Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

New arrival today, straight from Reading.

angie_diy
12 years ago

It is a real beaut! Thanks to all you Appliance Forum people for refining my taste in ranges!

30" RNB in Jet Black:

Comments (28)

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

A beauty indeed!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

In front of a window?!?!?! Are you crazy??? That's not up to code!!!

(ducking)

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Michelle!

Marcolo: Too funny. You know, I actually did hesitate to post those pictures for fear of feeling obligated to defend the range's location. I know you are kidding, because you, as you remember, were the one that first informed me of the possibility of putting it there!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Indeed I do remember! Can't wait til you pick out the curtains!

(ducking, twice now)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Looks great, Angie! Looking forward to seeing it done. Did you get your new MW yet?

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Looks so nice! That oven is such a cavern! Post more pictures as you get finished up.

-Stooxie

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcolo: I am just sewing them up now. I am using silicon-coated fiberglass cloth for easy cleaning, sewed with Kevlar thread. I am worried the colors will clash with my walls, though....

Breezy: Yes, I did get the 24" MW at the same time. It is going into that big hole around the corner to the right of the range, but it is resting comfortably on my LR floor until I figure out exactly where in that hole to put it, and rework the frame that holds it.

Stooxie: Yeah, I was impressed by the size of the oven. I am even having a hard time figuring out how to wash the giant grates, which they call for you to do before running the oven.

I am not really intending to start using the range until the kitchen is functional (as I have my old one set up in the basement). However, I couldn't help myself this morning and used it to make the hot water for the instant coffee I have been drinking while the kitchen is out of commission. (I am using instant coffee as a self-abnegating motivational tool to get the kitchen done.) I use a pot just less than 6" in diameter, and I put the full 22k BTU/hr burner on it. The flames barely licked the sides, and I could hold my hand just next to the pot, but the water boiled in about a minute. Yee-haw!

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Take 'em outside wash 'em down and hose 'em off!

Yeah, we opted for a 33" Blanco single bowl sink because we were tired of trying to figure out how to wash baking sheets, food lugs, big pots, etc in a double bowl.

-Stooxie

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

I can't wait to see the curtains - same cost as the range! ;-) How are you venting tho?

We are so far away from installing ours and LOVE seeing pictures. We are wavering between jet black and a shimmering aluminum (9007). I also keep wavering between double griddle or griddle/grill. We still have about a month before we have to order.

Bluestar envy!

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Congrats angie!!! It looks beautiful!! Not only will you enjoy using your new range, but the ranges from pennsylvania are soooooooooooo damn gorgeous!!! (Imo)

Michelle: I have SERIOUS benz envy so be quiet! :). Plus your bs is comming! My benz isn't until you decide to sell...errrr....give yours to me

• stooxie
    12 years ago

I think if I were going to go with a griddle, and had the space, I'd go with the double. How many pancakes can you really get on a 12" griddle? 2 or 3? French toast, eggs, etc.? We have a griddle plate that we can put on two burners and we love it but it definitely would be nice if it were 24" wide!

-Stooxie

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Take 'em outside wash 'em down and hose 'em off!
    Would have been easier if hadn't finally decided to snow 6" last night!
    My sink will be 28" single bowl, but obviously not operational yet. I suppose I can cram them in my concrete laundry tub/temporary kitchen sink.

How are you venting tho?
    We will have a range hood over the window. For visual interest, we will put a stained-glass panel in that window, and a piece of tempered glass in front of that.

Thanks, tyguy. I appreciate it.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Angie,

We had 6" of snow too.....where are you?

M

• cassity
    12 years ago

That is a nice looking range.

How do you like the island trim?

The backguard on the Blue Star I looked at was real substantial (best on any range I think). It was made of at least 4 parts, was real strong and had a seamless finish, even to the welded corners on the cap. I could tell a lot of effort was put into making that assembly even though I've never heard anyone talk about it.

I'm leaning toward a 48" but I like how the 30" has the cast center pieces that match the burner grates aesthetically and functionally.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Michelle: I live in Wisconsin, near Milwaukee.

Cassity: Thank you. I like the island trim, but you have to understand that I have not even turned the oven ON yet, so I cannot tell you how it functions. I do like the look, however. :)

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Cassity: I would go with a 48" if you have the space, and as long as it looks in proportion to your room.

As for a backguard. I was just thinking about this the other day, and I think if I was re ordering mine today I would consider an island trim instead of the 6" (or whatever dimension) backgurad. The reason is, the stainless is a beast to keep looking nice. I think it would be easier to wipe down some tiles behind the range than try and keep that piece of stainless clean, although all that could go out the window if you have a pourous type of stone backsplash. For me, I have glazed ceramic subway tile behind mine so I think the cleanup would be easier. Just a couple of issues to keep in mind.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

@tyguy - I was worried about a stainless backsplash too. I also worried about the grout lines getting filthy and decided on back painted glass (minimal seams) so I just have to swipe it with windex. You reminded me I needed to go start the car. ;-)

@Angie - turn it on, turn it on!

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Gosh, I was just in Reading and could have snagged that range for you!
    Pretty!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Sigh.... lovely

• willtv
    12 years ago

Angie, Great range & choice of color.
    I've got a BS 36" in Jet Black so I know.
    Love it.
    Now finish that kitchen & get cookin'!

• peonybush
    12 years ago

Angie--that is HOT!
    Hey--I'm just down the road from you :)

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gemini: why didn't you tell me!? That would have saved on shipping! ;-)

Mabel:thanks! I really like it!

Will: Yes, I have deeply admired your range from pix! I am working on it!

Peony: thanks! (blush) Where are you?

• peonybush
    12 years ago

Angie--41N---FDL

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

It's stunning and I can't wait to see the photos of the complete kitchen. I love the idea of the window behind the BS with a hood overhead. Did you have any trouble with the infamous Code enforcers? Can I assume that it's not an operational window?

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, maire_cate! (I also cannot wait to see the complete kitchen!!

Can I assume that it's not an operational window?

Yes, I put in a fixed window.

Did you have any trouble with the infamous Code enforcers?

No, none at all. My municipality has a well-earned reputation for being very pernickety. I called and discussed the range location with my AHJ before committing to that layout, and sent him plans. He didn't seem at all bothered, but said he would look into it. He contacted me a few days later to say he could find nothing proscribing that location.

• hpxmirage
    12 years ago

Looks great, Angie, congratulations!

• cj47
    12 years ago

Sweet! Beautiful range.
    Cj
    Another Wisconsinite, SW of MLW

• cassity
    12 years ago

tvguy--that's the holdup, I don't have the room for a 48" so the kitchen has to get extended first.

I understand what you're saying about the stainless backguard and cleaning but I think it (the 6" one) looks cool so I'm going to have deal with cleaning it.

Probably go with that and get a custom stainless wall backsplash made with some 2" wide shelves as that's how the current set up is and it works nice. I have spices up there--I know it's not ideal with the heat and grease but they're accessible and I kept them rotated frequently.