Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Griddle for induction? Trying again...

Posted by eugenie11 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 20:01

I tried posting this in the Cookware Forum, but the postings over there are from 2005! Does anyone go there? Actually, they've got a lot of really informative threads (I'd never been there before, either...), but all the action seems to be over here and at the kitchen forum.

So. My question: can you use a cast iron double griddle on induction? I'm looking at some vintage Lodge and Griswold on eBay and they're gorgeous, but they all seem to have a ridge around the edge that raises the griddle surface off the cooktop and my understanding of induction is that the pan and hob have to be in contact.

Is this true? These are not reversible griddles, with the grill on the flip side. They are flat, but the edging makes them sit up high.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Griddle for induction? Trying again...

I have a couple of double sideds. They don't work at all on my portable induction. It doesn't recognize them. They do heat up on my Gaggenau, but don't work the way one would like.

Your best bet is a flat, round griddle. Lodge makes them. So do others. Maybe not vintage, but gorgeous can be had.

o

I meant to mention--Induction makers warn against the ridge thing. Hot air can build up underneath and burn you when you move it, and there are some rumors (I haven't been able to find credible confirmation, but it sounds possible) that this can also damage the cooktop.

Above the surface works. It's the continuous ridge that's a potential problem.

Unless you have zoneless, a round griddle will heat more evenly.

o

eugenie11: "My question: can you use a cast iron double griddle on induction? I'm looking at some vintage Lodge and Griswold on eBay and they're gorgeous, but they all seem to have a ridge around the edge that raises the griddle surface off the cooktop and my understanding of induction is that the pan and hob have to be in contact."

A two-part answer: on the bridged elements of our LG LCE30845 induction cooktop, the LG-included steel oblong griddle works fine. But the second part of the answer is more important to your question.

The second part is that a vintage Griswold cast iron 11" round griddle that we use on the 11" burner was cast with an outer circumferential rim that holds the underside of the main part of the griddle less than one millimeter above the Ceran cooktop surface, so the griddle touches the cooktop only around the rim. That one works very well on our cooktop, also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here