Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindy35_gw

Miele Coffee System - Fix it or Replace it??

mindy35
13 years ago

I have one of the earlier Miele Coffee Systems - CVA610 ( 8-9 years old, not plumbed). I have, even years ago on this forum, professed my love for it. It was one of the prides of my kitchen and we use it everyday. I do my best to maintain it to every specification.

Miele service in my area has always been good but I now realize that they have been to my home often over the years to attend to this machine. Leaks, new steamer jet, new brew unit, etc. It also seems like as it ages (and even though we use filtered water), I need to descale it more frequently to get the amount of pressure we desire. No other appliance in my home has required this much attention!

But, the poor thing has just no "umph" anymore. I can make my morning latte but the pressure is lighter than it used to be. Consequently, the milk must be steamed for longer making the latte watery. By the time I am out the door with my cup, the foam has collapsed. I checked for anything blocking the steamer tube and have descaled twice this week alone.

I called Miele service and they sounded like they have no idea what could be wrong. "If there is no blockage and it has been descaled....there really is no reason why it shouldn't be working properly." He was baffled.

I had had the steamer jet replaced 1 1/2 years ago so I assume they would have replaced old "O" rings then??? That was also not a warranty repair. $$$!!! What else could be wrong?

Now I am debating as to whether I should just start anew rather than sink any more money into this machine.....Miele is asking $175 for a trip charge?!?!?!

Anyone else have similar long term issues with their Miele Coffees? Are the newer ones more reliable? Would another brand fit in the same custom cabinet opening?

It would be nice to get a plumbed unit but for the price of this thing....butshouldn't it last more than 9 years??

Comments (78)

• Carole Lancaster
    9 years ago

Smokie91215, do you still have the repair manual for the CVA610? If you do, I would really appreciate if you would email me a copy. Our system is still working since 2002 but started giving us a problem lately with too much water leaking into the system which I am hoping is just the gaskets. If you have available, please let me know and I will send my email address.

Thanks, Carole

• Mindy Katz
    9 years ago

do a search for miele cva 610 manual

• Camilla Gagen
    8 years ago

Hi Smokie91215 I would like to get an email of your repair manual I have a CVA 620 that has worked well but no longer makes a really good milk froth like it used to. I spent part of the day descaling and cleaning and lubricating everything in the machine but the foam/froth has not improved. the seals look fine but I'm thinking about replacing them myself but the manual doesn't tell me how and I can't find any instructions on youtube or google. I would really appreciate any suggestions and help.

• Camilla Gagen
    8 years ago

downloaded the manual and it's virtually the same except they call the seals gaskets. The ones I'm referring to are located behind the brew unit if anyone has a clue how to change these or at least tell if the need changing it would be helpful.

• tuhlmann
    8 years ago

I have the Miele CV610, it is close to 15 years old and has had many problems but the most recent problem is the most overwhelming. The water in the tank emptys completely while at rest into the housing and out the front of the unit and onto the floor.I have replaced the tank recently, but that doesn't seem to resolve the problem.Any thoughts?

• Mindy Katz
    8 years ago

I think it's amazing you got 15 years out of it. Count you blessings. The newer models are much much better. you would be amazed.

• Camilla Gagen
    8 years ago

My Miele CVA620 has always made good coffee. I cleaned the brew unit and descaled about 3 months ago but lately the coffee tastes terrible. I've now again cleaned the metal filter in the brew unit and also cleaned the brew unit with the tablet on the rinse mode. What else can I try?

• User
    8 years ago

What did you clean it with ?

• bukzin1
    8 years ago

Repairman's "Service Manual" Much more helpful then the limited owners manual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyexhopfnne9zmi/CVA_265x_266x_TI.pdf

• Marsha Weigand
    7 years ago

Anyone still have access to the repair manual for the CVA610? Smokie91215 are you there? We have had ours for 14 years but now need the part 6050640 steam heater and 05636010 hose which cost $560 together so trying to decide to fix or not. Cannot afford a new system unfortunately. Any thoughts? Know anywhere to get the parts for less? Afraid to buy used parts because of the wear on the connections of these parts.

• dbabrams
    7 years ago

Wow, 14 years, that's a pretty good run. I couldn't get my fancy espresso machine to last more than a year in between part replacements and eventually gave up. Back to french press and just bought a Nespresso to supplement it.

