Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele Coffee System - Fix it or Replace it??

Posted by mindy35 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 23:16

I have one of the earlier Miele Coffee Systems - CVA610 ( 8-9 years old, not plumbed). I have, even years ago on this forum, professed my love for it. It was one of the prides of my kitchen and we use it everyday. I do my best to maintain it to every specification.

Miele service in my area has always been good but I now realize that they have been to my home often over the years to attend to this machine. Leaks, new steamer jet, new brew unit, etc. It also seems like as it ages (and even though we use filtered water), I need to descale it more frequently to get the amount of pressure we desire. No other appliance in my home has required this much attention!

But, the poor thing has just no "umph" anymore. I can make my morning latte but the pressure is lighter than it used to be. Consequently, the milk must be steamed for longer making the latte watery. By the time I am out the door with my cup, the foam has collapsed. I checked for anything blocking the steamer tube and have descaled twice this week alone.

I called Miele service and they sounded like they have no idea what could be wrong. "If there is no blockage and it has been descaled....there really is no reason why it shouldn't be working properly." He was baffled.

I had had the steamer jet replaced 1 1/2 years ago so I assume they would have replaced old "O" rings then??? That was also not a warranty repair. $$$!!! What else could be wrong?

Now I am debating as to whether I should just start anew rather than sink any more money into this machine.....Miele is asking $175 for a trip charge?!?!?!

Anyone else have similar long term issues with their Miele Coffees? Are the newer ones more reliable? Would another brand fit in the same custom cabinet opening?

It would be nice to get a plumbed unit but for the price of this thing....butshouldn't it last more than 9 years??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele Coffee System - Fix it or Replace it??

Hi Mindy,
be aware that the core of this machine is not actually produced by Miele itself but it is outsourced from SAECO.

IMHO whatever brand built in coffee brewer is outrageously expensive, as a semi-commercial grade freestanding unit is often sold at a quarter of those prices.

I know, these built in brewers look very cool ... but I' consider to replace it with a countertop unit and to fill the empty place with a speedoven (or with just a cabinet lid)

o

I think you are very lucky that you got 9 years use out of that system. The new ones can be plumbed, if you like. They have made many changes to the current model, but they still seem very finicky and maintenance intense!

Our dealer told me, that of ALL the Miele appliances, the Coffee system is the most high maintenance!

About 6 months ago, we made an appt. to see the new Coffee System in action at our local Beverly Hills, Ca Miele showroom. I was NOT impressed (and we currently have NINE Miele appliances in our home..Love Miele)!!! The coffee system did not make a very delicious Cappucino, the Coffee was not as hot to my liking..and the daily, weekly and monthly cleaning and maintenance was ridiculous!!!

o
Replace Coffee System with Speed Oven

YES, YES...to what hidroman said. Fill the Coffee System space with a Miele Speed Oven. Of my 9 Miele appliances, the Speed Oven is my FAVOURITE! I cannot imagine daily life without it :)

o

Already have an advantium speedcook which we do love. these are the 2 appliances that we use daily and would miss terribly should we move.

When we built the kitchen, we knew the plumbed version was on the horizon so we plumbed to the cabinet and just capped it until it was needed. Maybe we anticipated having to replace it??

I have not been unhappy with the coffee quality until now and do have other Miele appliances that we love.

Larsi, did you eventually choose another brand?

hemmmm...haaaaw......

o

@mindy35

We just kept our beautiful, Italian Elektra Cappuccino/Espresso machine. Not fully automated like the Miele, but really easy to use, and SO gorgeous on the kitchen sink!

o

Ooh, Larsi, don't mean to hijack, but do you mind saying which Elektra you have? I'm no coffee connoisseur, but I'm seriously lusting after those beautiful machines.

o

I have the newest plumbed Miele coffee system and it is out of this world. If you have never owned one, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in regards to maintenance. It requires very low maintenance, tells you how to do EVERYTHING it needs. If you can't pull out a bottom little shelf inside and rinse it out about twice a week, or fill beans or empty grounds then this is not for you, but if you can handle that, you will love it. We use it constantly have had it for 7 months and have just had to descale it for the first time....mind you, it counted down coffee cups every day until the descale was necessary and told us when to do it! I love it! The best thing is taking vanilla ice cream in a cup, and make an espresso every night right over it.....yummmmmmmmm

o

@nutherokie

I think it is model Sixties A3. It is beautiful. We bought it from Chris Coffee in NY! These machines are VERY $$$ though...be prepared!! LOVE it though!!

o

Ooh-la-la! I saw the T1 in Dallas a year and a half ago and it has haunted me ever since. And I'm a tea drinker! I'm afraid I'd need a Ph.D. in espresso to operate that gorgeous gleaming thing that costs more than my first two cars combined. But oh how I long for one.

o

So I have decided to replace this CVA610 with a newer plumbed model. It does still work but not to our satisfaction. It probably needs a new pump for the steam system. Coffee and hot water still work great.

