Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wayfinder_gw

Best High-End Appliances?

Wayfinder
13 years ago

I'm building a custom home and for once (so grown up) have the luxury of getting any appliances I want.

I want a refrigerator only and a freezer only. Am looking at the Lacanache for my stove. have no idea what to get for a dishwasher.

I'm pretty new to this forum and can't believe how helpful everyone is - so thanks ahead of time.

Comments (9)

• bishop8
    13 years ago

Can't fault deeageaux's list. Only amendment I'd make is that with the Miele fridge/freezer, they also come in 36".

• plllog
    13 years ago

The La Cornue ovens are the ones with the domed top, right? That would take some getting used to, though they're supposed to work well. One might have to adapt one's way of cooking. Another one to look at is Molteni.

Gaggenau ovens are the best if you also want separate wall oven(s). You might be interested in the combi-steam, as well. I've been impressed with what folks have been saying about the Wolf wall oven as well.

Two other makers besides Sharp make microwaves. Seriously, it doesn't matter; they all work fine. Get the one that looks best. Or consider a speed oven (turbo chef, Miele, Advantium). I find the microwave feature of the Advantium to be far superior to any countertop model I've used, besides all the other things it does.

Re dishwashers, to get the best results you have to use them as specified, including which detergents, etc. Miele is generally regarded as the best. The Viking is probably the best American one, but it doesn't dry very well in my experience. It might be a lot better at drying with recommended detergent, etc., than I used. Just to give you something to compare.

Garbage disposal: Best are Viking or Insinkerator Evolution. Viking designed the best and had Insinkerator make it for them, then Insinkerator had their engineers design their own to the same specs. The Viking is prettier, and possibly just a tiny bit better, but the Insinkerator is supposed to be equal in actual installed use, and who cares if the disposal is pretty.

Don't forget to look for a good hood and make-up air system.

• PRO
    Roxie Paone
    13 years ago

Look at Fisher and Paykel they have a 2 drawer dishwasher

• kaismom
    13 years ago

Refrigerator/Freezer:
    Subzero come as built in models and fully integrated models. The Euro refrigerators are fully integrated. The esthetics are very different. I have seen amazing cabinet fronts on the integrated columns. There was one that had very Asian armoir looking front for a frig/freezer etc, I think at my local Siematic cabinet dealer.

I chose fully integrated model for the looks and bought a Thermador Column.

For MW, I have a Miele Speed oven and I love it because it functions beautifully as a second oven and it fits into the look of the room and is beautiful as well as functional. At this price point, the "look" is very important, IMHO.

I have had Asko, Miele, Bosch DWs. They all wash well. In my personal experience, I rate Miele at the top, Asko then Bosch in that order. Many my friends and collegues have 2 DWs and they are very glad. If you entertain regularly, this is great. The newer DWs have rather long cycles. Look for DWs that have quick cycles for when you need them. In my personal experience, quick cycles do not clean as well but are adequate enough for glasses. My Miele current does not and this is what I miss this function the most.

Again, it depends on if you want integrated look versus SS look. American DWs do not integrate as well.

Ranges: I like having a gas range with gas oven plus electric wall oven. They do cook somewhat differently.

I went to a house for a function, and that kitchen had a large (48inch) range with two (gas?) ovens AND 2 electric wall ovens PLUS built in MW. It is the type of house that often has caterers.... Is your kitchen this big?

Other ovens:
    Steam oven is very popular right now. I would consider that over a warming drawer/oven, if you have limited space. Again, you need to decide how you use your kitchen. If you need a warming oven for large dinners/group entertaining, that may be what you need.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Re Garbage Disposals

InSinkErator and Viking offer a 7 and 10 year in home warranty.

Waste King offers a lifetime in home warranty.

The consensus in the plumbing forum is WK is best and I concur. The ISE/Viking is a bit quieter but WK is superior in all other performance aspects.

Some specialty sinks offer specialty garbage disposal accesories. They usually only offer ones fitting the ISE since it holds the largest market share.If this does not apply to you get Waste King 9980.

Re Miele and "special" detergent and products.

You need enzyme based dishwasher detergent like Cascade packs available at Costco,Finish Turbo rinse aid, and Mort Salt Savor II for the built in water softner available at Lowes or Home Depot.

But If you can afford a custom home outfitted with the best high end appliances you can afford Miele/Somat branded detergent,risne aid,and salt available at your local Miele vacuum dealer. None in your area? You can order it from Amazon.com and even have it shipped to you on regular intervals. No need to go to the store or even think about it. It just shows up at your door when needed.

• montana800
    13 years ago

I am hearing that waste king disposals are louder than viking or ISE.

• jcasola5
    13 years ago

Just want to comment on fridge/freezers. I am in the middle of a reno and narrowed my choice to between Sub-Zero and Miele. Chose the Miele. To me, no contest on looks and interior quality, lighting, shelving, etc. Sub-zero is very solid, but looks very dated compared to the Miele. They really need an overhaul to keep with the new stuff on the market. Just my humble opinion. Have a look for yourself.

• djg1
    13 years ago

Opinions here are likely to vary -- from each other and the larger population. Bottom line: there are real differences between appliances but there is no objective fact of the matter as to which anything is the best. Performance differences might be most notable to the user on ranges, ovens, and dishwashers. The uber-high-end fridges? They do offer some different functionality and different sizing/integration options, but I'm not sure there's much basic difference in, say, a Sub Zero or a Samsung's ability to keep the food cold or make ice.

For ranges, I suppose the best name recognition across the country is likely to be Viking, which has ardent fans and ardent detractors on this board. Consumer reports surveys have noted unusually high rates of problems with some Viking products. Wolf also has excellent name recognition, wide availability and very good ratings in customer satisfaction surveys. Some folks like Thermador, which has an interesting elevated sealed burner -- a friend has their 36" range and is very happy with it.

Many folks on this board are keen on open burners on gas ranges, with BlueStar having been a leader in this area in recent years and, in the last year, Capital joining the fray with their "Culinarian" model ranges. Likely you already know the basic design difference between open and sealed burners. One or two others may be getting (back?) into the game.

Some folks are wild about French ranges, which can be very pricey.

Heck, some folks are wild about induction, which is a different kettle of fish entirely.

There are several layers of personal preference here, even if money is no object, or not much of an object. What size range do you want. What types of burners? What sort of oven or ovens? Other facilities? A grill? Once you've answered all those questions, you'll still likely have personal preference issues to sort through. For whatever stock you might put in one stranger's Internet opinion, I've ordered a 36" BlueStar range, with 6 burners, custom (slightly) burner layout (added about 150 bucks) and a cobalt blue oven door and lower (no charge for the color). It's supposed to be here next week but I don't have a review because I don't have it yet.

I'd suggest you go and look at some of these things and fiddle with them -- small differences in appearances may really strike you one way or the other and differences in ergonomics might matter as well.

Dishwashers -- I don't have even my own personal opinion what's best. I'm sure that our KA is not it, although it's ok.