Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaylabird_gw

Yet another Gaggenau vs. Miele steam oven question....

chaylabird
14 years ago

Thanks to the incredible, invaluable information I have gathered on this forum I am slowly but surely narrowing down my appliance decisons for our new construction! I want a steam oven and I had my heart set on the Gaggenau. until I saw it retail for $7,689 at our local appliance store! I'm trying to see what I would be getting for that $! I understand that the Gaggenau Steam is a "combi" meaning it will perform more "traditional" oven functions than the Miele version. And (again thanks to everyone's really helpful posts) I finally get the difference between "plumbed" and "pan". I guess my question is this: when doing something like roasting a chicken in the Gaggenau is the steam function utilized? That is are the steam and other functions totally separate on the Gaggenau or will the steam help my dry chicken be more palatable to my kids?

And, has anyone bought a big ticket item like the Gaggenau on ebay? I saw one for $2,000 which would obviously be a huge savings. I'm a huge ebay/thrift store gal but even though the listing says NIB and that the unit has a warranty I must admit I'm a bit skeptical..

Comments (21)

• cheri127
    14 years ago

I bought 3 Gaggenau ovens on ebay, all discontinued. I couldn't use the 27" double oven so sold it on Craig's List and the young couple who bought it were thrilled and have since contacted me to say they love it. I also got the old style 24" combi and matching wall oven. I called Gaggenau before making the purchase and they told be the warranty began the day of installation. Both ovens sat in my garage for 6 months. I didn't use the steam oven for several months after it was installed, and when I did, I got an error code after calibration. Called a service tech, he came out and told me it was installed incorrectly. Had plumber fix the drain and it works great now. The service tech's call was covered under warranty so I didn't have to pay and he registered the appliance with Gaggenau as just installed. I could never have bought these ovens if I hadn't gotten such a great deal on them. Oh, the double oven arrived with a gash in the trim and that too was replaced no problem, under warranty.

• chaylabird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow cheril27 -

That is great to hear and really helpful - especially since we are probably a year away from installing our ovens. Thanks so much for sharing. Are you enjoying the ovens now?

• heide08
    14 years ago

I got a discontinued combisteam from Markdown Madness on ebay. Last May. It's still in my living room, as our reno is behind schedule. It is 24" aluminum. (the size I wanted). I paid like 1600. I was very pleased with markdown madness (altho i feel bad as I dn put any feedback on ebay)

That was the only way I could afford the combi steam which all, including my friend nearby, love. He bought his btw as floor model and saved, too. (but not as much as I did)

cheril27, if what you say about the warranty is true I'm sort of excited. I just assumed I forewent the warranty by not installing immediately. Now I'm looking for Gagg installer in Philly.

Since I haven't used mine yet I'll leave the cooking questions to others.

Good luck in your "process" Heide

• plllog
    14 years ago

I haven't gotten to use my ovens yet--I have the Gaggenau--so I can't answer directly. The Gaggenau allows you to use 0% steam, i.e., oven only, 30%, 60%, 80% or 100% steam with any oven temperature. There's also a misting feature to increase steaminess and a steam clearing feature which uses cold water to make the steam condense and flow away.

As I understand it (though I haven't read the manual for more than a year), the Miele available in N. America is 100% steam and doesn't have a separate temperature adjustment.

I'm not sure what your kids don't like about your chicken, though. Most kids like chicken. A little steam could give you a crisper skin, but you don't need a steam oven for that. You can put a little dish of water in a regular oven. My favorite way to make a chicken is on a vertical roaster with a well in the middle. Basically, a fancy ladylike version of beer can chicken. You put some wine (or beer, or juice, or even water) in the can or well, maybe add some fresh herbs, set the chicken over it to roast. I also usually sprinkle the chicken, inside and out, with a seasoning blend like lemon pepper. It's really easy! If you use a can, put it in a shallow pan to catch the drippings.

Be careful on the cooking time. You don't want to undercook, but over cooked is gummy and the kids won't like it. The probe on a new oven will help, but you can also put a meat thermometer in the meatiest part of the thigh, without touching the bone, to confirm doneness.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

Heidi, Gaggenau told me they don't have authorized installers but that the ovens did have to be professionally installed and to keep the invoice as verification. I live a minute outside the city and can recommend a great guy to you. Email me if you want his name and number. Btw, you got an amazing deal on your oven. Ours was $2200 and I thought that was great.

Chaylabird, both ovens are great but I haven't used the steam oven much yet. I've cooked rice, steamed vegetables and roasted chicken. The chicken was interesting. The skin was crispy and the meat was moist but I think I like dry roasted better. I have to try it again before I can say for sure, but the moistness seemed more watery than juicy. Others here are very happy with their roast results so maybe it's just me. We'll see. Oh, and it really does a wonderful job reheating food; tastes like it was just cooked.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

cheri27,
    I thought the Gagg warranty was from purchase, not installation. GLad to hear that I am wrong. Did Gagg also ask your for your receipt form the vendor, or did you just have it registered by the professional installers? Did Gagg require that you purchase it from an authorized vendor, or just that the units were new? I also purchased the older model steam oven from Markdown Madness on Ebay and they say they are an authorized vendor but mine won't be installed for another 6 months so it would be great if the warranty began on install.

FYI for Wolf and Subzero the warranties definitely start from installation, and with Wolf the full warranty holds even for display models. I wonder if that is the same for Gagg? DOes anyone know? Thanks!

