Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribs1

Simplest design wall oven

ribs1
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I hired a kitchen designer last week and now I'm getting ready to dive in.

Right now, I'm shopping for appliances. Pretty much decided on a 36" Capital Culinarian along with a 30" single electric wall oven.

So far, I hate most wall ovens I have seen. I can't stand lots of buttons and digital readouts. I was a professional bread baker and I am used to nothing but a big dial. Our 2 ovens were as big as a garage and each one of them had one knob to control the temp and one button to control the steam.

Anyway, I wish I could find a professional looking wall oven with the least amount of programs, controls, buttons, features etc.

The only feature that I like about ovens are accurate temps and even baking. Nothing else.

Is there anything out there?

Comments (11)

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

Not sure it fits all your requirements but I do love the look of the GE Monogram single convection oven we got. Clean lines with two simple dials. Has worked well for us so far (one month of use) but I do not bake bread (not yet, anyway!).

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: ZET1

• davidro1
    13 years ago

"accurate temps and even baking" i think with convection you get good baking conditions, because the air temperature inside the oven cavity is evened out immediately.

i've not seen it written here before, but I'll mention that the surrounding material around the oven adds thermal stability (inertia). It's thermal energy in thermal mass and this helps keep temperatures more even than otherwise. Do you open the door much? In any case, when temperature overshoots and then comes back down, the more surrounding thermal inertia you have, the better. Insulation is a form of inertia too, but it doesn't try to store thermal energy in thermal mass.

Overshoot is a normal phenomenon in all systems that have power in them. How much overshoot, and then how much undershoot, this is the question.

Wall ovens are always a lot smaller than their face panel. Behind the face panel, you can add porcelain tile to the walls, back and top of the enclosure. You can add a layer of radiant barrier too.

If you took two identical wall ovens, one installed in a wall enclosure, and the other one left out on a stool and therefore exposed to the room air, and if you cooked identical foods in them and set the dial to identical numbers, you would get different results. The one surrounded by nothing but room air would perform the worst, because its temperatures would swing more, overshooting more and undershooting more.

Hth

• ribs1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David,
    That is interesting stuff. I am not opposed to convection. What I don't want is lots of electronics and digital readouts and such.

Thermal stability is what it's all about. I really miss the commercial bread oven. Ours was a Fringand 4 deck, 12 door with 40,000 pounds of firebricks in the base. On the rare occasion that we had to shut it down it took 3 days to go from 600 degrees down to ambient.
    Of course, I don't expect to have anything like this at home, but I would like a plain old good looking oven with simple controls.

• cruzmisl
    13 years ago

DCS seems fairly simple. Two dials and a digital readout. I don't have one though...

• plllog
    13 years ago

Bosch, Viking and Gaggenau all have knobs. There's a Viking that has little or no digital display, but it has funny ideas of how it works so read through all of the documentation first if you consider it. There's also a Smeg which is pretty simple, but it has a "feature" that it turns off when you open the door. The knobs on the Bosch pop in and out, I suppose for cleaning. It has mixed reviews. Gaggenau has a digital screen display, and touch controls for the timer and some obscure settings, but for most functions you just turn one dial to select the mode and one to set the temperature. It's also about the most expensive oven you can buy, but it's very accurate and even.

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

I have nothing to base this on other than what I've seen....

but I am MAJORLY intrigued by the gas wall oven by american range. I LOVE the look of it, I LOVE the way the doors open (looks easier for my back), and I love the fact that it appears to be a SIMPLE and HEAVY DUTY oven.

what I don't LOVE is the cost. yikes. and it's not a double. I want a double. I've found very LIMITED reviews of it - but they are all great.

It is gas. most bakers will agree that electric is better for baking, gas for meats/roasting. I do roast far more than bake... In the past I've had both electric and gas ovens. I don't really remember a difference. But I was younger and probably not really noticing... nor roasting/baking nearly as much as I do now.

I printed the pic out and have put it in my save folder. But when it's time to make the decision, I don't know what I'll do.

here's the oven: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/AROFG30.html

Here is a link that might be useful: american range oven

• xand83
    13 years ago

While I don't own one, I've always appreciated that Ikea's ovens fit that asethetic, for the most part. They are built by Whirpool in Europe. They might be too low-budget for you if you are getting a CC cooktop, but they are un-branded on the surface, so no one would have to know ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea's oven

• plllog
    13 years ago

Lawjedi, I've seen the American and they are lovely!

Just for the sake of putting it out there, in my experience gas ovens bake just fine so long as they have a good thermostat and hold an even temperature. Gas with convection you shouldn't even have to rearrange things for even baking. You can get the same kind of moist heat as you get with gas when roasting in an electric oven by putting in a ramekin of water next to the pan, or a little water or wine in the well below the roast.

In other words, choose a good oven and you don't have to worry about the fuel.

• burntfingers
    13 years ago

Ribs1, did you find your oven? I'm also a bread baker and it sounds like you're looking for what I'm looking for. I'd give a lot for a real deck oven with steam, but as you said, it won't fit in my kitchen or in my budget.

The only ovens I've found that come close are the Blue Star (gas only), American Range (gas, electric, or one of each), and the Viking 5302. Knobs, minimal or no electronics, good interior size. French doors on the BlueStar and the AR.

I'd love to know if you've made your choice, and what you chose. If you haven't looked at the ones I've mentioned, I'd like your opinion..... I've pretty much decided on a BlueStar cooktop but am still agonizing over the wall oven. (I want to be able to use full sheet pans, but the best I seem to be able to do is the 30" in any of the above, which will take a 3/4 pan.)

(And, pllog... gas ovens do work fine, unless you're trying to steam the oven for bread. All the steam just immediately goes out the vent....)

• sumit.dpfoc
    13 years ago

Hi there,

I think you should call person who can understand your requirements, analyze your kitchen and suggest a perfect oven for your kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial Fridges

• antss
    13 years ago

doesn't get much simpler than this:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1390283}}