Now I have 3 options:
1. I can try to sell this unit locally for a few hundred $$. Someone could put a couple hundred dollars more into it and be thrilled.

2. I can try to sell it locally listing it just for parts.

3.I can sell many of the parts on ebay that are in perfect working order. Items like the brew unit, water tank (this alone is $180 new from Miele), steamer jet, etc. do have value.

I am leaning toward the 3rd option but I am looking for a parts list to determine the prices. I cannot locate one online. Anyone have an idea where I can get an itemized parts list??

o

You'll make more money parting it out. I don't have a parts list but I did find a pdf technical manual on-line that describes the workings pretty well at this link

http://www.cagrimmett.com/justanswer/CVA610.pdf

I need a water pump by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele CVA 610 technical manual

o

msk6261 - would love to hear what you think about your new Miele plumbed model? We are building a new home and are considering this system.
Thanks!

o

update please! I am replacing a Dacor plumbed model that basically started malfunctioning a month after the warrantee was up and the service people are baffled!! I am so tired of having these guys out here that I have decided to just replace it with the Miele. I am nervous though and have sat on this thing as a non-functioning hole filler until I get more responses on the Miele.

o

Okay, I have written this before, but the Miele is the best engineered of any of the built-in superautomatics. EVERYTHING you need to access as the operator is easily gotten to. You open the door and the bean hopper, the water container, the waste container, the drip tray, and a storage bin for pre-ground flavored or decaf, pull straight out of the machine for filling, emptying, or cleaning/maintenance.

The brewing group pulls out as one piece. It stays SO clean during normal operation that it really doesn't have to be touched. The milk handling system (consisting of a stainless steel vacuum jug like a thermos that keeps milk fresh and cold all day) does not require the user to even touch a pitcher. You push a button and get hot milk for cocoa or foam for a cappuccino.

Every maintenance chore that the owner has to perform is simple and guided by a menu telling you each step.

The coffee we get is great! No, it is not as good as a hand-pulled shot from an expert barrista with the best equipment, but it isn't so far off that a normal, Starbucks drinking person will not be absolutely thrilled with it.

Weak areas are

1. The lid for the milk pitcher has two brittle plastic feed tubes and they are easily broken by careless insertion into the milk vessel. Use caution when putting the lid on.

2. The machine is pretty expensive. You can get a nice, countertop model that will make the same beverage for you at about half the cost. Additionally, Miele charges over $1.35 for EACH tiny little packet of milk system cleaner. Since you must run the milk cleaning cycle every day you use the milk system, this can run into serious money. (Helpful tip from mojavean - use a scant teaspoon of powdered Oxyclean. It works fine.)

3. My machine came to me with an improperly secured plug/jack combo on the thermostat that gave me repeated errors. Since I made the mistake of believing the seller that I would have a warranty, I was surprised to discover that Miele would not honor it when I called about the problem. I had to open the unit up and find the problem myself with no help from Miele at all, other than one phone tech's aside that the code represented a bad thermostat indication. Long story short, do not buy one of these anywhere but from an authorized dealer. Get the service extension for it, and get the warranty, in writing, for sure.

Other than that, be sure to get the plumbed version, CVA-4066 if memory serves. We have had both a countertop superautomatic with a manual reservoir that had to be constantly filled and now the Miele, which fills itself with water. There is no comparison in the level of convenience.

The *really* good part is stumbling out of the rack in the morning knowing you have set your machine to come on for you automatically. You grab a cup from the cabinet above or the warming drawer below, shove it under the spout and push the button. In less than a minute you are walking away with a delicious coffee or espresso and you do not give up one inch of cooking and food prep space on the counter to get it. That alone was worth twice the price to us and I would not hesitate to get another one today. The Miele is the best.

o

That, to me says it all...Thanks mojavean!

o

So far, we are very happy with this new machine. It is easy to use and maintain and the coffee is good. It is most definitely an improvement over our original CVA610 I'll admit that it looks kinda pretty in it's custom spot too. Thank G-d the dimensions did not change.

