Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momotom_gw

Miele UK Offers Telescoping Oven Racks - UNFAIR!

momotom
16 years ago

As many Miele oven owners have previously written, for an oven as expensive as a Miele, the company should at least provide, as an option, extendable oven racks as it's other top tier competitors do. In searching the web I found on the Miele UK site that for it's European market, they do. I love my oven, however, I found the racks on my 30 year old Whirlpool were easier to slide in and out. If you're interested, please write to the President of Miele USA as I plan to do requesting the company provide it's US market with the same options for it's more exclusive US oven as they provide for Great Britain and Europe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele UK accessories - Telescoping oven racks

Comments (21)

• antss
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They are comming , don't worry. Every market cannot have every product at the same time. It's not feasable from a global logistics standpoint. There are a very few exceptions to this rule.

• canuck99
    16 years ago

Ant,

Do you know something or is this widhfull thinking. I talked to a Miele sales rep in Canada and he tried to import a slider but the size is not correct ( 60 CM or 70 CM does not equal 30 in. I asked could it be retrofited in the future. He indicated no. I'm only a couple months way from moving ahead. Your right it is high end and should have it.

• momotom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree, as much as I like my Miele, the not so flawless oven racks, could color my decision in recommending the oven (for that price point) to others.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

How does fairness enter the picture? If you don't like the racks supplied with a Miele oven -- buy a different oven.

Personally, I've always found telescoping racks to be a PITA. More complicated to change rack positions, harder to clean, and just one more level of mechanical complexity to eventually fail.

How much trouble is it to pull out an oven rack, anyway?

Oh!, and just in case you haven't noticed, the telescoping racks from Miele are an extra-cost option. If they're worth the money to you -- knock yourself out.

Now that seems eminently fair to me. Why should someone who doesn't want telescoping racks have to pay for them.

Just my two cents.

• canuck99
    16 years ago

I only want one and I would pay extra for the extra. So you would not have to pay just me....

• antss
    16 years ago

canuck - I don't open my mouth especially around here without knowing the facts. There is no definite timetable, and even if there was , they usually are not met. Just ask the folks that ordered the first Freedom Fridges. Your rep isn't too bright. Of course the metric sized ovens are not the same size as the NA master chef series. They are not even sold in Germany. James beat me to the punch, not everyone thinks the ball bearing racks are the bee's knees. I do agree with you that in today's market choice is everything and the option shuould be there for those that want it. If those racks are the most important feature to you, you can save a ton of loonies on other ovens that do have them. At the end of the day, any cook with modest talent can bake in the oldest 70's era oven without fancy racks, lights, a computer, and convection fans.

• canuck99
    16 years ago

But I want to look cooking so my modest talent will not be noticed .......

So you think the Miele (Freedom) Master Cool Fridge will be delayed?

• momotom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jamesk,
    Your opening statement, "If you don't like the racks supplied with a Miele oven -- buy a different oven" was neither appropriate, cordial, nor helpful in this forum. There are people who expressed interest in this product in previous posts.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

momotom,

So what is your point? Are you saying the no one is allowed to post a comment unless it's in agreement with the original poster? I'm afraid I didn't find your premise that Miele was being UNFAIR, appropriate or helpful, either. UNFAIR to whom? Shouting "UNFAIR" (the equivalent of using all caps on line), hardly seems cordial, either.

If you're going to post highly subjective opinions here, then you need to expect some disagreement. I simply disagree with you.

No one is forced to buy a particular brand of appliance. Buyers need to make choices after comparing the pros and cons between various offerings from various manufacturers. After weighing the available choices, smart consumers will make a decision based on features and price point. The buyer won't always get every feature that he or she might want, but they're still free to choose the product that delivers the most for the price they're willing to pay.

Complaining that a manufacturer is UNFAIR because they don't include a particular feature that YOU want to see on their product, regardless of price, is just plain silly.