• cheri127
    14 years ago

The installer will probably register the oven when he/she does the installation and that's when the warranty begins.. My GC installed the ovens after I told him not to (wanted to charge me huge fee!!!) but when the service tech came out, he called it in as if it were just installed. The tech didn't ask for a receipt because he was acting as if he were the installer....real nice guy; I've used him for other repairs and he's the one who came out to fix the trim on the double ovens. If you're nervous, you can get the serial number from the seller and call Gaggenau to be sure the oven hadn't been registered before. Good luck.

• cheri127
    14 years ago

The installer will probably register the oven when he/she does the installation and that's when the warranty begins.. My GC installed the ovens after I told him not to (wanted to charge me huge fee!!!) but when the service tech came out, he called it in as if it were just installed. The tech didn't ask for a receipt because he was acting as if he were the installer....real nice guy; I've used him for other repairs and he's the one who came out to fix the trim on the double ovens. If you're nervous, you can get the serial number from the seller and call Gaggenau to be sure the oven hadn't been registered before. Good luck.

• chaylabird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input - it's really helpful to get a better idea of how/why/when a particular item's warranty clock starts running. We remodeled our current home 8 years ago and bought the majority of our appliances from nearby ABT electronics which is something like the disney world of electronics! They have amazing customer service and because of the size of order they included a 5 year extended warranty. I'm hoping to do the same thing this time but I might make an exception to get a reasonable Gagg combi!

plllog - thanks for chicken suggestion - I'm going to try it. My kids do like chicken - just only when it's moist. I tend to cook most meals on the stove top so my oven is mostly used for baking. I do broil a fair amount and make briskets but I'm really looking to step it up. I love the steam oven's capacity to reheat and do rice, etc. If items like turkey and pot roast can be made more juicy I think I would defintitely take the Gagenau over the Mile but your comment about "watery" vs. "juicy" is making me think...

Heide - I'm originally from Philly but I live in Chicago now - hope your oven leaves your living room sooner rather than later!

• cheri127
    14 years ago

Chaylabird, my kids are the opposite, they hate moist chicken and turkey and are always disappointed when I don't overcook it hahahahahaha. The best thing about the Gagg, as Plllog mentioned, is that it can be used as a regular oven, not just steam. If you do get it, consider ordering some half size pans to go with it. Gizmonike made this suggestion and I'm so glad she did. They're pricey but worth it. I think I got them from Universal (or AJ Madison?) and they took forever to get here. They are listed as accessories for the new model but fit into the old one too.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I think the low amount of drippings might be because of the moisture. I find that even in a gas oven. The skin crisps up more, faster, and keeps the juices inside. If you really want drippings, you could probably make some slits, but then you wouldn't have the juice on the inside...

• cheri127
    14 years ago

That's funny because I had a lot of drippings. Maybe I overcooked the chicken and that's why I got the results I did (didn't use the probe). I'll definitely try this again and see how it goes. I concur with Red Lover that the oven preheats in no time. Thanks for the tip on small cookie sheets.

• ILoveRed
    14 years ago

I always use my probe on my meat, but I am so paranoid that after I remove my meat from my oven I check it again with my regular meat thermometer. It (the probe) has only been off once or twice. Went off a little sooner than it should have.

The small cookie sheets were a find, because they are also the perfect size for the small oven in my 48" range if anyone is looking for cookie sheets that will fit in lengthwise into these ovens.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

redlover, can you post a link to those cookie sheets, or give the size of them?
    thanks!

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

redlover, I went looking on qvc. Is it this item by chance? Not meaning to go off-topic, but I'd really like to find these small pans that you mentioned. thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: quarter size cookie sheets?

• ILoveRed
    14 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Just checked QVC and the pans I have are no longer available (Technique brand). But they are 9 X 13, so I think the one scrappy linked would work just great since it is also 9 X 13.

As a matter of fact it might be a nicer pan. Mine had a silicone sheet which I never use. Not even sure where they are.

• canyonhome
    14 years ago

I just purchased a Miele 4080 display model for about 1/2 what the new 4082's are selling for. I see a Miele DG155 for about $1300 on eBay, and I offered I think $775 as a "Best Offer" and they countered at $960 but I went with the 4082 for a little more for local support and the new technology.

I plan to steam veggies, and maybe use it for reheating, but otherwise I don't know what else I'll use it for (I like chicken/fish on the grill).

• judyko_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I wondered if anyone has thought about the plastic pan used to heat the water in the miele, thermador , and all the steam ovens with a water tank.

Thank can't be healthy to heat plastic that hot and have it mingled with the food. Does anyone know anything about how it's done?

I love the multifunctions and preset buttons of the theramador but after I found out about the water tank is made out of plastic, only choice left seems to be the gaggenau.

I would love to hear others thoughts on this matter

• AK
    4 years ago

(Cross-posted in other Miele Steam Oven threads)

We bought a Miele DGC 6800 XL Combination Steam Oven (non-plumbed) and a few months later on a whim descaled the unit. Right after the descaling process, my Miele steam oven gives me a 'Fault 20' whenever I try to do steam cooking. The regular convection cooking works fine. Expected more from Miele. I wish I had bought something else!

It's out of warranty even though we probably used it about 20 times. Now Miele is asking for $150 for a technician to come out and pay an additional $90/hr for labor + $ for parts!

• M
    4 years ago

If you cross-post, can you please also post a link to the one location that you want the discussion to happen at. It's not very helpful to spread this out over half a dozen tangentially related threads.

I suggest linking to here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5851297/fault-20-on-miele-combination-steam-oven-dgc-6800-xl-cross-posted