• Phil Dru III
    7 years ago

We have a CVA 4075. After 9 years and 14,200 coffees/expresso, the brew unit top V bracket broke and spring broke also. Hopefully I can obtain another brew unit. It's been a great machine and worked almost flawlessly for all those years. Will keep site posted....

• teri5674
    6 years ago

I think we broke a gear off of the drive unit of our CVA615 a few years ago, and never fixed it. Now we are trying to decide whether to repair, replace, or just put something else in. Is there anyone here with experience with the drive unit?

If I remember correctly, we were trying to get it to the right position to sync with the brew unit. I've got the service manual, and I was willing to try the brew unit myself. But the drive seems to require disassembling just about everything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• teri5674
    6 years ago

Update - We've gotten far enough into the research to realize the thing that seemed to fall down the slot was (or had something to do with) the brew unit present switch, not part of a gear. Is there anyway to make the machine believe that it's there when it's not?

• acrisante
    6 years ago

I have a CVA 4075 that recently stopped working. It has worked pretty flawlessly for 9 years. Now it will not grind. We took it in for service at $212 just to look at it. We were told we need a new grinder unit and that the percolator drive is leaking also. The technician said we probably have a high pitched sound when it operates because of the percolator drive problem. The machine worked until it stopped grinding. There is no noticeable problem with leaking and I can live with the high pitch sound. We were told the parts would cost around $900. The tech suggested we may want to look at a new one. I'm fine with buying a new one if I have to, but I am thinking about just trying to find the grinder unit and repair it myself. Any idea on where I can get parts or any suggestions for this problem?

• ealincoln
    6 years ago

CVA610 Has anyone had an issue with coffee leaking from the front housing when making a cup of coffee?

• katherinesfo
    5 years ago

I have the same problem with my Miele CVA4066 @ealincoln. Please let me know what you did to fix yours. I have descaled, and I have cleaned the entire interior based on the instructions in the CVA4066 manual. When I make a coffee, the water doesn't just come through the spigots, but it also comes out the front housing. Thanks for any suggestions!

• ifoco
    5 years ago

acrisante,

Lucky you for the length of time your machine worked. My Miele counter top version which I gave glowing reviews on this forum pretty much died, shortly after my move. The machine was just a little over a year old. I worked with tech support, followed every one of their recommendations but nothing would make the grinder actually grind the beans. It ran but didn't grind. Finally they said I would have to send it in for diagnosis and repair. 6-8 weeks and I forgot how much per hour for repair/diagnosis. I said NOT. Who knows what my bill was going to be. Everything works except the friging grinder so I grind my beans else where and do one cup at time. Very irritating. At least with the Jura they told you what it would cost and it would be put into like new condition and in a short period of time. .

I was told it could be the grinder, could I buy it I asked maybe but no directions on how to install it. Really!

The only good thing I can say about my experience with Miele tech support is I didn't have to spell my name over and over and they knew how to pronounce it. Ya Ingeborg ve understand but this is the vay it is. You must send it in Done with any Miele product.

Inga

• PRO
    The Nest Egg Investments
    4 years ago

I have a Miele CVA 4075. Hot water dispenser barely works, sputtering, short bursts of water. However, when you descale or clean, water flows out of there very quickly, as it does when it rinses. Any ideas why it won't just dispense hot water?

• lukasny
    3 years ago

I got exactly the same problem. Were you able to figure out what is causing it ?

• PRO
    The Nest Egg Investments
    3 years ago

No. Miele is suggesting a new pump, ($$$) which doesn't make sense if it runs fine rinsing.

• lukasny
    3 years ago

It seems like hot water solenoid is the last thing before dispenser but it's strange that it works just fine during descaling.

• PRO
    The Nest Egg Investments
    3 years ago

When descaling, does the water come from a different pump, ie; the coffee pump?

• HU-893520821
    3 years ago

I just inherited a CVA 610 this past month. It was left over from a previous owner. I took the time to descale and used cleaning tablets to clean the system. I noticed that the coffee comes out as a watery consistency. It looks and tastes like watered down coffee. Has anyone ever run into this problem and have any idea what it could be?

• Carole Lancaster
    3 years ago

Have you checking your grind settings? And the strength?

