Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achauer_gw

Steam damage to dishwasher cabinet panel?

achauer
10 years ago

Has anyone ever experienced damaged to the finish or paint on their dishwasher cabinetry panel? My cabinet maker was encouraging me to stay away from a panel-front dishwasher for that reason, but it may be that his information is inaccurate or outdated. Is it true for some models/styles but not others?

Comments (16)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Our cabinet place tried to convince us not to get a panel, but we ignored her. So far we haven't had a problem, but we haven't had it installed long either. We don't notice steam coming out of the top, which is what she was concerned about, so maybe it is model-dependent?

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

I think that was a problem - years ago. These guys are way behind the times. If a DW takes a finished panel - then install a finished panel.

If you're worried - check out the DW model, and see where the steam vents.

Our Miele (7 yrs old) has a small vent ( 1.5 x 3 inches) on the front panel which is stainless. It's probably 3" above the panel.

• achauer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking - I certainly hadn't heard of that problem from anyone else!

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

My experience --- They look great, gorgeous, beautiful, but .....

our house already had the custom cabinet panel on the front of the DW and it looked very nice, matching the cabinets and all. Previous owner chose all that.

When it came time to replace the DW, it was going to be very expensive-to-impossible to find a cabinet maker who could make us a custom panel for the new DW, especially a panel that matched the exact wood grain and stain color including the yellowing that comes with age, etc. (paint color changes with time, also).

For that reason, we did not get a custom cabinet panel for our DW when we completely remodeled our kitchen last year. DWs rarely last beyond 7 - 10 years anymore and we decided to spend the money elsewhere.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

One model of KA seemed to be doing that and it may have been corrected.

Panel on my Miele is 10 y.o. and I love the look and convenience. Since appliances tend to date a kitchen I also feel it helps on that issue.

If the cabinets are new it's easier. In our other place, with a retrofit, I went with the SS panel on the Miele.

The cabinet maker may not be sure of how to do it but the spec sheets for the various dishwashers solve the issue.

• stephpilot
    9 years ago

I don't know about panel front dishwasher, but I just renovated my kitchen with all new ikea cabinets and panels last year, also bought a brand new stainless steel frigidaire gallery dishwasher. the dishwasher is at the end of my counter so there is a panel that stands beside it. that panel is now swollen and the paint has cracked blistered, falling off. on the left side of the dishwasher (when looking at it head on) there is a hose that connects thru a vent that fills the tub when starting. well when it runs, steam can also escape thru this vent which caused the panel to swell and blister. I called both companies ikea and frigidaire, they blame each other.

solution i bought a new panel and painted the inside with a oil based paint, hopefully that will work.

• Steph S
    9 years ago

I bought an Ikea kitchen and integrated dishwasher and its not that old. The dishwasher has cracked all the cabinets surrounding the dishwasher including the top of the panel of the dishwasher.

Just had Whirpool come out and inspect and they can not see any fault with the dishwasher. (Typical) so now in the process of sending the same email to Ikea as they said I had to call Whirpool first. So much fun. Its pretty bad.

• Jakvis
    9 years ago
    Laminated pressboard or foil wrapped cabinet panels do not do well around dishwashers. If you have these type cabinets do not install an integrated dishwasher. These panels seem to be the most likely to blister and swell.
    Real wood panels hold up much better in these situations but you still need to make sure you take care of your wood with cabinet polish..
  • Nannette Anderson
    8 years ago

We purchased a Parade Home with all the upgrades in June 2014. By November 2014 we started seeing our stain fading off the front panel of our dishwasher wood front panel. Then our dishwasher front computer panel froze up. I had to google how to reset the computer board. 2 months later the computer panel froze up again. I called the expert to come look at it. He said that #1 the dishwasher was put in at a tilt and the steam was making the stain come up and get into the computer board. He thinks that the weight of the wood panel tilted the dishwasher and caused the problem. The stain has faded on the top of the panel already. I have to pay $275 for a new computer panel on a KitchenAid dishwasher that is only 1 1/2 years old. I don't know if I should take the issue up with the builder? Of course we only have a 1 year contract...But I feel this resulted because he was uneducated about KitchenAid and wood front panels. Like xedos mentioned in the last comment, wood panels are made for Miele, Bosch, or Asko where the steam does not effect the front panel. This is so frustrating to me. (If you don't have experience building "high end" homes than DON'T BUILD THEM!!!)

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

@Nanette -- While reading your post I was thinking 'she must have a Kitchen Aid." I've read this complaint before -- it was been discussed here. I would google the issue and see if you can turn up the old threads. It may be an issue with the dishwasher, not the builder.

• ashwinee
    7 years ago

We have an IKEA kitchen with integrated dishwasher, built some time in mid 2012. It was installed by the previous owner to update the kitchen before selling the house. This model of dishwasher has steam vents on the top to the door such that steam exits between the counter top and top of the door.

The panel has significant damage, and this is in overall dry bay area, California weather.

Our dishwasher is next to the sink and we suspected there was a leak from the sink but that does not seem to be the case. We have caulked around the sink a couple of times but that has not made a difference.

We went to Ikea store to look for replacement panel and were told they are no longer made. Whirlpool said that faulty installation is to blame and they cannot do anything about it.

I plan to buy replacement panels that match the size and install them anyway. New white panels do not match so I might get stainless steel ones to match the other appliances.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I'd love to hear.

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

I see that I posted up above my paneled Bosch dishwasher. Just wanted to add an update - it's been I use now daily for 2-1/2 years and we haven't had any problem with steam or with damage to the panel or the cabinetry.

• knucifora
    7 years ago

@Ashwinee, I have the exact same problem with the same Ikea (Whirlpool) Renlig dishwasher. How have Ikea/Whirlpool resolved your issue? I'm about to file the same complaint. Thanks for any advice!

• R P
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a Bosch custom panel and though it was cut following the Bosch template and instructions, it has swollen and chipped. Aside from being ugly, it prevents the door from closing all the way so I've had to remove it. Bosch is coming on Monday to look, but I think next time I would just avoid custom panel.

• dlg71261
    11 months ago

What Bosch series did you have .
    I’m looking at the 800 series
    And don’t want that problem with painted cabinets