• antss
    16 years ago

Afraid I have to agree with James here. Momo , you can't chastise someone here for simply stating the obvious. Do you think that it's helpful to Mr. Miele and Zinkannn to recieve a groundswell of correspondence asking them to politely "gimme what I want"? They already have a good idea of what the marketplace wants AND what they can sell profitably. One without the other is not good longterm.

"There are people who expressed interest in this product in previous posts."

............if so why didn't you just join those instead of shouting from your soapbox about how Miele is keeping it's serfs down? Also should the Europeans complain that they don't get to buy the 30" MasterChef series? The folks at Miele would be chaing their tails for months trying to make everyone happy. I'm sure there are 5-7 customers out there that would love a Miele oven with an all glass door in mint green. Should they stir the cyber pot to lobby for this product or should they just go buy a Dacor oven?

Now, I'm all for free speech, so more power to ya, if you can get enough people to write in. But, like James says don't get bent outa shape when someone disagrees with YOU. You'd be plenty pissed if Mr. Miele wrote back and told you that you are not helpful running his business and a lot of people have told him that the regular racks are just great, so buzz off.

• llaatt22
    16 years ago

Thank you all for reminding me of something. Has anyone heard anything about Miele adding an automatic lemon squeezer to any of their ovens?

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Ooh, that and an automatic baster and cake doneness tester would be great.

• lboise
    16 years ago

There have some valid points made here, but don't you think you guys are being a little hard on someone who simply wants the Miele racks to slide as easily as a 30 year old Whirlpool? Sheesh.

Unfortunately writing letters won't help. I started a grass roots campaign and personally sent Sharp over two thousand letters begging them to make a right-hinged microwave. And they still don't. Ever try to make up two thousand fake names? LOL!

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

I agree with lboise that the hysteria over the criticism that an oven doesn't have a telescoping rack are getting a bit well, hysterical. A telescoping rack is hardly in the realm of automatic squeezers, basters and whatever else.

James, has a point that telescoping racks have their limits of appeal too, and that it is hardly unfair that a vendor doesn't offer this feature. However, momotom has perhaps valid reasons to be disgruntled and James' and antss' reasons for dismissing that she might find it useful are fairly preposterous.

That said, here's my reckoning on it. I dont' have a miele oven but I do have an oven with a (one) telescoping rack at the very bottom.

- 6.5 times out of 10, it makes no difference to me whether my oven has a telescoping rack or not. Either coz I'm not using that rack or that there is nothing unique about the pan I'm using that makes me appreciate the telescoping vs. the not esp since I want to get into and out of a hot oven asap.

- 1 times out of 10, it is a bit of a nuisance with the extra sliding paraphernalia which is certainly a slightly bigger deal to remove than a plain and simple rack which slides right out. At those times, I'm very grateful that only the bottommost rack is this telescoping affair and not the other racks because I seldom need to "move" the bottom rack out of the way (since the bottommost rack is never really in the way of a cooking process) but I often need to move the other racks.

- 1.5 times out of 10, I'm glad of it - either because I've got something heavy and slippery going in and out of the oven or I'm cooking something delicate in a water bath and boy is it ever handy to have the ever so smooth rack slide all the way out so I can access said item to remove it with no sloshing or no stiction/friction to contend with with a heavy pan on the rack which comes out 3/4 of the way.

- Another 1 out of 10 times, I wish I could have the telescoping rack on at least the second rack too coz most ovens and most recipes want you to cook at the center of the oven rather than the bottom most rack. But then again, see 2.

Terribly scientifically loggged as you can see. ;-)

So, on the whole I'm glad my oven has a telescoping rack. BUT it is nothing that would be a make or break deal for me. But that's just me.

Lastly, antss, while I many many times find that your observations are particularly sound and logical, this last post is more mind-bogglingly servile and genuflecting of the vendor than any company needs or should expects. A consumer hardly needs to make it their business to ensure that a proprietor not be troubled or disturbed with a recommendation.
    (1) If Miele receives a groundswell of mail of any kind, smart money would bet that they (a) would be pleased out of their gourds that they have engendered that much enthusiasm and (b) would make haste to address the complaint.
    (2)HOW could Miele or ANY company "know what the marketplace wants" if said marketplace is not to send them the corresp.???? This makes no sense.

