Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcderion

Which Wall Hood w/Capital 30' Culinarian

mcderion
12 years ago

Hi,

My wife and I are purchasing a townhouse and the builder will allow us to select our appliances from among the brands carried by Ferguson (a national plumbing and building supply company). We're leaning toward a Capital 30" Culinarian range top (which Ferguson can get). The problem is trying to pair it with a hood. We're allowed to choose from among the following brands: Faber, Zephyr, Best, Vent-A-Hood, Wolf, Viking, Dacor, Broan, Franke, Kitchen Aid, Maytag , Jenn-Air, Whirlpool, and Miele. Initially, I'm ignoring most of these brands and am focusing on Vent-A-Hood and Zephyr. I'll also spend some time looking at Faber and Best/Broan.

My impressions so far:

-- Vent-A-Hood (specifically, the CWEH9 model): seems as if it could handle the Culinarian, a little pricy, but I have concerns about cleaning - I also wonder if there's a bit more hype than reality with their Magic Lung blower

(http://www.ventahood.com/hoodmodels.jsp?id=142)

-- Zephyr (focusing mainly on their Venezia and Verona models) very nice looking, but not quite sure if they are functionally up to handling the Culinarian - I'm often swayed by aesthetics; but, in this case, functionality should definitely take precedence (and I'm trying my best to keep that in mind).

http://zephyronline.com/products/essentials_europa/venezia_wall

http://zephyronline.com/products/essentials_europa/verona_wall

I'd be most grateful for comments and suggestions; especially, if I'm ignoring a brand in the list that you think I shouldn't.

Thanks,

:Paul

p.s., A Modern-Aire was our first choice, and is carried by a nearby Ferguson. Unfortunately, the particular Ferguson branch the builder uses claims not to carry them .... grrr. There's no reason that I needed to include this postscript; but, I was annoyed and felt the urge to let off steam.

Comments (8)

• labbie
    12 years ago

We are in the process of purchasing a 36 inch Bluestar rangetop, and for various reasons cannot go with an external blower. Two local places have recommended Faber over Broan based on our wish for as "quiet" an internal blower can be (I'm sure it won't be quiet, but quiet"er" hopefully).

We haven't looked into Modernaire or other brands at this point so I'm anxious to read the feedback to your post.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

I am really sorry but honesty dictates.....

The CWEH9 is desperately lacking in depth at 21" its not even close.

The Venezia has mesh filters, not what you would normally put over a real pro range, stainless baffles will out perform mesh with ease , as for the Verona sorry to say that hood is the worst of the 3 from a functional perspective. Very small capture area and again mesh filters.

From your list above I would look closer at Wolf, Viking, Dacor and Modern-Aire, some Broan hoods will also work for you.

From A sizing perspective form good to excellent

30 x 24
    36 x 24
    30 x 27
    36 x 27

Clearly I am commenting on function only and not looks. again sorry for my bluntness.

• mcderion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Trevor, I appreciate your honesty ... it's exactly what I'm looking for!

I'll take a look at the brands that you've suggested ... and I'm still really bummed that we can't get the Modern-Aire :-(

I do have another question: is capture area determined by the size of the hood itself (e.g., 30" x 27"), or is it determined by the size of the hood's filters?

Thanks,

:Paul

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

Capture area is the size of the mouth under the hood that smoke and grease can get into, not the size of the hood. Again if you look at the size of the glass hood in relation to the size of the mouth of that hood it's a huge difference.

Do you have to buy from Ferguson's ? might your contractor cut you a little slack with this one area of your appliance list.

• mcderion
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Unfortunately, yes ... the builder is a subsidiary of a (very) large, national company; and, from their point of view, they're being very accommodating by allowing us to select our appliances from Ferguson's rather than just offering (as an example) GE. But, who knows, perhaps if I keep asking, they'll find a way :-)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Boy, I'd be very ticked off if I wasn't "allowed" to buy the hood I wanted. Isn't it YOUR money? :)

Would they compromise by giving you a credit for a Fergusons hood and let you source the MA? Or can you email the manager of the Fergusons you know sells MA and get it in writing that they do sell MA? Then you could show your Fergusons. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd try harder to get what I want. What? Does that make me a b!tch....

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Ahem.

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

breezygirl - Nope. It makes you a smart consumer. When spending the kind of money that these high end appliances cost, one should absolutely get what they want. No sense in getting something else and then having buyers remorse and/or regret.