Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waord

Need help w/kitchen appliances!!!

waord
12 years ago

Hello,

I am currently renovating my kitchen and need LOTS of help in choosing the appliances. I am looking to buy a 30" gas range as well as a dishwasher. I would like to go with the professional look and have been looking at many high end lines such as Viking, DCS, GE Monogram and Jenn Air. In my research, I have found many negative reviews with respect to the reliability of the high end name brands. That said, I would like to know which name offers me the reliability, functionality and professional look I want. I would like peace of mind knowing that my range and dishwasher will be working properly six years down the road without constant and costly service repairs. Or should I just scratch the high end appliances and buy a less expensive and more reliable appliances. HELP PLEASE..... Any feedback helps

Thank U

Will

Comments (4)

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Most all of us here in Garden Web, recommend using different manufacturers for the different appliances.

There is "NO Company" that makes the best or most reliable appliances, "across the board", so to speak.

Couple examples.

Miele. Just about all positive feedback on their dishwashers and Speed oven. Many mixed post about their ovens, (low temps), one poster , who has had 2 sets even went as far as saying buy them for looks but forget about baking in them (Parapharasing).

Jenn-air. Usually at the top or near the top of the list for reliability. Their older Cooking products had kinda "Hit & miss reviews" and probably more "misses".
    We do see a few posivite reviews on their new cooking appliances, but still too early to tell, (In my opinion).

We do need to know more about what you are looking for.
    Do you want gas or electric, Range, or cooktop and ovens,
    Budget, etc etc.

Not all high end appliances have poor reliability, but they do have high prices, and that Irks me a bit, and they are really no more reliable than the more reasonably priced appliance, It's just what some us want for our kitchens.

Gary

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Dishwasher

JD Power and Associates ranks Miele highest in performance and reliablity. The consensus here at GW is Miele dishwashers are also best for long term durability.

The only real problem some people have with Miele dishwashers is drying.Miele uses vented dry not heated dry.That requires rinse aid. Some people are adament they will not use rinse aid.

The TOL Miele DW,the Futura Diamond,has an auto-open door at the end of the cycle that allows steam to leave dishwasher.If you let dishes sit for an additonal 5-10 minutes the dishes are dry without rinse aid.Dishes don't bake,no melted plastics, far less chance of dishwasher fire.I don't think I have heard of a Miele dishwasher catching fire.

Pro-Style 30" Gas Range

For a combination of reliablity and performance I don't think you will find a better option than Capital Culinarian.Powerfull and even 23k btu burner simmers down to 145 degrees. Gas oven has optional self-clean as well as motorized rotisserie.You can read about them in several threads on this forum.

Capital does not sell enough cooking equipment to give JD Powers a statistically sound sample. It does not show up in their survey.Wolf wins for ranges,cooktops and ovens. Good gas range but lacks the stovetop performance of the Capital Culinarian.

Here is a link that might be useful: JD Power

• aprince
    12 years ago

Quite often the complaints you read are because of operator error. An example would be dishwashers not drying well when the users doesn't use rinse aid. Another example would be the Miele ovens stated above having low temperature when in bake mode. Bake has whole different meaning in other parts of the world and is meant as a finishing temperature. Surround bake provides what Americans think bake is.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

aprince, I believe there were at least 3 cases here in Garden Web where the ovens were swapped out because of low temperature problems. These were swapped whilst the ovens were under warranty. We have also seen posts where control boards were swapped out and happily one problem was "Solved", while the other poster said temps were closer.

Since these were warranty calls, would not they have been performed by "Actual Miele Techs" or at the very least, "Miele Authorized Service Techs"? Certainly before an appliance is replaced, other folks , "Higher up in the Miele Corporate Ladder" would have had to authorized the replacement???

So are we to believe that these "Miele Experts" would actually change out an oven under warranty or replace a mother board without first telling the user to use
    "Surround Bake" for higher temps, rather than "Bake"??

"Inquiring Minds Wonder"---especially after hearing numerous times, about the great Miele Service!

Gary