Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikejstone

Gas Cooktop Surfaces - Stainless vs. Glass vs. Porcelin

mikejstone
15 years ago

What is the best surface for a gas cooktop in terms of cleaning and normal use? I see units with stainless, black glass, and black procelin.

Comments (8)

• fandlil
    15 years ago

Our son's gas range has tempered glass and he likes it. We have white porcelain and we like it. They are both about equally easy to keep clean. Make sure you get sealed burners.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I have found the SS top on my DCS range very easy to keep clean. Most nights I just top one of the grates and wipe with damp cloth so nothing burns on.

• mikejstone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In response to chefnewbie, I am more concerned with the surface under the sealed burners. We are looking at a Bosch dual fuel that has black glass, an Electrolux that has stainless, and a KitchenAid that has black porcelin. We really like the Electrolux but we want to be sure that the stainless won't be a problem to keep clean and relatively scratch free.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

I had a Thermador stainless gas cooktop for 18 years and it wasn't difficult to clean. However after a number of years the stainless area underneath the burner discolored due to the high heat. Thermador told me that this was normal.

Four years ago we remodeled and I picked a Dacor gas cooktop with a black porcelain top. The black porcelain is still black of course, but there are some small spots around the burners. I think it's where little spots of grease burned on. They don't just wipe off but I've used a degreaser to minimize them.

Now I also have a GE gas black glass cooktop at my vacation home. Now that I've discovered CeramaBryte I don't hate it as much as I used to. But remember shiny black glass will show dust! So you have to use a microfiber cloth on it every day to remove the dust. The CeramaBryte is a great cleaner/polisher. It actually helps keep the top clean.

What's the perfect finish? If someone here knows please tell me.

• arielitas_mom
    15 years ago

I used to like the glass on my Bosch until it imploded and shattered into a million pieces. I was not amused.

I'm getting stainless this time around.

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

Like eandhl, I have a DCS with a stainless surface beneath its sealed burners. This surface is really easy to clean because it doesn't get hot enough for any of the slops and spills to cook onto it. You would need to score a direct hit onto the burner itself to create an icky mess.

• sfberk
    15 years ago

I want a stainless top free standing gas (duel) range (36") -- I've had the black glass top and hate cleaning it. I've also had a Thermador stainless cook top and it was easy to clean but that was years ago. So I'm looking at the Bertazonni (which is really too Euro looking for my 1837 New England house and I suspect cleaning issues with gaps near the flame ignition area)is there anything else out there for a duel range/oven (36") under $6K with a stainless top? I've heard about service issues with DCS from my appliance dealer and on this forum. Wolf is coming out with a high-end professional range model with a stainless top (about time) but it will be over the top in $. Bosch only comes in 30". I'd take a GE if the cook top part was stainless. Any thoughts? Help?

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County