• ES
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We just bought a Miele cm 5300 countertop coffee machine and find about every 6th or so cup of cappuccino it shorts the amount of milk froth, making an inconsistent size. I called Miele repair and he sent me an email with cleaning the milk pipe and descaling instructions. But we have only had it 2 weeks and it constantly cleans the milk pipe automatically, so I have a feeling it’s a bigger issue and so asked for a replacement. I was told it is a mandate by Germany head office that no replacement will be made until all in home repair attempts have been made. Not happy with this policy after only having the machine 2 weeks! Has anyone else experienced a dispensing inconsistency issue in the newer countertop machines? Love the machine other than this problem...right out of the box.

• ES
    3 years ago

Update...called Miele and was told to try resetting the amount of milk portion and also run a clean the milk piping cycle. These packets of milk cleaning solution did not come with my cm5300 model, but I came across a posting that Oxyclean was a close viable substitute. Has anyone successfully used a substitute cleaner without causing any harm to the machine?

• delray33483
    3 years ago

I have one of these..You have to absolutely do the required maintenance regularly - without fail. If you don't do it the machine will produce poor quality coffee. That also means rinsing the milk path (and associated milk containers) every day otherwise the milk fat will clog the pipes and then poor quality foaming. BTW - use the Miele cleaning products, not the online suggestions. The cleaner is citric acid based, and that is not oxyclean. You spent $2200 on the coffee maker, don't cheap out on the followup

• ES
    3 years ago

Thank you for your good advice!

I called Miele as I did not receive a milk pipe cleaning brush, or powder. Apparently I should have received a brush, which they are sending me, but I will need to order the milk pipe cleaning packets. I’m not sure exactly where all the piping parts are located that need the brush cleaning.....so am hoping detailed instructions will be included when my brush arrives.

• delray33483
    3 years ago

ES. The milk path is the clear tube that connects the SS milk flask to the coffee maker. It is the SS tube that sits inside the flask. First order the descaling tabs, cleaning tabs and the milk pipework cleaner. You will use them and the machine will either not run or will give you hot milk instead of foam. There are no substitutes for these on the open market

the brush (you can also us a pipe cleaner) is used for the metal tube inside the flask as it accumulates milk fat and slows the flow of milk to the frother. You will rinse it along the way, but the fat accumulates even if you rinse.

make sure that you do not allow milk to accumulate and dry inside the clear tube that goes from the coffee to the flask. That means when you are done making coffee for the day run a rinse program. You will end up buying another tube from Miele in short order if you don't do that

none of this is onerous, but this isn't a $50 K Cup machine - just has to be done

• Damir Mustafic
    3 years ago

Miele espresso machines are over-engineered garbage. We have a built-in unit that came with the house, and it’s not worth the hole it plugs. For the price, you can get semi-automated barista style coffee machine that wont ask you to maintain it every day. Coffee quality is mediocre or just bad (if you are are a connoisseur). Being fully automated, it breaks constantly, and demands much more attention than you should give a coffee machine.

Nespresso is a good budget alternative, or for good coffee Nuova Simonelli... and those are only two others we use. Miele is just an expensive, non-functional appliance in our kitchen cabinet. :)

• antonio
    3 years ago

Model CVA4060 Coffee Maker. Why is display blinking?

There is no clock visible, no error codes, nothing. When the power is on from inside the unit, the display screen flashes repeatedly.

• antonio
    3 years ago

solved!!, The solution is possible, you have to go over the welds on the board, only the one near the transformer. In my case it worked perfect.

• HU-760037194
    3 years ago

I am a former military technician, I have a whole box of CVA 610 and 615 parts.

The entire box of those ordered parts and circuit boards I'm selling for $300. I decided to not go ahead and rebuild a 615. I purchase a new model.

• beerchops
    2 years ago

Hey Hu-760037194. Did you ever sell the parts box ?

• Tara Mosley
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a Miele CVA 610 stainless steel. Very clean but I don't have time for repairs. Good for parts maybe or a really handy person that understands this fine machine and make it work again. It had Expel air and I did. Make me an offer. Located in South Carolina.

• Henry Lester
    2 years ago

Our venerable Miele CVA615 has a minor problem.

On the brew unit is a heater valve seat (I’m calling it by that name): a cylinder ~ 1 x 2 cm.

The heater valve seat has 2 x 10 mm drain hole.

The drain hole drains into a plastic compartment in the main unit, ~ 20 ml capacity.

