Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nineteenoeight

Paint Wolf Range?

nineteenoeight
12 years ago

A saleswoman suggested we have the Wolf Range painted rather than go with a range that comes in colors - she said a car paint shop could do it for a few hundred dollars.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

We have a very old house so find ourselves wishing to reduce the amount of stainless steel or chrome if possible.

We did like the Wolf better than the ones that come painted - don't want the high btu burners (tend to burn things already, lol) and like the look of the Wolf.

Comments (11)

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

You would want it powder coated, not painted. Powder ccoating is a lot more durable than paint. It's what they use for outdoor furniture these days and it can hold up to decades of abuse. It will cost you from $300-$1000 depending on where you are located, the color you want, your time frame, and if you just drop off the parts that you want done or you drop off the range and want them to pull it apart and put it back together. (I would NEVER want anyone but me or an appliance installer doing disassembly and assembly on my expensive range.)

Here's the most commong RAL colors available from powder coating shops.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Painting or Powder Coating SS is different than standard steel.

Auto Body shops are not used to this.

You need a speciality shop that deals with appliances or SS.

Finding said shop that knows what they are doing can be a PITA.

There are sealed burner ranges that offer colors like Viking and Bertazzoni.

BTW:High btu burners don't burn food. Uneven heat distribution burns food. Sealed burners are going to have a hot ring around pan and the rest not as hot. Food on top of that ring tends to burn. Good pans and long pre-heat help but don't eliminate that. Turn down high btu open burner and you are good to go. Especially if you are going with color, CC or BS is a no brainer.

• wekick
    12 years ago

deeageaux
    "BTW:High btu burners don't burn food. Uneven heat distribution burns food. Sealed burners are going to have a hot ring around pan and the rest not as hot. Food on top of that ring tends to burn. Good pans and long pre-heat help but don't eliminate that. Turn down high btu open burner and you are good to go. Especially if you are going with color, CC or BS is a no brainer."

I think that the OP is making a joke about the high BTU burners and understands that the burners are adjustable.

All ring burners make a hot ring of heat, whether they are sealed or unsealed. An open burner does not magically make a pan heat evenly. If you have a good conductive pan, yes you can eliminate that ring, even without a long preheat.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

I think the OP was making a half joke tongue in cheek....

All ring burners make a hot ring of heat, whether they are sealed or unsealed. An open burner does not magically make a pan heat evenly. If you have a good conductive pan, yes you can eliminate that ring, even without a long preheat.

It is not magic but engineering.

Open burners in question are not rings.

They heat what aproximates even.

No, you can not eliminate that ring made by Wolf sealed burners or similar burners. Not even using magic.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

If you have your range painted / powder coated and the finish fails you are screwed. Your warranty will also most likely be voided because you took it apart. If you buy a factory finished range and the finish fails they will be the ones responsible. I have read posts where Capital and BlueStar have replaced oven doors etc. because of finish problems.

• nineteenoeight
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone - will ponder, good point about voiding the warranty.
    Yes, half joke on the burning, but also know myself and tend to be more of a slow-cooker/simmer cook, rather than high heat/searer, so most likely would have the burners turned down most of the time. Therefore, not sure how beneficial the high btu burners are.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

I had a client that had a GE Cafe range powder coated to red with the high temp powder coat (Not all is suitable for exposure to high temps). Or at least the oven doors, which is all that really shows. It's been a couple of years so I don't know how it's holding up, but it sure looked good when it was done! I think it cost her around $500 to have done at a specialty powder coating business, not an automotive painter. Powder coating has to go in an oven to melt together and coat the item, sorta like old fashioned porcelain did and not every automotive paint shop will even deal with it.

If you don't want a high BTU range, then forget looking at pro style and stick with a regular range. You'll save money for something else.

• Kristi Herold
    8 years ago

I'm looking to do exact same thing (paint a stainless range door) for exact same reason (don't want high BTUs of a Bluestar). Curious if you went ahead and did this with success? Auto body shop or powder coating? Any advice appreciated! Thanks

• User
    8 years ago

Hmmmm.............now I wonder why she'd have suggested that ?

Because she doesn't sell ranges with nice rainbow colors ???

I be glad to sell you my bridge , it's in Brooklyn though.

• sarafinadh
    8 years ago

That just sounds like a bad idea in so many ways.... I have had powder coating done on stainless and I would not encourage anyone to do it to an item that takes a beating like a range.