to be a 1950's. Here is a link to 1947 model and I'd say yours is definitely newer than this one. Close, but the handles differ, etc. Do you have the pot insert for the deep well? Pretty nifty!

I have a vintage Chambers and I really love it.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

OklahomaRose,

The people at AutomaticWasher.org may be able to date your range. Several people there are experts on Frigidaire history. A better pic of the control panel and/or a pic of the model/serial label would probably be helpful. I'd guess it's sometime in the early- to mid-1950s.

The left-rear burner is not for pot storage. I believe it's a deep-well cooker. There should be a burner element in it that can be raised to surface-level for normal pots/pans, or lowered to the bottom of the cavity to accommodate a deeper pot that's included with the range for stews, soups, or deep-frying.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Good grief. Didn't notice this was a x post nor did I put in the link.

Sorry. A search will be easy, though.

• oklahomarose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deedles and Dadoes, THANK YOU. I feel like an idiot for assuming the left rear burner was a place to hold pots! Do either of you know what the left front door was for? Is it indeed storage? Someone suggested it's another oven, but it seems to be just an empty nook. (Which is fine.) I'm glad to hear that it's as old as it is! I just want to put my arms around it and hug it. That is the effect it has on me. I will contact the folks that were suggested to narrow down the date. I feel obsessed with getting the date right. She is a lovely old girl.

• deedles
    11 years ago

On my Chambers stove the littler door is a storage spot and also access to some of the tubes etc.

If you don't see a burner or heating element or a knob for that matter, it's most likely a storage spot.

I didn't mean that the back burner was for pot storage, I was asking you if you had the pot that was made to fit in there and be cooked in. My DH said they used to have an electric like yours and indeed the burner in the deep well could be raised up like a conventional burner or lowered to cook in the deep well mode. They included the pot for that when you bought the range new back then.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Here is a link to a close up of the deep well.

Here is a link that might be useful: deep well

• deedles
    11 years ago

Could be storage or another oven? I've seen both things mentioned in different websites.

Here is a link that might be useful: frigidaire stove

This post was edited by deedles on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 21:24

• oklahomarose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Deedles: I DO have the deep pot in the well. I really want to move it home because I doubt that my tenant will ever put this stove to proper use, but it looks so adorable in its present place. It really fits the kitchen.......I'll have to think it over. Thanks for the help.

• oklahomarose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From the context of the ads, I think the left door's technical name (the empty drawer) would be "warming drawer".........???? People must have put their food in their while waiting to serve dinner. And then the long narrow drawer on the bottom would be for pots. That seems to make sense.