Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viking Hood vs Modern Aire Vent Hood

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 20:17

I currently have a 42" Viking Chimney Hood, 1200 cfm external motor.

New house needs a vent hood for over a 36" BS. I've been looking for a 27" deep hood this time.

Ventahood has it. But I'm so highly advised on this site that cleaning it is a bear.

Modernaire has it. But getting expensive.

So it brings me back to my trusty old Viking hood. I cannot do an external motor this time due to the location of the vent. So, I"m going with an internal motor.

Would it be a mistake to do a 1200cfm internal motor in a Viking?

Why is MOdernaire better than Viking? Why do I never see anyone recommending them? What am I missing?

Sorry for so many questions. I need to keep costs down, but I don't want to make any mistakes and have huge regrets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viking Hood vs Modern Aire Vent Hood

I have a 900 cfm Viking hood with internal blower. It's ok but not exceptional performance wise. Quiet it is not but hoods make noise.

What is exceptional is the excellent halogen lighting and ease of cleaning. The baffle filters are very heavy duty with multi mesh. They go into the Miele dw and come out perfectly clean.

I have an electric smoothie, not gas, however so I don't have discoloration that a friend with a ag Wolf gets, f.ex.

Some of it depends on the range being installed. With a high power gas range I don't think I'd be happy with this hood. But it fits my application. And it also depends on how much cooking and the type being done.

o
RE: Viking Hood vs Modern Aire Vent Hood

We are very happy with our ModernAire Hood. We have a 48" wide 27" deep 1200 CFM PS15-30. We went with ModernAire mostly for the styling. We wanted something with a little color and curves. They were great to work with and let us tweek the dimentions a little to fit better (I think ours is 28" high). We've been using it for about 6 months now and are happy. It is not exactly whisper quiet, especially on high, but you can carry on normal conversations. I usually put it on low if I'm cooking anything that generates any smoke at all. Only used high (or something above low on the dial) a few times when grilling or burning something in the wok. It is pretty easy to take the baffles out and put them in the dishwasher for cleaning. I don't know anything about the Viking. Our old kitchen had a Broan with worn out bushings that you could hear a mile away.

Sorry about the photo being a little out of focus. I really should take some better pictures. We also have not yet finished our backsplash tile.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here