Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donalyn_gw

Miele Oven not browning

Donalyn
11 years ago

Expensive new Miele Master Chef oven has been installed for two months and I have been unable to brown or caramelize on any setting or temperature. The techs have checked it twice and find nothing wrong except that my decades of cooking experience have not taught me how to use a Miele oven! Cakes, breads, cookies and homemade pizza turn out dry on the perimeter and raw in the center.
I have read the manuel and experimented with all the settings.
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I would like to be proficient at baking/roasting again.
Thanks.

This post was edited by Donalyn on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 20:32

Comments (15)

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Get a good oven thermometer and check the temps.

Also use, "I think they call it the "surround bake", rather than the regular baking modes. I may have the termonology wrong so maybe a "Miele Oven owner" can correct me.

Good luck with it, I hope we are able to resolve your "difficulty" here in GW!!

Gary

• wekick
    11 years ago

Is this happening with convection? Have you tried standard bake(no convection) and made sure the fan was not running? Have you used convection before? Even if you have used convection it can be different brand to brand. Have you checked the temperatures with your own independent thermometer? I bought two as they were inexpensive. I would check in different areas. I just posted on another thread about Miele about how I would check it. You probably need to check in the different modes as well.
    I would also ask what the techs did to check it. When I had difficulties with my previous ovens, the guy that came to check it never turned it on. Those baking modes are very complicated and if they are not cycling correctly, you can have a whole lot of trouble.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I expect Miele users would be happy to help you out if you'd be good enough to offer some specifics on the issues you are having. What, for example, were you trying to brown or caramelize and what didn't work?

• Donalyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Previously owned a Thermador convection oven for 15 years which worked perfectly and predictably. Recently, we remodeled the kitchen and selected all Miele appliances. Although I expected a learning curve, the oven is not performing well on any my usual recipes.
    Chicken pieces dipped in flour and topped with margarine did not crisp on convection or roast settings. With rack of lamb, I tried the 'browning" and was sure to preheat. No color on the outside and the skin was not done at the interior temp of 130 degrees. Butternut squash, tossed in olive oil, came out steamed rather than caramelized on convection at 400 degrees.
    The tech support suggested I bake one rack of cookies by convection to test for even distribution of heat. The cookies nearest the fan browned faster and were overdone. Since I love to bake during the Holidays, I selected this oven after being told up to six racks of cookies could be baked at one time!
    Also, the onsite servicemen plugged into the unit and tested the various settings on the board, but they did not turn on the oven. Also, neither had any cooking experience and had to read my manual to answer my concerns.
    I was advised to preheat for at least 30 minutes before using. Had this been stated at the time of purchase, another appliance would have been selected!
    I am buying a thermometer today and will be testing each mode in several places.
    Thank you for the input and suggestions as I am eager to get this resolved before inviting company for dinner.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I was advised to preheat for at least 30 minutes before using. "

They saved money on the size (watts) of the heating elements.

It also reduces the peak power demand of the oven and allows a smaller circuit (fewer amps) to be used.

Viking solved their long pre-heat problem years ago by using the broiler element to pre-heat even in bake settings.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 12:06

• wekick
    11 years ago

I had issues with my range oven and wall oven (different brand) and they tinkered for 7 mos trying to fix it. They replaced the oven and also computer boards they admitted were faulty but never could fix it. They did buy them back eventually. I would keep a written log of everything. Since they think everything is ok , you have to build your own case. It was shocking to me when i tested my oven that the temps were so far off. Yours may be an issue of the proper elements coming on in the right rotation. You may not be able to determine this by just checking the boards if the error is downstream from the boards. Maybe something is wrong with an element. There could be problems with the fans. You may also want to take pictures along with telling how you cooked something. I would also talk to a person on the corporate level. If you put it on a credit card, you may be able to file a dispute. This is time sensative. Miele seems to have left customers in the lurch on previous threads so you might want to consider this to have if all else fails. In the end my dealer I think put pressure for the buy back. I feel they have responsibility because that is who took your money. I would never let all of this go on again for 7 mos. I hope you don't have to go through too many headaches.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I don't know whether or not your oven is performing as it should.There have been reports of issues, for sure.

My oven was purchased in 2006 and I've never had trouble, nor have others here. I did need to learn how to use it which is quite different from previous ovens I've had. I knew that in advance.

The oven does require 30 minutes of preheating to come to full temp if you are using one of the settings that require preheating. I was told that prior to purchase -- it's a shame you were not.

For example, you mention "Chicken pieces dipped in flour and topped with margarine did not crisp on convection or roast settings." But the settings are more specific than that.

For example, if I was cooking chicken prepared that way, I would select roast, then select autoroast, then set the autoroast temperature to 425. Because that setting starts with a cold oven there is no need to preheat. In about 25 minutes, the chicken would be done and beautifully browned. BUT -- if the temperature for autoroast was not changed to 425 it would cook the chicken at 325 (that's the default) and the chicken would likely not be nicely browned and crisp.

With this oven, both the setting and temperature need to be selected each time. Reason is that each setting has a default or automatic temperature. Certain settings have a low to high temperature range. That info is in the manual and appears at the time when it's turning on. It is different -- for sure. It can be frustrating and they don't do a very good job (IMHO) of explaining it. I looked at it as a matter of learning how to make the oven behave for me IYKWIM.

As for the baking, I have done 3 trays of cookies in one oven. For multiple trays of cookies I generally use convection bake.
    But again, selecting "convection bake" will generate a 325 degree setting. If the cookies need to bake at 350, the sequence is bake, convection bake, and then 350. The oven will start to preheat at that point to 350 and will ding when it's there.