The learning curve was bigger than I anticipated (even after owning a prior model) and they should include a DVD or at least produce a youtube video to be viewed on their website. After figuring it all out, I decided to take my remaining questions to the SF Miele showroom where I was met with blank stares and empathetic frustrations:

There is no "trick" to by-passing the stupid instruction menus while doing maintenance and set ups. Even after performing the same procedures everyday for 4 years!

There is no way out of an error message or incorrect button press aside from switching the interior on/off switch and leaving the machine to "think about what it did wrong" for an indeterminate amount of time. There should definitely be a reset or exit button.

There is no explanation as to why the quantity of a latte varies from glass to glass depending on whether it is the first, second or third one to be produced in succession (some don't fill the glass while the next overflows).

I rinse the milk pipework every day but only use the powder to clean once a week. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me but if I wanted to pay $1.35@, I would get a french roast at Starbucks!

I still have the old unit in the garage to be sold off for parts if anyone wants some!!!

o

I have a 3 yr. old miele coffee maker model cva 4075 and it wont take any command, it has bin descaled last wk. any suggestions.

o

Hello all,

I am new to this site, having come across it in a search for answers concerning my built-in Miele cva 610 espresso machine. I see that msk6261 has parts available. I am very interested in obtaining some. If msk6261 could contact me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

o

well i have to say the new jura is amazing. i put the miele in one house in 2002 and it is still working fine for me. but i have 2 juras in the other houses and they are amazing. but like i said with little to no maintenance the miele has been working since 2002.

o

@ hjscm:
can you compare the miele built-in yo uhave to the new juras? what model jura do you have and how do you like it compared to the miele. i have to decide soon! thank you.

o

Hi y'all , can I get updates on your built in coffee machines? My miele cva 620 something I think , which is about 6-7 years old has bit the dust. After having to have it serviced a few times, it now needs $1200 worth of repairs according to the technician. I really dont know why something that cost so much money should require so much maintainance and not last that long. I dont think I will buy another miele system, but don't know that any of the others are any better. I bought mine before the plumbed in ones were available from miele. It's not like it got abused , just a few cups daily by each person living here (although I know I passed the 10,000 cup mark a while ago). I cleaned it and descaled it as instructed. What is a good surdy machine that will make a great cup of coffee,esspresso,or foamed milk or whatever?

o

Hi y'all , can I get updates on your built in coffee machines? My miele cva 620 something I think , which is about 6-7 years old has bit the dust. After having to have it serviced a few times, it now needs $1200 worth of repairs according to the technician. I really dont know why something that cost so much money should require so much maintainance and not last that long. I dont think I will buy another miele system, but don't know that any of the others are any better. I bought mine before the plumbed in ones were available from miele. It's not like it got abused , just a few cups daily by each person living here (although I know I passed the 10,000 cup mark a while ago). I cleaned it and descaled it as instructed. What is a good surdy machine that will make a great cup of coffee,esspresso,or foamed milk or whatever?

o

In response to wangshan's comments,
I own a Miele CVA 610 which I bought 12 years ago. It has since built over 31,000 coffees. It has not been without its problems, but I do most of the work on it myself so it only costs me the parts. I had the grinder motor replaced after a couple years, and Miele covered that expense. The repairman blew my main electronic circuit board while he was repairing the grinder, so I got a new circuit board free. Since then, I have replaced the heating unit, and the main computer chip (they come together). I did that about two years ago. I then took the whole unit apart last winter because I could not expel the air from the system, and found that it was clogged by lime buildup, so cleaned everything and put it back together. Running fine again. The brew unit was straining at one point last year, but all it required was a thorough cleaning and greasing, and away we went.

So, all in all, yes, it does require more maintenance than one would expect from a machine that costs that much. Believe it or not though, when this one finally packs it in for good, I'll probably buy another one. They look so good, and work so well - most of the time. What the heck, 12 years. I can't really complain too much, I guess. I only use it for coffee, not foamed milk, although my daughter used to do that many years ago.

If you work on the machine yourself, you might save several hundred dollars. I have the repair manual for the 610, if you want to give it a try, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. I don't imagine the 620 is much different.