The plastic compartment ought to drain, in turn, into the main drip tray, apparently via a duct that I cannot see in the bottom of the plastic compartment. As a biologist, I’m calling it a duct. It could be a channel, ridge, tube, etc

The duct has apparently become plugged with coffee grounds.

The plastic compartment does still overflow into the drip tray—not a disaster.

Now I clean out the plastic compartment with paper towels—not a disaster.

I’ve tried (and failed) to visualize either end of the duct with dental mirrors, a spy cam, etc. No luck.

I’ve tried (and failed) to find either the inlet or outlet of the duct blindly with the following tools: zip tie, pipe cleaner, water flosser. No luck.

Several years ago, I watched a Youtube video featuring a German technician wearing a gray lab coat. For ~ 20 min, he showed how to service the CVA610, or the 615, or the 620—I forget which. This tech placed a ziptie in precisely the right spot to ream out the duct (then he removed it, of course). This video was a perfect example of Teutonic precision—he also explained how to seat screws into their holes, etc.

Miele’s 610 and 615 tech manual contains no info about the duct—how to find out, how to reveal it by partial disassembly, how to clean it. Nothing.

I’ve lost that wonderful video. Can anybody help, either by locating the video or—better yet--by instructing me on how to ream out the duct?

• antonio
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

hello,
    Forgive my English, it's not very good:
    A few days ago I changed the drain valve on my CVA 4060. I can't find the video you mention on YouTube, I did see it back in the day.
    It's easy to change it:
    1. You remove all containers.
    2. You remove the breu unit.
    3. Open the machine from the back.
    4. From the front remove screws (See CVA image)
    5. Now from the rear, remove a cover and screws from the plastic area..
    6. Access the drain valve. (See image CVA2).
    I hope it helps you.

Best regards!!

• ccoat1
    2 years ago

We have a 3 year old CVA 6805 that my husband meticulously cares for and follows all maintenance protocol. We have full house water filtering YES, it's A LOT!!! I would never have one again. Just had Miele service out for a Fault 77 error code, replaced the control valve at over $500 cost and still didn't work, then we were told the brewer unit is out, sooooo another $500!!! A three year old $4000 coffee station with over $1000 repair bill 3 years in--yes, I feel that is excessive.

• Cassie Song
    last year

i have a CVA 6410 that is just past 2 years mark. I do all the maintenance, cleaning, oiling, etc and the unit wont turn on anymore. I am asked to pay $1000 for repair. Deciding if it's worth it or just go back to old Nestle machines. Spent $4000 machine that won't last me more than 2 years.

• ealincoln
    last year

My repair was $1500, however that was after 10 years of use… I just got a new machine.

• Damir Mustafic
    last year

Miele is form over function. Designed for rich people whomcant brew a cup of coffee.

Mine broke 2 years in, and after spending $2k in parts, and getting no help from miele, I decided to ditch it.

I have a simonelli oscar 2 machine on the side that has been turned on for 6 years running. No issues.

• vallery davidson
    last year

I have seven Miele appliances in my house . The built in coffee machine is a disaster. I have had at least 8 service calls because the system stops working during the "descaling" process. It is frustrating that the company, after the warranty ran out takes no responsibility for the breakdowns As bad as it gets

• Joe Kue
    last year

Hi smokie91215,

is your offer for the Repair Manual still available?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Joe

joe.kue@gmail.com

• silvakarla488
    last year

Hi i need you help i have a Miele CVA 4070 and lately the machine started to put to much water in my coffee i check the manual and don’t talking about it this problems

• HU-994621886
    6 months ago

Are you still having the problem or have you had it repaired already? I just had the same issue on a CVA 4066 unit that I was called in to repair

• wilyski
    5 months ago

CVA 4066 - water leaks from drainage valve when making a coffee, I replaced valve and same issue, am I missing something? Thanks

Also maintenance not mentioned to ensure better tasting coffee;

cleaning the coffee grind shoot with compressed air and vacuum.(weekly)
    Removing the Silver Miele water dispenser and rinsing (weekly)
    Completely disassemble the grinder unit and removing old grinds (more technical) (quarterly)

• Alexandr Shiyan
    4 months ago

Hello! Who can help with the service manual for miele cva5060

• PRO
    Natal Modica Construction, Inc.
    4 months ago

How do I remove the grinder unit? My grinder seems to be jammed. Cva4066