Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help choosing between this bosch & this ge dishwasher- thanks!

Posted by eblazemc (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 22:29

I've been trying to decide between purchasing a Bosch 500 series model: SHE65T56UC or a GE model: GDT580SMFES.

There are some pros and cons to both for me that makes it a difficult decision, maybe someone can help.

The BOSH:
Rated 80 on consumer reports
+) The Bosch have the highest consumer reports rating on reliability and dependability.
+) Third rack option
+) The anti leak system it advertises
+) It has a Rinse option
+) It has an express option
+) Shorter all around load times
+) I like the way the display looks but I'm not sure if you can see time remaining while the dishwasher is running ( the Bosch I want to take back had the upper hidden panel and you could only see the time remaining display if you opened the door and interrupted the cycle)
?) The half load on the Bosch I'm questionable about though- The GE is optional half Top or Half bottom, I like that but I'm not sure about this Bosh half as many dishes thing. Wouldn't you just wait a little to completely fill it? Otherwise I can see more sense in the half top/half bottom thing more. I can see just running some cups up top etc..
*If I'm not understanding how that works please just let me know.
-) I don't like the design of the top rack itself as much- just the way the positioned the metal pieces, they tend to jut up more making cups tippier (if you get my meaning ;)
-) I don't like the 'design' of the bottom rack much either
-) And the Bottom rack does not have foldable or adjustable tines
-) Do not like the silverware basket, sections are small and even smaller at the bottom causing things you put in them to be real tight and I think it wastes more space.
--) Boshes are known for not drying dishes well and with the one I have I do have to agree whole heartedly.

The GE:
Rated 76 on Consumer Reports
+ & -) I think the control panel being hidden looks nice but don't think it's necessarily better. My husband seems to think that having it on top will get dirtier then the design of the Bosch with the controls on front placed under that little ledge.
+) Like the optional look of the unique color of the 'Slate' which is grey but doesn't show fingerprints and water spotting like stainless steel.
+?) Steam option to loosen caked on foods - don't know how well that works compared to just sticking them into the Bosch. Does add time
+) I like the the top rack design better, the metal area I spoke of on the Bosch were it juts up is flatter on the GE and I feel will make placing/loading on it easier were cups and that are less likely to be falling tipping over in the process.
+) Silver ware basket can be sectioned into three sections 1 larger piece and 2 smaller pieces that can be placed anywhere in the unit.
+) Silverware basket is roomer and less confined then the Bosch
+) The bottom rack tines are foldable, removable, repositionable and adjustable
+?) Like the idea of the Wash temp option for a Boost in temperature- just don't know how well it works. Might even be comparable to Bosh's Extra Shine Option but don't know for sure though.
+) Wash Zones option- Targeted Upper or Lower Rack washing
+?) The Piranha food pulverizer- Advertised as a special thing, don't know the difference of that and the Bosh's filtration system
-) Longer Wash time
-) GE Rated Mid way on Consumer Reports for Reliability and Dependability.
+?) Has a hidden vent with fan dry for the purpose of getting the dishes dryer- Don't know how well that works or if it even does get the dishes dryer since I haven't tried the unit like I did with the Bosch I presently have (model: SHX4ATF5UC) and am taking back to the store.

Side Note: When I take the unit I have back to the store I will have to pay an additional $200 more for the prementioned Bosch or an additional $60 for the GE.
Is the Bosch worth spending $140 more then the GE?

Any help and advise on the matter would be so greatly appreciated and please be as specific as possible. I really do want to hear as much as I can about what you have to say so feel free to be detailed and wordy cause i'm looking for as much information and and experienced opinions as I can get.

I need to make a decision soon since I need to take back the Bosch I have since i've already spoken to customer service about it and in addition the store is currently running a 10% off sale on these appliances and I want to get the new unit on the sale so I don't have to pay more then I have to.

Thanks so much,
Tina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help choosing between this bosch & this ge dishwasher- thanks

I have the PDT750 which I think is a higher end GE than what you're looking at, but I'm very happy with it. I'm sure that model is good too, from everything I'm hearing now it sounds like GE has a really stepped up their game on dishwashers, which in the past has been considered their weak point. I have to say I really like the wash zones option. Performance on all modes is great, and I am a very heavy user of dishwashers. And having had a Kitchenaid/Hobart for almost 40 years I think I have pretty high standards in how a dishwasher should perform. The GE will probably do a better job drying than the Bosch with the fan. I've never had a Bosch so I can't comment on how they dry, but my GE dries great. Maybe not quite as good as my KA, but very close. The only thing I don't like about the GE is how long it takes, but I think that's typical of most dishwashers nowadays. The 1 hour cycle (don't know if the one you're considering has that) actually works pretty well, but if you try to run it on a really heavily soiled load it will miss some spots. I was expecting those results when I did exactly that as a test, and I was quite surprised it got as much as it did.

Now, I'm not expecting any new dishwasher I buy to last that long without repair, but I do expect it to last a good amount of time and be easy to repair and get parts for (I like to repair my own appliances). Since my Kitchenaid (which still worked fine, by the way, but my wife wanted a new look and less noise, and I was happy to have one that used less energy) I've gone through 3 dishwashers (including this GE). The first one was Electrolux (what a joke, I don't know what I was thinking). Then was an LG, which was a great performer, but it was plagued with reliability issues and getting warranty service was a pain. By this point I was very disappointed in how dishwasher technology had progressed and was getting ready to pull my KA out of the garage, but then I decided to take a risk with one more dishwasher. So far I am very glad I did. We'll see how it holds up.

o
RE: help choosing between this bosch & this ge dishwasher- thanks

And to add on to my previous post and help clear up some of the differences I will talk about European vs. American dishwashers. Traditionally, the two functional differences between the two have been drying and filtration. American dishwashers had the grinder (like the GE you're looking at) whereas European dishwashers have a cleanable filters. This is becoming less so, because American dishwashers are moving more and more towards the European method of filtration. Pretty much all the top of the line dishwashers (including my GE) have the cleanable filters, and I believe Whirlpool has migrated completely to this in all their brands. I have to say, having had the grinder in my old Kitchenaid, I don't really miss it. I was worried at first about the filter being high maintenance, but it really isn't.

As for drying/heating the base system for American dishwashers is a dual purpose heating element at the bottom that both heats the water for washing/rinsing and heats the air for drying if you pick that option. If you step up you'll get a fan that actually moves air as well as heating it. Basic European dishwashers like that Bosch will just have condensation drying. The pros to this are that its energy efficient and doesn't need that big heating element at the bottom. This means they can use a smaller inline water heater which does a better job heating the water for washing. If you step up in European dishwashers you get a fan also. I think the fan makes a big difference. I would guess the reason my Kitchenaid out-dried my GE though is instead of having a single purpose element, it had a separate element as part of the drying blower. So instead of relying on the big element at the bottom to heat the air for drying, preheated air was blown into the tub. To my knowledge there aren't any dishwashers with that design produced anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here