(But if you should decide to ditch the machine, I would love the parts. Where do you live?)

Take care, and good luck.

o

I have tried but I really don't know how to fix it. I can tell you what is wrong with it. It is a 615 first of all.
The report from the repair man says
"no data dump"
"no mdu connection"
"broken perculator which caused damage to gear drive"
"connecting cable broken"
I have the manual for this too, but do you think this one is salvagable.???

o

Hello wangshan,

I tried once before to respond to you by e-mail with no luck, so here goes again.

I believe that the CVA 610 was simply the predecessor to the 615. I looked at pictures of the 615, and for argument's sake, it is the same machine as the 610.

With reference to your repair man report; it sounds like you need a new motherboard, or at the least, a new master chip (don't know which). I don't know what he is referring to when he says "percolator", as there is no percolator in these machines. There is a water heater and a brew unit. The brew unit is what you see between the puck disposal container, and the water container, when you open the machine. It is really the heart of the machine (after the motherboard of course). Now if the brew unit is not working properly (something which happened to me, it should be removed, thoroughly cleaned, then greased as per the directions in the user manual). Study it carefully, and make sure there is nothing obviously broken on it.

But if your gear drive is damaged, well that could cause problems. Strangely enough, within the last week, I am having problems with the drive unit powering the brew unit (maybe it's the same thing as the gear drive). I will be taking my machine apart again in the next few days to find out what's going on with that little motor. I don't know what is meant by "connecting cable broken".

So, to make a short story long, it sounds to me like you are stuck paying the bill, if you really like the machine.

Or maybe you can buy a second hand one on EBay. I see there's an old 610 there for a couple hundred bucks. If I were in the US, I'd buy it right away for the parts. Maybe you should do that.

Cheers.

Let me know what you decide.

Smokie

o

NEED ADVICE:

I have a 3.5 year old Miele 4066 plumbed coffee maker too that was working fantastically until I had to run it through the bothersome descaling process.

Well, this time, it wouldn't start or complete it...it did the countdown, but left me with one minute on the dial. So when I was finished, no water was in the pitchers.....it was just left hanging there: one minute until descaling complete.

I turned it off, I unplugged it, I even turned the breaker off for a few hours. Once I turned it back on it had me go through the descaling process again!

Again, it counted down and said the same thing...no water in the pitchers.

Is there anyway to bypass this? No reset button, no code to enter to get out of the descale process?

Now I'm stuck this weekend with no hot coffee because Miele CS isn't open and I'll have to call for service on Monday.

Thanks so much.
BTW, the clock on my Miele has never been correct the entire time I've owned it. When I get service, I'll have to have this addressed.

o

"I really dont know why something that cost so much money should require so much maintainance and not last that long. "

This is just ridiculous !

10 years for a highly complex machine with small and intricate moving parts ? Sounds pretty good to me.

Anyone have a Porsche, Mercedes, ect...? Did you get 10 years out of it without any maintenance ? No, you did not. Have to replace any parts because of wear and tear ? Yes, you did. If you didn't - you're just sticking your head in the sand because all the rubber bushings and seals are close to shot, even if you just bought the thing and put it in your museum.

Did they cost a lot of $$$ - especially compared to the cheapie mr. coffee like Chevy whatever ? Absolutely.

Built- in coffee machines are complex , expensive, and REQUIRE ongoing maintenance. Think of them like a boat. Your expenses don't end with the purchase price. Buying a more expensive one does not lessen the maintenance or improve your chances for longevity.

Does this make them a bad value ???

Perhaps. The merits (or lack) of these things have been discussed around here already.

The main draw for these things is convenience: coffee, espresso, latte, cappuccino, - from beans or grounds, tea, hot chocolate or cider, all from one machine. They also have a wow factor that some folks like and can't be duplicated by a consumer grade countertop model.

Do you pay for this in upfront cost and "hassle". Yep !

So, these are for a very small segment of appliance buyers.

o

For FLGIRL1,

I have the service manual for the CVA610, which isn't a heck of a lot different from your machine, and I looked through it for your problem. The only thing I could find was if you went into diagnostic mode, you could find the descaling parameters, however, the manual states "do not change". So in effect, I did not find anything worth reporting. And I have never seen that particular problem myself in 12 years of descaling. As a matter of fact, I have no clock on my machine, and the descaling process does not count down.

Sorry about this.

Smokie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here