Since each oven only comes with 3 racks, it's not clear why anyone would say it does six at a time. That's just not right.

What a few of us have done to test to see if the ovens are heating properly is to buy a Betty Crocker cake mix, put a rack in the center of the oven (3rd rack from bottom) set the oven to bake, set the temperature given on the box and bake that cake. My oven, f.ex., bakes the mix to prefect doneness a the temp and within the amount of time specified on the box. If your oven doesn't do that, an adjustment may be needed.

Do you know if they checked the voltage setting to be sure you're not on the European voltage setting?

• Donalyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello, Rococgurl, I did try a packaged cake mix but used the convection oven at the 25 degrees less than the box directions. It was dry on the ends and raw in the middle. Will do another one (Valentine's Day!) as you have suggested.
    Now have an oven thermometer on hand to check all the settings and preheating time.
    Supposedly, they left the voltage at 206 when installing and increased it to 240 on the first service visit.
    I have never cooked chicken pieces at 425!
    So far, I am still hoping to make friends with the oven, but it seems we may be incompatible.

• Donalyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello, Rococgurl, I did try a packaged cake mix but used the convection oven at the 25 degrees less than the box directions. It was dry on the ends and raw in the middle. Will do another one (Valentine's Day!) as you have suggested.
    Now have an oven thermometer on hand to check all the settings and preheating time.
    Supposedly, they left the voltage at 206 when installing and increased it to 240 on the first service visit.
    I have never cooked chicken pieces at 425!
    So far, I am still hoping to make friends with the oven, but it seems we may be incompatible.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

When you say you "used the convection oven" it's not clear to me which setting was used -- there is more than one and then there are the combinations with convection.

I do not lower the temperature 25 degrees as they say. The box cake mix usually calls for 350. For the test, I cooked the cake in the middle of the oven (3rd rack from bottom) at 350, on bake (which is not a convection setting), in the correct size pan. If it is done within the time variation, that's a very reliable test.

They often need to change the voltage setting -- 240 is correct.

I swear by cooking chicken on autoroast at 425. It's so convenient since there's no preheating. I did 3 pounds of whole roasted yukon gold potatoes last night on the same setting, same temperature, same way.

Not liking the oven is another matter, of course. Or there might still be something wrong.

• weissman
    11 years ago

I have a gas convection oven but I NEVER lower the temperature - I use the temperature in the recipe but monitor the time - things usually get done a little quicker. I have a friend with a gas convection range and the convection feature automatically drops the temperature - I've told her to up the temp. 25 degrees when using convection - I would find that very annoying.

There have been reports in the past about Miele ovens not reaching/maintaining correct temperatures - that may or may not be your problem. I would follow rococogurl's advice and try simple things using basic modes on the oven. If those don't work then there's probably something wrong with the oven.

• daveliv
    11 years ago

Have you checked the oven temperature with an oven thermometer?

I have had a 30" Miele Master Chef oven for nearly 2 years. Good news is it works fine now. Bad news is it took a year and six or seven visits from the Miele repair people.

Donalyn, I had the same experience you did when I got the oven. Nothing was cooking properly; always much slower than expected and not browning. The repair people said it was working fine. I got a fancy thermometer and sure enough when the oven said 400, the thermometer said 340. It took many repair visits where they replaced all of the electronic guts, loaded new software and replaced the temperature sensors. Now it works fine.

Additionally, I wasn't used to all of the settings and not all settings work well at all oven temperatures. Regular "bake" doesn't work well at high temperatures (greater than 350). "Surround bake" preheats and maintains high temperatures better.

• wekick
    11 years ago

I am reposting this from the Miele vs Electrolux thread because it seems like a continuation of this thread.

" Posted by Donalyn

I set the convection bake to 375 with the oven thermometer in the center of the rack and at 340 degrees it sounded and displayed the selected temperature. Ten minutes later, it registered 375 degrees. No wonder my cakes are not turning out."

Was this to bake a cake? I would not use convection at all at least initially to bake a cake. Was 375 the temp called for? It seems high for a cake especially if convection is added.
    Actually 340 might not be too far off initially as a normal swing can be as much as 25 degrees on either side. I bet the Miele is much less though. I would let it pre heat 30 minutes to bring the oven into a more stable heat no matter what brand. More importantly what does the temperature do over time(30 minutes)? What is the swing? Also if you open the door for 30 seconds does the oven come back on right away to try to make up for that? I would try that check after you have watched it for thirty minutes. The different modes may behave differently as well but I would try standard bake without convection first.

"The next project is to roast a small turkey with the probe."

What will your settings be?

I think it might be best to post this over on your original post because you have some owners over there who can advise you. There are so many modes that you have on that oven. I am going to make a duplicate post over there to continue this.

• sarends
    11 years ago

We bought a floor model "Chef" about 6 weeks ago. I checked with an oven thermometer - the oven said 375 and the thermometer said 365. Then I plunked thermometer in boiling water and the thermometer read 198 degrees. I will test with another oven thermometer.

However, DW is very happy with the oven - she has used it 15 or 20 times since we purchased it and DW has loved it so far!

We have stopped lowering the temp by 25 for convection bake recipes as these were not getting done quite on time.

I would report back with a very specific and exact test with results - like the betty crocker cake test - we might try this with ours as a comparison!

Good luck!

• sarends
    11 years ago

Our daughter made "King's Bread" last night in our floor model Miele Chef oven - she made it exactly according to the recipe (I think it was convection bake @ 375 degrees for 20 minutes, but I might be wrong on that) and here is how it turned out!