Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akcorcoran_gw

Anyone have experience with Pacific Sales for appliances? (In Bes

akcorcoran
11 years ago

Or Best Buy is one of the ones that has been revamped and has a HUGE appliance department with virtually every brand of appliance. Shockingly, it even has the entire line of Miele appliances, right down to their rarely-seen full-size wine cooler!

It is "insourced" to Pacific Sales (sort of like they use Magnolia for high-end video and audio and "GeekSquad" for computer stuff.) Pac Sales looks like it's a company that is based out west - not much info here in MD about them.

Anyone have any experience with Pacific Sales?

I would *never* buy a Miele from our Best Buy alone - the old guys were clueless and would look at the tag in front of you when you asked a question. They fellow I worked with from Pac Sales was actually pretty knowledgeable.

I'm trying to decide if we should buy our Miele there - the only other place that carries the line, now that Ferguson has abandoned it, is a store that's 40-miles away. While it's a local store that offers nice service in sales, they don't service Miele at all - and they'll charge my $70 to deliver.

So, I guess I'm looking for any feedback or experiences with Pacific Sales - outside of Best Buy most likely since they just partnered.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Sales website

Comments (23)

• DCJersey
    11 years ago

I can't comment on Pacific Sales, but I wanted to address your statement about no Miele dealers near you. Have you looked at the dealer locator on the Miele website? I have no idea where in MD you live, but there appear to be at least 12 authorized Miele dealers within 25 miles of Baltimore.

Also, are you averse to buying online? Many places online offer rock bottom pricing and free delivery. They also do not collect sales tax (though technically you should be reporting that and paying it to the state on your own).

• akcorcoran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi! It's funny - I am in Baltimore but a lot of those "dealers" aren't actually! Ferguson has shut down it's Miele sales. Two that I called no longer offer them. Several are like Best Buy - they can order them but they have no one on site that really knows or services them.

So, it's actually the latter that I'm asking about BECAUSE I would order on the Internet if they aren't going to really be doing anything but ordering it (and taking a cut?!) It's just a matter if whether it's better to have some Miele-authorized distributor install it?

I've got a great plumber - and I like a good price but I sort of worried about having no relationship with anyone connected to Miele at all?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

A few years ago, Miele doubled the warranty on appliances installed by a Miele-certified installer; that certainly might make a difference to you. But I don't know if that policy is still in effect.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I'm on the west coast where most Pacific Sales stores are standalone. They are a real appliance store as far as I can tell--just as ignorant as any. :) The one near me has more Miele/Gaggenau/Bosch stuff on display than the actual distributor.

I almost bought some stuff from them and they offered to hold it in their warehouse until I was ready to have it installed and start the warranty. And while they can't do anything about UMP pricing, they were willing to deal about the delivery or other items to help make up for it.

I would have no qualms buying high end stuff from them, but then I am much closer to the Pacific than you are. :P

• weissman
    11 years ago

Appliance warranties are handled by the manufacturer not the retailer so it technically doesn't matter who you buy the appliance from. On the other hand, some retailers do have their own authorized repair departments.

• akcorcoran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My understanding is that Miele doesn't have many authorized repair departments in just your average joe appliance store, and certainly not the big box ones, but have trained service technicians in various areas?

It's really interesting looking at the dealer list again - some of these are stores I've never ever heard of and can't seem to find (one sells "quilting" supplies and also appliances?). One that is listed as a service technician dealer as well does not do service on them - they just call someone for you. Hmmmm?

Got to find out if the deal chac_mool mentioned is still valid - I felt like I read somewhere that it was no longer offered but it would certainly be something I'd pursue if it was.

Thx -

EDITED TO ADD: Just talked to one of the local dealers. The offer to extend a warranty because of the install being by a Miele-authorized technician is no longer active. He also said that even though they are listed on the Miele website as a service technician, that Miele always wants their independent technicians to look at it first, so it's exactly as I thought - I call the local appliance folks, they call Miele, Miele comes. Not exactly sure I need the middleman there?

I know the Diamond has that 5-yr warranty on it - not sure if the Dimension Plug comes with anything like that? Maybe I'll have to go broad and ask the differences in practicality (vs their marketing chart...)?

This post was edited by akcorcoran on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 16:24

• Fori
    11 years ago

Quilting supplies? I guess I can draw a line. Miele does vacuum cleaners. Vacuum cleaners are often at "Sew 'n' Vac" stores. High end sewing machines for quilting...

