Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short Trip Moves Of Heavy Appliance Items

Posted by laat2 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 22:28

Driving down a busy major street today and a flatbed tow truck looms up beside me going in the same direction. On the back of the tow truck was a chained down forklift. Not that unusual, except on the forklift was what appeared to be a new very robust in size and weight chained down Hobart brand transformer or perhaps a transmission. Obviously an urgent delivery in progress.
Just something to keep in mind if you have something outsized and no idea how to shift it to a new location.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short Trip Moves Of Heavy Appliance Items

Thanks, however I'm more concerned about getting a 3-400lb appliance (i.e. range) from the drop-off curbside into my house since most places will not bring these heavy appliances directly into your kitchen, but will deliver to your street.

o
RE: Short Trip Moves Of Heavy Appliance Items

I don't have any personal experience with them but learned about "air sleds" that are designed to specifically move heavy appliances like ranges and refridgerators. I came across these when I was researching if I wanted a range. And how could installers get them into position while NOT mess up my new hardwood floors. It impressed me.

They are lightweight sliders that have air pumped into them from a vacuum. Sounds like it would not be sturdy enough but they have videos of this. These are designed more for moving into position IN the kitchen but I don't see why you could not use them for your purpose. Or maybe a heavy appliance dolly from the street or garage and the air sled indoors. They are available in 400lb, 650lb, 850lb and 1100lb capacity models.

Pretty impressive videos. I have no affiliation with them at all. Just thought it was such a cool and deceptively simple tool. They even have a special Sub-Zero attachment. And designed to move over smooth floors but has a special attachment for carpet and rough floors and a spacer attachment for appliances with legs. Very interesting concept. I'm going to get an appliance installer that uses these or buy it myself to have. No reason now to damage floors or cabinets with these available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Sled overview w video

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here