Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Outdoor propane Grill ?

kksmama
10 years ago

I love that I can cook fish indoors now that I have a real vent over my rangetop. But I like going outdoors, all year in Florida, to grill burgers, chicken, and steak. I need a new propane grill, and am willing to spend around $1000 (if I must). I'm not interested in using charcoal, and need as much surface area as possible.

Costco has a Kitchenaid Deluxe 304 stainless for $750, reading other threads here I've considered the Weber Genesis. Are there others to consider? I don't need to be able to cook low and slow, I do need reliability and for the grill to stand up to driving rain, beating sun and high humidity without rusting.

Comments (14)

• Sms
    10 years ago

I have the Weber Genesis-- it's great. You might want to check out Swiss Grills Zurich-- very nice for about $1k.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

I have a relatively simple, 4-burner Weber Genesis now for about 7 years. It's excellent. Gets to 600 degrees in under 15 minutes and turns down very low as well. Easy to change out the tank and portable. No issues though I need to replace the flavor bars this year -- those are sold at my grocery store.

I used it two weeks ago though in our climate it's best to cover and wheel it into the garage during the snowiest months (though not necessary). It has a cabinet below. Only comment is it would be nice to have a shelf in there. We paid about $500 -- no idea how much it is now. But there are more deluxe models with rotisseries and larger capacity. And Weber has good customer service if needed.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for the replies, I've ruled out the KA/Nexgrill.

I'm very concerned about rust and would prefer stainless everything including grates, I've never had any other features (smoker, side burner, infra-red, rotisserie) and therefore wouldn't miss them. I'd prefer to buy something made in the US, or North America. Would prefer to spend less than 1k if I can get 8 years or more of use. Florida weather is tough on outdoor things and we usually don't cover our grill because we use it often.

Looks like Broil King is significantly less money than Weber, I'll be able to see both in person at a local Lowe's.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks rococogurl, people seem very happy with their Genesis grills, but the model seems to have changed somewhat and gone up quite a bit in price :( I just hear so much about how great Webers are that I'm afraid not to buy one....but the Vermont Castings grill we bought at least 8 or 10 years ago has been fine, so on a price per year basis was surely a fabulous value.

• Golden David
    10 years ago

Get a Weber, never look back, never buy another brand of non-built-in LP grill.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

If you don't have natural gas, get a grill with the doors in front. That way, you don't have to go around back to turn on and off the gas. I have a Great Outdoors (out of business) that is rust-proof. Even the nuts and bolts holding it together are stainless steel.

This post was edited by shuffles on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 17:36

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help. I saw Broil Kings and Webers today and am a little bummed out. I liked the $699 Broil King Baron but not nearly as much as the $949 Weber Genesis s330 with the sear station. The Genesis s310 has cast iron grids, is $699, and only 3 burners. The Webers seemed better quality and styling but with a much lower feature to price ratio.
    I think I'll have to go with the Genesis s330, but not until I find a coupon, or sale, or both!

• Golden David
    10 years ago

The 3 burner genesis with cast iron grids will sear just fine, if you let it preheat. In my experience anyway.

• stevep2005
    10 years ago

Did you take a look at the Solaire AGBQ-27GIR - it's just a little above your range but SS and IR.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, goldenguy. I'm sure you're correct, I had good searing with my old cast iron grids, but I'd really like to get stainless and not worry about rust again. Stevep2005, I appreciate the suggestion but am pretty sure the Weber s330 is the one for me.

• xc60
    10 years ago

We also have a Weber, working great still with over six years of use.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Decided on the Landmann sold by Costco, less than $400 in the store. It went together easily and I need every one of the 577 sq inches. I don't feel good about the fact it is made in China and I am unlikely to be able to get parts if necessary - but I think it is a great value and I do feel good about buying from Costco. The current Weber Genesis was much smaller and more than twice the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landmann stainless grill at Costco

• wallycat
    10 years ago

Curious how the Landmann grill is working out for you.
    We have a weber genesis nearing 8 or 9 years and starting to need things fixed and replaced. Maybe DH would rather do that but just in case...