Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Cooktop Surfaces - Stainless vs. Glass vs. Porcelin

Posted by mikejstone (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 18:46

What is the best surface for a gas cooktop in terms of cleaning and normal use? I see units with stainless, black glass, and black procelin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Cooktop Surfaces - Stainless vs. Glass vs. Porcelin

Our son's gas range has tempered glass and he likes it. We have white porcelain and we like it. They are both about equally easy to keep clean. Make sure you get sealed burners.

o

Are you asking about the top surface or the surface under the burners? I ask because this has been an issue for me. I have a Monogram that is stainless everywhere except under the burners - that surface is black enamel. Even with care when cleaning, I have very fine scratches in the enamel. I actually chose the Monogram over the DCS because of the enamel, thinking it would be easier to clean than the brushed stainless top.
I think I was wrong. The brushed stainless already looked like it had fine scratches and I could probably use a little more elbow grease to get off the burnt on food. It might have been easier to clean.
As far as the upper part - the cosmetic part that people see, I think stainless is the best. Even when you get a fine scratch in stainless, it's really not that noticeable. When you scratch an enamel surface, it's hard to repair just right.
I am not familiar with glass under a gas cooktop.

o

I have found the SS top on my DCS range very easy to keep clean. Most nights I just top one of the grates and wipe with damp cloth so nothing burns on.

o

In response to chefnewbie, I am more concerned with the surface under the sealed burners. We are looking at a Bosch dual fuel that has black glass, an Electrolux that has stainless, and a KitchenAid that has black porcelin. We really like the Electrolux but we want to be sure that the stainless won't be a problem to keep clean and relatively scratch free.

o

I had a Thermador stainless gas cooktop for 18 years and it wasn't difficult to clean. However after a number of years the stainless area underneath the burner discolored due to the high heat. Thermador told me that this was normal.

Four years ago we remodeled and I picked a Dacor gas cooktop with a black porcelain top. The black porcelain is still black of course, but there are some small spots around the burners. I think it's where little spots of grease burned on. They don't just wipe off but I've used a degreaser to minimize them.

Now I also have a GE gas black glass cooktop at my vacation home. Now that I've discovered CeramaBryte I don't hate it as much as I used to. But remember shiny black glass will show dust! So you have to use a microfiber cloth on it every day to remove the dust. The CeramaBryte is a great cleaner/polisher. It actually helps keep the top clean.

What's the perfect finish? If someone here knows please tell me.

o

I used to like the glass on my Bosch until it imploded and shattered into a million pieces. I was not amused.

I'm getting stainless this time around.

o

Like eandhl, I have a DCS with a stainless surface beneath its sealed burners. This surface is really easy to clean because it doesn't get hot enough for any of the slops and spills to cook onto it. You would need to score a direct hit onto the burner itself to create an icky mess.

o

I want a stainless top free standing gas (duel) range (36") -- I've had the black glass top and hate cleaning it. I've also had a Thermador stainless cook top and it was easy to clean but that was years ago. So I'm looking at the Bertazonni (which is really too Euro looking for my 1837 New England house and I suspect cleaning issues with gaps near the flame ignition area)is there anything else out there for a duel range/oven (36") under $6K with a stainless top? I've heard about service issues with DCS from my appliance dealer and on this forum. Wolf is coming out with a high-end professional range model with a stainless top (about time) but it will be over the top in $. Bosch only comes in 30". I'd take a GE if the cook top part was stainless. Any thoughts? Help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here