Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eblazemc

help choosing between this bosch & this ge dishwasher- thanks!

eblazemc
10 years ago

I've been trying to decide between purchasing a Bosch 500 series model: SHE65T56UC or a GE model: GDT580SMFES.

There are some pros and cons to both for me that makes it a difficult decision, maybe someone can help.

The BOSH:
Rated 80 on consumer reports
+) The Bosch have the highest consumer reports rating on reliability and dependability.
+) Third rack option
+) The anti leak system it advertises
+) It has a Rinse option
+) It has an express option
+) Shorter all around load times
+) I like the way the display looks but I'm not sure if you can see time remaining while the dishwasher is running ( the Bosch I want to take back had the upper hidden panel and you could only see the time remaining display if you opened the door and interrupted the cycle)
?) The half load on the Bosch I'm questionable about though- The GE is optional half Top or Half bottom, I like that but I'm not sure about this Bosh half as many dishes thing. Wouldn't you just wait a little to completely fill it? Otherwise I can see more sense in the half top/half bottom thing more. I can see just running some cups up top etc..
*If I'm not understanding how that works please just let me know.
-) I don't like the design of the top rack itself as much- just the way the positioned the metal pieces, they tend to jut up more making cups tippier (if you get my meaning ;)
-) I don't like the 'design' of the bottom rack much either
-) And the Bottom rack does not have foldable or adjustable tines
-) Do not like the silverware basket, sections are small and even smaller at the bottom causing things you put in them to be real tight and I think it wastes more space.
--) Boshes are known for not drying dishes well and with the one I have I do have to agree whole heartedly.

The GE:
Rated 76 on Consumer Reports
+ & -) I think the control panel being hidden looks nice but don't think it's necessarily better. My husband seems to think that having it on top will get dirtier then the design of the Bosch with the controls on front placed under that little ledge.
+) Like the optional look of the unique color of the 'Slate' which is grey but doesn't show fingerprints and water spotting like stainless steel.
+?) Steam option to loosen caked on foods - don't know how well that works compared to just sticking them into the Bosch. Does add time
+) I like the the top rack design better, the metal area I spoke of on the Bosch were it juts up is flatter on the GE and I feel will make placing/loading on it easier were cups and that are less likely to be falling tipping over in the process.
+) Silver ware basket can be sectioned into three sections 1 larger piece and 2 smaller pieces that can be placed anywhere in the unit.
+) Silverware basket is roomer and less confined then the Bosch
+) The bottom rack tines are foldable, removable, repositionable and adjustable
+?) Like the idea of the Wash temp option for a Boost in temperature- just don't know how well it works. Might even be comparable to Bosh's Extra Shine Option but don't know for sure though.
+) Wash Zones option- Targeted Upper or Lower Rack washing
+?) The Piranha food pulverizer- Advertised as a special thing, don't know the difference of that and the Bosh's filtration system
-) Longer Wash time
-) GE Rated Mid way on Consumer Reports for Reliability and Dependability.
+?) Has a hidden vent with fan dry for the purpose of getting the dishes dryer- Don't know how well that works or if it even does get the dishes dryer since I haven't tried the unit like I did with the Bosch I presently have (model: SHX4ATF5UC) and am taking back to the store.

Side Note: When I take the unit I have back to the store I will have to pay an additional $200 more for the prementioned Bosch or an additional $60 for the GE.
Is the Bosch worth spending $140 more then the GE?

Any help and advise on the matter would be so greatly appreciated and please be as specific as possible. I really do want to hear as much as I can about what you have to say so feel free to be detailed and wordy cause i'm looking for as much information and and experienced opinions as I can get.

I need to make a decision soon since I need to take back the Bosch I have since i've already spoken to customer service about it and in addition the store is currently running a 10% off sale on these appliances and I want to get the new unit on the sale so I don't have to pay more then I have to.

Thanks so much,
Tina

Comments (4)

• hvtech42
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think it's a toss-up. GE's new dishwasher line has been well reviewed but isn't as proven as Bosch. Do you care about heated dry?

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 15:13

• hvtech42
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

And to add on to my previous post and help clear up some of the differences I will talk about European vs. American dishwashers. Traditionally, the two functional differences between the two have been drying and filtration. American dishwashers had the grinder (like the GE you're looking at) whereas European dishwashers have a cleanable filters. This is becoming less so, because American dishwashers are moving more and more towards the European method of filtration. Pretty much all the top of the line dishwashers (including my GE) have the cleanable filters, and I believe Whirlpool has migrated completely to this in all their brands. I have to say, having had the grinder in my old Kitchenaid, I don't really miss it. I was worried at first about the filter being high maintenance, but it really isn't.

As for drying/heating the base system for American dishwashers is a dual purpose heating element at the bottom that both heats the water for washing/rinsing and heats the air for drying if you pick that option. If you step up you'll get a fan that actually moves air as well as heating it. Basic European dishwashers like that Bosch will just have condensation drying. The pros to this are that its energy efficient and doesn't need that big heating element at the bottom. This means they can use a smaller inline water heater which does a better job heating the water for washing. If you step up in European dishwashers you get a fan also. I think the fan makes a big difference. I would guess the reason my Kitchenaid out-dried my GE though is instead of having a single purpose element, it had a separate element as part of the drying blower. So instead of relying on the big element at the bottom to heat the air for drying, preheated air was blown into the tub. To my knowledge there aren't any dishwashers with that design produced anymore.

• harpwannabe
    8 years ago

We got the complete GE slate line and are very happy with all. My dh wanted a Bosch dishwasher (initially I did too), but we went with the match. The GE dishwasher is so quiet! Easy to load and fits plenty. I like the utensil rack. I have not messed with different controls, just use normal load, dry heat. There is just the two of us so I only run it every 5 days or so. I do hand wash delicate china and bowls as well as pots and pans. I love my GE slate appliances.

• salex
    8 years ago

This is just my personal preference, but after buying a Bosch two years ago, I am hooked on the 3rd rack for utensils and short items. I love it more than anyone should love anything about dishwashers. Again, totally personal preference.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022