On the latter, sometimes people here forget that while Miele makes good products, that it isn't a charitable venture - this is NOT run out of the Vatican, folks. It is a profit making enterprise. Their motives are the same as any other company - to maximize return on their investments. James and antss etc. might feel that they, and by extension anyone else, must need only what Miele already provides because Miele has effectively told 'em so, but I can assure you that "the marketplace" is not so easily condescended to. I love my Miele gizmos and appliances but, believe me, I've got a list of what is good and what is not so good about them on each of 'em. It's not about freedom of speech, it's independence of thought. & yes, I recognize that you are not obliged to have that either.

lboise, I wouldn't admit that on a public forum. :-)

• antss
    16 years ago

lboise - no I don't think we're being too harsh! The OP was the one that fired the first shot saying someone wasn't being nice or helpful because of an alternate opinion. I was going to make a snide remark in my last post about the effect of letter writing campaigns but didn't. I'm glad you talked about their effect. BTW - Gaggenau Europe has a right hinged micro. Sales are not stellar, hence the reason you don't see them and why you letter(s) got nowhere.

Mindstorm - I never said (s)he wouldn't find the racks useful, merely that momotom can't complain when when his/her argument is called into ??? The lackey to a corp. master reference stings a bit. Forward thinking co.'s like Miele do their own research about trends, consumer wants, and perceptions. It would be bad business to sit around and wait for the public to write in and tell you what a great or horrible job you are doing or to learn what products you should have . I think in the dustup my feeling that feedback is helpful was lost. Of course the top guy wants to know what's going on in the street. (well most of the time). My point was/is that there are pleanty of options for ovens out there. Certainly one of them can fit your need/wants, without spending a lot of people's time trying to get a private company that's not in the custom business to make you what YOU want.

• lboise
    16 years ago

(I was totally kidding about the RH microwave campaign!)

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Antss, I must have generated some REALLY REALLY bad karma after that previous post because I have been sick to the eyeballs since the day after I made that post. ;-)

I do think of yours as a particularly rational voice here on a forum where it is easy for posters to become shrill as the stress and aggravation of a remodel escalates, which is why your previous to last post surprised me.

I am sure that Miele is a forward thinking company and that they do an excellent job of preemptive design on their products. However, any good system design concept calls for a mechanism for "closing the loop". It would not be bad business to listen to customer feedback, it would be bad business NOT to. Actually, you've said as much, later on in your last paragraph, and I agree with you. That one position was pretty much was the sum total of my previous objection.

• Not_Sure
    9 years ago

Notwithstanding the banter above in this thread.... :-)

Has Miele introduced telescoping racks or similar, either as a standard part of the ovens or as an add-on accessory, to their latest wall oven offerings?

This post was edited by Not_Sure on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 22:04

• lee676
    9 years ago

Aren't the "24 inch" Miele ovens really 60cm? I'd expect those *would* be compatible with UK-market glide-out racks.

I know Gaggeanu recently added glide-out racks as (pricey) accessories for both their 24"/60cm and 30" ovens, with both sizes available from the US accessories department.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

3 telescoping racks were "standard Equipment" in my 2006 Electrolux Icon oven and at the time the Elux oven was probably about half the cost of the Miele.

I, in fact, @ that time tried the Miele oven racks, and it was necessary to lift the racks up "slightly" in order to pull the racks out~~~that , "to me", would have seemed to be a "real Joy" when doing a large Thanksgiving Turkey.

I in fact, (back around 2006-2007), complemented several ladies here in GW on their "Great Arms" which "said women" developed from lifting and pulling out those Miele Non gliding, non telescoping Racks!!! (LOL).

Gary

• Not_Sure
    9 years ago

Per the manual, it looks like maybe the "FlexiClips" allow for telescoping / gliding racks, but it's not totally clear.