I wonder if that store only has vacuum cleaners and employees would look at you like you had two heads if you asked them about their dishwasher selection.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I live out west, Southern CAlifornia. I bought all my appliancces from Pacific Sales, Miele DW, Electrolux oven and speed oven, Electrolux induction cooktop and Electrolux wine fridge, Jenn-air 48" built in Fridge. I even bought a set of Maytag washer and dryer from them, as well as a TV for the master bedroom and a "Toto" for the master bath.

I was very happy with these purchases as well as the installation of the above. All were done at the "Scheduled times" and in a professional manner.

Unfortunately, even after close to 7 years now , I can not comment on Pacific Sales Repair Service, as nothing has "Busticated" yet!!

The only thing I did not buy at Pacific Sales was a Fancy conventional Smooth cooktop, (Caldera), that succer didnt last much more than a year, and was problematic even under the 1 year warranty, with little or no help from the store I bought it from, the distributor or the manufacturer.

Anyway that succer's in a trash heap somewhere---should have bought the cooktop at Pacific Sales, in the first place.

Good luck with your hunt, hope you are as fortunate as I have been, (save for the Caldera cook top).

Gary

• Sms
    11 years ago

Bought an LG FD refridgerator from their BestBuy integrated store recently. About three hours after it was delivered and installed and they hauled away the old fridge the thing quit working. Called them up and at first they tried to tell us we'd have to wait for another delivery window to get it swapped out which was a few days later. After protesting a bit they agreed to return the old fridge that same day. Some food went bad but we were satisfied that they did the right thing. Overall I'd say the pricing (for non-UMP) and service was good and pretty good selection too.

• akcorcoran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone. I'm torn because the price is the same for the Miele Dimension Plus at both (usually the Miele prices are fairly fixed,) but the local appliance store wants to charge $150 for installation and delivery. If they were also going to service it, it would be one thing, but if they are just going to call Miele, Pac Sun can do that too and I pay nothing for install and delivery?

Hmmm...

P.S. The quilting store - Stitches Etc - does sell Miele vaccums but they also sell their appliances too, including dishwashers. They apparently just LOVE Miele. It's the strangest thing ever! Check it out: http://www.stitchesetc.biz

• missbennett
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Funny, I just searched for Pacific Sales, because I had never heard about them either, and am now in the market for some appliances. We just had a few open around Boston in Best Buy stores. I didn't know about them, but discovered them when we had gone into Best Buy to look for some dorm items for my freshman daughter. I was really surprised - I never would have equated Best Buy with such high end appliances. The one in Dedham is sort of hidden, because the Best Buy is blocked visually from the cement barriers that line the road (it is past Legacy Place on that main road.) We had been shopping at Legacy Place, and headed down to look at a mini-fridge. My daughter was NOT happy! (She correctly guessed that we would be spending some unplanned time there.)

I was fascinated by the Monogram induction demonstrated online - the water boiled so quickly! They had one in the store - It is definitely not all hype. They said that the surface is cool and you can put a piece of paper between the cooktop and the pot, turn it on, and water will boiling in less than a minute. The paper stays cool. What I was even more surprised by was that the sales staff really knew the products - that has not been my experience at Best Buys (or for that matter, other big box stores, such as Lowes/Home Depot). It is hit or miss. The guys at Pacific Sales/Best Buy have had some in-depth training about the products. They also had three people on! I NEVER see that at our local Lowes. I also don't get to see Advantium ovens, or those gorgeous roll out shelves, or the huge Thermador refrigerators (my head barely reaches the top shelf!) While I will end up buying when the time comes from wherever I can negotiate the best price, I really like the sales staff at the Dedham Best Buy/Pacific Sales. (They should really shorten the name!) While there I observed a customer who was having an issue, and one of the salesmen were working very hard to come up with a solution - I liked what I was hearing. I'd recommend them. Especially the Dedham store, because I felt like I was being informed rather than pressured. I'd like to buy from them.

• missbennett
    8 years ago

I wish that the Dedham Pacific Sales / Best Buy had Miele - I asked, and was told that they couldn't carry it because of some distribution problem - weird. I LOVE our Miele Dishwasher. We bought it in 2002 at a high end store, so it is now 13 years old. Not one problem (I'm afraid to type that, even!). We initially spent about $300 more than the other decent dishwashers, but have in the long run saved a bundle (no expensive diagnostic visits and "fixes" and no having to buy another one). We even "upgraded it" by buying the same model off of Craigslist (that one sadly had not lasted - the pump had gone, and the owner did now want to fix it). We were able to switch the skin to stainless, and install the top silverware rack/switch out the bottom rack. Nice upgrade for $100!

