Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How powerful a range hood is needed

Posted by char35 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 21:09

I'm getting ready to purchase a new cooktop and range hood (30") Contrary to some peoples experiences, I've had good luck with GE. (maybe it was just luck!) Wall Oven, 30yrs, Dishwasher-12 plus yrs., range - 15yrs. My new cooktop will be GE electric cooktop. The GE range hoods I'm looking at are: (1)- $557.00 CFM/sones 380/7.5 and (2)- $339.00 CFM/sones 240/4.4 The difference being that #1 is more powerful. My current hood is GE and 30 yrs. old, works fine and I have no idea how powerful it is, but seems to capture steam and smoke fine. I use the hood "occasionally" Would the cheaper one do the job just as well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How powerful a range hood is needed

Since it's just a standard electric cooktop, the cheaper one would probably be just fine, but chekc the manual for your new range just to make sure what they recommend. You really have to start worrying about CFMs when you get into the pro cooktops & ranges/rangetops. With that being said, the more CFMs, the more heat and steam it will draw which is a good thing. Also, make sure it is vented to the outside vs some I've seen that just vent back out a vent in the top. Also consider the sones--the quieter the better so you can easily cook & converse at the same time. Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here