Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Another "sleek hood" question

eleena
11 years ago

I have found a older thread discussing some aspects but I have a slightly different question.

Can a 600 cfm internal motor coupled with a single mesh filter do a half-decent job, provided I have a 2-burner gas unit and a 2-burner induction unit and never ever deep-fry?

I accidentally posted on the Kitchen Forum asking about Elica hoods though the question is actually still relevant when it come to many European hoods, including Faber and Futuro. I have heard from some high-end kitchen designers that they prefer Elica hoods (which look really nice, I should say).

Many of them have a wide (42"-48") canopy with only one mesh filter and 600 cfm internal motor. The recommended height above the cooktop is 32" for 9+" ceilings.

I have read (too) many threads about ventilation and understand that (generally speaking) more CFM is better, baffle filters are easier to clean, and external motor is the best option.

However, I have a friend who has a hood with a small (from my POV) mesh filter in her newly built house and she is happy with it even though she cooks quite a bit.

Let's say, I am not considering an external motor as I don't do any greasy cooking and only have a 30" cooktop, plus it is simply not in my current budget. I really *hate* the looks of most hoods and the only ones I can *tolerate* happen to be mostly those European-style "sleek" hoods.

I am wondering if getting one would compromise function too much.

Any thoughts or experience with Elica hoods? Is having only one mesh filter really insufficient? How do these companies stay in business then?

TIA!

Comments (5)