We've had to buy three refrigerators in that time (two had compressors go bad) and we are on our third stove; the original one was a 50's one which came with the house, then one who's board we replaced twice before giving in, and now are on a Frigidaire slide in, which is problematic.) We've paid for two washer and two dryer units. Miele was more expensive initially, but we have come out ahead, and have avoided headaches.

Pacific Sales / Best Buy, why can't you carry Miele in Massachusetts???

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I bought all my appliances from Pacific Sales for my 2013 remodel. They gave me a price for the entire "package" (Thermador built-in fridge, Bosch induction cooktop, Bosch dishwasher, Sharp microwave drawer and Zephyr hood) that was at least as good as I could get online.

For those who don't know the history, Best Buy used to sell some appliances, more middling models. They opened Pacific Sales as a stand-alone higher-end appliance store, but it was wholly owned by Best Buy. Pacific Sales wasn't doing great and they closed some, and moved others into Best Buy stores in place of their previous appliance departments. We still have two stand alones nearby - one in San Francisco and one in Redwood City - one of them is closed Sunday and the other is open, but I don't remember which is which.

• missbennett
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

To add to your comments, sjhockeyfan325, I had never heard of Pacific Sales until I walked into Best Buy and saw their display. It is sort of odd - I don't recall seeing any advertising, however I don't watch tv much. I'm more apt to watch Netflix.

The new display was truly amazing (not what I expect from Best Buy) - they had this huge wall interactive display - if I remember correctly it was for just one of the brands. I would love to see stores like that have an app, where you could scan a barcode on an appliance, and it would appear in a mock up of your kitchen. For kitchen design, you should be able to add a floor plan, input an image of doors/colors/countertop, then place virtual appliances.

The Pacific Sales/Best Buy in Dedham also had some more mid-range brands, but those high end ones are so beautiful! By the way, I'm glad to see that others are choosing to mix up their appliances - I really think that is the way to go - different brands really do different types of appliances better.

Oh, in case anyone is looking to call up the Pacific Sales/Best Buy (I wish they would shorten that name!) the salesman I was speaking with said to not call the main number - it can take a long time. They have a direct line - I just dug the info out of my purse; (781) 320-1894 (the 0 might be a 6 - sorry, I was in a rush). If anyone visits one of those stores, and wants to call the store later, make sure to get their direct line.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Pacific Sales was acquired by Best Buy in 2006. They were a privately held company before that. They were very popular through out SoCal and some Northern California locations. I actually think they were all through the west coast. They also sold bath and kitchen products not just appliances. When they were bought by Best buy, the Kitchen and bath part went away at least in the best buy stores. I don't know if they stand alone stores still sell bath and kitchen products. I used to visit Pacific Sales when I lived in SoCal. My local Best Buy sells Miele in Maryland. Wonder why Mass stores can't sell Miele.

Good luck!

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Our standalone Pcific Sales stores do carry bath and kitchen products, not just appliances. Sorry I didn't realize they existed before Best Buy, but they're wholly owned by BB (apparently since 2006).

• monika2024
    8 years ago

I've used them for my appliances and so far so good. They replaced my washer because I thought it was too loud when filling up with water even though apparently this brand is loud, they still exchanged it without a problem.

• dretutz
    8 years ago

I have bought Gaggeneau oven, Viking range, Bosch dishwashers from Pacific Sales. Great salespeople who are knowledgable, good bargains, excellent "as is" appliance sales. Approved installers are also top. Never a problem in 10+ years.

• Dennis Jacob
    7 years ago

I just visited both BB and Pacific Sales website, and no mention of Gagg or Miele products.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    7 years ago

Pac sales does carry gaggenau out west but not nation wide. And miele has their new AMDS factory direct program...which most large companies hate so they probably won't carry it either.

• Dennis Jacob
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The Reno Gagg dealer mentioned that they were doing all Miele because of their program. No inventory, no delivery and Miele does the installs and service too. So they dropped Gagg and everyone else. Now they just do Kitchen and bath design, cabinets and installation of those items.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    7 years ago

Their are a few dealers out my way who have made similar, if not quite as drastic, changes because of miele's system. I can tell you that it is not all roses as they are running into some growing pains in ny.