Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twingle_gw

Anyone have 48" Wolf with propane fuel??

twingle
11 years ago

There is no natural gas in my area. My house is heated with oil. I always wanted a 48" Wolf range w/grill. I really would love to use gas but thats no possible. Does anyone have propane as a fuel source? Pro/Cons??

Comments (6)

• gw_monkeyjac
    11 years ago

I have a 48" BlueStar range with grill on propane and I love it. I don't notice any difference betwee cooking with natural gas or propane. What are your concerns with the propane?

• twingle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My only concern is that I don't know anyone who uses it as a fuel source for their kitchen range. I didn't know if it worked as well as natural gas. If there were concerns about leaks etc..How often do you need to refill tank etc. I really like the idea of a grill. I have 4 boys and I thought a grill would work great to throw hamburgers, chicken cutlets, small steaks etc on for them. Does it clean easily?? Sorry for all the ?? but I don't know anyone who has one to ask.

• kalapointer
    11 years ago

I have a Wolf Range top on propane. It works just fine. If you order a Wolf be sure to let them know if you are using propane so they can set up the range for propane. I was on Natural gas in my other house and I can't tell the difference.

• chas045
    11 years ago

I used to have natural gas and now have propane. I don't think you will have any problems since I believe wolf uses old classic burners. I have a KA glass cooktop with sealed burners that are a real pain for propane because all adjustment is with the center orifice sizes rather than simple wrench and screw driver adjustments that anyone can make. If you had a regular large tank installed you would rarely refill it since it would only be for the stove and BBQ too I suppose. One warning; it is real easy to forget to turn off the BBQ and empty a 20 gal tank. You could lose real money emptying a 250 gal tank!

The real problem with propane is the tank installation. It either has to be buried or protected. Since it is only a stove, perhaps there are smaller portable tanks available???

• gw_monkeyjac
    11 years ago

I can't tell the difference between propane and natural gas. It depends on the size of your tank and how much you cook as to how often you need to refill your tank. I have an auto refill service with my local propane company. They come on their own a couple times a year and fill my tank. I use the grill every single day. It's as good as grilling outside in my opinion. The grill isn't that difficult to keep clean. I scrape down the grates after each use. I line the grill cavity with foil so it's easy to keep clean as well.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

We brought in propane just for our 48" Wolf rangetop, but it's all burners, no grill. We have a 120 gallon, above-ground tank, and even though we have a large family and use the stove a lot, we just filled it the 3rd time (about 75 gallon fill) in the 5 yrs we've lived here (counting it's initial filling).

I hadn't cooked on gas before, so it was all new to me. As I understand it, the propane has more of a tendency to Whoof!...or more accurately, Whomp!... as burners start. We only have that happen with the back burners we don't use as often. It's startling, but apparently, to be expected.